Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

having an error after trying to download :

ibycus13.exe.part could not be saved because the source file could not be read.

Hmmmm, I'd try redownloading (and saving to the same location). It look like you've only got part of the file.

Dale

I had no trouble installing either, once I got a whole file - my first download quit for some reason. I installed under Windows XP, then used Garmin's converter to convert the mapset to Mac format. This converted file worked well with Garmin's Mapmanager and Mapinstall on my Macbook. I've installed the Maine map tiles on my GPSMAP 60, and will report back later. Everything seemed to work great at first glance.

Thanks again for taking the time to make these maps available.

Ken

Hmmmm, I'd try redownloading (and saving to the same location). It look like you've only got part of the file.

Dale

same results 3 times. its a looooong d/l . i am trying in IE instead of mozilla currently

UPDATED>>>

Dale,

Map downloaded and installed perfectly. Very very nice!!

I did notice a few things with Washington state. No rush in fixing them... just minor things.

~when zoomed in 50mi or lower (when I can see the streets and such) I'm unable to click on King, Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom counties.

WAStreetView.jpg

~somewhat related, if I zoom out to 70mi. I can then click on the counties to select them for upload.

WACounties_9.jpg

So far the accuracy is great!!!

Thanks Again,

Brian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE: I was able to select and upload the counties in question above at the 70mi. zoom, however, those counties are blank on the GPS. Suspect the same would occur for snohomish, skagit, and whatcom counties....

PS. Hope your dog is doing well!!!

Edited by lookn4somthn

Awsome work Dale!! I guess I'll be the lone chime in for a request for Indiana. Shouldn't take long to do, all we have here is racing and basketball and flat land! Thanks again for all the hard work on this!!

Edited by VG19

Installed last night with no problems, the detail is much better than my older official Garmin product. I did notice a weird glitch though;

When doing routes and having your map active, all the waypoints show up as waypoints on the waypoint list instead of only showing up in the route. When I do it when another map is active, say topo, the routes create normally and no waypoints get created on the waypoint list and the waypoints don't take up valuable space on my 60csx.

So there is a workaround, but it took me some time to figure out and I thought someone else may come accross this and would save them some time by posting this.

v/r

O-Mega

Dale

same results 3 times. its a looooong d/l . i am trying in IE instead of mozilla currently

If you can, try using a download manager that will monitor the download and allow you to resume a failed download. I used the windows version of wget, which is a command line program that works really well. I got it here.

Ken

dale i want to say thank you very very much.The illinois file is right on the money.Very good detail and much better then our paper maps we have at work.I am curious though can i edit the ALL POINT OF INTEREST file on my handheld through poi loader(which i use for my custom poi file) and how can i edit the geographic file on my gps?

Dog just came out of surgery (torn cruciate), and he needs all my time so I'm not going to be doing much on this for the next couple of weeks.

Dale

Take care of that pooch, they take of us so its only fair. We can wait, hope he gets to feeling better soon.

I will add another thank you for your work on this project. I'm a Michigan resident so I have been enjoying version 1.2. I'll do a reinstall when Wisconsin is added.

I installed on a Windoze machine at work, then converted to Mac and have had no problems. Maps are installed on my 60Cx and work wonderfully. Also installed on my backup 60C. They work there as well, but redraws are painfully slow. It's certainly better than just having the basemap on that unit though.

Thanks again for your work on this project! And best wishes for your dog.

Edited by andylphoto

Dog just came out of surgery (torn cruciate), and he needs all my time so I'm not going to be doing much on this for the next couple of weeks.

So did he have a TPLO? Sucks to be him. 16 weeks of on leash walking. There goes the whole summer for him. We went through this two years ago.

So did he have a TPLO? Sucks to be him. 16 weeks of on leash walking. There goes the whole summer for him. We went through this two years ago.

Thought about TPLO, but we went for the 'traditional' repair (where they put the nylon cord in). He's borderline on the weight that they'll do it for (the vet I go to will do it up to ~80 lbs... he's ~75lbs).

Right now he's not overly mobile. Up all last night crying, trying to get comfortable while the pain meds wore off. My arms are awfully sore from carrying him up and down the stairs. He's starting the try to stand on his own, but I'm a little reluctant to let him.

Dale

UPDATED>>>

Dale,

I did notice a few things with Washington state. No rush in fixing them... just minor things.

~when zoomed in 50mi or lower (when I can see the streets and such) I'm unable to click on King, Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom counties.

~somewhat related, if I zoom out to 70mi. I can then click on the counties to select them for upload.

Thanks Again,

Brian

UPDATE: I was able to select and upload the counties in question above at the 70mi. zoom, however, those counties are blank on the GPS. Suspect the same would occur for snohomish, skagit, and whatcom counties....

UPDATED>>>

Dale,

I did notice a few things with Washington state. No rush in fixing them...

just minor things.

~when zoomed in 50mi or lower (when I can see the streets and such) I'm

unable to click on King, Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom counties.

~somewhat related, if I zoom out to 70mi. I can then click on the counties

to select them for upload.

Thanks Again,

Brian

UPDATE: I was able to select and upload the counties in question above at

the 70mi. zoom, however, those counties are blank on the GPS. Suspect the

same would occur for snohomish, skagit, and whatcom counties....

Well, I did some digging and found out why some of the counties in

Washington State don't work.

King = 20053033 (bunch of 'unknown' type polys, I selected all 'unknown'

and changed the type to 'Map Coverage Area' and it seems to work now, I've

uploaded the modified version that seems to work

http://adrive.com/public/16f506df44d229c6e...8b7cb63486.html

)

Snohomish = 20053061 ('unknown' polys, modified version

http://adrive.com/public/0b7a23e3e1f8c7f79...2433ba654.html)

Skagit = 20053057 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county are 'City Park' type... not sure how to fix

that one without loosing all of the other parks)

Whatcom = 20053073 (all of 'Map Coverage Area' polys in the county is a 'Golf Course'.... again not sure how to fix that...)

If someone wants to use these 'modified' versions, simply copy my versions

into the C:\Program Files\IbycusUSA\imgs files after you have

extracted/installed the latest Ibycus13usa maps.

I'm no expert and I'm sure Dale will make a 'real fix' but in the mean

time at least these counties are usable for WA folks. ;-)

Hope it helps!!

Keep Cach'n...

Thought about TPLO, but we went for the 'traditional' repair (where they put the nylon cord in). He's borderline on the weight that they'll do it for (the vet I go to will do it up to ~80 lbs... he's ~75lbs).

Right now he's not overly mobile. Up all last night crying, trying to get comfortable while the pain meds wore off. My arms are awfully sore from carrying him up and down the stairs. He's starting the try to stand on his own, but I'm a little reluctant to let him.

Dale

Dale........ you take care of that K9 friend and don't fret about this wonderful project you are doing.

We had a dog in for that repair 5 years ago and he never recovered from the anesthesia. His loss still hurts to this day ! So be thankful you have him and LOVE HIM GOOD.

<Given the above, how useful would this data be to people? If there is no demand, I likely won't go too far with it. I've got Alabama done, and I've downloaded a few more states (a state takes me a couple of hours to fully process start to finish).>

This is a fantastic endeavor you are undertaking. I have a problem though. I run Linux. I have installed your IbycusUSA.exe under "wine" but cannot get my Garmin Venture HC to be detected. So, I had a 1.6 Gig hard drive laying around (from the old days) and installed XP on it. After removing all programs, including IE and Outlook, I could only come up with 280 Megs of free space. I live in Oregon and would like to know if you are planning to do my state. Also, I would like to know if you are taking donations for the bandwidth of your help desk on your web site to kind of show our appreciation for the time-consuming task you are undertaking.

A job well done is an understatement.

Edited by hogtied

<Given the above, how useful would this data be to people? If there is no demand, I likely won't go too far with it. I've got Alabama done, and I've downloaded a few more states (a state takes me a couple of hours to fully process start to finish).>

This is a fantastic endeavor you are undertaking. I have a problem though. I run Linux. I have installed your IbycusUSA.exe under "wine" but cannot get my Garmin Venture HC to be detected. So, I had a 1.6 Gig hard drive laying around (from the old days) and installed XP on it. After removing all programs, including IE and Outlook, I could only come up with 280 Megs of free space. I live in Oregon and would like to know if you are planning to do my state. Also, I would like to know if you are taking donations for the bandwidth of your help desk on your web site to kind of show our appreciation for the time-consuming task you are undertaking.

A job well done is an understatement.

Could you run IbycusUSA under wine, use that to get all the IMG files, and then load them to the GPS using what ever the Linux program is? (I think SendMap http://www.cgpsmapper.com works on Linux, but I'm pretty sure there is another program out there that will work...if you need a list of IMG file vs. county name, let me know, and I'll see about generating it for you).

Eventually, I plan on doing the whole country and uploading it as an ISO file that you could mount/burn under linux, but I've been pretty busy trying to keep the dog quiet after his surgery.

Thought I'd quote this post... Below are all of the states in the current version.

ALABAMA

ALASKA

ARIZONA

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

COLORADO

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

DISTRICT_OF_COLUMBIA

FLORIDA (Partial)

IDAHO

ILLINOIS

KANSAS

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

MASSACHUSETTS

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEW_HAMPSHIRE

NEW_JERSEY

NEW_MEXICO

NEW_YORK

NORTH_CAROLINA

NORTH_DAKOTA

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

RHODE_ISLAND

SOUTH_CAROLINA

SOUTH_DAKOTA

TENNESSEE

TEXAS

UTAH

VERMONT

WASHINGTON

WYOMING

Wow - great effort getting the US maps off the ground. I got pointed to this thread a New Zealand project that does similar (our maps are already auto-routing - you've got that to look forward to at some point).

I wanted to just pop up a couple of ideas for those that are doing the hard work behind the scenes building these maps.

If you can, look at using OpenStreetMap as your repository. As a previous poster mentioned, they have imported TIGER data already (although it may not be 2008 yet, I imagine they'll update it soon). OSM also has excellent processes and tools for people to update the raw map data by uploading GPX tracklogs, and improving the data themselves. This will provide you with a massive infrastructure for sharing the maintenance of the map data. Also, OSM is improving tools for producing Garmin map files, from OSM data.

I think over time that OSM is going to become a natural worldwide repository for mapping data.

Cheers Gav

Eventually I will. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. (I've got one going for my Topo Maps, just not my USA maps yet).

The 'changed' download does tend to be slower on a per byte basis though than the full version. (possibly due to the handling of the multiple files, or the fact that the data is uncompressed).

Eventually I will. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. (I've got one going for my Topo Maps, just not my USA maps yet).

The 'changed' download does tend to be slower on a per byte basis though than the full version. (possibly due to the handling of the multiple files, or the fact that the data is uncompressed).

The changed file should be compressed just like the full package except that it contains only the new files. You can even make an executable that overwrites the old files and make any other changes that are required, it should download much faster than the full package at the same connection speed.

Wow - great effort getting the US maps off the ground. I got pointed to this thread a New Zealand project that does similar (our maps are already auto-routing - you've got that to look forward to at some point).

I wanted to just pop up a couple of ideas for those that are doing the hard work behind the scenes building these maps.

If you can, look at using OpenStreetMap as your repository. As a previous poster mentioned, they have imported TIGER data already (although it may not be 2008 yet, I imagine they'll update it soon). OSM also has excellent processes and tools for people to update the raw map data by uploading GPX tracklogs, and improving the data themselves. This will provide you with a massive infrastructure for sharing the maintenance of the map data. Also, OSM is improving tools for producing Garmin map files, from OSM data.

I think over time that OSM is going to become a natural worldwide repository for mapping data.

Cheers Gav

Have the New Zealand maps been imported into OSM yet? Because just this week I updated a utility to transform routable Polish Format maps into OSM format. (here)

My goal is to be able to go the other way--transform OpenStreetMap data into routable Garmin maps. I have plans, but little time.

Thought I'd quote this post... Below are all of the states in the current version.

MASSACHUSETTS

Is Massachusetts in the latest version ? I've downloaded it and although I see data from the other New England states, nothing shows up for Mass.

You should be recieving a package any day now.

I hope it helps out towards what you requested.

I do not have alot of finaces but I do have geocoins.

Now remember to name one after your buddy and I hope he is doing well.

I also sent a note and you can send a message through my profile here.

I will download the last version as soon as I get time.

I did go out and use the maps and got 25 geocaches and several waymarks.

I even added a few with just the details from my GPS.

Again thanks for your efforts and work.

The Arkansas, Benton County problem is the same one that has been posted about other counties.

At 70 Miles they can be checked but upon zooming in they will not.

I found that with the added data, GPS Maps....I had 6 Counties though it ran a little slower than usual but that is = to the data I now have at hand.

So it is a good compromise.

The changed file should be compressed just like the full package except that it contains only the new files. You can even make an executable that overwrites the old files and make any other changes that are required, it should download much faster than the full package at the same connection speed.

The problem then being that I have to release a new change file for each version, and a seperate change file for each old revision for each new revision. In other words, now if I were to release a change file, I'd have to release not only a change file for this version from the previous version, but also 2 other versions for each of the older revisions.

I could just release a change file relative to the previous released version, but then people who had fallen behind would have to progress one at a time through each of the version, and I have to do version checking on the installed version, else risk corrupting the Mapsource install.

The simple solution is to check the installed files vs. the latest online version, and then add/update any missing ones. As I haven't quite mastered compressing and uncompressing files in code, this means that the files will remain uncompressed.

Oh, if anyone would like to take on the job of version tracking, and managing updates as proposed by O-Mega, feel free. Its not something I plan on attacking any time soon. I only ask that you acknowledge the source of the files. I'll gladly provide any assistance I can as far as how the update has to go in order for it to work.

Dale

The problem then being that I have to release a new change file for each version, and a separate change file for each old revision for each new revision. In other words, now if I were to release a change file, I'd have to release not only a change file for this version from the previous version, but also 2 other versions for each of the older revisions.

I could just release a change file relative to the previous released version, but then people who had fallen behind would have to progress one at a time through each of the version, and I have to do version checking on the installed version, else risk corrupting the Mapsource install.

The simple solution is to check the installed files vs. the latest online version, and then add/update any missing ones. As I haven't quite mastered compressing and uncompressing files in code, this means that the files will remain uncompressed.

Oh, if anyone would like to take on the job of version tracking, and managing updates as proposed by O-Mega, feel free. Its not something I plan on attacking any time soon. I only ask that you acknowledge the source of the files. I'll gladly provide any assistance I can as far as how the update has to go in order for it to work.

Dale

I may of overstated the problem I guess, I figured using IbycusUSA13.exe as the base download, then making one change file including any updates, then add files to the update file each time an update is needed until it gets too big to make a noticeable difference then make another base file. So the change file should only have to check against IbycusUSA13.exe and make appropriate changes. Am I oversimplifying it? I guess I haven't asked if anything is done to the registry after the initial registration of the new mapset, is anything else done besides replacing files?

I selected the local area img files and loaded them on my Map60csx, but they don't show up. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes.... yes you are :lol:

I suppose you'd like to know what. :blink: , My first guess is that you have another map on over top of these ones. You can only display one non-transparent map at a time, even though you can load at many as you want. Beyond that, I'm going to need some more details as far as step by step what you've done to get them on your GPS.

Do they show up in the list of loaded maps in your GPS?

I may of overstated the problem I guess, I figured using IbycusUSA13.exe as the base download, then making one change file including any updates, then add files to the update file each time an update is needed until it gets too big to make a noticeable difference then make another base file. So the change file should only have to check against IbycusUSA13.exe and make appropriate changes. Am I oversimplifying it? I guess I haven't asked if anything is done to the registry after the initial registration of the new mapset, is anything else done besides replacing files?

Could do it that way, but the advantages of doing it that way relative to what I have in place for my topo maps is minimal, and in some cases my solution is more efficient, so I think I'll head in that direction (basically check installed file list against the latest installed list, and then download any missing files and an updated index).

If you'd like to maintain an update file as you're suggesting, I can provide you with some webspace to put it on, its just not high on my priorities list.

Dale

I selected the local area img files and loaded them on my Map60csx, but they don't show up. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes.... yes you are :ph34r:

I suppose you'd like to know what. :) , My first guess is that you have another map on over top of these ones. You can only display one non-transparent map at a time, even though you can load at many as you want. Beyond that, I'm going to need some more details as far as step by step what you've done to get them on your GPS.

Do they show up in the list of loaded maps in your GPS?

Your map is the only one loaded in addition to the base map. It appears on the list of maps (it's the only one) with a check mark next to it. I originally loaded the big file into MapSource, selected the areas near home (Louisiana) and loaded them to the device. All I see on the Garmin is the base map. Do I need to do something to the device to activate your map or deactivate the base map? Thanks again for a great project! I hope finals went well...

I just downloaded IbycusUSA1.3. Thanks for all of your efforts.

I loaded it into Mapsource 6.13.7, it appears that all of the map segments are available to view on Mapsource, but there are no topo contour lines viewable on the Ibycus map.

I figure I must be doing something wrong, but I'm just not sure exactly what!

Any suggestions?

I loaded it into Mapsource 6.13.7, it appears that all of the map segments are available to view on Mapsource, but there are no topo contour lines viewable on the Ibycus map.

It is not a Topo map. It is a street map.

Ah. Thanks for the info. I was thinking it was a topo

Ah. Thanks for the info. I was thinking it was a topo

I've decided that eventually I will add topo, I haven't decided quite how yet, but I will add it eventually.

Dale