Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

You're trying to split a complex polygon (one with nested holes). I'm considering exactly the same problem for a tiling task for OpenStreetMap. I came across this interesting paper

Edit: fixed broken url tag

I think you may have 'fixed it good'. The link worked earlier, but now I can't seem to read it.

Dale

The site is down. My edit was only a minute or so after my original post, and it was to fix a missing slash on the closing url tag. I just poked through my browser cache to see if I could resurrect the pdf, but it's gone. Hopefully the site will come back soon...

Edit: I found another paper that purports to have a fast algorithm. The paper is longer, but I don't think it's too difficult to understand (I haven't read it fully, mainly the abstract). It even has some pseudocode, which is always helpful.

Edit again: I tracked down a paper referenced in the above one, which has an algorithm for clipping against rectangles, which I think is what you want to do. It's much simpler and has a C implementation given (look at the "2D polygon clipping" section).

Edit one last (?) time: Found the original paper on the new CiteSeer site here.

Edited by SiliconFiend

dale i recently d/l the latest map update and i have ran into a few problems..Mapsource don't work anymore for me.It pops up saying there is a problem and try re-installing..So i did and still have the same problem.I had no problems with any software after i ran your previous file before 1.41 i belive.I uninstalled and reinstalled mapsource..trip & waypoint manager..Any ideas??? thank you....NEVERMIND..I just realized i downloaded the mac version....could someone please post the windows version....thank you..

Edited by chief_illini217

Isure that the map selection is correct. I live in King County and it has a check mark on it. Yes, there are islands in the county. Several in fact. As far as Lat/Long Im at 47.21.168/122.03.461

Hi, I can confirm that I know what the problem is, and am working on a fix. If you're impatient, and technically litterate, you can fix the problem yourself (you need to open the map files with GPS Map Edit, and delete the Map Coverage area entity type, and recompile it, afterwards you'll need to recompile the 'pv' file). I'd do it myself, but the fix needs to be applied to quite a few squares, and I'd like to get the problem actually fixed rather than applying a 'patchwork' fix to it.

Dale

Berta,

I will admit it was not so much my impatience but the challenge to see if I could fix the one county file. I have a 'fixed' version of King and Snoho counties you're welcome to use. Just save it to where you installed the Ibycus maps and overwrite the file with this one.

Here's my post from page 6:

"Well, I did some digging and found out why some of the counties in

Washington State don't work.

King = 20053033 (bunch of 'unknown' type polys, I selected all 'unknown'

and changed the type to 'Map Coverage Area', recompiled the maps and it seems to work now, I've

uploaded the modified version here

http://adrive.com/public/16f506df44d229c6e...8b7cb63486.html

)

Snohomish = 20053061 (again 'unknown' polys, modified version here

http://adrive.com/public/0b7a23e3e1f8c7f79...2433ba654.html)

Skagit = 20053057 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county are 'City Park' type... not sure how to fix

that one without loosing all of the other parks)

Whatcom = 20053073 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county is a 'Golf Course'.... again not sure how to fix that...)

If someone wants to use these 'modified' versions, simply copy my versions

into the C:\Program Files\IbycusUSA\imgs files after you have

extracted/installed the latest Ibycus13usa maps.

Thanks again Dale, hope the dog is getting better as well as your sleep. ;-)

Hope it helps,

Brian

Brian, the adrive links aren't working for me ... I just get "your download should start automatically.. if not click here" so I click here, and it says "You are trying to visit a page without visiting the download page first"

"An error has occured. Please Return to Download Page and try again. Thanks."

any ideas?

Sorry, looks like my links got chopped...

Try these:

King County = http://tinyurl.com/5zus29

Snohomish = http://tinyurl.com/5vhl3f

Again, all I did was use GPSMapedit to change the 'type' of a few polys from 'unknown' to 'map coverage area'... then recompiled...

Hope it helps,

Brian

Check to see if the county Davis is in has been realigned - over 1/3 have not. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp...hp07nomtaip.txt

26131 Ontonagon, MI

I guess that explains it. I've been very pleased with the Ibycus maps. I did notice that once I hit ontonagon county, many roads seemed to be shifted by about 50 feet, if I recall. I was planning to post about it, but wanted to do some more experimenting to see if it was everything or just certain roads.

I guess the maps are only as good as the data that's available though. ;)

Thanks again Ibycus for your hard work on this project. It is MUCH appreciated. I have the maps loaded on 2 GPS units--on my 60Cx, I have CN2008, but I also have the Ibycus maps. There are times when the back roads are more complete on the Ibycus mapset.

I also have it loaded on the 60C that I use sometimes--I don't have CN on that unit, so these maps are all I use on that one.

dale i recently d/l the latest map update and i have ran into a few problems..Mapsource don't work anymore for me.It pops up saying there is a problem and try re-installing..So i did and still have the same problem.I had no problems with any software after i ran your previous file before 1.41 i belive.I uninstalled and reinstalled mapsource..trip & waypoint manager..Any ideas??? thank you....NEVERMIND..I just realized i downloaded the mac version....could someone please post the windows version....thank you..

Just wanted to comment. There is a known bug with these maps, and the latest mapsource beta, which will produce an error similar to the one you're seeing here. If anyone is running in to it, *please* let me know. I think I have a fix, but need a couple more successful tests before I waste my time uploading gigs and gigs of data.

Dale

Just wanted to comment. There is a known bug with these maps, and the latest mapsource beta, which will produce an error similar to the one you're seeing here. If anyone is running in to it, *please* let me know. I think I have a fix, but need a couple more successful tests before I waste my time uploading gigs and gigs of data.

Dale

ok i am frustrated here..I am looking for the newest update..I currently have version 1.3.It runs fine but like most i want to update it.Also why doesn't elevations and such show up on mapsource trip & waypoint mgr. thank you

Newb here... was excited to see this and did the download for Mac. It ran for approx. 16 hours, left an file, to which I tried to open/extract and all that was there was a txt file. When downloading I noticed it was a fairly large file, but checking the downloaded file it was 0kb ;)

Just wanted to leave a note here, but I don't know if it's related unless other people have been experiencing it too. Seems like since I updated to 1.4 my 60CSX has been hanging on shutdown with a long unending tone, and sometimes less frequently hanging on startup, stuck at the opening splash screen, only remedy is to remove the batteries and try again.

Anyone else happen to have this issue?

If you are still taking information about errors, there is an area around the eastern end of the Grand Canyon that won't select. If you are zoomed out it shows up as selected, but at 50 mi or lower it is not selected.

mapyg7.jpg

Thanks for the work.

It is interesting having all the extra trails around Las Vegas and seeing all the streets that Metroguide doesn't show. Being one of the fastest growing cities in the US, it is a bit unrealistic to expect everything to be on the map.

alimamo

ok i am frustrated here..I am looking for the newest update..I currently have version 1.3.It runs fine but like most i want to update it.Also why doesn't elevations and such show up on mapsource trip & waypoint mgr. thank you

The download URL for 1.4 is at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/ . It doesn't show contours, because their aren't any :D. Future versions should, but 1.4 doesn't.

Newb here... was excited to see this and did the download for Mac. It ran for approx. 16 hours, left an file, to which I tried to open/extract and all that was there was a txt file. When downloading I noticed it was a fairly large file, but checking the downloaded file it was 0kb :D

Sounds like you have a corrupted download. Not much I can recommend except to redownload (or get someone else to download, and burn it.)

If you are still taking information about errors, there is an area around the eastern end of the Grand Canyon that won't select. If you are zoomed out it shows up as selected, but at 50 mi or lower it is not selected.

Thanks for the work.

It is interesting having all the extra trails around Las Vegas and seeing all the streets that Metroguide doesn't show. Being one of the fastest growing cities in the US, it is a bit unrealistic to expect everything to be on the map.

alimamo

Thanks, the fix I'm working on will involve basically starting from scratch as far as the compiling goes, and should automatically find these problems (which is a big part of the reason I'm doing the fix the way I'm doing it).

Dale

Newb here... was excited to see this and did the download for Mac. It ran for approx. 16 hours, left an file, to which I tried to open/extract and all that was there was a txt file. When downloading I noticed it was a fairly large file, but checking the downloaded file it was 0kb :D

Sounds like you have a corrupted download. Not much I can recommend except to redownload (or get someone else to download, and burn it.)

Thanks for the quick response, I was able to download this morning and load however in Bobcat (the Mac OS Mapsource tool) I see the following screen shots (County lines only), no topo or streets.

Picture1.png

The following is a zoomed in view at 3 miles

Picture2.png

Edited by boboso

Picture1.png

Looks like you've got a show/hide detail issue here. Not knowing the details of Bobcat, I can't help you for where to look to 'show GPS map detail', but on the PC its CTRL-G, or View--> Show GPS Map detail, that you would do to fix this problem.

I should mention though that you won't see contour lines whatever you do (unless you have some kind of psychotic break), as they aren't there.

Dale

I just received my eTrex Venture HC unit yesterday. Several threads have suggested downloading the ibycus (sp?) maps. Is there a way to only download Georgia? With only 24 mb of storage on the Venture HC, I don't need the whole US, but would like to load my local area.

What are the steps for loading a portion of the map? I've never loaded any maps and am totally new to this, not a techie at all.

I tried to download my local area (20 mile radius or so) from the map that's on the CD (Trip & WP Mgr.) that came with the unit, but couldn't get it to work. ??? That one would be fine, just couldn't figure out how to load it. But lots of forum threads recommend these other maps.

Thanks for any tips or advice--

I just received my eTrex Venture HC unit yesterday. Several threads have suggested downloading the ibycus (sp?) maps. Is there a way to only download Georgia? With only 24 mb of storage on the Venture HC, I don't need the whole US, but would like to load my local area.

What are the steps for loading a portion of the map? I've never loaded any maps and am totally new to this, not a techie at all.

I tried to download my local area (20 mile radius or so) from the map that's on the CD (Trip & WP Mgr.) that came with the unit, but couldn't get it to work. ??? That one would be fine, just couldn't figure out how to load it. But lots of forum threads recommend these other maps.

I'm new to all this GPS and map stuff myself...but had great luck last week downloading the ibycus maps and then just selecting the section (of the USA) that I really wanted. You can click and drag just one area (of counties) and put those on your GPS to save space.

I'm on a regular computer(no mac) and as far as I know you have to download the whole file, which is the entire US, you need mapsource(which you should have gotten by downloading the that disc), and after you download the map file you just select ibycus's maps from the map selector in the top left corner of mapsource so the maps display and then select whichever sections(counties/states) from the map you want to sent to the gpsr with the highlighter(in the toolbar on top), in your case it would be however much of Georgia you can fit in 24mb(I dont know how big georgia is), and then just hit "send to device", its simpler than it probably seems...

one of my units is only 24mb also(summit hc), I live in wisconsin and the state of wisconsin was around 28mb(if I remember right) so I couldnt get the whole state on mine but its still enough

ibycus's map file is fairly big, I downloaded it on my back-up laptop and it took over 3 hours, if you read through this thread from the beginning it will explain in detail exactly what you need to do, it may seem confusing now but its not hard at all and after you do it you'll be surprised how easy it is(unless you run into a problem anyway)... and after an hour or two of playing around in mapsource you'll have that mastered too...

As others have said, yep you have to download the whole thing. Its just too much maintenance to provide seperate downloads for each state, *but* you can easily select which counties to load to your GPS using Mapsource (Trip and Waypoint Manager). If you have any trouble, just let me know, and I'll do my best to help.

(Trip and Waypoint Manager isn't AFAIK designed to allow you do download *anything* to the GPS, its just for reference on the screen when you bring the data off your GPS in).

Dale

Looks like great maps!

Thanks Ibycus for all the work and patience with all of the questions and problems.

I just got a Legend HCx with a 2GB card. I'm on a DSL line and a few posts above somebody mentioned 16 hours to download. Is that realistic with a DSL?

Part of my hesitation is the fact that I am off grid. Depending on solar panels for power and thinking about a 16 hour download really spooks me.

If that's what it takes, I'll take a close look at a weather forecast and git 'er done :)

Thanks,

Oak

Looks like great maps!

Thanks Ibycus for all the work and patience with all of the questions and problems.

I just got a Legend HCx with a 2GB card. I'm on a DSL line and a few posts above somebody mentioned 16 hours to download. Is that realistic with a DSL?

Part of my hesitation is the fact that I am off grid. Depending on solar panels for power and thinking about a 16 hour download really spooks me.

If that's what it takes, I'll take a close look at a weather forecast and git 'er done :)

Thanks,

Oak

No, it shouldn't take 16 hrs. I did it in an hr on a T-1 line and at home it took 2hrs or so on a cell phone modem (300K) Good luck!

I have a 76csx and city navagator NT 2008. Would I gain anything from loading these maps??? I would like alternatives to garmin maps. Do they currently contain any TOPO data for the USA maps. I know the canada maps contain TOPO.

It depends what you're trying to gain. You might gain more accurate roads and streets (I haven't seen this in my area but others have). There's better "water" info on these maps - streams, rivers, wet lands, etc.

There are some things you'd lose, too. You won't be able to use the maps for turn-by-turn navigation. You don't get the POI's included in CN2008. With CN2008 you can fit the whole US on a 2gig card. However, that doesn't work for these maps, you'll run into the 2025 "tiles" limit first.

Neither one has TOPO data.

I love these maps, though. They are great on my devices where I don't have CN2008 (or similar). I use them regurlarly.

Looks like great maps!

If that's what it takes, I'll take a close look at a weather forecast and git 'er done :P

Thanks,

Oak

Have you tried downloading yet? I'm in the process right now of uploading on a 'file by file' basis, which would make it easier to resume a broken download. If you'd like to go that way, let me know.

Dale

How do I import the img files into Mapsource?

Signed,

Clueless in Virginia

Already replied via e-mail, but I'll duplicate here for the benefit of others.

You’d be surprised how often I get that question. In mapsource, in the top left hand corner you’ll see a dropdown list box. From the dropdown list, select “Ibycus USA 1.4”.

Select the tiles you want to send to the GPS (using the map select tool), and then hit the “Send to device” button.

Dale

For those of you using the ibycus maps and other maps on your GPS-do you just keep them on different cards? I don't see an easy way of switching between map files because the ibycus maps list all the small maps in in the map selection area and there are 100s listed. (I loaded most of the US on a 2 g card). If I had a topo map, and wanted to use it on my GPS, it would seem it should be on another card right? Otherwise, you'd have to unclick all the ibycus maps in order to see the topo one? Maybe there is a work around-I'm new to this obviously.

Otherwise, you'd have to unclick all the ibycus maps in order to see the topo one? Maybe there is a work around-I'm new to this obviously.

When you're in the Map Setup screen, instead of unchecking each tile individually, hit the menu button again. There you should be able to hide or show map families (i.e. "Hide Ibycus USA," "Show City Navigator" etc.). Makes it much easier than clicking on each individual map

I do this frequently as I have both CN and Ibycus. I use CN primarily for auto routing, but I find that often the Ibycus maps have better detail on back roads. To show the Ibycus maps, I have to hide CN. It took me a while to figure that one out. :P

Ibycus,

I bow at your feet! File by file would be wonderful. I was downloading for over 6 hours yesterday, and as it turns out I was a few megabites short of enough memory for the download. I guess a few megs short is a pretty good description :anitongue: .

I'm in Maine and I'm not really interested in the whole country, but I would gladly have downloaded the whole thing and then chosen which maps I needed from your complete list.

If needed, I'll just forget the whole project.

You're doing a huge service with these maps!

Thanks,

Oak

Ibycus,

I bow at your feet! File by file would be wonderful. I was downloading for over 6 hours yesterday, and as it turns out I was a few megabites short of enough memory for the download. I guess a few megs short is a pretty good description :anitongue: .

I'm in Maine and I'm not really interested in the whole country, but I would gladly have downloaded the whole thing and then chosen which maps I needed from your complete list.

If needed, I'll just forget the whole project.

You're doing a huge service with these maps!

Thanks,

Oak

For the time being, you'll have to script the download yourself. I can offer you some advice for there, as well as a complete file listing, which will help with the download process.

I would also recommend you download MapsetToolkit to install them in to Mapsource.

Drop me an e-mail if you need any specific help.

Dale

Quick and "easy" way to add topo info to the IbycusUSA maps. The following worked for me. In 1h I had made a topo overlay for a good chunk of Missouri. I have ripped off most of this text form here and there…..

Download and install these applications:

DEM2TOPO - http://people.uleth.ca/~brad.gom/dem2topo/

GPSmapedit - http://www.geopainting.com/en/

cGPSmapper - http://www.cgpsmapper.com/

MapSetToolKit - http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/

Go to the USGS map server: http://seamless.usgs.gov/ click "view and download USA data."

Zoom into the approximate area you want topo data for then use the "define rectangular download area" tool (under Downloads) to select the area you want topo data for. This will generate a pop up window with data files in ArcGRID format (make sure that you have allowed pop up windows from this website).

These are no good to you so click "Modify Data Request." This brings up a huge list. Scroll down to "National Elevation Set (NED) 1 Arc Second" and change it to GeoTIFF format from the drop down (you can also change this to 1/3 Arc if you need more topo detail but watch out for huge files). Now scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save changes and Return to summary." This takes you back to the download page.

Click on the download buttons to start the magic. Your elevation data downloads as ZIP files. You may have more than one file if you selected a large area (thus more than one download button). Unzip these files once downloaded.

Start up DEM2TOPO and click "Select DEM Files." Select the TIFF file from the set of data you extracted from the ZIP file.

Next set your intervals. 100m, 50m, 5m, 1.5m is good (USA friendly would be in feet...naturally, 400ft, 200ft, 20ft, 5ft). Make sure that the "Enable Plot" and "Enable Bitmap" boxes are empty, If you don't nastiness will happen.

Click "Create .mp File." This will start the number crunching. Could take some time and my computer (Vista) makes claims about the program being unresponsive at times….lies! Once this is finished you will have a .mp file (Polish Map Format). Do this for all the ZIP files you downloaded if more than one.

Start GPSmapedit and open the .mp file you created. It could take a few minutes to load.

Change the displayed units to "Feet" if you find yourself in the USA: Tools, Option, Units, and Elevation/Depth.

Next click File, Map Properties...click on the cGPSMapper tab: select "Transparent map with transparent background". Double check this setting before your final save. Click on the Header tab: enter a unique map ID number (8 digits). Give the map a name, this is the name that will display in MapSource and on your GPS.

Click on the Levels tab, you have to edit the GPS "zoom levels" so the contours and streams appear at appropriate "zoom levels" on your GPS: A Note about GPS Zoom and Data Visibility. As you zoom in on your GPS you see more data.

Setting up Zoom Levels - Create all the Zoom levels (layers) before you do anything else. Edit, Map Properties, Levels. If you just finished using DEM2TOPO then your new custom map will already have 4 layers (0, 1, 2, 3) in it by default. Highlight the bottom layer on the list and click "Insert Before" to insert new layers. Six layers should be enough:

Layer 0 set for 24 bits – Zoom (Under 1.2km)

Layer 1 set for 22 bits – Zoom (1.2 – 3km)

Layer 2 set for 20 bits – Zoom (3 – 8km)

Layer 3 set for 19 bits – Zoom (8 – 12km)

Layer 4 set for 18 bits – (12 – 30km) this layer should ONLY have one small line (polyline) on it: click View,

Levels, Level 4. Then select Tools, Create Object, and draw a tiny line anywhere (right-click and select "End" to finish drawing the line. Do not enter a name, press ESC). The purpose of this layer is to HIDE your custom map when you zoom way out on the GPS.

Layer 5 set for 17 bits – (50 – 120km) This layer must be totally empty.

IMPORTANT: Even though the "MapSource Zoom" field is not used for our purposes you must set it so that it increases as you go down the zoom list. Otherwise the map will fail to compile in cGPSmapper and you will get an error!

Save this map in MP format.

Click, File, Export, Garmin IMG. Choose your export location. Next a window to run cGPSMapper will pop up. Make sure it's pointing to the location you installed cGPSMapper and click run. This can take some time. Do this for all the IMG files you created with DEM2TOPO (if more than one).

Now you have an IMG file that can be used with Map Source...to do that...you need to work with MapSetToolKit. This program will take your IMG file and make it available in the map drop down in MapSource.

Start MapSetToolKit (make sure any instances of MapSource are closed).

Click "Select ING Files" Select your IMG file(s) and hit okay. Now it/they will be listed under "Source IMG files." Now select those files and click "Add." Under "Create TDB" click the "..." button beside "Mapset Directory" and select the directory that you IMG file is in. Beside "Mapset Name" enter a name for your map. Beside Product code enter a 4 digit product code that you don't see in the list under "Mapset Installed." Enter some copyright info if you like. Then put a check mark in the box for "Install in MapSource. Finally make sure that the cgpsmapper box is pointing to the cgpsmapper program (you downloaded this earlier).

Click start. Things will happen and you will get a message if things go well.

The end result is that you will have a new mapset available to you in MapSource. When uploading maps to your Garmin make sure to include it.

2680135991_b26cc0fff7_o.jpg2680135949_01100d417e_o.jpg

Edited by ryleyinstl

First, Thanks for these maps! They are Awesome.

Question: any feedback as to why I am unable to select and load the 3 tiles shown to my Vista HcX? (California - Santa Barbara, Ventura, and LA counties roughly)

All the adjacent tiles in pink load fine & I can switch between maps on the GPSr OK.

Do you think corruption happened? Should I re-DL the 1.0GB 1.4 exe file and retry?

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks, Holazola

IbycusUSA143tiles.jpg

(edit: smaller pic)

Edited by holazola

First, Thanks for these maps! They are Awesome.

Question: any feedback as to why I am unable to select and load the 3 tiles shown to my Vista HcX? (California - Santa Barbara, Ventura, and LA counties roughly)

All the adjacent tiles in pink load fine & I can switch between maps on the GPSr OK.

Do you think corruption happened? Should I re-DL the 1.0GB 1.4 exe file and retry?

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks, Holazola

(edit: smaller pic)

This is a known bug. I'm working on a fix. If you're technically inclined, drop me an e-mail and I can walk you through a fix for these particular tiles (there are others that have the same problem), which involves recompiling them.

If not, you'll have to wait for the fix.

Dale

This is a known bug. I'm working on a fix. If you're technically inclined, drop me an e-mail and I can walk you through a fix for these particular tiles (there are others that have the same problem), which involves recompiling them.

Thanks for the reply Dale. At this point I'll be patient and wait for the next rollout. I just wanted to confirm I wasn't missing some critical step! Have a great weekend. -Holazola

I've had a report of incompatibility between Ibycus USA and the latest (just released mapsource). Can someone confirm that this is the case? I've been messing with my install lately, so my own install isn't a good judge.

When I tried to install 1.41 in Mapsource it said something like error in tiger maps -which I assume were yours. So I uninstalled them. Then it came up error in Topo2008 maps- which I also have. At that point I gave up and went back to the previous version of mapsource. Not sure if this is your problem or Garmins. Also heard people who had other custom maps have had problems.

I've had a report of incompatibility between Ibycus USA and the latest (just released mapsource). Can someone confirm that this is the case? I've been messing with my install lately, so my own install isn't a good judge.

I also had an error message come up. Something about missing TigerData (I wish I had written it down).

The update would not work so I went back to the previous version.

I'm getting the update now. I'll bet it breaks all the custom maps (not good).

I know my Canadian Topo works in the new Mapsource. I think its a problem with the way I compiled the index map. Right now I'm working on compiling a new version of the US maps that will work with the latest mapsource. (confirmed that the current version doesn't work with the latest mapsource).

Well, it only broke Indyjpr's maps. He already fixed his :sad: Mine still worked so that is good.

And I can't load the Ibycus Maps anymore.

Dale, need to know how I do the setup for mine?

I already fixed my topos (version 2.0 beta works fine, and I have a 'fix file' for version 1.5). Its a problem with my PV file. I'm going to (try) to incorporate the fix with the tiling I've been promising.

Hopefully with the added incentive it won't take me more than a couple days to get things going.

Dale

Well, it only broke Indyjpr's maps. He already fixed his :unsure: Mine still worked so that is good.

I already fixed my topos (version 2.0 beta works fine, and I have a 'fix file' for version 1.5). Its a problem with my PV file. I'm going to (try) to incorporate the fix with the tiling I've been promising.

Hopefully with the added incentive it won't take me more than a couple days to get things going.

Dale

Apparently using cpreview rather than cgpsmapper pv fixes the problem.

Well, it only broke Indyjpr's maps. He already fixed his :lol: Mine still worked so that is good.

Dale

Apparently using cpreview rather than cgpsmapper pv fixes the problem.

Actually, you can use cgpsmapper, you just have to have your PV set up properly (can't recall the exact key I needed to add/change), which is a good thing, because cpreview won't run for me (mapset too big).

Dale

i just installed new 1.41 maps....everything looking good and downloaded great.

How can i go about changing entries on my page that now shows geographic points? and all points of interest? i already had custom point of interest now i have gained the 2 previous mentioned pages..

Edited by chief_illini217

Actually, you can use cgpsmapper, you just have to have your PV set up properly (can't recall the exact key I needed to add/change), which is a good thing, because cpreview won't run for me (mapset too big).

Dale

Are you sure. I thought it was a bug in cgpsmapper that it was not including the FID in the TDB file?

Dale

Are you sure. I thought it was a bug in cgpsmapper that it was not including the FID in the TDB file?

Pretty sure, as I didn't use cpreview for the TopoMaps. (Running that would take at least 24 hours to finish, if it finished at all...Last time I ran it, it gave me a 2+GB mp file that wouldn't compile).

Dale

i just installed new 1.41 maps....everything looking good and downloaded great.

How can i go about changing entries on my page that now shows geographic points? and all points of interest? i already had custom point of interest now i have gained the 2 previous mentioned pages..

Must be overworked today... I don't follow.

Currently rebuilding the source files for my USA maps. This version should fix the problem with certain counties not being uploadable to the GPS, and should make it easier for me to (later) add contours to the maps.

Dale

Awesome. its gonna be a big map week. The Mississippi topo will also be out this week. Fixing the last segments that were over 8mb per segment right now.

Currently rebuilding the source files for my USA maps. This version should fix the problem with certain counties not being uploadable to the GPS, and should make it easier for me to (later) add contours to the maps.

Dale

Awesome. its gonna be a big map week. The Mississippi topo will also be out this week. Fixing the last segments that were over 8mb per segment right now.

Thats something to consider... I wonder how big the IMGs I'm creating will be. Not going to change now, but its something to consider...

How big an mp file do you find compiles to ~8MB?