Law Enforcement Geocaching

iCop

As a geocaching law enforcement officer, I've run into several other cachers who share the same occupation with me.

I am trying to find more law officers who are into geocaching. I have ideas for coins, trackables, and other ideas that we could share.

If you are a law officer who geocaches, please get in touch with me. It would be fun to compare notes.

As a geocaching law enforcement officer, I've run into several other cachers who share the same occupation with me.

I am trying to find more law officers who are into geocaching. I have ideas for coins, trackables, and other ideas that we could share.

If you are a law officer who geocaches, please get in touch with me. It would be fun to compare notes.

You're the cache police?

;)

You're the cache police?

:D

No....:D

I am a law enforcement officer who caches.

There is a website for a different group of people (military association of Geocachers) that kinds does what you want to do, letting those people have a way to takl and share info. It migh be cool for you guys to do the same kind of thing, and start a 'group'. Get a website up and get a link on your profile. Word spreads from cop to cop and soon you have a decent sized group.

Leo-cachers?

Count me in... I am in LE in southwest Missouri for the last 27 years...into geocaching for the last couple of months.

My wife and I love it, and have scoped out, and gotten permission for a few caches we plan on placing over the next few months.

Wow! The response is tremendous!

I'm working on an interactive website for all of us to share. This would be a good way to supplement our caching experiences. It's registered and I'm in the process of getting a temporary format up and running. I'll let all of you know when it goes live.

Wow! The response is tremendous!

I'm working on an interactive website for all of us to share. This would be a good way to supplement our caching experiences. It's registered and I'm in the process of getting a temporary format up and running. I'll let all of you know when it goes live.

I just exchange some email recently with a cacher named OBXed that is, apparently a retired LEO. You might want to send him an invite once you get your site up.

I too take Geocaching laws very seriously.

I even have a picture of myself in my best Geocaching uniform on my profile page. :o

.......and before you ask.The answer is No I'm not related to Frank Sidebottom!!! :o

Edited by currykev

Count me in. LEO for the state. :)

I've been known to arrest a few people now and then :D

Mainly I go after people that like to make micro caches!!! :laughing:

Around here, that's mostly what I get. I guess you can say most of my caching experience is that of an "Urban Geocacher"

Okay fellow LEO's...I have a temporary home for us. www.leocachers.org

It's very early in the development. I need to work out the details on graphics, features and help with the blog. But we'll work it all out as we go.

Can retarded...er, I mean...retired LEO's play too? :o

Only if you set me up with a geocaching badge like the one in your picture!

Just kidding. Sure we welcome active and retired to our group. Any country, any level (federal, state, county, city, province, etc.)

Speaking of retired...I've actually retired once, stayed gone for a couple of months, returned as a reserve --- seven months later went back full time. I guess I wasn't as finished as I thought I was!!!

Edited by ufl3k

Can retarded...er, I mean...retired LEO's play too? :anitongue:

Only if you set me up with a geocaching badge like the one in your picture!

Just kidding. Sure we welcome active and retired to our group. Any country, any level (federal, state, county, city, province, etc.)

Speaking of retired...I've actually retired once, stayed gone for a couple of months, returned as a reserve --- seven months later went back full time. I guess I wasn't as finished as I thought I was!!!

I know what you mean! After I retired from the CHP, I spent some time as a driving instructor to the local PD. I got run over by a drunk in my first career, so I couldn't work the road anymore, but I could still put a car into a sideways skid at 90 mph. It's hard to leave...

Speaking of LEO, I had an interesting incident with a local police officer last weekend. Another cacher and I were doing a "benchmark helper cache", a micro right next to a BM so that you could get both. It was around 1am and we were off the side of the road on the other side of the guardrail with headlamps on. The officer put us in the spotlight and hit her lights so I sauntered over to see what was up. She asked what we were doing so I told her geocaching and had to explain what it was because she had never heard of it.

This is when it got interesting. She said "You know it's one in the morning, right?" I simply said "Yeah...". Then, she took me completely by surprise when she said "You can't do that at one in the morning". I stood there for a minute contemplating the fact that she had just told me, a 32 year old ADULT, that I wasn't allowed to be out caching at 1am. My response was simply "Is there some kind of law that says I'm not allowed to be out at one in the morning?" Her attitude stopped when I said that so she must've realized that she was a little out of line trying to enforce some non-existent curfew on me. She ran our IDs and drove away.

I've had a lot of encounters with LEOs when caching and I can happily say that all of them have been positive except for this one. This is also the first time I've actually been offended enough to snap back. Hopefully next time she sees a couple of idiots out in the middle of the night with headlamps on she won't be so quick to assume the worst.

Hopefully next time she sees a couple of idiots out in the middle of the night with headlamps on she won't be so quick to assume the worst.

Not an LEO here, but I was a city prosecutor for awhile - does that count? Anyway, wanted to comment on this. I agree that this officer had no business telling you you couldn't be out at 1 a.m. (assuming you weren't in an area that is closed to the public at night), but I think I do want LEOs to "assume the worst" about people doing things at times and under circumstances that seem suspicious and set off the "just doesn't look right" alarm. I'd rather they check it out, preventing/stopping the occasional crime and mildly inconveniencing the occasional cacher (who probably has it coming at 1 a.m.!), than just assume it's nothing.

If LEOs had assumed the worst then John Wayne Gacy wouldn't have killed his last 7 victims. If LEOs had assumed the worst Wayne Williams might have only killed his first victim before finally being caught.

It has never ceased to amaze me that people who have never done a days work of LE nor had any training in the field some how are positive they know all about the job and think they can tell a LEO what to look for and do the job. They wouldn't think of telling their auto mechanic how to do a valve job, their accountant how to figure the books, the electrician how to wire their house but when it comes to law enforcement every high schoool drop out pickle slinger at McDonalds suddenly knows all there is to know about the LE field. Only thing I've figured is they've all become experts watching all the cop shows on TV and they actually believe that stuff is true.

Retired LE here

35 years civilian LE - 27 yrs state, 8 yrs fed

13 yrs military LE - 2 yrs army, 11 yrs USAF/ANG

Edited by Wadcutter

I worked as a CO for a while after my Army days. That's not the same as LE I know. Yet I have to say that what Lightning Jeff and Wadcutter said is dead on. Yes there is a certain amount of respect that officers need to show folks, but they also need to be somewhat suspicious of everyone. That's the one think that keeps them alive and keeps you safe. She was just doing her job. And I hope she does the same thing again next time she's in that situation.

By the way, thank you very much to every single one of you guys and gals.

It has never ceased to amaze me that people who have never done a days work of LE nor had any training in the field some how are positive they know all about the job and think they can tell a LEO what to look for and do the job. They wouldn't think of telling their auto mechanic how to do a valve job, their accountant how to figure the books, the electrician how to wire their house but when it comes to law enforcement every high schoool drop out pickle slinger at McDonalds suddenly knows all there is to know about the LE field. Only thing I've figured is they've all become experts watching all the cop shows on TV and they actually believe that stuff is true.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post or you just are looking to argue. My issue was not that the officer put me in the spotlight, it was not that she took my ID, it was not that she stopped in the first place to question me. Believe me, I can't count on both hands the number of times I've been confronted by an LEO while caching just in the last few months. With the exception of this incident they were all very friendly and I ended up having a nice chat with them. My issue was that she tried to enforce a non-existent curfew on me. In no way, shape, or form did I try to tell her how to her job (or any other LEOs who happen to be about).