TNLN?

Suzy-Me

It means you're too darn lazy to write an entire sentence and tell the cache owner what you thought of their hide

That's kind of a rude response. Not all caches require a Journalism 101 puff-piece. I know for a fact that if I'm doing a series of 10 caches I'm not going to do a movie review of each one of them.

It means you're too darn lazy to write an entire sentence and tell the cache owner what you thought of their hide

That's kind of a rude response. Not all caches require a Journalism 101 puff-piece. I know for a fact that if I'm doing a series of 10 caches I'm not going to do a movie review of each one of them.

While I agree that sounded a bit rude, I agree with JerseyGirl. I really don't see a place for TNLNSL or anything to that effect. When signing a physical log, I usually try to write something interesting, even if it is a simple Thanks. If it is 100 degrees and I am being eaten by mosquitoes, a simple name/date is enough. When it comes to the online log, it doesn't take long to write an actual sentence. I think it is nice for the CO to get a bit of a message, even if is just "thanks!" For myself, I've been trying to add more details to my online logs, so that as time goes on, I may just remember the cache based on my log. Early on I did use some of acronyms, because I thought it what was simply done. I didn't really like it, so I stopped. The lexicon should be relegated to Instant Messages, text messaging, things of that sort.

TNLN may not be intended to be rude to a cache owner, but I think it definitely comes across that way. The flip side is that a finder may hate the cache, and simply sign it as TNLN to be nice. But even there, I think a simple sentence saying, say, how long it took to find is a way to simply have a long with the bare minimum of info, yet not degrade the cache publicly. Leave the degrading to a private email. Sorry for the tangent ;)

For some TNLNSL says exactly what they thought of the cache. For others that's all they have to say about that, and it's all the more they will ever have to say because long verbose logs about life the cache and the universe are not their thing let alone one of their skills.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Lazy? You mean like posting cookie cutter responses in the forums? ;););)

Hey, duplicate thread, duplicate response. ;)

Not every cache needs a movie review...but how hard is it to write something about what you experienced. I think some of it points back to the "quantity" factor in the hobby. Some people can't be bothered to think about a hide longer than taking 2 minutes to throw down a film canister in the nearest strip mall. Others can't be bothered to think longer than 30 seconds to write a note about their find.

No time to think about it...I have more hides/finds to make!!!

P.S. I have no problem with people leaving terse logs as their method of feedback on a cache which they felt was lacking, however.

We are very new newbies just trying out this caching stuff. I left the TNLN on the log because I thought that was "the thing to do" and I would like to fit in. We have loved every one we have found. We don't usually take anything but often leave something if there is room in the cache. I do try to leave a note because I enjoy reading the ones others have left. Gosh, the etiquitte is a little hard to figure out around here. Thanks for the interesting posts! Alicia in WA

March 17 by BlueDeuce

Rain started coming down hard just as I got to the cache site. I turned up the geo-magic search power to a higher level and found the cache the first place I looked. Sweet! TNLNSL TFTC!

Look an entire sentence and TNLN! (Does the 'uh-huh that's right' dance)

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

When I first started, I was doing the same thing. I wrote short logs because that is what I saw on the cache pages.

However, the most fun logs for a cache owner to receive, if you are a creative writer, are ones like those this man wrote:

Once again Fattboy has issued a challenge that I could not say no to. He’s calling me out, I know it. In his cache write-up for his END OF THE LINE cache he mentions at the end “PLEASE BE DISCREET”. What kind of crack is that? Is he saying I can’t be discreet? Does he go around talking to his buddies saying stuff like “Oh yeah, most people would know better but there’s this yrium guy running around, falling down hills, splitting his pants, Huffing and puffing and blowharding all around the place… So I have to say in my cache description to be discreet.”

“I can too be Discreet, Fattboy, you just watch me” I though to myself as I layed rubber exiting my driveway. Gromit was bouncing around in his seat like a ping-pong ball at a Chinese grudge match down at the local ping-pong emporium. I lead-footed it all the way to the end of Poway Road, tires screeching at every turn, people flipping me the bird for reasons unknown to me all along the way. When I got to the general cache area I parked the card by jumping it over the curb and skidding to a stop in the moist mud. “COME ON GROMIT!” I yelled over my shoulder as I got out of the car, “OH, AND DON’T DO ANYTHING STRANGE… WE’RE BEING DISCREET!”

So we discreetly walked up and into the muddy field next to where we had parked and I studied the GPS a bit. Hmmmmm… Seems we’re on the wrong side of the street, I guess we’ll have to cross. Looking behind me I notice Gromit has wandered further and further away on his quest for sniff worthy substances. The field is pretty clear and what with the recent rain I don’t think he was getting too many aroma molecules up his nostrils. “Gromit, come on little buddy, we got to cross the road!” I said discreetly. ;) Gromit’s usually right quick to heel. He loves showing off his good manners he learned in obedience school, but this time he kinda looked at me and then using his shaggy head he gestured to the hills Eastward. “Lets go be wolves” he seemed to mime “come on FOODGUY, we can chase rabbits”. He took a few more steps away from me and then paused a moment as he looked over his shoulder “Plump juicy rabbits… I can smell um”.

“Gromit, you come here!” I scolded him. “I can’t be running around the wet burned hills with you looking for rabbits, bushy-tailed, jack-rabbit, Welsh or any other nationality you might be fantasizing about. We’ve got to get across the street and discreetly look for Fattboy’s cache”. As I looked at the wonderdog I could tell he still wasn’t convinced. “Okay-Okay, if you come with me now we’ll pretend we’re wolves later… Promise”.

(continued in note)

With that he finally came back my way and we crept up to the edge of the road and waited for an opening in the traffic so we could cross. Minutes went by… That’s one busy road. Zip zip zip the cars passed in front of us. Gromit kept looking at me as he defers all street-crossing decisions to me. “Not now… Not Now… No… Wait… Wait… Hold it… Wait… NOW !!! Run for it!” I extolled triumphantly “Now’s the time”.

So we hotfooted it across the street. As we did I noticed that at first what seemed to be a far off car no longer appeared that way as it was coming on fast. “Yowza, Run Gromit Run!”. I said as I changed my pace from a fast tempo lumber to a panic paced sprint that any metabolically enhanced track and field guy would be envious of. False alarm, we made it with plenty of time to spare, we probably could have sauntered across hopping on one leg, or in Gromit’s case two legs. But we wouldn’t have done it that way… what with us being discreet and all.

Good hide Fattboy, We looked at all the obvious places then wandered around figuring you’d given us bad coords or something. Looked some more in places 20 to 30 feet away from where my GPS was telling me to look and not finding it. I know I said to myself, the great speed at which I crossed the street has gotten my GPS confused… I’ll have to wait till it settles down… After it settled down, IE pointed back to where it originally led me to I finally got smart and found the cache. As I said, Good hide.

Took a look at the logbook and saw that Halstaff had been there just before us. I guess he isn’t slowed down by wistfully wolf-wishing canines. Well the jokes on him. If he’d been a little more slow and surreptitious like moi, he could have gotten a copy of the latest Geocacher trading cards I left behind. Its #3 in the Udesignit line featuring Halstaff himself. Radical Geezer was the last to find the Udesignit travel bug and he did the image and text for the card. I have to compliment him, the cards came out nice. I also left the Udesignit travelbug in the cache so if anyone wants to pick the next subject for a card they need to make their way discreetly to this cache.

Oh and Fattboy, I’m still waiting for some high-definition pictures of you. If you have any Polaroid’s of you poised upon a teeter-totter that would be exceptionally cool.

Thanks for the cache we loved it… “What’s that Gromit? You say its time to be wolves?” Okay, “Ooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu… OOOOuuuuuuAAAAuuuuuuuAAAuu” I howled as we walked back to the car. Fattboy didn’t say nothing about being discreet after we found the cache.

--- yrium ---

;) ;) ;)

Even if the cache is a Lamp Post Micro (LPC), you could write about the weather, or how hard it was to find parking . . . then say TNLNSL. ;)

The other day my wife (Zag) ask me what does SL mean? I told her to search the forum. She couldn't find/remember our password and the search feature is not allowed unless your logged in. So today I looked up our password and tried to search "SL"..., Nope,... it wont let me search a two letter word! So I thought about it for awhile and figured somebody must have asked about other acronyms . So I tried TFTC, and found this thread and sure enough,...... somebody did happen to mention that SL means "Signed Log". WOW! Its not like it cost money to type more letters or something,... come on people, type out the whole words. If you are texting I can see why, but this is the internet and you can use as many letters as you want. When I was getting into Ham radio I was told to not use a bunch of codes when on a voice mode of comunications,... just say what you mean and keep it simple. :anitongue:

Its not like it cost money to type more letters or something,... come on people, type out the whole words. If you are texting I can see why, but this is the internet and you can use as many letters as you want. When I was getting into Ham radio I was told to not use a bunch of codes when on a voice mode of comunications,... just say what you mean and keep it simple. :laughing:

And you ended your message with an emoticon?

Such an interesting discussion-especially from a newbie point of view!

We too have used these as we thought it was the way to go-I am the one in our family that logs our finds online and I always try to write a little something about each find and then also use the proper abbreviations-seems like a good combo to me-but to each his own and that is the beauty of the sport!

Jena of The RedStone

edit: I forgot to say to BlueDeuce that I LOVE your plate-just told dh I wanted a texas cacher plate and he said ok-now to figure out what's available!!

Edited by The RedStone

edit: I forgot to say to BlueDeuce that I LOVE your plate-just told dh I wanted a texas cacher plate and he said ok-now to figure out what's available!!

A couple days ago someone pulled up behind me and honked a couple times. I first thought, 'Geez, I'm not in your way, what's your hurry?' Then I remembered the plate. :unsure:

A cacher with thousands of finds found several of my caches. She wrote a short but unique comment on each one, something specific to the cache or location. That's classy.

However, I would not want to exclude those who simply don't have writing skills (which is quite different from literacy).

TNLN, when part of a longer log entry, does have a place, since it indicates the omission of a specific action which is often part of finding a cache. It indicates that you really didn't do any trading as opposed to forgetting to mention it. That can be useful but doesn't really justify writing out the whole thing.

Edward

When I find a uncreative micro on a stinky dumpster, I will post. "It's logged" or "It's there" or something even more low key like "Bump" meaning It's only worthy of a numbers bump.

We had a cache that required you to tell a story called Stolen Ideas.

Here's my log:

December '06. Decent month this year, but this night, though relatively warm, was dank. No one was home and the walls were closing in. "There's a cache along the bike trail," I thought to myself. "I think I'll grab it tonight." Off I go, coordinates loaded in my GPS. "Hmmmmm. Zero point six eight miles from my parking spot. Oh, well, I drove this far...." It was a long walk only because mist and drizzle filled the air. The path was narrow but straight, bordered close by trees on each side. If you've ever seen the cover on the Exorcist DVD with the priest silhouetted in the alley, you saw me that night, hooded against the rain. But, lo! I discovered halfway I had forgotten the paperwork at home! "Not a problem," thought I. "I've been at this awhile." Upon arrival at the coordinates a memory as dim as the trail I'd traversed plagued me. I was to remember nothing of the listing and find the same standing there in the rain on the only muddy part of this whole trail. An odor of Amish origin seeped into my nostrils from some unknown source. Best to leave, I thought. My walk back to safety was brisk, but no more pleasant.

A few nights later, it was a colder but clear. Tucking the paperwork in my pocket and double checking its presence, I set off to try again. But this walk was brisk for a different reason. The temperature. Undaunted, I arrived at the destination with a frost forming on my scarf. The source of the Amish odor was plainly visible in the moonlight. "Make your way on a heading of 175º and pace off 65," stated the instructions. "You'll find a small peanut butter container hidden away." My hands were shivering from the cold as I read - or I should say misread. I vainly searched all possible locations for this sized container. Nothing again. Oddly, though it was near midnight, I encountered a muggle! A pleasant fellow who listened patiently to me explain what geocaching was. He then made a few furtive glances at the strange apparatus on my forehead (an LED headlight) and it became clear he wanted to continue his moonlight jog away from this lunatic. By that time ice was forming on my moustache and cold was creeping into my toes. Twice tried, twice defeated. Another day will dawn. I will not be beaten!

Daylight assisting on the next and third try, I was surprised to find the walk shorter, though it wasn't really. Sunlight merely made it seem so and helped me read the listing more carefully. Not a small peanut butter jar, but a micro was I to find it said. Off I set on heading 175º and according to the manual "pace off 65 FEET." That I did, correcting one of my prior errors. Nada. Nothing to be found. Not an unexplored place to hide something even that small made itself evident. Faulty coordinates could not be to blame since there was a landmark and a measurement from same. "Maybe it really did mean 65 PACES." Nope. Only a barbed wire torn jacket was my reward there. Then the bulb went on. Maybe that 175º was TRUE north and NOT magnetic north, the setting at which I keep my GPS and I'd even come this time armed with a genuine Boy Scout compass. No mention was made in the listing of what system to use, but I gave TRUE north a shot. This took me completely across the trail and after a small climb, I instantly found what I was looking for. "Too easy," says I aloud, "just my own idiocy to blame on this one." The second stage took only the amount of time to walk to where it resided and it was signed, sealed and delivered in short order.

Now, you ask, why put this here?

It is here primarily so as not to give too many hints on the noted cache. Secondly, a story is necessary for this one say the instructions, and I've relearned to pay attention to instructions.

Note to self: Never leave home without the paperwork, never misread the paperwork because your eyes are teared up from the cold and use your experience - search in an arc when you know you're the proper distance from a landmark.

Note to the owner of this cache: It is indeed properly named. However, the idea was stolen from ME. I had this idea over a year ago, but health matters prevented a timely execution of it. It was in my head only, no one else knew of it. I will hence readjust the tin foil cap I wear so that my ideas can no longer be stolen from my head like this one was. But beware! I will have my revenge in due time. Indeed I will.

This cache has the distinction of being the last cache found by me in 2006.

Happy New Year to all!

from RATTLEBARS!

Here is a list of caches placed around the city for an event. Each a part of speech or some related idiom. Party was planned by an English teacher. Very easy hides, but the ALR was, for me, not that difficult and really fun! You had to find all the first ones to get the coordinates to the final.

Poetic Practice – All About Alliteration [Visit Log]

Poetic Practice – Simile [Visit Log]

Poetic Practice – Simple Rhymes [Visit Log]

Poetic Practice – Onomatopoeia [Visit Log]

Poetic Practice – Haiku [Visit Log]

Poetic Practice – Limerick [Visit Log]

Poetic Practice - Putting it Together to which I logged concisely - The mystery is history!

Edited by Rattlebars

Hmmmmm....

I'm going to have to start thinking about what I'm writing now.

I have been enjoying the TNLNSL log entry.

But I hadn't thought about it from the COs point of view.

I tend to write more than that for the online log when they're cool...even if I only wrote an ancronym in the logbook because of mosquitos or muggles or whatever.

I'll keep this in mind next time I find one with a big logbook and I have enough time to write a propper note.

I do mean the TFTC sincerely though...especially on the more challenging hides. :rolleyes:

I'm new to geocaching and certainly finding the abbreviations a challenge. Is there a recognised condition when you can't read abbreviations - like abbreviation dyspraxia (?), because I always find them a challenge in everyday life, GSOH is about my limit, after that my brain grinds to a halt.

Being able to touch type is a great help when it comes to typing whole sentences, I wish it was a compulsory subject these days in school. My 8 and 9 year olds have become proficient two finger typists already, but these days it seems a shame not to go straight to 10 fingers. :D