Paperless GeoCaching with the iPhone

There are a number of us that are using the iPhone for paperless geocaching and I thought I'd start a new topic as a landing place for us to discuss how we use this marvelous device, software we've found for it, tips, techniques, workarounds, etc. Anything having to do with using the iPhone (or even the iPod Touch) for paperless geocaching.

-dB

[Edited to remove commercial link]

Edited by Keystone

Thanks for opening this Forum topic Don.

I'll give your application a test drive tonight, and be pleased to report back with observations and (more likely)

questions on use.

Cheers--Steve

There are a number of us that are using the iPhone for paperless geocaching and I thought I'd start a new topic as a landing place for us to discuss how we use this marvelous device, software we've found for it, tip, techniques, workarounds, etc. Anything having to do with using the iPhone (or even the iPod Touch) for paperless geocaching.

-dB

http://www.ayefon.com

I'll give your application a test drive tonight, and be pleased to report back with observations and (more likely)

questions on use.

Cheers--Steve

You are most welcome, Steve. By all means do so. Be sure and check out the You Tube walk-through. This app isn't quite two weeks old yet and already I've doubled if not tripled the feature function set based upon user feedback. I can't wait to get out again this weekend. It rained here in NC last weekend which was bad for caching but good for programming (g).

-dB

Edited by Keystone

Worst case, if Apple won't support it, PayPal might be willing to help you manage some sort of automated kickback.

I am not too worried about it...I am mainly glad to be in among some of the first involved and enjoying the application. Going to start playing with it this weekend.

Hi Don--I gave the application trial runs last night, and again today geocaching at lunch.

It worked perfectly 'right out of the box'. I love the features, and won't be printing out paper lists any

more. On a whim I dropped in 2 geocaches just before leaving the office tonight, and then chased them down using just my phone and the gps on the way home. 2 for 2!

I like your application a lot.

Thanks--Steve

questions on use.

Cheers--Steve

You are most welcome, Steve. By all means do so. Be sure and check out the You Tube walk-through. This app isn't quite two weeks old yet and already I've doubled if not tripled the feature function set based upon user feedback. I can't wait to get out again this weekend. It rained here in NC last weekend which was bad for caching but good for programming (g).

-dB

http://www.ayefon.com

Hey Don,

Your iPhone app is great. I was never happy with the software on my Palm. I checked out the YouTube video and purchased it right away. I have played around with it for about 24 hours and it is REALLY NICE, especially the integration with the maps. I was dying to go out and find some caches yesterday, but it was raining all day. I can't wait to take this puppy on the road.

One question, though, is there a way to view logs? They are mentioned at the bottom of the cache page, but there is no link. Sometimes the logs provide that last hint I need when I am really stumped.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

- Ringo67

Howdy--Don posted a note last night indicating that logs now work on the App.

I tried them this morning, and can view the first 5. Of course the 'answer' is always 10 or 15 logs further down!

But 5 is still really heppful!

Happy caching!

Steve

(SpinningCompass)

Hey Don,

Your iPhone app is great. I was never happy with the software on my Palm. I checked out the YouTube video and purchased it right away. I have played around with it for about 24 hours and it is REALLY NICE, especially the integration with the maps. I was dying to go out and find some caches yesterday, but it was raining all day. I can't wait to take this puppy on the road.

One question, though, is there a way to view logs? They are mentioned at the bottom of the cache page, but there is no link. Sometimes the logs provide that last hint I need when I am really stumped.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

- Ringo67

Hi again Don--a couple of other user questions--it seems that whenever I try to upload gpx files to a different data set than the default #1, I have to reselect the alternate data set location as I send each file. Could the application be configured to leave where the data is to be uploaded as the 'last selected'?

Also, is there some way to select and upload all files in a directory instead of having to do each one individually?

Thanks--

Steve

Edited by Keystone

Great web app...just paid for. Thanks for the work so far!

I fear this thread is going to turn into a support thread for your program, and it will be shut down by Groundspeak. Would be nice if there was another place set up where users could discuss problems and feature requests amongst themselves with you.

So, I've used it about 10 minutes, and have a few issues so far.

1. If my PQ is 500 caches, I don't want to load the whole thing over edge at once. How about breaking it up in smaller chunks?

2. The PQ was uploaded to you centered on my home coordinates, then you resorted it alphabetically it appears. Ideally, I'd like to control the sorting by distance, eg. If I select a cache, I want to sort the list by distance around that cache.

3. Search. I'd like to search the PQ by a text string in the cache name.

4. I'm having some display problems with my PQ. The font size is too big causing all the cache names to not fit the width of the phone. Pinch zoom doesn't work and I have to drag scroll to see the whole name.

For users of this application, don't forget to create a bookmark for it on your homepage! It has a custom icon too!

I realize this app is brand new and still evolving. I'm excited about what you've accomplished so far, and I'm sure it will only get better!

Thanks,

Tony

I am waiting for the next iPhone, probably June. Is there any chance that the app can be expanded to be like GeoNiche on a Palm? That is, in addition to managing the cache info, it could receive data from a BT GPSr and give you the direction and distance to a selected cache? That's what I would like.

Hi--I traded email about this with Don some time ago.

Unfortunately it appears that Apple will only support WiFi interfaces for applications, and bluetooth is

reserved solely for the earphone/mike of a headset.

SpinningCompass

I am waiting for the next iPhone, probably June. Is there any chance that the app can be expanded to be like GeoNiche on a Palm? That is, in addition to managing the cache info, it could receive data from a BT GPSr and give you the direction and distance to a selected cache? That's what I would like.

Hi, I've been watching this with interest as I've got an iPod Touch, and am looking for a way of paperless caching to compliment my Emap/Nuvi or Palm TX. This seems to to be the simplest way, but I'm wondering if this app is suitable for the UK and the Touch. Can the app be used with no wifi access as I don't have gprs/edge access when out and about...

Regards

Jules

btgeocacher, your app sounds VERY promising! I will be interested in your software come June. Until then, I am keeping my iPhone free of third-party apps.

My first iPhone died within 2 months of purchase, and the genius at the genius bar gave me a new phone after 14 seconds of diagnostics.

I want to keep my warranty intact, just in case this should happen again.

Until then, I am finding it easy enough to either use Safari in the field to look up the cache info for hints, or to copy and paste the cache listing into an email and sent it to myself.

I've managed to get html cache pages that I generate from GSAK onto the itouch.

Its a matter of basically sending them via wifi with cuteftp pro into a folder on the itouch. Then after installing a copy of apache server on the itouch just opening the link on the itouch safari.

No mess no fuss. and no wifi etc needed once your out on the road. Its all stored on the itouch.

I am going away for the weekend but when I get back I'll write up a tutorial on how to do it.

It does require jailbreaking the itouch though.

Edited by embi

I've managed to get html cache pages that I generate from GSAK onto the itouch.

Its a matter of basically sending them via wifi with cuteftp pro into a folder on the itouch. Then after installing a copy of apache server on the itouch just opening the link on the itouch safari.

No mess no fuss. and no wifi etc needed once your out on the road. Its all stored on the itouch.

I am going away for the weekend but when I get back I'll write up a tutorial on how to do it.

It does require jailbreaking the itouch though.

Jailbreaking the iphone or itouch is described in a number of sites. But so far this app is the only one I've found which can do it via an email and does not require invalidating your warranty.

Jailbreaking the iphone or itouch is described in a number of sites. But so far this app is the only one I've found which can do it via an email and does not require invalidating your warranty.

I've established a Yahoo group dedicated to hints, tricks, and suggestions for the igeocacher software

for iphone and itouch paperless geocaching.

Hopefully it will allow folks to discuss "how to's" and "couldn't this feature be provided".

Anyone is welcome at [Link removed by moderator]

Cheers--Steve

Edited by Keystone

Sorry, but we are not allowing the igeocacher application to be promoted in the Groundspeak Forums. The developer has been advised to contact Groundspeak. If and when permission is granted by Groundspeak, the developer may promote the application. In the meantime, potential users are advised to review carefully the terms and conditions for the use of pocket query data.

This thread will remain open for purposes of discussing other paperless geocaching solutions for the iPhone. If that's not possible in the context of the prior posts, we will close this thread and allow for another fresh thread to be opened.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sorry, but we are not allowing the igeocacher application to be promoted in the Groundspeak Forums. The developer has been advised to contact Groundspeak. If and when permission is granted by Groundspeak, the developer may promote the application. In the meantime, potential users are advised to review carefully the terms and conditions for the use of pocket query data.

This thread will remain open for purposes of discussing other paperless geocaching solutions for the iPhone. If that's not possible in the context of the prior posts, we will close this thread and allow for another fresh thread to be opened.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ah, here comes the heavy hand again.

The post was about moving the discussion to a different, non-Groundspeak location. Isn't that what you wanted?

Anybody that wants to talk about this program offsite, just search yahoo groups for "igeocacher".

-bitmap