City Navigator 2009

KD6QZX

I was on the phone with Garmin software support for my GPS478 and learned from them the updated verson of city navigator 2009 will release in the next month. I also have a Colorado 400t and was told if I can hold off buying 2008 citynav, the new 2009 will release.

If I recall though, on 2007 if you had it as a late relase, they did offer a free update to 2008 so this may be the case for 08 to update to 09. (dang forgot to ask them about that!!!!)

pheww.... I was just looking to buy the city navigator north america.

If I get the maps on dvd then I can use it on the computer as well right? So what size card to I need to get to load it on?

CN NT fits on a 1GB card. The non-NT version needs a 2GB card in order to fit the entire thing.

pheww.... I was just looking to buy the city navigator north america.

If I get the maps on dvd then I can use it on the computer as well right? So what size card to I need to get to load it on?

CN NT fits on a 1GB card. The non-NT version needs a 2GB card in order to fit the entire thing.

I,m not sure I've seen a non-NT version....whats the difference?

NT, according to Garmin is the "New Technology" way of compressing the map data. But beware that the NT maps are only compatible with the more recent GPS units that support NT.

The non-NT maps are to be used with older GPS units. The compression method used is different (the non-NT maps take up roughly twice the space as the NT maps) and the map segments are divided into smaller chunks.

Edited by SergZak

Sigh........... I bought two copies of CN 2008 NT due to the stupid "one unit only" issue. I can't really afford to keep buying this expensive stuff over and over again.

MetroGuide + MetroGold = autorouting maps with no unlock code requirements. So, you don't get the large segments of the NT - it's a fair tradeoff to me. :laughing:

I personally didn't have good experience with the NT 2008 maps. I also have the non NT maps and they have much faster map redraw rates on my 60Cx.

I have noticed the NT version is a bit slower drawing and calculating the route. But not so much as to make it unusable. I don't have the non-NT version to compare against though. I was comparing it to Metroguide v with the Metrogold 'fix'

I do like having the whole US CNNT08 plus plenty of room for topos all on one 2gig SD card.

Sigh........... I bought two copies of CN 2008 NT due to the stupid "one unit only" issue. I can't really afford to keep buying this expensive stuff over and over again.

It's why I download every Garmin mapping products!! I love their GPS, but I don't want to buy their EXPENSIVE maps!!

NT, according to Garmin is the "New Technology" way of compressing the map data. But beware that the NT maps are only compatible with the more recent GPS units that support NT.

The non-NT maps are to be used with older GPS units. The compression method used is different (the non-NT maps take up roughly twice the space as the NT maps) and the map segments are divided into smaller chunks.

Thankx.. I just bought the Csx60 a couple of days ago so I'm sure they should be fine. I saw a 8 gig micro sd card for $44 and thought about getting tht and then I should be able to add the topo map and anything else I'd like later

It's why I download every Garmin mapping products!! I love their GPS, but I don't want to buy their EXPENSIVE maps!!

where do you download them from?

I was on the phone with Garmin software support for my GPS478 and learned from them the updated verson of city navigator 2009 will release in the next month. I also have a Colorado 400t and was told if I can hold off buying 2008 citynav, the new 2009 will release.

If I recall though, on 2007 if you had it as a late relase, they did offer a free update to 2008 so this may be the case for 08 to update to 09. (dang forgot to ask them about that!!!!)

I purchased the SD card of 2008 City Navigator NT and have not been able to use it as my 400t was captured by Garmin because of a USB hardware problem. I have not as yet received a replacement for the 400t. I'm wondering if there will be a charge for the upgrade to CN 2009 or if I'll have to purchase it as well....