Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Strange, but I clicked the link, then run, it was downloading for about 35 minutes or so, appeared to finish as the dialogue box closed, and then nothing happened after that. Do I need to un-install the old version first?

Shouldn't have to. Did it not go through an install proceedure?

Dale

I wasnt watching it the whole time, but the dialogue box was up for about 35 minutes (showing the amount dowloaded/time, etc). The I get the box (I think its a Windows thing), saying the that the publisher cant be identified, blah, blah; do I trust it, I click run. After that, nothing happened. I believe in the 1.4 version, this was the point that I got the install wizard. I'll have to try it again tonight.

Not sure if this is indicative of the data errors you were talking about. New in v2, some water bodies around the St. Louis region seem to be partly missing the blue infill. Mississippi River, Missouri River, Horseshoe Lake…..in some cases it looks like the problem is following the city/county boundaries.

Not sure if this is indicative of the data errors you were talking about. New in v2, some water bodies around the St. Louis region seem to be partly missing the blue infill. Mississippi River, Missouri River, Horseshoe Lake…..in some cases it looks like the problem is following the city/county boundaries.

I take it that infill was there in 1.4? Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can see some comonalities.

I wasnt watching it the whole time, but the dialogue box was up for about 35 minutes (showing the amount dowloaded/time, etc). The I get the box (I think its a Windows thing), saying the that the publisher cant be identified, blah, blah; do I trust it, I click run. After that, nothing happened. I believe in the 1.4 version, this was the point that I got the install wizard. I'll have to try it again tonight.

Yeah, this is where the install wizard should pop up. How big (exactly) is your download? It should be 920,140,297 bytes. I can calculate an MD5 sum if that helps anyone.

Awesome maps! Thank you! You must devote an immense amount of time into this project.

I also noticed that a section of Wisconsin is missing, around N44 32.082, W91 16.147. Also, there is a problem with missing data in Wisconsin near Door county around N45 05.716, W87 11.539. The upper peninsula of Michigan and all of Minnesota is missing the lakes and streams data. All these were present in version 1.4. I also noticed that the Wisconsin lakes and streams are mostly missing, but that was also missing in 1.4.

Awesome maps! Thank you! You must devote an immense amount of time into this project.

I also noticed that a section of Wisconsin is missing, around N44 32.082, W91 16.147. Also, there is a problem with missing data in Wisconsin near Door county around N45 05.716, W87 11.539. The upper peninsula of Michigan and all of Minnesota is missing the lakes and streams data. All these were present in version 1.4. I also noticed that the Wisconsin lakes and streams are mostly missing, but that was also missing in 1.4.

Hats off to you Dale!! Thanks again.

Download and install went perfect!

I did notice some missing water colors as well though. I'll try to post.

My example is the Seattle area, specifically Lake Washington

map 30122047.img

1.4 version

ScreenShot008.jpg

2.0 version

ScreenShot007.jpg

screenshot of 2.0 from Mapsource

ScreenShot006.jpg

I can live without the water issues!! I like how you did the detail levels this time as well.

Drive test to follow tonight on my drive home from work!! Woot, Woot!!

Edited by lookn4somthn

I bet this water stuff is the errors you were talking you saw from cgpsmapper.

Very interesting. I'm going to e-mail Stan and see what kind of errors will generate the message I was seeing. (going to be hard to go through the file manually, and GPSMapEdit renders the source properly)

So far its all polygons correct?

Dale

Did the dowload, but now the areas it selects are huge; several counties instead of just the one I want.

This is as expected. It was done for a few reasons. First and foremost, it was the easiest way to fix the 'unselectable county' problem. The problem stemmed mostly from the fact that some of the counties were defined by multiple polygons. In that case, only the first polygon was used to define the border, which created the problem.

(the alternative solution would have been to try to work out how to automatically create a bounding polygon for the county)

Another advantage of doing it like this, is that it reduces the number of tiles. In theory, one could load the entire country to a GPS with enough storage space (before this wasn't possible)

Yet another advantage is that it makes it *much* more feasible to add topo data to the maps (the topo data is split by lat lons, not by county, so this means I can easily determine which tile to add the topo data to).

Hope that explains the reasonsing behind the change. There shouldn't be more than 8 tiles that are too big to go on even the oldest mapping GPS, and the average tile size is only 1.7MB.

Dale

I think it was b/c I downloaded the new version from Garmin. I unistalled and re-installed the version that came with my GPS.

So, if I understand correctly, rather than select counties, I need to select the tile that contains my county; which is 10.0mb? Sound right?

Thanks again, I appreciate your patience.

Edited by Abandonhope16

I think it was b/c I downloaded the new version from Garmin. I unistalled and re-installed the version that came with my GPS.

So, if I understand correctly, rather than select counties, I need to select the tile that contains my county; which is 10.0mb? Sound right?

Thanks again, I appreciate your patience.

Sounds like you happen to be in one of the 8 tiles that are over 8MB...I hope you're not using an old legend GPS.

As far as the Mapsource error goes, its caused by the old version of the maps (1.4) there is a patch earlier in this thread (previous page I think). Just search for "Good news" and that should find it for you.

Alternatively, you can just uninstall the old version.

Dale

Sounds like you happen to be in one of the 8 tiles that are over 8MB...I hope you're not using an old legend GPS.

As far as the Mapsource error goes, its caused by the old version of the maps (1.4) there is a patch earlier in this thread (previous page I think). Just search for "Good news" and that should find it for you.

Dale

I have a Venture HC with 24MB, so I'm good.

Since my older version of Mapsource works with the maps, is there any benefit/reason I want to upgrade the to newer version and use the patch? I'd like to keep the 1.4 version just in case I travel and only want to select a single county, since I don't have a huge amount of memory.

Thanks again, I think this is a great thing you put together.

Download and install of 2.0 went fine, however I also have the missing lake color problem....Echo Lake Montana at 48*7.68N 114*1.24W. Also, the nearby Echo Creek Road has correct alignment in City Navigator NT2008, but not in either version 1 or 2. Close but not correct. Thanks.......

question, an sorry if this is the wrong place.

How can i uninstall TopoMaps and the whole NTDBData thing, as i am probably getting a new colorado tomorrow and Mapsource won't work. please, i apologize if all this had been said before, but i am very new and getting confuzzled :S

For the Canadian Maps? Not quite the right place, but that's OK. I take it you 'upgraded' mapsource to 6.14?

The easiest fix is probably to just download and run the newest version of mapupdate, and then kill it before its finished. This will remove the registry entries associated with the old version which is screwing things up. (If you let it finish, you should have a fully functional mapsource along with the latest topomaps when its done regardless).

If you're looking to clean things up, you can also delete the install directory once you've done this (\Program Files\TopoMaps by default).

The URL for MapUpdate is http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

Dale

Dale

I have a Venture HC with 24MB, so I'm good.

Since my older version of Mapsource works with the maps, is there any benefit/reason I want to upgrade the to newer version and use the patch? I'd like to keep the 1.4 version just in case I travel and only want to select a single county, since I don't have a huge amount of memory.

Thanks again, I think this is a great thing you put together.

No big differences at this point, if the older version is working OK for you, its probably the better option.

Eventually I plan to add contours to this version though...

Dale

Thanks, although this is a different problem than the unselectable county problem. Rather this is a compilation error. I'll take a look at it, and see if I can figure out *why* it didn't compile.

Is this an important tile for you?

**edit Must have been something to do with running multiple threads. Compiled just fine this time.

Edited by ibycus

Hi Dale, I just did the OSX port and have to say that the new format looks pretty nice. Did see a bunch of "fill errors" with water features and land useage. San Fran looks weirder than usual:

e8d9581b-0ab9-4bfb-bfc7-0306adc767c7.jpg

5 mi with max detail has a missing shoreline for metro San Francisco.

a3001907-851c-4741-ba55-b90801870b9d.jpg

The shoreline will show at 3 mi with max detail, but it looks as if most of the bay is drained.

Dale, thank you so much for taking on this project. Your maps have already kept my 11 month old daughter and I from having our vehicle locked in a trailhead overnight after we got off the trail looking for new geocaching areas. I absentmindedly forgot to mark the vehicle before I left and found myself running through strange neighborhoods in the dark before they locked the gates at 9 PM. Your street map was right on, so I identified the street I drove in on, followed it to the trailhead and made it out five minutes before they locked the gates! Without your map I would have been staring at blank space...Thank you!

On another note, has anybody had problems with Macafee since downloading 14? I'm curious as to whether it is a result of this download or some other data malfunction. I'm having to "fix my protection" nearly every time I come back to my computer. Could be totally unrelated, but it stated right after I downloaded 14 so....thanks for any help yall can provide and thank you, Dale, for saving my butt from an a** chewing from the wife...!

On another note, has anybody had problems with Macafee since downloading 14? I'm curious as to whether it is a result of this download or some other data malfunction. I'm having to "fix my protection" nearly every time I come back to my computer. Could be totally unrelated, but it stated right after I downloaded 14 so....thanks for any help yall can provide and thank you, Dale, for saving my butt from an a** chewing from the wife...!

I've had that for a long time before version 14. Even though I get McAfee free with Comcast, I am thinking about switching to something else.

Dale,

I want to thank you for all your efforts in building and sharing these maps. The entire GPS community should be very appreciative of your efforts. It is not a trivial effort and I hope you are appropriately rewarded via your PayPal link. :D

I wanted to request that you also provide the MD5 hash of the files you generate. As the files are quite large, this is a good way to know that the file was not corrupted on its way to us. In addition, it may allow us to use bittorrent to download the files. I have little trust in bittorrent without pre-published MD5 hashes from the "software provider".

A bittorrent seed would relieve some of the bandwidth burden and spread it out among your appreciative users more.

Give these some thought and again - thanks for your efforts! :D

Scott

Dale,

I want to thank you for all your efforts in building and sharing these maps. The entire GPS community should be very appreciative of your efforts. It is not a trivial effort and I hope you are appropriately rewarded via your PayPal link. :D

I wanted to request that you also provide the MD5 hash of the files you generate. As the files are quite large, this is a good way to know that the file was not corrupted on its way to us. In addition, it may allow us to use bittorrent to download the files. I have little trust in bittorrent without pre-published MD5 hashes from the "software provider".

A bittorrent seed would relieve some of the bandwidth burden and spread it out among your appreciative users more.

Give these some thought and again - thanks for your efforts! :D

Scott

I'll try to remember to get it on the website some time later, but the MD5 hash is

9aa5f10d54ea0547bc9eeab015a91d51 *IbycusUSA20.exe

The size is

920,140,297 bytes

(generally corruption occurs in the form of truncation, so if its just that that you're worried about, this is a quick and dirty check).

Dale

**edit, miscopied file size

Edited by ibycus

This is a terribly n00bish question I am afraid B)

These maps are an absolute Godsend! For those on a limited budget, the price of maps for foreign countires is most often prohibitive. I am planning for a visit to the US on route to a humanitarian work in Europe. I was scouting for USA street maps and have installed the very detailed Ibycus USA set into MapSource.

As it is not at this point autorouting or containing addresses, does this mean I cannot search the map sets? Not having a solid knowledge of US geography I am having a hard time finding places I need to visit. For instance, I am going to MI, and I can find the lake (as it is rather large) but not the town I am staying in. For that matter, I can't find Detroit either.

Have I overlooked something simple? (it was rather late at night when I am looking at this) Or, do I simply need to know my way around more?

I hope while in the US briefly, I might be able to find some caches also.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

p.s. here is a link to an opensource project that has provided great maps for my home country of New Zealand if anyone is ever visiting and needs accurate maps. NZ Open GPS Maps

This is a terribly n00bish question I am afraid B)

These maps are an absolute Godsend! For those on a limited budget, the price of maps for foreign countires is most often prohibitive. I am planning for a visit to the US on route to a humanitarian work in Europe. I was scouting for USA street maps and have installed the very detailed Ibycus USA set into MapSource.

As it is not at this point autorouting or containing addresses, does this mean I cannot search the map sets? Not having a solid knowledge of US geography I am having a hard time finding places I need to visit. For instance, I am going to MI, and I can find the lake (as it is rather large) but not the town I am staying in. For that matter, I can't find Detroit either.

Have I overlooked something simple? (it was rather late at night when I am looking at this) Or, do I simply need to know my way around more?

I hope while in the US briefly, I might be able to find some caches also.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

p.s. here is a link to an opensource project that has provided great maps for my home country of New Zealand if anyone is ever visiting and needs accurate maps. NZ Open GPS Maps

Have you tried "Find-->Nearest Places". The POIs on the map are searchable, but the streets etc are not, so you should be able to use that to find where you're going.

Another option is to use something like Google Earth to get Lat Lons, and then use the Lat/Lons to find the place on my maps.

Dale

Dale,

Im not sure if Im missing something or not. But Ive downloaded the file 3 times. The first time, I didnt notice and installer file. So, I downloaded it again. Same thing.

The 3rd time I downloaded it, it was not the same 877 Meg file. was only 35+. Would it be possible for you to include in your signature, a link to the latest download. Searching though 100's of messages is difficult, and the Download I find may not be the latest release.

Thanks

Dale,

Im not sure if Im missing something or not. But Ive downloaded the file 3 times. The first time, I didnt notice and installer file. So, I downloaded it again. Same thing.

The 3rd time I downloaded it, it was not the same 877 Meg file. was only 35+. Would it be possible for you to include in your signature, a link to the latest download. Searching though 100's of messages is difficult, and the Download I find may not be the latest release.

Thanks

I'll have to check with TPTB if this is acceptable, or if it smacks too much of an ad (as I do accept donations for them).

The link for the USA maps is http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/

The Canadian maps can be downloaded from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

I suggest using something like firefox to download the files, as it seems to handle the large downloads better than IE does.

Download and install of 2.0 went fine, however I also have the missing lake color problem....Echo Lake Montana at 48*7.68N 114*1.24W. Also, the nearby Echo Creek Road has correct alignment in City Navigator NT2008, but not in either version 1 or 2. Close but not correct. Thanks.......

Same here, no issues with the install. I like the larger segments, the entire country fits now. I did notice three "holes" that 1.4 didn't have, not sure if these are the same others have noticed or not. I also noticed the missing water data, and have discovered that the water doesn't start showing on version 1.4 until about 5 mile zoom and on 2.0 its .3 mile zoom. Not sure if the zoom level has anything to do with it but I figured I would mention it just in case.

Same here, no issues with the install. I like the larger segments, the entire country fits now. I did notice three "holes" that 1.4 didn't have, not sure if these are the same others have noticed or not. I also noticed the missing water data, and have discovered that the water doesn't start showing on version 1.4 until about 5 mile zoom and on 2.0 its .3 mile zoom. Not sure if the zoom level has anything to do with it but I figured I would mention it just in case.

I've filled in one or two of these holes. Couple of them are because of limitations in cGPSMapper (maximum 2GB of memory allocated to a segment, which means that it can't compile them). I could chop the tile smaller and recompile if these tiles are of particular importance to anyone.

Dale

I've filled in one or two of these holes. Couple of them are because of limitations in cGPSMapper (maximum 2GB of memory allocated to a segment, which means that it can't compile them). I could chop the tile smaller and recompile if these tiles are of particular importance to anyone.

Dale

I just loaded maps from 1.4 to fill the holes, I still had enough segments to load the entire country so that is no problem. But the water data would be something useful as there are many streams and lakes around here. For now I will use the 1.4 load which has all the TN data, but like I said; I like the larger segments in 2.0!

I just loaded maps from 1.4 to fill the holes, I still had enough segments to load the entire country so that is no problem. But the water data would be something useful as there are many streams and lakes around here. For now I will use the 1.4 load which has all the TN data, but like I said; I like the larger segments in 2.0!

Haven't yet figured out exactly what is causing the problems with some of the water data (I assume you have *some* water data). I assume its some kind of data misformating on my part, but I haven't managed to track it down yet. (larger segments are definitely here to stay).

Dale

Haven't yet figured out exactly what is causing the problems with some of the water data (I assume you have *some* water data). I assume its some kind of data misformating on my part, but I haven't managed to track it down yet. (larger segments are definitely here to stay).

Dale

Yes, some water data and (at least in Land between the Lakes) it still has the polygons where the water should be. On one part (LBL Center N36 45.968 W88 02.093) it has half the water on the left side while on the other not. I will keep an eye out for updates, no hurry though what you have provided works great with a few tweaks.

I don't have the password anymore. I would just do a wget from my server to yours; its so so so much faster. I've PMed you a link directly to the file.

Wow, that was quick. Where is your server hosted? I'm getting 3MB/sec transfer from my server to yours!

I don't have the password anymore. I would just do a wget from my server to yours; its so so so much faster. I've PMed you a link directly to the file.

Wow, that was quick. Where is your server hosted? I'm getting 3MB/sec transfer from my server to yours!

Dreamhost... But yea, thats why I use wget wherever possible.

So what was updated in 2.0?

Is there a changelog you keep for updates?

2.0 now works with the latest version of Mapsource. Also all tiles were 're-tiled' to make them larger, and square as opposed to county shaped, which fixed the 'unselectable county bug'. There does however seem to be a new bug introduced with some of the water features not filling correctly. (Probably should keep a changelog, but I don't...)