Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

I'm going a bit nuts. I've downloaded the MAC version of the maps, and opened them in Bobcat (garmin's beta waypoint software) It see the country, state and county borders, but nothing else. No roads, water or anything. It seems there is an option of the PC waypoint software to tunr detail on and off, but not so in Bobcat (even called tech support).

Has anyone got these map working via a mac (not using a PC emulator on a mac). If so, what software did you use and how?

Try zooming in. All the data is there. The detail can be set with the slider at the bottom right. Here's a screen shot of Minneapolis, Minnesota at 0.2 miles and medium detail:

7a878cb7-1c3f-4290-9149-81383f80e9e0.jpg

I'm going a bit nuts. I've downloaded the MAC version of the maps, and opened them in Bobcat (garmin's beta waypoint software) It see the country, state and county borders, but nothing else. No roads, water or anything. It seems there is an option of the PC waypoint software to tunr detail on and off, but not so in Bobcat (even called tech support).

Has anyone got these map working via a mac (not using a PC emulator on a mac). If so, what software did you use and how?

Try zooming in. All the data is there. The detail can be set with the slider at the bottom right. Here's a screen shot of Minneapolis, Minnesota at 0.2 miles and medium detail:

Oh that makes me jealous. When I zoom in, and put the detail on high, it's nothing but white. I'm curious if what you did to get this to work. Did you just download the file, uncompress and import into Bobcat?

I'm about to break down and but City Navigator. :)

Edited by Hrustar

Oh that makes me jealous. When I zoom in, and put the detail on high, it's nothing but white. I'm curious if what you did to get this to work. Did you just download the file, uncompress and import into Bobcat?

I'm about to break down and but City Navigator. :)

Have you gotten the Ibycus maps to download to your GPS? I've got bobcat and map manager and mapinstall, and when I try mapinstall, it says it's transferring data and that it'll take a long time, but, in fact, it takes about a minute, and, so far as I can tell, nothing actually transfers. What did you use? In another thread that I can't find again, someone seemed to be saying that the City Navigator for Mac really isn't totally Mac friendly and that you still have to do all of this to use it. Do you know if that's true?

Karen

Ok, What did I do wrong.... When I launch Mapsource and zoom into 1.5 miles, all of the surface streets show up. But, I sent the same maps to my new 60Csx and I went to the map selection menu and theres checkmarks next to all the maps that I downloaded. When I go to the screen where you can hide/unhide the base map or the Ibycus maps, it shows that the Ibycus maps are NOT hiden. But no matter what zoom level I select on the GPS, I cannot see anything but the base map. Theres no indication that the Ibycus maps are even there.

Ok, What did I do wrong.... When I launch Mapsource and zoom into 1.5 miles, all of the surface streets show up. But, I sent the same maps to my new 60Csx and I went to the map selection menu and theres checkmarks next to all the maps that I downloaded. When I go to the screen where you can hide/unhide the base map or the Ibycus maps, it shows that the Ibycus maps are NOT hiden. But no matter what zoom level I select on the GPS, I cannot see anything but the base map. Theres no indication that the Ibycus maps are even there.

What area are you in (lat lons for the county?) Are there any islands in the county? Is the map selection area correct?

Dale

Isure that the map selection is correct. I live in King County and it has a check mark on it. Yes, there are islands in the county. Several in fact. As far as Lat/Long Im at 47.21.168/122.03.461

Hi, I can confirm that I know what the problem is, and am working on a fix. If you're impatient, and technically litterate, you can fix the problem yourself (you need to open the map files with GPS Map Edit, and delete the Map Coverage area entity type, and recompile it, afterwards you'll need to recompile the 'pv' file). I'd do it myself, but the fix needs to be applied to quite a few squares, and I'd like to get the problem actually fixed rather than applying a 'patchwork' fix to it.

Dale

do you know of a way to convert to Magellan format?

From what I've been able to tell, most of the custom Magellan mapping revolves around using a gray market copy of "Mobile Mapper Office". Mobile Mapper Office was originally distributed by Thales Navigation, but was pulled when they found out it could be used like this. Since then its been circulating temporarily on various sites over the internet (none of which I think have authorization to post the file).

That being said, it can be done, but its not automatic.

I'm about to break down and but City Navigator. :blink:

Nothing special. Did you know that ibycus also has a map of US States and County boundaries? Could you be using that one? Make sure to select the map in the dropdown on the upper right. How far did you zoom in on the map? The road data isn't seen unless you zoom in far enough.

Have you gotten the Ibycus maps to download to your GPS? I've got bobcat and map manager and mapinstall, and when I try mapinstall, it says it's transferring data and that it'll take a long time, but, in fact, it takes about a minute, and, so far as I can tell, nothing actually transfers. What did you use? In another thread that I can't find again, someone seemed to be saying that the City Navigator for Mac really isn't totally Mac friendly and that you still have to do all of this to use it. Do you know if that's true?

Karen

You have to select what map tiles you are loading to the GPS in Mapinstall. It should take a while to compile the tiles into one gmapsupp.img file and send it. In what way is CNNT2009 not Mac friendly when you buy the Mac version?

Edited by coggins

Make sure you download from this link. You may have downloaded the Canadian Topos from here and that's why you are only seeing state and county boundaries.

Edited by sheeter

Nothing special. Did you know that ibycus also has a map of US States and County boundaries? Could you be using that one? Make sure to select the map in the dropdown on the upper right. How far did you zoom in on the map? The road data isn't seen unless you zoom in far enough.

Karen

You have to select what map tiles you are loading to the GPS in Mapinstall. It should take a while to compile the tiles into one gmapsupp.img file and send it. In what way is CNNT2009 not Mac friendly when you buy the Mac version?

Mapinstall doesn't ask (or offer me a chance) to select. It just asks if I want to load the ibycus maps. According to the garmin instructions, that's exactly what it's supposed to say. There's no mention anywhere of map tiles. Where's the select section?

I don't know about CNNT2008, because I haven't been able to find the post again. The guy who was writing was saying that he was sending CN back to Garmin because he couldn't make it work.

Mapinstall doesn't ask (or offer me a chance) to select. It just asks if I want to load the ibycus maps. According to the garmin instructions, that's exactly what it's supposed to say.

Do you mean this?:

ad14f491-863d-4ba5-9b6f-4b8ee48da2f7.jpg

Edited by coggins

Mapinstall doesn't ask (or offer me a chance) to select. It just asks if I want to load the ibycus maps. According to the garmin instructions, that's exactly what it's supposed to say.

Do you mean this?:

Yes, that's what I get.

OK then, that is from MapManager not MapInstall. MapManager installs the maps into a place on your computer that BobCat and MapInstall will use, not to your GPS. MapInstall looks like this:

62f5dc2c-80ae-486c-880f-7cedec39b336.jpg

You need to use MapInstall to send the maps to your GPS. Plug your GPS into the computer, turn it on, then open MapInstall. Select "Ibycus USA 1.4" in the map pulldown on the upper left. Once open, you will need to select the map tiles you want to send, highlighting them by clicking on them:

15a91852-6556-4504-960d-d00a479a020f.jpg

Once you have all the tiles selected you want, click the 'Send Maps' button in the lower right.

Edited by coggins

Do you mean this?:

Yes, that's what I get.

OK then, that is from MapManager not MapInstall. MapManager installs the maps into a place on your computer that BobCat and MapInstall will use, not to you GPS. MapInstall looks like this:

62f5dc2c-80ae-486c-880f-7cedec39b336.jpg

You need to use MapInstall to send the maps to your GPS. Plug your GPS into the computer, turn it on, the open MapInstall. Select "Ibycus USA 1.4" in the map pulldown on the upper left. Once open, you will need to select the map tiles you want to send, highlighting them by clicking on them:

15a91852-6556-4504-960d-d00a479a020f.jpg

Once you have all the tiles selected you want, click the 'Send Maps' button in the lower right.

Okay! I want the whole US, but, when I use the beginning map, I keep getting more than will copy. Then, I can't figure out how to erase what I selected to choose a smaller segment. Can you tell me how to do that? Also, is there an easy way to figure out how much will load at one time?

Meanwhile, thanks VERY much! Karen

Finally go tit to work on the Mac! Turns out I was downloading a file marked topo instead of the city street maps. Dumb me. Still the topo maps were anything but, they were blank. but at least the city maos work great. Thanks so much for this. I love it! Look for a paypal hit soon.

Finally go tit to work on the Mac! Turns out I was downloading a file marked topo instead of the city street maps. Dumb me. Still the topo maps were anything but, they were blank. but at least the city maos work great. Thanks so much for this. I love it! Look for a paypal hit soon.

The topo maps are for Canada and only show basic county outline in the states for reference.

Isure that the map selection is correct. I live in King County and it has a check mark on it. Yes, there are islands in the county. Several in fact. As far as Lat/Long Im at 47.21.168/122.03.461

Hi, I can confirm that I know what the problem is, and am working on a fix. If you're impatient, and technically litterate, you can fix the problem yourself (you need to open the map files with GPS Map Edit, and delete the Map Coverage area entity type, and recompile it, afterwards you'll need to recompile the 'pv' file). I'd do it myself, but the fix needs to be applied to quite a few squares, and I'd like to get the problem actually fixed rather than applying a 'patchwork' fix to it.

Dale

Berta,

I will admit it was not so much my impatience but the challenge to see if I could fix the one county file. I have a 'fixed' version of King and Snoho counties you're welcome to use. Just save it to where you installed the Ibycus maps and overwrite the file with this one.

Here's my post from page 6:

"Well, I did some digging and found out why some of the counties in

Washington State don't work.

King = 20053033 (bunch of 'unknown' type polys, I selected all 'unknown'

and changed the type to 'Map Coverage Area', recompiled the maps and it seems to work now, I've

uploaded the modified version here

http://adrive.com/public/16f506df44d229c6e...8b7cb63486.html

)

Snohomish = 20053061 (again 'unknown' polys, modified version here

http://adrive.com/public/0b7a23e3e1f8c7f79...2433ba654.html)

Skagit = 20053057 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county are 'City Park' type... not sure how to fix

that one without loosing all of the other parks)

Whatcom = 20053073 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county is a 'Golf Course'.... again not sure how to fix that...)

If someone wants to use these 'modified' versions, simply copy my versions

into the C:\Program Files\IbycusUSA\imgs files after you have

extracted/installed the latest Ibycus13usa maps.

Thanks again Dale, hope the dog is getting better as well as your sleep. ;-)

Hope it helps,

Brian

Edited by lookn4somthn

Okay! I want the whole US, but, when I use the beginning map, I keep getting more than will copy. Then, I can't figure out how to erase what I selected to choose a smaller segment. Can you tell me how to do that? Also, is there an easy way to figure out how much will load at one time?

Click on a tile to select it, click on it again to unselect it. On the bottom of the page is a memory meter that will tell you have much memory you have used and have left. Keep it under 2025 tiles in any case.

Click on a tile to select it, click on it again to unselect it. On the bottom of the page is a memory meter that will tell you have much memory you have used and have left. Keep it under 2025 tiles in any case.

Hallelujah. I've downloaded Indiana and environs and Florida, as well as some of New England. Just one more question. Is there a simple way to keep track of what you've already downloaded? I have a hard time finding the state boundaries, so I can't just work state by state. If not, just ignore this question, as I can cope. It's fantastic to have the maps. Thanks again.

Karen

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I will be out of town for a bit, so I wont attempt this fix yet. Plus, its probably a bit more than I want to undertake. Im not in that big of hurry for the maps. its for my wifes 60CSx and I have the City Nav on mine. But, once Dale gets a good working copy of King County, Ill download the package again and install it.

Once again,

Thanks

Nick

Dale

I just downloaded the maps last nite and If it helps, I noticed, On the 60CSx, that you can see the roads in King county until you move the cursor across the county line, then it all goes away. I also noticed that in MapSource you can highlight the county as a square (70 mi) but not as an actual county (50 mi).

entity type? 'pv' file?... I've got some catching up to do.

1.4 seems to have fixed the hole that was Dallas County, TX.

I have noticed, and it may be in the source data, that different counties have different levels of detail at a given zoom level. I can't give specifics at the moment (at work, maps are at home), but some counties in TX show lots of small bodies of water at a particular zoom level, while a neighboring county won't show any until you zoom in more. It may not be just ponds & the like, it might be roads, too, but the water features is what sticks out in my memory. 'Cuz looking at the map elicits something like this: "Jeez! Look at all those little lakes!"

To get the maps to your GPS you just need to select the mapset from the dropdown list in the top left hand corner (should read Ibycus USA 1.4). Then select the area you're interested in, and finally hit the "Send to Device" button.

If you have any trouble, feel free to ask. (either here, or via e-mail).

Dale

so i figured out my own question incase anyone read it. but have noticed I can't add san francisco to my maps. is that coming soon? or won't ever be available? or is there some "special" way to highlight it?

thanks.

btw, this is great, if i can only figure it out.

Edited by moschika

Dale

Berta,

I will admit it was not so much my impatience but the challenge to see if I could fix the one county file. I have a 'fixed' version of King and Snoho counties you're welcome to use. Just save it to where you installed the Ibycus maps and overwrite the file with this one.

Here's my post from page 6:

"Well, I did some digging and found out why some of the counties in

Washington State don't work.

King = 20053033 (bunch of 'unknown' type polys, I selected all 'unknown'

and changed the type to 'Map Coverage Area', recompiled the maps and it seems to work now, I've

uploaded the modified version here

http://adrive.com/public/16f506df44d229c6e...8b7cb63486.html

)

Snohomish = 20053061 (again 'unknown' polys, modified version here

http://adrive.com/public/0b7a23e3e1f8c7f79...2433ba654.html)

Skagit = 20053057 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county are 'City Park' type... not sure how to fix

that one without loosing all of the other parks)

Whatcom = 20053073 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county is a 'Golf Course'.... again not sure how to fix that...)

If someone wants to use these 'modified' versions, simply copy my versions

into the C:\Program Files\IbycusUSA\imgs files after you have

extracted/installed the latest Ibycus13usa maps.

Thanks again Dale, hope the dog is getting better as well as your sleep. ;-)

Hope it helps,

Brian

Brian, the adrive links aren't working for me ... I just get "your download should start automatically.. if not click here" so I click here, and it says "You are trying to visit a page without visiting the download page first"

"An error has occured. Please Return to Download Page and try again. Thanks."

any ideas?

To get the maps to your GPS you just need to select the mapset from the dropdown list in the top left hand corner (should read Ibycus USA 1.4). Then select the area you're interested in, and finally hit the "Send to Device" button.

If you have any trouble, feel free to ask. (either here, or via e-mail).

Dale

so i figured out my own question incase anyone read it. but have noticed I can't add san francisco to my maps. is that coming soon? or won't ever be available? or is there some "special" way to highlight it?

thanks.

btw, this is great, if i can only figure it out.

See the post above this one. Its a known bug... I'm working on it, but if you're technically inclined you can fix it yourself without too much trouble.

Dale

so, uh, is something supposed to happen while i install? i just appoved it to install, and didnt get a progress bar, or anything..it took forever to initialize the install..dunno if this is normal..now i dont know what its doing, is there an install screen? i opened up mapsource, in case it was installing in the background..but no map info.

hey man, thanks, this thing is totally awesome. Guide me through Tyler State Park of PA no problem even though I am not familiar with the place. It help so much finding the shortest route to a geocache. And when I got lost, help me get back on a main road.

The file size is a bit big though, is there a way I could load it into my GPS with less detail? I only have internal 24 mb, lol.

Edited by Billwaa

hey man, thanks, this thing is totally awesome. Guide me through Tyler State Park of PA no problem even though I am not familiar with the place. It help so much finding the shortest route to a geocache. And when I got lost, help me get back on a main road.

The file size is a bit big though, is there a way I could load it into my GPS with less detail? I only have internal 24 mb, lol.

No easy way... You could always open the maps with GPSMapEdit, remove entities you don't want, lower the bit level of the levels etc and recompile. This would save space, but requires some technical know-how.

Dale

Recently downloaded and installed 1.4. First time I tried loading counties through MapSource for S. IL I got an 'unlock code' error on the GPS after installation. Went back, did the same thing again and it all loaded successfully. Well, the S. IL counties did. Didn't realize that would uninstall the S.E. MO counties I had previously installed. Can I take a page from the Stupid POI Tricks thread and rename a map, i.e. MOCounties..img and then load another?

Got smart and started marking ALL the counties that I wanted and periodically saving the file as something like TxFerGPS.gdb. That takes a long while to do . . . when you're on an older laptop with detail set to 'Highest'. That refresh rate, dontchaknow?. Got smart and changed detail to 'Lowest' to choose my counties, periodically saving, changed detail to 'Highest' and sent to my GPS.

So, is it possible to rename the gmapsupp.img file to something like 'semissouri.img' and load another to be renamed to something like, 'sillinois.img', etc.?

Clicking counties with a 'refresh' after each county selected ran really slow under MapSoursce's 'Highest' resolution and went much faster under 'Lowest' resolution, with a final change to 'Highest' after I was done. I'm guessing that still sent the 'Highest' resolution files to my GPS. If I send while viewing 'Lowest' in MapSource, is it sending low resolution files, or sending the entire compiled file?

Ibycus, thanks again for all your hard work. Even though I now have my Nuvi for driving navigation, I really like having maps on my handheld. My wallet REALLY likes the price! :blink:

Cache On!

JohnTee

I've been running these for about a week now on my vista hcx and all weekend on my motorcycle, pretty impressive maps, theres was a little inaccuracy, surprisingly the most of it(and the worst of it) was on the interstate system, but for the most part it all ran pretty true, even the old backroads

very impressive work man, add my name to the long list of "thank you's" :blink:

Recently downloaded and installed 1.4. First time I tried loading counties through MapSource for S. IL I got an 'unlock code' error on the GPS after installation. Went back, did the same thing again and it all loaded successfully. Well, the S. IL counties did. Didn't realize that would uninstall the S.E. MO counties I had previously installed. Can I take a page from the Stupid POI Tricks thread and rename a map, i.e. MOCounties..img and then load another?

There are a couple of accepted names for the files. (although I don't know if all are supported on all units). Other than gmapsupp, you can call it gmapbmap.img or gmapprom.img. You're probably better off to just load them all in one go though (select one set, change mapset, select the other set, *then* send to gps)

Got smart and started marking ALL the counties that I wanted and periodically saving the file as something like TxFerGPS.gdb. That takes a long while to do . . . when you're on an older laptop with detail set to 'Highest'. That refresh rate, dontchaknow?. Got smart and changed detail to 'Lowest' to choose my counties, periodically saving, changed detail to 'Highest' and sent to my GPS.

Try hitting CTRL-G to turn the detail on and off.

Clicking counties with a 'refresh' after each county selected ran really slow under MapSoursce's 'Highest' resolution and went much faster under 'Lowest' resolution, with a final change to 'Highest' after I was done. I'm guessing that still sent the 'Highest' resolution files to my GPS. If I send while viewing 'Lowest' in MapSource, is it sending low resolution files, or sending the entire compiled file?

The Highest/Lowest setting just impacts at what zoom level you see different things. There is a similar option on your GPS.

Dale

Dale, great work, thanks for the excellent maps!

I just downloaded and installed 1.4, with WI, IN, etc.

Door County in WI is missing data. Might be because it has islands and such, as I recall there being problems with islands out in NY or NJ.

N44 58.041 W87 21.282

Much of Northern Indiana is missing detail (compare the southern border of MI with the northern border of IN, the detail difference is apparent even at "15mi".

For example, St Joseph County is missing all but major highway street data, and no water data.

N41 38.266 W86 11.974

The counties south of it don't show up on the 20mi view, like most counties do.

Really minor,

In MN, at the intersection of "Beltline Expy" (Hwy 100) and W 70th St, there should be exits/entrances, they are missing from the map.

N44 52.579 W93 21.018

I agree with others on the amazing detail; it even has a little drainage pond in the neighborhood.

Where do you get the water detail from?

I checked some other map sources, and the MN intersection thing seems to be data related.

Not sure on the WI or IN missing detail.

Door County in WI is missing data. Might be because it has islands and such, as I recall there being problems with islands out in NY or NJ.

N44 58.041 W87 21.282

Much of Northern Indiana is missing detail (compare the southern border of MI with the northern border of IN, the detail difference is apparent even at "15mi".

For example, St Joseph County is missing all but major highway street data, and no water data.

N41 38.266 W86 11.974

Really minor,

In MN, at the intersection of "Beltline Expy" (Hwy 100) and W 70th St, there should be exits/entrances, they are missing from the map.

N44 52.579 W93 21.018

I agree with others on the amazing detail; it even has a little drainage pond in the neighborhood.

I checked some other map sources, and the MN intersection thing seems to be data related.

I've also seen some inconsistancies with the MN maps in the northern metro - roads missing, intersections not quite right - I assumed it was just a data thing, too, and not a map issue.

Just as a side note, I loaded a small section on an older eTrex Legend (old blue with 8meg). The maps work just fine but the processor is way to slow in the old Legend so it takes forever to draw the maps. Not really useful in that device. But it works great in all the eTrex color units I've tried them in - Venture Cx, Legend Cx, Vista C, Vista HCx.

Thanks a ton for the maps. They work great!

Sokratz

I just hope they don't get annoyed with me :(.

What are you using to download? I'm using wget which seems relatively reliable in most cases.

I just snagged the connecticut folder contents with FileZilla (Sourceforge.net) which allows resuming after even losing a connection.. Quite a powerful program, created opensource.

took roughly 4 minutes for 09_Connecticut via a 54MBS wireless link.

Stephen (gelfling6)

I just installed these maps on my Legend HCx a couple days ago, and I like it, so much nicer than looking at a blank screen with a track going through nothing. Wish it could auto-route, instead of me needing to set the entire course, but can't complain much for what it cost! Anyways, I tried plotting out a route and following it on my bicycle, and I couldn't hear the beeps anyways, so no big whoop. Anyways, thanks for these maps, that looks like a lot of time and work, and we really appreciate you sharing them for free, believe that!

N44 58.041 W87 21.282

N41 38.266 W86 11.974

Really minor,

N44 52.579 W93 21.018

I've also seen some inconsistancies with the MN maps in the northern metro - roads missing, intersections not quite right - I assumed it was just a data thing, too, and not a map issue.

Just as a side note, I loaded a small section on an older eTrex Legend (old blue with 8meg). The maps work just fine but the processor is way to slow in the old Legend so it takes forever to draw the maps. Not really useful in that device. But it works great in all the eTrex color units I've tried them in - Venture Cx, Legend Cx, Vista C, Vista HCx.

Thanks a ton for the maps. They work great!

Sokratz

Yet more information on my original post.

In the Door County area, it has lake detail at 1 mile and below, but it is gone above that. Also, across Green Bay (north-west), train tracks and such are displayed, but on the Door County side, none of the train tracks are displayed (at any resolution).

In the IN area, it seems mostly water detail that is missing (including the far southern part of Lake Michigan). At .2mi, most of the street detail shows up, so I was incorrect on that.