Palm Geocaching software

I have seen the following listed by a few people on the forum are there any I may be missing that are worth trying?

GSAK

EasyGPS

Plucker

Spinner

Cachemate - testing

Cache Log Book - testing

If it matters I just bought a Palm M100 from eBay for 9.99 specifically for paperless caching.I will definately run cachemate.

I know there is alot of discussion currently but it's hard to put a list together from 10 different threads.

all you will ever need is gsak and cachemate.

That's my recommendation too!

I would agree that GSAK is the most resourceful tool, but it gets VERY confusing, and when you are just starting it can seem impossible. It may not be the best tool. If you don't need all the extra features for filtering and stuff like that, then go with EasyGPS. It is very easy (no pun intended) to use and learn and it will manage you PQ's pretty well. It's what I use and I love it! Plus with GSAK it is free to use but after 21 days or something, you have to pay to get rid of the nag screen. EasyGPS as you may know, is free and never has a nag screen.

But, now you need to become a Premium Member so you can get the more-detailed .gpx files, either directly from the cache pages, or from Pocket Queries. ;)

Getting there slowly, When I first started in '06 my GPSr carpped out on me, now I have a GPSr that is better quality and it works well for me. The Palm I purchased because I hate wasting paper. I'll get a PM here soon.

Everyone on the forums so far have been very helpful. I hope to meet up with some local cachers soon.

Thanks

-Tom

For those that use Plucker:

- Ditch Spinner in favor of GSAK's html output. (It's faster and gives better output)

- Ditch Plucker's desktop application in favor of Sunrise Desktop. (It's also faster, doesn't crash as often, and allows you to sync the cache page's pics to Plucker.)

I too do not care for Cachemate. I tried it out, even made the payment because it is a good program. My problem is that it is a very right handed program, and I am left handed.

So I use the SunriseXP Desktop and Plucker Reader. But to organize everything in the beginning I use GASK.

Just my two cents, but it works for me.

- Ditch Spinner in favor of GSAK's html output. (It's faster and gives better output)

- Ditch Plucker's desktop application in favor of Sunrise Desktop. (It's also faster, doesn't crash as often, and allows you to sync the cache page's pics to Plucker.)

Interesting, I'll check out the GSAK output, but I'm really happy with Spinner.

I did ditch Plucker, but went to iSilo which I love. Quick, easy and does pics, too.

Interesting, I'll check out the GSAK output, but I'm really happy with Spinner.

I did ditch Plucker, but went to iSilo which I love. Quick, easy and does pics, too.

I tried this too, I like spinner more, it will allow you to grap TB pages and also will get you maps and such on your PDA. Have a look at the .ini file in the spinner directory

I use GSAK and Cachemate/Cachenav. I'm having trouble, all of a sudden, with cache nav deciding, even when it has a good signal, not to update the display. It works fine if I'm moving, but if I'm stopped, or moving slow (like walking), it doesn't update more than once every 30 seconds to a minute - fine if I'm a decent distance away, but not good if I'm 100 or less feet from the cache.

Also, I've had more trouble with my new 755p treo than the 650 I used to have - I still use both, and use two different bluetooth GPSrs - more problems with the 650. I did notice that cachemate is more stable on the 755p than the 650, mainly due to memory issues. I had constant crashed from the 650 when I had cachemate installed and had more than 100 or so caches in it, with very few logs. Anyone have any suggestions?

I too do not care for Cachemate. I tried it out, even made the payment because it is a good program. My problem is that it is a very right handed program, and I am left handed.

So I use the SunriseXP Desktop and Plucker Reader. But to organize everything in the beginning I use GASK.

Just my two cents, but it works for me.

Same here. I had the Cachemate demo, but I was in a hurry to start using my Palm, so I skipped buying Cachemate, and used the free stuff I could download and go with, and just liked it so much I never went back to buy Cachemate. I'm also Left-Handed, so hearing that makes me think even if I did get Cachemate I probably wouldn't like it for the reasons you mention.

I like it mostly for looking like a normal cache page. Cachemate had the data separated and you needed the stylus a lot, with plucker I can scroll up/down with the hard buttons and not need the stylus until I search for another cache.

Edited by Airmapper