Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

I downloaded the Arizona topo map from gpsdepot and verified that it shows up in Mapsource. Ironically it doesn't show the forest road I camped on this weekend that does show up on my Nuvi's City Navigator map.

Anyway I'd like to transfer the map to my Nuvi 260 but the map option is grayed out in the Transfer To dialog. How can I get the map onto my Nuvi?

Have you selected any maptiles to send? A tutorial on loading the maps is here: LINK

I downloaded the Arizona topo map from gpsdepot and verified that it shows up in Mapsource. Ironically it doesn't show the forest road I camped on this weekend that does show up on my Nuvi's City Navigator map.

Anyway I'd like to transfer the map to my Nuvi 260 but the map option is grayed out in the Transfer To dialog. How can I get the map onto my Nuvi?

Have you selected any maptiles to send? A tutorial on loading the maps is here: LINK

That was it. Thanks. Mapsource is new to me.

One related question. Due to memory limitations on the Nuvi I can only load some of the tiles. Is there a way to delete some of the tiles from the Nuvi in case I want to load some different ones?

EDIT

I think I answered my own question. I looks like if I save my current data (including the selected tiles) in Mapsource and then later de-select a tile, the next time I send to the Nuvi the de-selected tile is deleted. Is that right?

Edited by JerryR

That was it. Thanks. Mapsource is new to me.

One related question. Due to memory limitations on the Nuvi I can only load some of the tiles. Is there a way to delete some of the tiles from the Nuvi in case I want to load some different ones?

I'm not sure about the nüvi, but I don't think you are going to be able to edit the preinstalled maps. I think people generally add memory cards for supplemental maps. Edited by coggins

I have done some searches, but not much luck on results.

If I want to remove a map, or some tiles, how do I do this? I am on a Mac, if that makes a difference.

Can I just delete or move the map from the location MapInstall placed it?

Not quite. To remove the maps/tiles from the device you have to reload the maps you want. That means you go back and pick all the tiles you want - leaving out the ones you don't want - and upload them again.

Interesting, it seems like I am not able to unselect the tiles I don't want anymore. I will try again tonight to verify when I am on my mac.

I loaded some maps for Colorado and Utah for a vacation trip, and don't think I need them again in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting, it seems like I am not able to unselect the tiles I don't want anymore. I will try again tonight to verify when I am on my mac.

I loaded some maps for Colorado and Utah for a vacation trip, and don't think I need them again in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not positive how the Mac apps work but that's how the Garmin apps work in general. Hopefully that's how they work on the Mac, too.

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you sure you're using the right program? Isn't there a couple of different programs on the Mac?

I figured it out. With MapInstall for the Mac. I was able to select a group of tiles by doing a good ole click and drag. To unselect, I have to click a tile one at a time.

There are about 5 different programs for the Mac, with BaseCamp and Road Trip sorta the same thing.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ibycus, I like your map of the US. It was helpful on the 3600 mile road trip we just completed.

I just downloaded the USA maps from gpsfiledepot, and look forward to trying them out!

A suggestion: It'd be great to have the MD5SUMs of the installer(s) readily available on the info page. I don't trust P2P software, and am loath to spend the time tracking down a version that isn't riddled with spyware. So I ended finding a source for a "conventional" download, but didn't trust that either - until I dug up the MD5SUM from an old blog post, and verified my download.

I'll repeat it here for the convenience of others:

9aa5f10d54ea0547bc9eeab015a91d51 IbycusUSA20.exe

Thanks in advance for the maps!

PS: For extra trustworthiness, here's Ibycus' original post with the MD5SUM.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
I don't trust P2P software, and am loath to spend the time tracking down a version that isn't riddled with spyware. So I ended finding a source for a "conventional" download, but didn't trust that either - until I dug up the MD5SUM from an old blog post, and verified my download.

Just a suggestion... Bittorrent.

Torrents automatically verify file integrity and the actual Bittorrent client-side software is spyware, adware and malware free. It's also cross-platform: Windows, Mac and even available to us Linux users for once! You still need to practice common sense about your downloading habits, but once you've learned to use torrents you'll never want to go back to http downloading.

A little suspicion about your download sources and files is a good thing, but by the same token there are safe ways to do this. Bittorrent is one of them.

I don't trust P2P software, and am loath to spend the time tracking down a version that isn't riddled with spyware. So I ended finding a source for a "conventional" download, but didn't trust that either - until I dug up the MD5SUM from an old blog post, and verified my download.

Just a suggestion... Bittorrent.

Torrents automatically verify file integrity and the actual Bittorrent client-side software is spyware, adware and malware free. It's also cross-platform: Windows, Mac and even available to us Linux users for once! You still need to practice common sense about your downloading habits, but once you've learned to use torrents you'll never want to go back to http downloading.

A little suspicion about your download sources and files is a good thing, but by the same token there are safe ways to do this. Bittorrent is one of them.

The problem with BitTorrent, is if you don't know exactly who set up the torrent, or which torrent to choose, it is absolutely possible that you'll run in to a counterfit torrent. As I'm not running my own server, I've been unable to host the torrent tracker on my site, so I've had to off load it on "The Pirate Bay", which is a somewhat questionable place to put it, but the 'most reputable' of the free torrent tracker sites I was able to find. (actually, I didn't even set up the USA torrent myself, so don't know exactly where the most reputable version is...)

As far as the client goes, it depends somewhat (I would imagine), on what client you choose to use. (I've had good luck with http://www.utorrent.com)

The problem with BitTorrent, is if you don't know exactly who set up the torrent, or which torrent to choose, it is absolutely possible that you'll run in to a counterfit torrent. As I'm not running my own server, I've been unable to host the torrent tracker on my site, so I've had to off load it on "The Pirate Bay", which is a somewhat questionable place to put it, but the 'most reputable' of the free torrent tracker sites I was able to find. (actually, I didn't even set up the USA torrent myself, so don't know exactly where the most reputable version is...)

As far as the client goes, it depends somewhat (I would imagine), on what client you choose to use. (I've had good luck with http://www.utorrent.com)

Your concern with not knowing the actual source of a torrent is legitimate, if you are using a torrent search engine of some kind to find files. However if you have a link on your own website for the torrent there is nothing to choose from since the only source is you.

If you want a good torrent tracker you may want to check out http://openbittorrent.com/