adopted caches

jwe4i

i had a couple of caches and then left the game for awhile. i let others adopt the caches and now i'm back in the game. is it tacky/bad to search for the caches and log as finds? it drives me nuts to run a search in my zip code and not see that little smiley face next to a cache. thanks.

If you hid them, you already know where they are so how can you "find" them? Tacky? Yes, some people might think so. Others will tell you to do what pleases you.

If seeing them on your search list annoys you, you can always put them on your ignore list and you won't see them again.

i had a couple of caches and then left the game for awhile. i let others adopt the caches and now i'm back in the game. is it tacky/bad to search for the caches and log as finds? it drives me nuts to run a search in my zip code and not see that little smiley face next to a cache. thanks.

Tacky? Sortof. Bad? Nah. Your options are to "Ignore" the caches, or log them as found. How many are we talking about here... 2-3? Several dozen? If the new logs won't significantly affect your find count, then go for it.

You might go look for them. If it's been a while, it's quite possible that you really will have to hunt them, they won't be where you put them, might not be the same container. Then decide whether it feels like a "found it!" or a note or nothing.

Two of my toughest hunts have been on my own caches. Had they been adopted out to someone else, I'd have logged finds on them. As they're mine, I figure it's part of cache maintenance. (I also figure that both of them can/did become tethered hides).

...Tacky? Sortof. Bad? Nah. Your options are to "Ignore" the caches, or log them as found. How many are we talking about here... 2-3? Several dozen? If the new logs won't significantly affect your find count, then go for it.

Agreed. Besides, I know finders move my caches and I can't even find the ones that I own sometimes.

I guess the way I see it, if the cache isn't yours any more then there is not really a good reason you can't log it... Although I admit it is kind of strange.

What about adopting a cache that you have already found. If it is not OK to find a cache you have adopted out, then is it not OK to adopt a cache to someone who has already found it.

I say you should be able to log it!

What about adopting a cache that you have already found. If it is not OK to find a cache you have adopted out, then is it not OK to adopt a cache to someone who has already found it.

There's a big difference though... If you're finding a cache that you placed, there's really no "find" to it. You already know where it is. If you adopt a cache you already found, you did in fact make a true find on that cache, it just happens that you now own it as well. That's what happened to me... I just adopted a cache that I was FTF on! It was such a cool cache that I couldn't stand to see it archived as the owner was moving out of state.

DCC

Just do what you and the cache owners agree is the right thing to do. Stop listening to random goofs in the forums. You do not want to be ground by our axes.

He asked for opinions and some people offered theirs. Just wondering, which ones are the"goofs"? Everyone who answered, or just the ones you disagree with?

Just do what you and the cache owners agree is the right thing to do. Stop listening to random goofs in the forums. You do not want to be ground by our axes.
He asked for opinions and some people offered theirs.
... and I offered mine. My advice was that a find is an agreement between a cacher and a cache owner. Therefore, he should check with the cache owners.
Just wondering, which ones are the"goofs"? Everyone who answered, or just the ones you disagree with?
Good question. I was referring to everyone in the forums (including myself), not just those that agreed with me or disagreed with me. Edited by sbell111

There's a big difference though... If you're finding a cache that you placed, there's really no "find" to it. You already know where it is. If you adopt a cache you already found, you did in fact make a true find on that cache, it just happens that you now own it as well. That's what happened to me... I just adopted a cache that I was FTF on! It was such a cool cache that I couldn't stand to see it archived as the owner was moving out of state.

DCC

Along those same lines...I recently adopted the first cache I ever found!!! Owner contacted me asking if i would be interested...she no longer wanted the hide (too far for her)...I, of course, said yes!!! I think that is pretty darn cool to "own" the first cache you ever found!!! (the adoption took place more then a year after my find)!!!

I even updated the container from a small coffee can to an ammo box!!!

thanks for all the input IRT this matter. i have to put out there, that the 3 caches in question all have been replaced and moved to new coords, this being said I tried the ignore listing function but they still show up, no big deal I will just consider them as off limits and not worry about them...thanks again.