Wish list.

simpjkee

1. I would get rid of the hint window when listing a cache. Keep hints optional, but get rid of the window. This is because cachers see the window and feel compelled to writing something in it even though they cacn just leave it blank. That would get rid of the hints like "e-mail me" and "no way" and "not now" etc.

2. Provide cachers with a way to search for archived caches. When I first started caching, I found a multi, but when I got home it had "disappeared". I e-mailed the owner to see what happened, but no reply. Now I know that the cache diappeared because it was archived though you can still log a find for an archived cache. However, it's been so long that I don't have a clue what it was called or who the owner was. So I'm SOL. I want this option not only to log archived finds, but also to view logs and such for caches that were around my area years ago.

3. Not allow traditional caches to be placed within .1 of puzzle caches. I know of one such occasion in Papago Park that has caused a mess and a traditional that was just published a week or two ago that is literally less than 75 feet from a puzzle cache that was published a month or so ago.

4. Allow audio/video files for use in puzzle caches. I know and have heard ideas about how to use video/audio files for puzzles that would be brilliant. However, right now that is not allowed. This is a hard line to toe considering the overwhelming possibility that copyrighted video/audio would be used. Like a song for example. Maybe this will be possible when geocaching becomes big enough that it will sign a deal with iTunes or something.

5. Add that when an e-mail notification is sent to the owner of a cache, the notification should say if pics were posted. Sometimes cachers post pics on a cache page, but the owner doesn't see them since the owner just reads the e-mail.

6. Allowa owners to see who is watching their caches/tb's/coins/etc.

Edited by simpjkee

1. "Keep hints optional", but get rid of the hint box and it's decryption feature? Are you serious? I hate stupid hint entries too, but the hint instructions are quite clear enough to any semi intelligent person. It says, If you don't have a hint, leave it blank. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid. Leave this one alone.

2. Already been beaten to death. TPTB already relented, and indicated they were going to bring this back. They just didn't say when. It seems to be a low priority.

3. Something wrong there. The 528 foot restriction does apply between Traditional and Puzzle caches unless there are extenuating circumstances.

4. I don't think it's ever going to be allowed, but if I ever see a cache that requires downloading itunes, etc. - IGNORE.

5. This idea has some validity and I would appreciate this feature. I'm sure this has been mentioned in the past.

6. What is behind this overwhelming curiosity of owners wanting to know WHO is watching. TPTB have given in to overwhelming demands in the past, but I don't see them caving on this one. It's a privacy issue. I would just remove the notice indicating that anyone is watching.

4. Allow audio/video files for use in puzzle caches. I know and have heard ideas about how to use video/audio files for puzzles that would be brilliant. However, right now that is not allowed. This is a hard line to toe considering the overwhelming possibility that copyrighted video/audio would be used. Like a song for example. Maybe this will be possible when geocaching becomes big enough that it will sign a deal with iTunes or something.

I for one am *very* glad this is gone. Someone was bound to get mad and upload some sort of virus to a cache page. The reviewer checks the cache and is the first person to get nailed on this. No thanks. Good riddance.

I for one am *very* glad this is gone. Someone was bound to get mad and upload some sort of virus to a cache page. The reviewer checks the cache and is the first person to get nailed on this. No thanks. Good riddance.

excellent point. never crossed my mind

I would like a way to store TB's and coins without having to create a coin vault. Perhaps the ability to give them a "dormant" status. You would still have them in your inventory, but they would not be listed as such at the bottom of every page when you write a log (and have to sort through them to find the TB or coin you REALLY want to drop off). They would still be listed on your account page and under trackables owned from your profile page, of course, just not at the bottom of the new logs page.

I would like a way to store TB's and coins without having to create a coin vault. Perhaps the ability to give them a "dormant" status. You would still have them in your inventory, but they would not be listed as such at the bottom of every page when you write a log (and have to sort through them to find the TB or coin you REALLY want to drop off). They would still be listed on your account page and under trackables owned from your profile page, of course, just not at the bottom of the new logs page.

You could mark them as missing :D

Really? Would that take them off my list, but still let me retain ownership and write logs for them (such as allowing friends to discover them, or using them to keep track of personal milestones like caches we hide)? It would be nice if it would!

1. I would get rid of the hint window:

I disagree.

2. Provide cachers with a way to search for archived caches. :

I agree, within limits, probably should not show original coordinates, just distance and rough direction from spot.

3. Traditional and puzzles are not allowed within 0.1miles, but that's for the hidden final coords not the posted coords of the puzzle.

4. Allow audio/video files for use in puzzle caches.

Oh please don't, nothing is more annoying than opening a cache page and having an audio file start.

5. Add that when an e-mail notification is sent to the owner of a cache, the notification should say if pics were posted: May be difficult since the notification is sent when the log is entered, but then the pics are added as a separate second step, after the notification has been sent.

6. Allowa owners to see who is watching their caches/tb's/coins/etc.

I agree and its been suggested often but TPTB don't seam to like it.

Really? Would that take them off my list, but still let me retain ownership and write logs for them (such as allowing friends to discover them, or using them to keep track of personal milestones like caches we hide)? It would be nice if it would!

Yes, it's like the TB is in limbo; not in any container, not in any one's hands but all your ownership privileges still apply.

Yes, it's like the TB is in limbo; not in any container, not in any one's hands but all your ownership privileges still apply.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info!

In regard to #5, I'd love to see something like that though I could understand if this might put a lot of extra stress on the mail server. Also I wouldn't want an email for each individual photo upload anyway - if someone uploaded 10 photos I wouldn't want 10 emails.

As an alternative, how about either:

1. A daily summary email of photo uploads

Subject : Geocaching Daily Photo Upload Summary

Body:

Photos were uploaded to the following caches owned by you:

Cache xxxxx : Photos uploaded 2 ----- [View Gallery Link]

Cache yyyyy : Photos uploaded 3 ----- [View Gallery Link]

or

2. Put the "last photo upload" date on the Owned Caches page:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/owned.aspx

If I could see that date, (along with the ability to sort my list of caches so that the most recent photo uploads were at the top), I'd be happy to go and check look at the photos without having to be sent an email.

Edited by sdarken