Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

From the map page.

Press Menu

Choose Setup Map

Toggle over to the map icon.

Press Menu again.

Choose "show Ibycus USA" or whatever is says that makes sense....

I tried this to no effect. I went ahead and reloaded the maps from MapSource and checked the settings like you said and voila! There they are. Thanks for the tech support!

I just downloaded IbycusUSA1.3. Thanks for all of your efforts.

I loaded it into Mapsource 6.13.7, it appears that all of the map segments are available to view on Mapsource, but there are no topo contour lines viewable on the Ibycus map.

It is not a Topo map. It is a street map.

Ah. Thanks for the info. I was thinking it was a topo

I've decided that eventually I will add topo, I haven't decided quite how yet, but I will add it eventually.

Dale

You should be aware that there is another effort going on for 24k US Topo maps by IndyJpr, Oz and others, using SRTM DEM data, NHD water data and other data sources. You might want to coordinate with them to minimize duplication of effort.

You should be aware that there is another effort going on for 24k US Topo maps by IndyJpr, Oz and others, using SRTM DEM data, NHD water data and other data sources. You might want to coordinate with them to minimize duplication of effort.

IndyJpr, Oz, and other are using USGS 1/3 arc second (10meter) DEM's to create their contours - that is about 470 Mbytes of data points per one degree of area. Contours in non-metro areas can increase files sizes by 4 or 5 times.

Yep. I know. Right now, I'm in fairly early stages, but I expect that once I get going, I should be able to process large tracts of data very quickly, which means that coordinating efforts is possibly more work than its worth (i.e. the time saved by not processing what they have already processed is more than taken up by the overhead coordinating efforts.).

Right now, I'm working alphabetically on the data download.

Dale

IndyJpr, Oz, and other are using USGS 1/3 arc second (10meter) DEM's to create their contours - that is about 470 Mbytes of data points per one degree of area. Contours in non-metro areas can increase files sizes by 4 or 5 times.

This is why I'm not totally sure how I intend to add the data. I might do it as a seperate dataset, but I might also integrate it in to the existing dataset. There does seem to be a lot of demand for it though, which is why I intend to proceed.

Yep. I know. Right now, I'm in fairly early stages, but I expect that once I get going, I should be able to process large tracts of data very quickly, which means that coordinating efforts is possibly more work than its worth (i.e. the time saved by not processing what they have already processed is more than taken up by the overhead coordinating efforts.).

Any way to distribute the processing effort? I know you mentioned a while back that your programs weren't ready for prime time. If there was an program, or a sequence of steps, that could be performed against a data download, I'd be glad to download a big chunk, process it, and then get it to you. I'm pretty sure you'd have others here willing to give you some CPU cycles as well.

Any way to distribute the processing effort? I know you mentioned a while back that your programs weren't ready for prime time. If there was an program, or a sequence of steps, that could be performed against a data download, I'd be glad to download a big chunk, process it, and then get it to you. I'm pretty sure you'd have others here willing to give you some CPU cycles as well.

I'll see what I can do about polishing up the download process. Right now, it sticks periodically, and I have to kick it a few times to get it going again. (and kicking it involves coming out in to my code, and then back in again). If I can get that cleaned up, then there may be something people could do to help.

Dale

Zoinks! I hadn't yet done more than run the installer on the files. I just pulled up your map in Mapsource to see how a lake boundary near my house looks, and noticed a big blank spot where Dallas County, TX is supposed to be! Center of the county is approximately 32deg 45min N, 96deg 46min west.

p.s. - looked around my home town, and your map has a LOT more detail than City Nav NT 2008 when it comes to ponds & smaller lakes.

Edited by JSWilson64

Apologies if I've missed it... would it be possible to combine the county sized map sections into larger sections? I hit the limit of number of sections long before getting to the memory card size limit.

My plan is to re-split the whole country in to square areas, rather than counties. At which time, this should be easier to do.

These maps look terriffic. Is there a step-by-step process for doing the download, written for

low-tech newbies? Thanks so much, this looks like an amazing project.

Do you mean so you can make maps for states not covered? If so, no there isn't and the way Ibycus does it is rather clever. I am working on a tutorial but the way I thought I'd be able to do it didn't work.

Dale,

Thank You! I have only had a chance to play around a little bit but Idaho is spot on perfect! I live in a sorta rural area and even many of the drive ways in the area show up. Great work. java script:emoticon(':anibad:',%20'smid_4') See that you are thinking about topo and I am sure you will come up with more great data for all of us. Thanks again.

Currently uploading version 1.4. Hopefully it will be done by the morning (although I'm getting lots of 'connection aborts' so it might be longer....

When its finished uploading, you should able to access it at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa .

This version includes nearly complete coverage of the United States. There are still a couple of counties missing, but not many (mostly ones with accented characters in their names...I have 3200 counties out of 3219)

Total file size is ~1.01GB. The MD5 sum is f47bd24a078b5a93d71426c8198ae6c4.

Dale

Upload crashed some time overnight and didn't restart. I've started it going again. So far it has about 400MB done. It should be finished in about 4.5 hours if all goes well.

Dale

Can you post a list with the states that are in version 1.4?

I updated the link on GPSFileDepot and added your Canada maps (got the international side working).

Also, if you need a mirror just let me know. I have the bandwidth.

Upload crashed some time overnight and didn't restart. I've started it going again. So far it has about 400MB done. It should be finished in about 4.5 hours if all goes well.

Dale

I updated the link on GPSFileDepot and added your Canada maps (got the international side working).

Included are

ALABAMA

ALASKA

ARIZONA

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

COLORADO

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

DISTRICT_OF_COLUMBIA

FLORIDA

GEORGIA

HAWAII

IDAHO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

IOWA

KANSAS

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

MASSACHUSETTS

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEW_HAMPSHIRE

NEW_JERSEY

NEW_MEXICO

NEW_YORK

NORTH_CAROLINA

NORTH_DAKOTA

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

RHODE_ISLAND

SOUTH_CAROLINA

SOUTH_DAKOTA

TENNESSEE

TEXAS

UTAH

VERMONT

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON

WEST_VIRGINIA

WISCONSIN

WYOMING

PUERTO_RICO (missing a few counties)

Not included are

AMERICAN_SAMOA

GUAM

COMMONWEALTH_OF_THE_NORTHERN_MARIANA_ISLANDS

VIRGIN_ISLANDS_OF_THE_UNITED_STATES

Dale

Included are

ALABAMA

ALASKA

ARIZONA

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

COLORADO

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

DISTRICT_OF_COLUMBIA

FLORIDA

GEORGIA

HAWAII

IDAHO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

IOWA

KANSAS

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

MASSACHUSETTS

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEW_HAMPSHIRE

NEW_JERSEY

NEW_MEXICO

NEW_YORK

NORTH_CAROLINA

NORTH_DAKOTA

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

RHODE_ISLAND

SOUTH_CAROLINA

SOUTH_DAKOTA

TENNESSEE

TEXAS

UTAH

VERMONT

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON

WEST_VIRGINIA

WISCONSIN

WYOMING

Not included are

AMERICAN_SAMOA

GUAM

How are the uploads? Hopefully it didn't crash again and we have to wait till Sunday to get the files. :rolleyes:

Dale

Included are

ALABAMA

ALASKA

ARIZONA

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

COLORADO

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

DISTRICT_OF_COLUMBIA

FLORIDA

GEORGIA

HAWAII

IDAHO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

IOWA

KANSAS

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

MASSACHUSETTS

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEW_HAMPSHIRE

NEW_JERSEY

NEW_MEXICO

NEW_YORK

NORTH_CAROLINA

NORTH_DAKOTA

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

RHODE_ISLAND

SOUTH_CAROLINA

SOUTH_DAKOTA

TENNESSEE

TEXAS

UTAH

VERMONT

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON

WEST_VIRGINIA

WISCONSIN

WYOMING

Not included are

AMERICAN_SAMOA

GUAM

How are the uploads? Hopefully it didn't crash again and we have to wait till Sunday to get the files. :rolleyes:

Hi could you tell me how to upload some of the states like wisconsin and kentucky i have a 60csx and not very computer knowlegable

Hi could you tell me how to upload some of the states like wisconsin and kentucky i have a 60csx and not very computer knowlegable

You'll have to download the whole thing, as I haven't made it available on a state by state basis. You'll also have to wait until my upload is finished (currently 904MB), before you can download it (unless you want the old version).

Don't worry though. Its not too tough. Just download and run the installer. The maps integrate themselves in to Mapsource (there should have been a CD that came with your GPS called "Trip and Waypoint Manager).

To get the maps to your GPS you just need to select the mapset from the dropdown list in the top left hand corner (should read Ibycus USA 1.4). Then select the area you're interested in, and finally hit the "Send to Device" button.

If you have any trouble, feel free to ask. (either here, or via e-mail).

Dale

Will this work on a Mac? Also, I went to Garmin Training Center, and it seems to be a fitness program. Is that right? Thanks!

I'm currently uploading my map of Alabama. By the time you read this, it should be uploaded.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA.exe

For those of you without an existing mapsource product (including Trip and Waypoint Manager, which comes with many GPSrs), follow the instructions below to get a copy (I've spoken with a Garmin Employee, and they confirmed that this does not in fact violate their license agreement).

Step 1:

Download and Install "Garmin Training Center"

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-04

Step 2:

Download and Install the latest Mapsource Update

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

This will give you a working mapsource install with a basic world basemap (very low detail)

Step 3:

Download and install my mapset

Will this work on a Mac? Also, I went to Garmin Training Center, and it seems to be a fitness program. Is that right? Thanks!

I'm currently uploading my map of Alabama. By the time you read this, it should be uploaded.

For those of you without an existing mapsource product (including Trip and Waypoint Manager, which comes with many GPSrs), follow the instructions below to get a copy (I've spoken with a Garmin Employee, and they confirmed that this does not in fact violate their license agreement).

Step 1:

Download and Install "Garmin Training Center"

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-04

Step 2:

Download and Install the latest Mapsource Update

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

This will give you a working mapsource install with a basic world basemap (very low detail)

Step 3:

Download and install my mapset

Yes, it starts out that way, but will give you mapsource without the detailed maps (after updates) with which you can then load these maps into.

Edit to add: Not sure about the MAC part.

Edited by O-Mega

To use on a Mac, you'll have to download and install using Parallels, and then convert using Garmin's conversion program, and finally load up the created file to your Mac install.

I'd offer to upload a mac version, but with the way my connection has been going, I'm not sure it would ever get there (if someone wants to offer to upload a mac version to my account online, I can generate you an FTP account)

If I get parallels, can't I just use the trip and waypoint manager on parallels?

Meanwhile, you rock! You are really doing all of us a great service, and you are very dedicated. Thanks again, very much.

To use on a Mac, you'll have to download and install using Parallels, and then convert using Garmin's conversion program, and finally load up the created file to your Mac install.

I'd offer to upload a mac version, but with the way my connection has been going, I'm not sure it would ever get there (if someone wants to offer to upload a mac version to my account online, I can generate you an FTP account)

If I get parallels, can't I just use the trip and waypoint manager on parallels?

Meanwhile, you rock! You are really doing all of us a great service, and you are very dedicated. Thanks again, very much.

You could do that. I assumed though that you wanted to load it exclusively on the Mac side.

Dale

I just bought the eTrex Legend HCx and, never having owned or used any GPS, where do I start?

I managed to turn it on and set up my home waypoint, but that's it.

After reading all the praises of your maps, I'd like to use those for Florida. Do I need to download the Trips and Waypoint Manager that came with the unit first? Do I need a microSD card to download yours? Do I plug in the USB to the unit and download your file direct or do I save your file to my computer first? Will the entire 864MB file fit or do I only load Florida? If there's anything else I need to know, your guidance would be appreciated.

A step by step would be most helpful please.

Do I need to download the Trips and Waypoint Manager that came with the unit first?

Yes, you should install "Trip and Waypoint Manager" first

Do I need a microSD card to download yours?

Yes. The legend HCx has no built in memory, so you'll need some kind of microSD card to load any kind of mapping

Do I plug in the USB to the unit and download your file direct or do I save your file to my computer first?

Save to your computer, run the installer, and then open up "Trip and Waypoint Manager". Then select the maps you want to load within Trip and Waypoint Manager (to activate the map select tool, hit 'm'), lastly hit the "Send to Device" button.

Will the entire 864MB file fit or do I only load Florida? If there's anything else I need to know, your guidance would be appreciated.

Depending on the size of the card you buy, the whole thing may or may not fit sizewise. That being said, you won't be able to load them all at once anyways without a great deal of effort (most Garmin GPS have a limit of 2025 map sheets that can be loaded at the same time), so I'd just load the area you're intersted in. All of Florida is just less than 60MB.

A step by step would be most helpful please.

Let me know where you get stuck and I'd be more than happy to help.

Dale

Sorry. I didn't know what parallels was until you mentioned it and I looked it up. But it sounds from Dan's post below as though he may be making a Mac version for you. Should I just wait for that?

Thanks yet again.

You could do that. I assumed though that you wanted to load it exclusively on the Mac side.

Dale

Sorry. I didn't know what parallels was until you mentioned it and I looked it up. But it sounds from Dan's post below as though he may be making a Mac version for you. Should I just wait for that?

I just uploaded it, Dale will move it to a good location and then release its URL. So your wait should be ending soon :)

Apologies if I've missed it... would it be possible to combine the county sized map sections into larger sections? I hit the limit of number of sections long before getting to the memory card size limit.

My plan is to re-split the whole country in to square areas, rather than counties. At which time, this should be easier to do.

:)

That sounds great... it looks like the entire US would fit on a 2gb card if it wasn't for the segment limits.

Thanks for the update, I'm downloading now and hopefully we can get another torrent running for it.

My Man Dan! thanks very much. Will I still need to create a version of trip and waypoint manager? :)

I just uploaded it, Dale will move it to a good location and then release its URL. So your wait should be ending soon :)

Dale and Dan,

I can't download the Mac file. If I try "open with Stuffit," first, it quits early on and says that there's a download error and that I should try another site (I'm using desktop, which has worked for everything else I've downloaded), and, if I try plain download first, it gives me the same message after spending about 3 hours saying it's downloading. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Karen

Sorry about the delay. My internet connection has been down. Pretty sure my ISP has decided that they don't like my router. Anyways, the download URL for the MAC version is http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA14.tgz

You shouldn't need Trip and Waypoint Manager installed to use it.

Dale

Dale and Dan,

I can't download the Mac file. If I try "open with Stuffit," first, it quits early on and says that there's a download error and that I should try another site (I'm using desktop, which has worked for everything else I've downloaded), and, if I try plain download first, it gives me the same message after spending about 3 hours saying it's downloading. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Karen

Sent you a PM.

Dale and Dan,

Thanks, Karen

Sent you a PM.

Still didn't work. I sent you a PM w/ more details.

Is there any way to download individual states? I've attempted several times to download the newest USA version but the fastest connection available to my PC, a cable modem, times out before the entire 1 GB can download. I've gotten New Mexico from the older version, and Colorado from another source, but still need Texas for our upcoming summer trip. Any suggestions? :)

Is there any way to download individual states? I've attempted several times to download the newest USA version but the fastest connection available to my PC, a cable modem, times out before the entire 1 GB can download. I've gotten New Mexico from the older version, and Colorado from another source, but still need Texas for our upcoming summer trip. Any suggestions? :)

At the moment... no there is no way. What are you downloading with? I find firefox generally works better than IE for connections that go up and down a bit.

Dale, great work, thanks for the excellent maps!

I just downloaded and installed 1.4, with WI, IN, etc.

Door County in WI is missing data. Might be because it has islands and such, as I recall there being problems with islands out in NY or NJ.

N44 58.041 W87 21.282

Much of Northern Indiana is missing detail (compare the southern border of MI with the northern border of IN, the detail difference is apparent even at "15mi".

For example, St Joseph County is missing all but major highway street data, and no water data.

N41 38.266 W86 11.974

The counties south of it don't show up on the 20mi view, like most counties do.

Really minor,

In MN, at the intersection of "Beltline Expy" (Hwy 100) and W 70th St, there should be exits/entrances, they are missing from the map.

N44 52.579 W93 21.018

I agree with others on the amazing detail; it even has a little drainage pond in the neighborhood.

Where do you get the water detail from?

I'm going a bit nuts. I've downloaded the MAC version of the maps, and opened them in Bobcat (garmin's beta waypoint software) It see the country, state and county borders, but nothing else. No roads, water or anything. It seems there is an option of the PC waypoint software to tunr detail on and off, but not so in Bobcat (even called tech support).

Has anyone got these map working via a mac (not using a PC emulator on a mac). If so, what software did you use and how?