A GPS For Road and GEocaching

I am looking for a good GPS for the auto, turn by turn instructions, as much as I can get, and I can also take it off and geocache with it.

I am directionally challenged (which makes geocaching a funny hobby to get involved in...let's just say I'm good at leading the REST of the team to finds) so an auto GPS is essential for me. I have a Garmin IQue now, but it is flaking out on me, and not good for geocaching (hard to see in the sun, haven't found the right program to geocache with accuracy, and my motherboard is giving out).

So I'm looking for a good GPS I can use in the car, then take off and traipse in the woods for a while...

Any good options out there?

I am looking for a good GPS for the auto, turn by turn instructions, as much as I can get, and I can also take it off and geocache with it.

I am directionally challenged (which makes geocaching a funny hobby to get involved in...let's just say I'm good at leading the REST of the team to finds) so an auto GPS is essential for me. I have a Garmin IQue now, but it is flaking out on me, and not good for geocaching (hard to see in the sun, haven't found the right program to geocache with accuracy, and my motherboard is giving out).

So I'm looking for a good GPS I can use in the car, then take off and traipse in the woods for a while...

Any good options out there?

I have been looking to the same thing, I have not found one that I like

I do this all the time with Garmin's 60CSx w/ Topo 2008 NT and City Navigator North America NT. In "Follow Road" mode it makes "beeps" to alert you to upcoming turns and arrival at destination. Then just turn off the CN map and reclaculate the "direct Route" and go right to the cache.

I also have a Garmin 2610, requires vehicle power, that is great for routing to caches/ parking areas and then I switch to the 60CSx for the direct route to the cache. But I have been using just the 60CSx recently and believe it will meet your expectations.

Edited by YBLee

For just one unit, I'd go with the 60csx, or the vista hcx. They are best for primarily getting to caches, but are passable for navigating the car.

However, consider that you need to purchase street maps (retail is over $100, but can be got for $80 or so I think), plus you would probably want a mount for the car. Not really safe leaving your GPS laying on the dash, plus hard to see. So now you are up to an extra $100 to $130 or so. Considering dedicated GPS car only units can be gotten for about the same amount, and will speak turn by turn direction, including speaking street names (called text-to-speech), you'd get more bang for your buck getting a dedicated car unit. But, if having just one unit simplicity is more important to you, by all means go for the 60CSX or Vista HCX.

I'll put in another vote for the Vista HCx. When I got the auto-routing maps for it, I got them in a package deal with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter.

The Garmin Quest is another option, but I'm not sure the battery in one of those will last for an all-day caching adventure on a nice hiking trail bread-crumbed with several caches. The Rayovac Hybrid rechargeable batteries in my Vista HCx last for many hours.

Cachemate is what you want. You probably just need a new battery. This is the forum you want: http://forum.brighthand.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53 Pop in a 2000 mA-h battery (or have Paul do it), add the Geocaching software (Cachemate, WayQue, BrightQue) and you will be happy again.

Anywho, the best all in one device is the Garmin Colorado...... It is truly all in one.

My suggestion... Keep the iQue for the car nav... You'll be disappointed with ANYTHING else...seriously. Get a handheld, any decent handheld for the field.

That sounds like my best bet. I did replace the battery on the Que, but it seems to want to hard reset fairly regularly so I lose all my waypoints (don't know how to get home) and it will flake out at the worst times. It seems to work like a champ in the cradle, so it will be my designated car navigator.

That narrows down the hunt...look for a good handheld. And the debate continues, although it sseems the 60c(x) seems to win out. I'm not the excited about the Colorado if you can't get access to your database...that deleting thing bothers, I mean, I'm a packrat, but come on...

Thanks a bunch!

If money is not an object, the Colorado is MUCH better for a Geocaching device than the 60csx. There is nothing to be gained from deleting found caches. When found, they are placed in a found list. This is also what happens in a 60csx. I can't see any reason why anyone would want to delete data from the unit when in the field. I certainly never have.

In addition, you gain the "field note" feature, which is a godsend for big caching days.

I've read a bit about the Magellan Crossover. Seems like it would work as an auto navigator, but how does it work as a cache sniffer?

Does fairly well for street nav. Mediocre for caching, when you get within 30 feet of a cache it announces you are near your destination then stops tracking. The good news was I got it at Costco for $229.00.

But, I brought a Colorado 300 because I thought it would be better for caching.

The Colorado with the routing city maps (CNNA NT 2008) is pretty cool in the car, but the interface is rather awkward to use while driving. If you set up a route while stopped, then just let it do its thing, it works great. The only drawback is the small screen, the beeper -- comparable in volume to a mouse fart, and no spoken directions -- only text and arrows.

For paperless caching, its super. I have only two real gripes. There is a limit to the amount of comments that are downloaded. Not good if you have a long-winded cache owner who puts hints down at the bottom of his comments. Also, if the cache description contains graphics which are part of the clues, etc... you have to download them separately and use the image viewer.

I just Bought a Magellan Crossover. I posted my complaints of it in the Magellan Stinks thread. :) Which is too bad because if it worked like it should it would have all features I'm looking for in a gps, ie. Marine, Auto (hear your next turn) and Handheld (waterproof).

Right now, I'm looking at the Bushnell ONIX or the Garmin Colorado for a replacement.

I just Bought a Magellan Crossover. I posted my complaints of it in the Magellan Stinks thread.

:) Sorry, but that cracked me up.

As said, if you want the best of both worlds and are willing to make some very minor sacrifices, the Garmin Colorado is THE device to get.

Ok, kind of an apples to oranges comparison - I'm aware of that however I would like to post my recent experience regarding the nüvi and the Colorado.

First, I'll bore you with a little history.

I purchased the nüvi 350 initially and quickly decided I wanted the Bluetooth functionality so I sold it and got the 360. After a short time I decided I wanted the wider screen and FM Transmitter to reduce my wiring by one (I ran the headphone wire to my radio for calling/navigation), so I sold the 360 and got the 660.

Whew.

About a month goes by and I find out what Geocaching is. Turns out to sound pretty cool so I buy a GPSmap 60CSx based on recommendations on various forums.

Life was good.

Then I heard about paperless caching... ignored it in fear of buying another device but I kept hearing the phrase over and over again... eventually I caved and started reading about the benefits of paperless caching which rather quickly brought me to the Colorado series by Garmin. Once the sticker shock was over I quickly began running scenarios through my head on how I could 'justify' this thing because it was just too cool not to have. First thought, sell the nüvi and the GPSmap 60CSX.

Rrrrrt... hold up. Sell the nüvi!?

See, I enjoy navigation and have been spoiled by having all the POI's at my fingertips, how could I give this up for a Geocaching device? Bring on Garmin City Navigator maps.

Hey, this looks like my nüvi!

Decision was made... I'd sell the 660 and the GPSmap 60CSx and purchase the Colorado 400t plus City Navigator 2008, I'd have an all-in-one device that would meet almost every need I could think of.

Well, what if I'm on the lake? I'll surely need another device then. Maybe I should hold off and just keep what I have. (sigh)

Bring on Inland Lakes!

Ok, I was finally convinced that I had one device that could essentially be useful no matter what activity I was doing (me justifying again). Found the best deal, made the purchase and put my other devices up for sale. Seeing as they were both like new I had no problems selling to anyone I knew, and as it worked out they both went to great homes fortunately.

Colorado arrives at home. Cool

Ahh yes, the day finally came when I was able to hold, for the first time, my Garmin Colorado 400t. I go and load the latest firmware (Beta 2.51), City Navigator and Inland Lakes. City Navigator fit on the device itself leaving a ton of room on my 8GB card for Inland Lakes.

Life is good again. Very Happy

I know, I know... "Hey XopherN71, I read all this but how does the Colorado with City Navigator compare to the nüvi?"

Sorry... history over, on with the comparison.

The first obvious difference is screen size. If you prefer 'North Up' orientation this might be a big deal for you, but I prefer either Automotive or 'Track Up' displays which give me just as much up/down viewing as my nüvi did. I rarely care what is on the side of where I'm going since my destination is ahead.

The next thing you'll notice, no speech and barely any alert at all. Again, this is a preference thing and most people will NOT be with me on this one but I always had my nüvi's alerts muted as I found it annoying. Checking the device for the next turn is as distracting as checking your mirrors in my book, but you can debate that in another thread if you wish.

Routing is just as fast and re-routing seems faster to me on the Colorado. Which brings up another difference, I now have routing capability (350, 360 and 660 do not have this).

Points of Interest seem to be the same, no big surprise there as I believe it's the same between the units.

My 5 Star Rating Guide for anyone who just wants a quick graphic display of my thoughts. 5 stars does not mean there is no room for improvement, it simply means 'met all of my needs'.

Automotive Use:

nüvi-------- *****

Colorado-- ****

Geocaching:

nüvi-------- **

Colorado-- *****

Outdoor Use - General:

nüvi-------- **

Colorado-- *****

In summary, the nüvi is better than the Colorado for automotive use for obvious reasons, however for my limited needs the Colorado is an equal replacement and I have no regrets. For outdoors use, the Colorado far exceeds the nüvi in this respect from ruggedness to usability.

For most, 2 devices will be fine but for me I feel I made a wonderful decision in that I now have portable device for all my automobile, navigation, hiking, geocaching, mountain biking, hunting, boating/fishing needs.

colorado.gif

Edited by XopherN71