Free Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Ohio *should* be in the next release (assuming my compile last night went OK)

will this fit on an old etrex legend with only 8mb of memory?

The whole state? No. Nearby counties? Yes. The whole state is 34.9MB. This covers 82 counties, so you should be able to fit (roughly) 20 counties on your GPS.

Dale

Ok,

I ran that md5 fille on the installer and it has a green circle on the left. but when I try to install it the installer can not be verified. Well I will be deployed on a ship here in a few days so I will not be using my GPs for a few months. THanks for all your help.

Larry

Is Washington on the 'to do' list?

Thanks

Somehow Washington managed to get missed when I did my massive 'update'. Fortunately you mentioned it just in time for me to include it in the next update.

I'm currently unzipped the source data. I'll get it processing before I go to bed tonight.

... unizip just finished as I was typing.

Awesome project. I'm glad I found it. I'm DLing the maps now and I'll try them tomorrow - assuming my 2Gig microSD cards get here tomorrow. Otherwise I have to try pieces on 128meg card.

Thanks a ton for doing this. It helps a bunch!! I'm one happy camper. :D

Can anyone give me some advice? I downloaded the Mac version and installed it. However in Bobcat, I don't see anything below outlines of counties. I have gone from state-to-state to make sure I have looked at the states that show being done. I found a little more detail in one area of Ontario and that was it!

Also, how do I push these maps from Bobcat to my Colorado?

Thanks in advance, Jeff.

ALABAMA

ARIZONA

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

KANSAS

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEW_HAMPSHIRE

NEW_JERSEY

NEW_MEXICO

NEW_YORK

NORTH_CAROLINA

NORTH_DAKOTA

OHIO

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

SOUTH_CAROLINA

UTAH

WYOMING

Utah is on the list but in the version I just downloaded Utah is blank. I checked that one 'cause I'm going out there in a few weeks and it would be nice to have maps as I'm searching for a few caches.

Sokratz

Utah is on the list but in the version I just downloaded Utah is blank. I checked that one 'cause I'm going out there in a few weeks and it would be nice to have maps as I'm searching for a few caches.

I think he's working on a major update - you may have caught it between versions. Just a guess...

Plus, isn't Utah blank anyway? :D

Can anyone give me some advice? I downloaded the Mac version and installed it. However in Bobcat, I don't see anything below outlines of counties. I have gone from state-to-state to make sure I have looked at the states that show being done. I found a little more detail in one area of Ontario and that was it!

Thanks in advance, Jeff.

There is no Mac version ;). That would probably explain your trouble. I'm guessing you downloaded the Canadian Topo Maps instead.

Thanks in advance, Jeff.

Go to this Garmin page:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

Read this Garmin document (pdf):

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/MapSource_M...acComputers.pdf

All of the software and info you need are on the above pages.

Edited by Barrikady

Maps look good, and it's better than just the basic map that comes with the unit. You can put me down for Florida.

Best Regards

Something strange seems to have happend with Florida... I've got some counties and not others. I'll have to check my download. It may or may not make it in to the next version.

I've got source code for the Illinois maps now...they just started compiling. Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong, they should be in the next version.

Can someone tell me the approximate elevation at

30.486332 -88.852448? I want to make sure I'm reading my DEM files correctly.

I'm looking at including some Topo Data, or possibly supplementing the maps with a transparent topo overlay.

ibycus -- This is an outstanding project and saved me $100 on the City Navigator DVD for my new Edge 705 bike computer.

The Edge unit was relatively expensive and I was very disappointed that it only included the basemap with main highways -- roads that I would never bike on! I really didn't want to spend another hundred bucks for the City Nav software as most of the benefit is in the POI information, which doesn't get used by the bike computers, so this mapset filed the gap very well. I have been ride testing in Burlington County NJ and found the streets to be right on.

As for improvements...

1. If the installer could be broken down into several 100MB files, it would be great. I found that my download speed for the first ~100MB is good and then goes down to a modem-like speed. This points to some network throttling on part of my broadband provider (Comcast). For the benefit of others in this situation... I found the work-around to be to babysit the download and, upon slow-down, cancel and restart it - at which point it picks up at the same point in the download as long as I didn't try to download anything else.

2. In focusing in on the NJ/NY/PA maps, I found that a handful of counties are not able to be selected or downloaded to the device: Manhattan (NY), Bronx (NY), Westchester (NY), Eastern Half of Suffolk (NY), Beaver (PA), Chester (PA). Are others also seeing this? (I'm running MapSource version 6.13.7)

Once again, thanks for doing this project. Let me know if there's any way to contribute.

1. If the installer could be broken down into several 100MB files, it would be great. I found that my download speed for the first ~100MB is good and then goes down to a modem-like speed. This points to some network throttling on part of my broadband provider (Comcast). For the benefit of others in this situation... I found the work-around to be to babysit the download and, upon slow-down, cancel and restart it - at which point it picks up at the same point in the download as long as I didn't try to download anything else.

My eventual goal is to break the installer up in to individual IMG files. Which should address this issue.

2. In focusing in on the NJ/NY/PA maps, I found that a handful of counties are not able to be selected or downloaded to the device: Manhattan (NY), Bronx (NY), Westchester (NY), Eastern Half of Suffolk (NY), Beaver (PA), Chester (PA). Are others also seeing this? (I'm running MapSource version 6.13.7)

Once again, thanks for doing this project. Let me know if there's any way to contribute.

The cause of this problem (if its the one I think it is), is a bug in my processing... I'm just not sure exactly how to solve the problem (the problem is that the county boundary isn't continuous, so my map bounds entity and hence what you can select doesn't cover the whole county).

I'm still thinking of how best to address this.

Dale

Just wanted to let everyone monitoring (and posting to) this thread that I'm likely going to be away for the next little while. So don't be surprised if I don't reply (I'll try to anyways, but I'll likely be slower than usual). My dog is having knee surgery next wednesday, so I'm going to be a bit pre-occupied with that.

I just tried to down load the latest version, but keep getting an error message that reads something like "Cannot download ibycus.exe from ibycusUSA. The connection with the server was reset". Not word for word, but close. I had downloaded the earlier version a few weeks ago but want the latest version because it contains Texas. The first time I tried downloading the new version, I got the same message and even though it continued to download after starting again, I only got about 350 MBs worth.

I just tried to down load the latest version, but keep getting an error message that reads something like "Cannot download ibycus.exe from ibycusUSA. The connection with the server was reset". Not word for word, but close. I had downloaded the earlier version a few weeks ago but want the latest version because it contains Texas. The first time I tried downloading the new version, I got the same message and even though it continued to download after starting again, I only got about 350 MBs worth.

I'm not totally sure, but I didn't think the online version contains Texas (yet) anyways. The next version certainly will (I have it locally, just have to finalize and upload it).

I'm not totally sure, but I didn't think the online version contains Texas (yet) anyways. The next version certainly will (I have it locally, just have to finalize and upload it).

OOPS, my mistake. I thought Texas was on the most recent version. I'll try with next version. Thanks a bunch!

My first post!

These maps are excellent. I would like to join the list in Thanking You Dale for doing this.

Please add small Delaware to your list to do.

Hope all goes well with your dog.

Rick

Delaware will be in the next version. The next version is more or less ready to go, but my bandwidth is all tied uploading the latest version of the Canadian Maps.

Dale

Just to give you something to look forward to, the following states will be included in the next version:

ALABAMA

ALASKA

ARIZONA

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

COLORADO

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

DISTRICT_OF_COLUMBIA

FLORIDA (Partial)

IDAHO

ILLINOIS

KANSAS

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

MASSACHUSETTS

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEW_HAMPSHIRE

NEW_JERSEY

NEW_MEXICO

NEW_YORK

NORTH_CAROLINA

NORTH_DAKOTA

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

RHODE_ISLAND

SOUTH_CAROLINA

SOUTH_DAKOTA

TENNESSEE

TEXAS

UTAH

VERMONT

WASHINGTON

WYOMING

Dale you are the Man! I have down loaded Alabama and I am stunned how accurate it is, it loaded very easy and booted right up. Thank you. I am eagerly waiting for you to work on Alabama Topo, yes we have hills and Mountains in Alabama.

Thanks again

Mickermic

Totally Awesome work.

Since I am a 4 States Cacher/Benchmarker/Waymarker I will report for Missouri,Kansas,Arkansas and Oklahoma if you need it.

Thank you for the 3 out of 4 so far.

I checked 6 Counties in SW Missouri and it is all very acurate.

I found no problems yet.

I did find that Benton County in NW Arkansas won't highlight on the Map selection.

Kansas has no problems I can find yet.

I will get to Oklahoma when you gettr done.

Decided to give this a shot thinking the worst that could happen was that I would get all confused in the prpocess. Bought a 2GB card, downloaded the file, followed the simple instructions to load and there it is. It's almost too easy.........This certainly is very much appreciated!!! Got Louisiana and I'll be keeping an eye out for the surrounding states.

Can't thank you enough!!!

please let us know what we are supposed to downlaod.... is it ibycususa.exe or ibycususa13.exe?????????????????????

The new version will be available at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA13.exe , currently its still uploading (estimated completion in about 3 hours). The old version is still available at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA.exe. Eventually I'll nuke the old version, and just leave the most up to date version (I might set it up so that both URLs download the latest version, or just make one of the links go dead... I haven't decided yet.).

Dale

Dale,

Sure appreciate your work and gifts. :-)

Is there any way some of us could help? Either with this project or other 'needs'?

Do you need any help hosting these files?

PayPal account for donations?

A "wish list" of ways we can show our appreciation??

Let us know...

bg

Edited by lookn4somthn

Dale,

Sure appreciate your work and gifts. :-)

Is there any way some of us could help? Either with this project or other 'needs'?

Do you need any help hosting these files?

PayPal account for donations?

A "wish list" of ways we can show our appreciation??

Let us know...

bg

As far as hosting goes, I'm pretty well set. I'm currently making my hosting provider (hostmonster) regret offering unlimited bandwidth and storage for $6/month :). (note, I'm in no way affiliated with them, other than as a customer).

I've got a "donate" button set up on my TopoMaps page (http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo), which is always appreciated. I plan to set one up on /ibycususa, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Other than that, geocoins are always appreciated, either sent through caches, or the more traditional way.

My address is

Dale Atkin

12 Country Lane Dr.

Calgary, AB

T3Z 1J2

Edited by ibycus