Magellan Triton 400

I am in the need to upgrade my trusty Merigreen. I was looking at some reviews on the Magellan Triton 400 hand held, looks good for the under $200 range, has sd card capability, and will work with National Geographic TOPO maps.

Anybody have one of these units and willing to tell more about it?

I am in the need to upgrade my trusty Merigreen. I was looking at some reviews on the Magellan Triton 400 hand held, looks good for the under $200 range, has sd card capability, and will work with National Geographic TOPO maps.

I just sent mine back today.. It's complete garbage, the base map stinks, difficult to get it to jive with any software, tech support from India, %100 crap. Looks real fancy though.

I just sent mine back today.. It's complete garbage, the base map stinks, difficult to get it to jive with any software, tech support from India, %100 crap. Looks real fancy though.

Sent my 300 back last week... too many problems... some you can deal with.. like the odometer never being right on the unit... but the track log is right when you put in on the computer... the killer for me was when the unit locked up and was not recoverable... I believe this was because the memory got full... unfortunately using VantagePoint when you do a Sync it copies everything from the unit.. and everything TO the unit... so be careful not to fill the memory... maybe the 400 won't have this problem as it has a SD card.

Hopefully Magellan will some day get the unit working right... looked to be a killer deal for the price.. but I guess you get what you pay for :laughing:

Okay Triton bashers, you win today with me.

well I tried an experiment today with the Triton 500 and juiced it up to the max with about 1,000 benchmark waypoints and 500 geocaches.... Not that I'll ever find that many of either in 5 years..... :laughing:

Anyhow, I was able to find 2 geocaches and 5 benchmarks but was plagued all day with the infamous outdoornav.exe error which is the same as the blue screen of death on Windows 98. Must have rebooted ten times today.... Unit also was real slow on the compass screen today.

Unit works great for geocaching if I keep it around 200 to 300 geocaches and a handful of waypoints. But perhaps it's not quite ready to be a totally paperless unit yet (so I was wrong).... If they could read the gpx files from the SD drive would be a big boost to this unit. I can load countless 1,000s of gpx files on my PDA if I were to continue that route (although I don't geocache enough to warrant this)