Canadian Topographic Maps

dmehak

I ordered a 60CSx last night, it will be the first GPSr that I’ve ever owned. I’ll be using it for kayaking and snowshoeing, so I’d like to get some topographic maps to go with it.

What software would you guys recommend for Canadian topographic maps?

Thanks!

Wow, looks interesting. How do these compare with MapSource TOPO Canada? Better or worse?

Pros:

- Much more data: Cutlines, vegetation, all water features, more POIs. In some area (like around here), this is a huge difference.

- Up to date road data.

- Free.

Cons:

- Does not auto-route, yet. Ibycus may make them auto-routable in the future.

- Streets don't have names, yet. The up to date (free) road data does not have names at the moment. The free data available with names is out of date so he has not use that data.

For the uses you have specified, the Ibycus maps should be much better than Topo Canada.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=174764

Any difference in how they would appear on the screen of a 60CSx? In terms of clarity and quality.

Maps do appear differently on different units. One of the fun things about Garmin. I don't have a 60 series anymore, so can't make any screen shots. It is fairly similar.

This shot is from my Colorado (which DO look different than the older units). The older units like the 60Csx look more like the Maspsource images.

131.jpg

Red90,

Thanks for all of your help with this - I really appreciate it. I'm very new to GPS, and there is SO much to cover...

I have a 60CSx on the way from GPS Central. They offer a discounted price for MapSource software if you purchase a Garmin receiver, so I ordered TOPO Canada to go along with my new receiver. (I was told the basemap is pretty useless on the 60CSx?).

So I ordered MapSource TOPO Canada for $89.95 (the regular price is $119.95). And now I'm trying to decide if I should return the TOPO Canada software and use the Ibycus maps. The Ibycus maps look really good, and I like the attention to detail, but I don't know if there will come a time in the future when I wish I had a map with street names.

Another question: Auto-routing allows me to enter two addresses, and the GPSr will tell me how to get from point A to point B - correct? So if the Ibycus maps don't support auto-routing, I can plug in point B and the display will show my current position in relation to B, but how I choose to get there is up to me. If I understand this correctly?

Would it be possible to auto-route using the basemap, than switch to the Ibycus maps once I reach my destination?

Sorry for all of these questions, but I really appreciate all of this help.

I just can't seem to make up my mind on TOPO Canada vs. Ibycus...

So I ordered MapSource TOPO Canada for $89.95 (the regular price is $119.95). And now I'm trying to decide if I should return the TOPO Canada software and use the Ibycus maps. The Ibycus maps look really good, and I like the attention to detail, but I don't know if there will come a time in the future when I wish I had a map with street names.

I should add that Topo Canada does not supprt address searching.....

Another question: Auto-routing allows me to enter two addresses, and the GPSr will tell me how to get from point A to point B - correct? So if the Ibycus maps don't support auto-routing, I can plug in point B and the display will show my current position in relation to B, but how I choose to get there is up to me. If I understand this correctly?

Yes, that is correct.

Would it be possible to auto-route using the basemap, than switch to the Ibycus maps once I reach my destination?

You really can't auto-route successfully on the basemap as the road data is so rough. You can switch between maps at any time. If you really want auto-routing, City Navigator or Metroguide Canada is your best bet. Metroguide Canada has the same roads as Topo Canada, but is cheaper and has address and POIs support. It is also pretty cheap.

I'm ot sure if you have read this...

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapso...differences.htm

Just to clarify about autorouting.. you typically DON'T key in "2 places" and the GPS autoroutes you from one to the other.. Rather, you key in "1 place" and auto routing takes you from your current location to that place. It's a minor detail, just thought I'd clarify that for you.

And, while autorouting is an awesome & wonderful ability, it shouldn't be a show stopper for you if your primary requirement is hiking & snowshoing. Years ago when I had my Lowrance iFinder Pro, it had detailed street maps but NO autorouting. So, I'd jost scan for my destination, place a go-to to that spot, and the GPSr would tell me the direction & distance to that spot, and I would have to do my own "autorouting" by deciding which roads to take to get me there.

..sure not as elegant as the GPSr doing it for you, but it will get you where you want to go lol :D

Actually the GPS already knowing the current position makes perfect sense, thanks for clarifying that.

You're right about the auto-routing too, as my GPSr really won't be used primarily for driving. I just thought it was an added bonus for driving to the trail location.

This is actually turning out to be a harder decision than 60CSx vs. Colorado.

So these are really the only two options for topographic maps for Canada, it sounds like?

So these are really the only two options for topographic maps for Canada, it sounds like?

For all of Canada, yes, as the topography data all comes from the same place, the Federal Government. There are some provincial level topographic maps nased on Provincial data, but "I think" it is just BC and Ontario, maybe Quebec.

Red90, small thread hijack here: how do you like your colorado? I will be searching the forum anyhow but can you tell me if it's worth replacing my lost 60C with one or should I just buy another 60Cx?

Army guy and geocacher, btw.

That is a complex question and there are a million threads on it.

For Geocaching use, the Colorado is much better. For hiking or similar, the 60cx probably wins out.

For my own part, I'd probably get a street navigation package (I use MetroGuide Canada V4 myself...its a bit old though), and then download my maps to use when you want Topo data. That should give you 'best of both worlds'

Autorouting is really nice to have in any case.

Wanted to ask something: what are cutlines?

Also, Red90 mentioned that the Ibycus maps have 'up to date road data'. Are they more current than MapSource TOPO Canada?

On the first question....don't you have cutlines in the east.... There are lines cut through the trees for things such as pipelines, or mineral exploration. The forests around here are criss crossed with them.

Topo Canada came out around 5 years ago, so the data is a bit older than that, maybe 7 to 8 years old. Ibycus can comment on how old his data is, but my understanding is it is the most up to date information available, say 1 to 2 years old.