Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Hi Ibycus,

I hail from far off Airdrie AB :)

I'm a newbie with a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx, using a MacBook at home. Is there a site where a newbie like me can learn to download and install your map. Your example (K-Country) is exactly the area I use it for.

You'd probably fit in better in the Canadian thread, but no worries.

As of right now, the latest version of the maps is only available on the PC. This will change as soon as I (or some other interested party) gets around to converting the maps to a Mac Format. This isn't hard to do, but my upload bandwidth is really crummy, so it would take me a lot of time. That being said, at the moment, it is possible to run the maps on Parallels. Other than that, I have little to no experience with Macs (ok, not entirely true, I used to be a wiz at System 6). There is some stuff a couple of pages back in this thread re. loading the maps up on a Mac. Hopefully that might be helpful.

Dale

Hi Ibycus,

I hail from far off Airdrie AB :)

I'm a newbie with a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx, using a MacBook at home. Is there a site where a newbie like me can learn to download and install your map. Your example (K-Country) is exactly the area I use it for.

If you haven't already discovered it, Red90 and friends have an excellent trail map of the area west and south of Calgary, including down into the Kananaskis. It's a transparent overlay and it's really great to use over top of something like Dale's topos.

Here's the link for the Calgary Area Trail Mapping Project.

If you ever get further south, the folks down in the Crowsnest Pass also have a great trail mapping project going on with a transparent overlay available. It extends up to at least the south boundary of Peter's Playground (guess that kinda dates me, eh?) and over into the East Kootenays (Flathead Valley, Elk Valley).

Here's the link for Quad Squad site.

You can use these with any maps you might already have. I have used them with Metroguide Canada and City Navigator North America, as well as Topo Canada and the Ibycus Topos.

EDIT: Ooops, I just noticed that you're on a MAC. I don't know if any of these overlays will work on the MAC. You can check on the web sites. If you want to take advantage of this stuff anyway, including the Ibycus Topos, you could look at running the Windows emulator (can't remember what it's called ... Boot Camp??) and load up the Windows version of Garmin's MapSource. That would allow you to take advantage of it all.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

Any hope for a Florida topo map in the future? I've tried to create my own, but I guess its not my best skill :D

thank you for your help, your other maps are........ to say the least GREAT!!!!!!

Hi,

Don't know how I missed this message when it was first posted. Eventually I plan on covering the topo, but I haven't gotten around to it yet (maybe this summer).

Also for any of you watching this thread, I'm in the process of getting ready to compile a new version with updated TIGER data (downloading the 30GB of source data right now), so now would be a good time to report any outstanding concerns with the existing maps so I can (try to) remedy them in the next version.

Dale

Edited by ibycus

Question for ibycus:

I've DLed your maps. Really great. Very nice job. Thanks for all your work.

Here's the question. When I want to load a map on my GPS the program runs "install" and mapsource each time which takes several minutes. I couldn't find a way to create a shortcut so it loads like a regular program after running the initial install without it running "install" each time. Is there some way to creat a shortcut after the initial install? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

Question for ibycus:

I've DLed your maps. Really great. Very nice job. Thanks for all your work.

Here's the question. When I want to load a map on my GPS the program runs "install" and mapsource each time which takes several minutes. I couldn't find a way to create a shortcut so it loads like a regular program after running the initial install without it running "install" each time. Is there some way to creat a shortcut after the initial install? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

Not quite sure how you're loading to the GPS, but it sounds like you're doing something unusual there. Open Mapsource, and select "Ibycus USA" from the dropdown list in the top lefthand corner. Hit 'm', and then select the appropriate sheets, and hit the "Transfer to device" button.

HTH,

Dale

Also for any of you watching this thread, I'm in the process of getting ready to compile a new version with updated TIGER data (downloading the 30GB of source data right now), so now would be a good time to report any outstanding concerns with the existing maps so I can (try to) remedy them in the next version.

Dale

I figured that was you when my transfer rate droped from 160K/s to 20K/s. What a way to think about spending the holidays. Enjoy, but keep at your studies.

BTW - The upload of my transparent/overlay contour files for the 48 contiguous States was completed last week. They are available at xyzggmaps.omgfreehost.com as 100K (30x60 minute) sized img files usually packaged for download in 250K (1x2 degree) zip files.

BTW - The upload of my transparent/overlay contour files for the 48 contiguous States was completed last week. They are available at xyzggmaps.omgfreehost.com as 100K (30x60 minute) sized img files usually packaged for download in 250K (1x2 degree) zip files.

Question about the xyz maps....... I got the entire state of florida downloaded but am having trouble with the Gainesville area H1707X any suggestions? :)

Edited by Team CeDo

Dale

As we passed through Erie,PA a couple of months on Interstate 90, ALL of the roads (including what should have been in the base map) completely DISAPPEARED. The range was at least 5 miles on either side of the town.

Stumbled across this thread last week and finally got around to installing it today. THANK YOU so much for this! I got them transferred over to my 60csx and they are great!

I noticed that when I selected some maps there was 3 that I could not select. One was central Wisconsin, one was Delaware and the other was in either Arizona or New Mexico. Am I doing something wrong or is there currently no data for those areas?

Again I want to say thx.gif

Stumbled across this thread last week and finally got around to installing it today. THANK YOU so much for this! I got them transferred over to my 60csx and they are great!

I noticed that when I selected some maps there was 3 that I could not select. One was central Wisconsin, one was Delaware and the other was in either Arizona or New Mexico. Am I doing something wrong or is there currently no data for those areas?

Again I want to say thx.gif

Does it look like there are data in those areas? If the maps looks blank, then there is no data in those areas (at the moment). If you can see lines on the map, you should be able to select (provided you have the latest version).

Dale

Unzip the patch file, and put the numbered images in the \program files\IbycusU2\imgs directory, and the rest of the files in \program files\ibycusu2\

Dale

... and for a Mac? I see *.img files in the patch, but not in the 2.0 download, so I'm a little confused -- it doesn't seem as easy as the Windows process (I don't believe I just typed that!!). Or should I just wait for the 2.1 version which I see floating in the Windows world? Thanks.

Unzip the patch file, and put the numbered images in the \program files\IbycusU2\imgs directory, and the rest of the files in \program files\ibycusu2\

Dale

... and for a Mac? I see *.img files in the patch, but not in the 2.0 download, so I'm a little confused -- it doesn't seem as easy as the Windows process (I don't believe I just typed that!!). Or should I just wait for the 2.1 version which I see floating in the Windows world? Thanks.

... apologies for the duplicate entry ...

Edited by GavinEadie

What is the most recent d/l out?I have 2.0 and 1.4 but didn't know if there was a more recent one out since 2.0 has been out a while..

2.0 is still the latest version. I'm working on a version with the new TIGER data, but it probably won't be out until summer. (busy with class again)

Maybe im missing something or im just confused or maybe i just the wrong idea about the whole thing....

I thought the Ibycus maps were of streets and roads and interstates and things like that...Now im reading about topo maps...

Are the Ibycus maps getting consolidated with some topo maps? Or is it another set of maps all together?

Or am I completely wrong all together???

I looked at the Ibycus maps and I see my state (west virginia) looks like its there...But a poster above asked for WV maps...Maybe he is talking about TOPO?

Maybe im missing something or im just confused or maybe i just the wrong idea about the whole thing....

I thought the Ibycus maps were of streets and roads and interstates and things like that...Now im reading about topo maps...

Are the Ibycus maps getting consolidated with some topo maps? Or is it another set of maps all together?

Or am I completely wrong all together???

I looked at the Ibycus maps and I see my state (west virginia) looks like its there...But a poster above asked for WV maps...Maybe he is talking about TOPO?

That's because Ibycus first created a set of Topo maps for Canada, and later he created these street and hydro maps for the US from publicly available sources. They do not (yet) include topographical information, but another user, Snowfleurys, has created transparent contour overlays available here.

What is the most recent d/l out?I have 2.0 and 1.4 but didn't know if there was a more recent one out since 2.0 has been out a while..

What area and how big of an area are you interested in?

My current tweaking run for the Census files is likely to the final one. At the risk of jinking it (the host site with the overlay contour files has been down quite a lot the past 2-3 weeks, getting worse, and maybe ready to evaporate), I am considering placing the planimetric (none contour) maps on the host site. The files are in small download packages intended for those with a limited area of interest and/or slow download speeds.

Does it look like there are data in those areas? If the maps looks blank, then there is no data in those areas (at the moment). If you can see lines on the map, you should be able to select (provided you have the latest version).

Dale

Just checked again and other than county lines there is no data there. I have v2.0 that I got from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/ That is the latest one right?

Dale

Just checked again and other than county lines there is no data there. I have v2.0 that I got from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/ That is the latest one right?

Zoom in more. Like way in.

Yep, did that. If you zoom in, right on the line on one side you can see everything and on the other it is all white except for the county lines.

Using Mapsource on the highest setting.

Does no one else have this issue?

Ahhh. Its *that* area. If you download 1.4, you shouldn't have this trouble (other areas won't work in 1.4, but this area should).

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA14.exe

The next version (which I'm anticipating now won't be out until sometime in the summer, as school takes priority) shouldn't have either of these problems.

Dale

Probably a dumb question, but by doing this, is it going to overwrite my existing basemap or topomap? or is it going to be an entirely different mapset that I can switch back and forth with other maps on my GPSr? I am using a Colorado 300 with topo 08 loaded on it, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Not having actually played with a Colorado, I can't say with 100% certainty but I'm relatively (>99%) sure that it won't overwrite the preloaded maps. Assuming the Colorado works anything like any other Garmin GPS, there are several different files that maps are stored under. One is for preloaded maps, one is for supplemental maps. Loading any new supplemental maps will wipe out any older suppllemental maps, but will leave intact any pre-loaded maps.

Dale

Okay, how about a reverse problem.. I installed IbycusUSA 2.0, (whole set).. Worked fine, till I installed US States & Counties (from GPSFileDepot), suddenly, Ibycus map is no-longer an available map under Mapsource.. The files still exist, but just no-longer loadable..

Kind of wondering, if both are trying to patch the registry, to make Mapsource look at them, and if so, are the two clobbering each other's records?

I know it's old data,, but wondering, if I made a patch to same registry area, if I could re-intergrate the map files from Topo 2006.. (The ones that required loading separate CD's.. I managed to trick the program, to look on the hard drive of another laptop, where I loaded the entire 3-CD set, but bumped the registry to look at C:\Garmin\East instead of D:\East ..

Stephen (gelfling6)

There may potentially be a problem if you install two map products with the same IDs (don't know if that is what has happend here).

Another comment, if you need any of the areas missing from 2.01 I suggest you install 1.4, they should be covered in there.

Not likely to see an update before this summer, as I'm busy with classes.

Love all the work done here. Please forgive if these are old/dumb questions:

With an Oregon 200 with Garmin Topo 2008 loaded so that there is DEM shading, can Topos from gpsfiledepot (New England, Southwest US, NJ, NY, etc.) be loaded and overlapped? I want to see the shading of the Garmin map and the topo detail of the gpsfiledepot maps at the same time.

2nd question: does IbycusUSA map do auto-routing (turn by turn directions) on a garmin Oregon 200?

Thanks in advance!

With an Oregon 200 with Garmin Topo 2008 loaded so that there is DEM shading, can Topos from gpsfiledepot (New England, Southwest US, NJ, NY, etc.) be loaded and overlapped? I want to see the shading of the Garmin map and the topo detail of the gpsfiledepot maps at the same time.

Yes; the dem will show through.

Yeah I already have your street maps (very good BTW), I am wondering about topo.

maps4gps (snowfleury's here) is cranking out a lot of states; so hopefully soon. We've had almost 10 more states in the past week. Keep tabs: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps

I downloaded the Arizona topo map from gpsdepot and verified that it shows up in Mapsource. Ironically it doesn't show the forest road I camped on this weekend that does show up on my Nuvi's City Navigator map.

Anyway I'd like to transfer the map to my Nuvi 260 but the map option is grayed out in the Transfer To dialog. How can I get the map onto my Nuvi?

I downloaded the Arizona topo map from gpsdepot and verified that it shows up in Mapsource. Ironically it doesn't show the forest road I camped on this weekend that does show up on my Nuvi's City Navigator map.

Anyway I'd like to transfer the map to my Nuvi 260 but the map option is grayed out in the Transfer To dialog. How can I get the map onto my Nuvi?