Caches along a route

HazelS

I've always done my caches along a route using Google Earth to create a KML file, and then use that to produce a PQ in a GPX file.

It's always been absolutely fine for what I need it for, but I am going Daarn Saaarf a lot, and Google Earth sends me an odd way...

Now then... what I need.... is for some clever person to tell me how I can alter Google Earh's route (in words of less than 3 syllabuls, using everyday language, not techy talk)

OR:

For some kind person to do a fool's guide to Polygon whatsits using GSAK...

Anyone up for the challenge???

Edited by HazelS

Create a series of smaller kml files for the route you actually want. Open them in notepad and copy the contents between the 'coordinates' tags of each file into a single file.

Save this file and open it in google earth to see it it looks right.

I had to do this for a route to Harwich as GE wanted to send us via the M25 instead of the A14 :)

Edit: minor typos

Edited by Delta68

I use Polygon search a lot, it's great.

Draw a Route in Memory Map, make it a closed route (in other words, a polygon!) Obviously, whatever is inside the polygon is what you'll get caches for. Right click the route, and Save it. I always save it on my desktop and call it DELETE.GPX and overwrite it each time to save clutter (see, organised me!)

Then just go into GSAK and Search/Filter/Arc-Poly. Suck DELETE.GPX in, and you're done. You can filter out Found caches if you like, or whatever.

Very quick and easy!!

If I was going to a camping event, in, say, The Forest Of Dean, I'd draw a shape all along the M6 and M5 from Chorley, to Gloucestershire, and then do a big blob around the camping event, and then back up the motorway. That way, it'd cover me for the event, and all Motorway Mayhem caches to/from the bash.

Edited by PopUpPirate

If I was going to a camping event, in, say, The Forest Of Dean, I'd draw a shape all along the M6 and M5 from Chorley, to Gloucestershire, and then do a big blob around the camping event, and then back up the motorway. That way, it'd cover me for the event, and all Motorway Mayhem caches to/from the bash.

Thanks for the plug ;):D:ph34r::(

ahh

So I'd still have to do "caches along a route?"

For those of you that know the area... the caches along a route wants me to go East all the way to the M6 from Wirral, instead of going South through Cheshire to hit the M6 much further south.

This knocks off around 40 miles from any trip Daarn Saaarf and so I want to be able to do caches on that route.

So far, I think Delta's idea is best - run a couple of Caches along a route PQ's - one from here to Crewe in Cheshire - close to where you hit the M6 and then from Crewe to wherever I'm going.

I wish it was simpler!!!

Something you might like to try:

1. Generate your route in Google Maps (not Google Earth!).

2. Drag the route to the way you want to go (yes, you you can do this!).

3. Click link to this page in the top right hand corner and copy the URL ("Paste link in email or url" box).

4. Add to the end of the url &output=kml

5. Save to disk and try that kml.

Philip

If you have a full UK database on GSAK, and if you can select some caches along your route (this is the real reason for having Motorway Mayhem etc, caches :rolleyes: ), then you can search on Arc/Poly selecting Arc and the required distance each side of your route (eg. 5miles ) ie. you don't need a closed polygon to define your route. This way, if you have a laptop and no internet connection you can pick another route for your journey home.

I now use the way Mongers suggested - fab route planner as you can change the route to suit.

That must have been a private suggestion ;) cos I can't see any official Mongers recommendation on this thread! :) Seriously tho' - what was Monger's tip top top tip?

Oh sorry Scott... I was being Blonde....

This Fab Site is what I use to do my planning now!

There is now a GSAK web site (beta) for drawing routes or polygon shapes on a Google map.

You can use what you draw to create filters in GSAK, or PQs of caches along a route on geocaching.com, etc.

You don't need to have GSAK to use it (unless you want to use its output in GSAK of course).

See this topic on the GSAK forum for details:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8566

Edited by BandMandAandA