Velcro on Monuments?

Just curious on what the general consensus is on somebody placing a micro cache on a historic monument with velcro? This was just done here in Oregon and I personally feel that its not entirely a good thing. I would figure that it would upset the park service as well as several groups that take care of this monument? What do you all think

Just curious on what the general consensus is on somebody placing a micro cache on a historic monument with velcro? This was just done here in Oregon and I personally feel that its not entirely a good thing. I would figure that it would upset the park service as well as several groups that take care of this monument? What do you all think

Sticking stuff on a monument like that is trashy, cheap, cheesy and insulting. Even if done with 'permission'.

Some things are just wrong on the face of it such that respectful caring responsible people just won't do it.

Being a member of the geocaching community does not excuse someone from observing basic decency.

I've seen this type stuff more than once and am totally repulsed every time.

Edited by Team Cotati

Sticking stuff on a monument like that is trashy, cheap, cheesy and insulting. Even if done with 'permission'.

Some things are just wrong on the face of it such that respectful caring responsible people just won't do it.

Being a member of the geocaching community does not excuse someone from observing basic decency.

What he said.

El Diablo

Sticky Velcro® tends to release after a few weeks or months in hot weather and when it does it leaves a sticky, gooey mess that is hard to clean up,

It would be much better IMO, to use a permanent concrete anchor bolt. The only real challenge will be drilling the hole, but htat has become easier with the advent of the "universal" battery powered tools... a battery powered hammer-drill can be obtained for under a hundred dollars at some discount stores. Or you could revert to the old-fashioned hammer and star-drill, but this requires a lot of elbow grease to work efficiently.

Sticky Velcro® tends to release after a few weeks or months in hot weather and when it does it leaves a sticky, gooey mess that is hard to clean up,

It would be much better IMO, to use a permanent concrete anchor bolt. The only real challenge will be drilling the hole, but htat has become easier with the advent of the "universal" battery powered tools... a battery powered hammer-drill can be obtained for under a hundred dollars at some discount stores. Or you could revert to the old-fashioned hammer and star-drill, but this requires a lot of elbow grease to work efficiently.

OMG Somebody would die for doing that lol. Actually the monument in question is the mast of the USS Oregon. I know it doesn't mean much to most people. But to others its a state treasure.

I believe this is against guidelines (defacing public property) and is frowned upon by GS as well as most cachers. This is another little way to tick off landowners or park officials which could lead to trouble!

We've found a few multi's with just a sticker for the first stage...these aren't a good idea either!

YOU ARE Soooooooooooooo WRONG

Velcro on Monuments?

It works for me Mission Impossible has been in place since 2003 , and yes it does release after about six months and leaves no adhesive trace and have permission for placement and hide method

Go for it

Joe

Velcro on Monuments?

It works for me Mission Impossible has been in place since 2003 , and yes it does release after about six months and leaves no adhesive trace and have permission for placement and hide method

Go for it

Joe

I think the key here is you got permission to place it in this manner. I'm not sure of many places which WILL give permission for this type of hide...so congrats! I can't think of many places which would WANT people climbing on, groping about or whatever while searching on or around an historic or cultural monument. I'm for respecting our monuments.

Also, to the OP....maybe you should run it past your reviewer before going to much trouble, they might not like the hide themselves...

Velcro on Monuments?

Go for it

Joe

I think the key here is you got permission to place it in this manner. I'm not sure of many places which WILL give permission for this type of hide...so congrats! I can't think of many places which would WANT people climbing on, groping about or whatever while searching on or around an historic or cultural monument. I'm for respecting our monuments.

Also, to the OP....maybe you should run it past your reviewer before going to much trouble, they might not like the hide themselves...

How do I get in contact with my local reviewer? I've never done that before? I mean I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was magnetic as that wouldn't hurt a metal mast at all. But Velcro I'm not to keen on. I did some checking and it seems the person that put the cache out has had a few others taken down for not getting permission and things like that.

Edited by nerdling

Velcro on Monuments?

Go for it

Joe

How do I get in contact with my local reviewer? I've never done that before? I mean I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was magnetic as that wouldn't hurt a metal mast at all. But Velcro I'm not to keen on. I did some checking and it seems the person that put the cache out has had a few others taken down for not getting permission and things like that.

The reviewer's name is the one in the log (usually the first log of a cache) which says Published (or something like this) at the bottom of any cache...usually, this person has 0 finds!

I just re-read the OP, you might want to ask the person who hid the cache first to find out if permission was given for this type of hide before asking a reviewer to jump in. I need to read the posts better.... This would be a courtesy to the hider of the cache!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Velcro on Monuments?

Go for it

Joe

Joe, you know I respect you, but I have to disagree. It may release without leaving a trace, but most people will preceive it as disfiguring. Perception is reality.

El Diablo

OMG Somebody would die for doing that lol. Actually the monument in question is the mast of the USS Oregon. I know it doesn't mean much to most people. But to others its a state treasure.

A mast? You won't need a drill for that, a power hammer would do the job!

I see some folks are advocating a magnetic attachment.

You might want to reconsider unless some tests are done to see if even that would damage the surface. A strong magnet will be difficult to pull straight off the surface--it's end up sliding a bit. If the magnet is likemost keyholders I've seen then it is likely it would scratch. Add those scratches up and you've got some serious problems.

Some sort of protection on the magnet might be in order.

It's a tacky idea.

It's a tacky idea.

'Tacky'. I get it.