Best city in America for Geocaching

Suppose your spouse said to you, "I've got frequent flyer miles that are going to expire if I don't use them, why don't you use them go out to California and go geocaching with your brother". Now, I love my brother but a trip to California would use up a couple of days just for travel (I suppose I could take a red eye one direction) so I was thinking "where could I go for a weekend of geocaching." So where would *you* go?

I would probably want to be someplace I hadn't been to before, and of course in a State in which I hadn't found any geocaches. While I generally don't go after numbers I would want someplace that had a decent size airport so I could get there easily, and had a good mix of quick finds and interesting caches in interesting locations. I wouldn't want some place too rural as I'd only have a couple of days to go caching would probably not make any long hikes to find a cache. I also would want to go someplace that had lots of caches, but were mostly lamp post and guardrail micros.

My first thought was Nashville so I could go find "The Key to the Cryptonomicon" (I solved the puzzle awhile back but the cache is 700 miles away.

For those that have geocached in lots of different places where would *you* go?

I'd go to New Mexico...

Once I got bored geocaching, I'd buy fireworks in Lordsburg and blow stuff up. :)

... But I don't expect anyone to take my advice, ever. :huh:

[Potty language modified by moderator. Don't use potty language, or rely on the forum filter to edit it into cute little stars for you.]

Edited by Keystone

To be honest, my own backyard seem to be very diverse and one of the Best Cities for overall caching. So I would have to say Chicago.

Now, two other areas I have cached, New Hampshire and San Antonio, were also rich with some pretty cool targets. So we'll call them #2 and #3 respectively.

Yeah, Vegas is amazing. I try to get there once every year or so to cache benchmark... excellent hunting, especially an hour or two's drive outside the city core.

The area around Palm Springs CA was an incredible terrain for a Wolf Pack geo-hunt for three of us from Alaska about a year ago - we went urban to desert and back again in just a few miles of travel from the airport. Over the course of three days we went from Joshua Tree National Park (earthcaches!) to the California beaches (earthcaches again!), with a grand tour of a slot canyon complex in the middle (Ladder Canyon cache...).

However (and yes my partiality is showing...) I'd recommend Anchorage Alaska. Cache density is extremely high across both the 'urban' portion of the city as well as in the neighboring mountains (Check out caching in the 99503 zip code... a 500-cache pocket query won't even get you near leaving the city limits!). Caches range from evil micro hides to ammocans at some of the most gorgeous scenic vistas you'd ever imagine, with excellent earthcaches scattered around the city and beyond. Our park and trail system is extensive and very cacher-friendly - Kincaid Park (right next to the airport!) alone has over 1400 acres of trail-laced wildlands and several dozen caches scattered about. Moose density about matches cache density (again, highest in the state right here in town) so your chance of running into members of the original Moose Mob are very very good. The airport is known as the 'Air Crossroads of the World' - meaning lots and lots of flights per hour from all over the place passing through here. Best of all, the local cachers love to meet up with visitors (by prearrangement) and show off their hometown - we've had some great 'intensive hunts' with visitors over the past few years... such as a 'Max B on the River' TB expedition from Michigan, and several rounds of 'Alaska Cache'N'Dash' missions (hosted by the hospitable CENT5 out of Seattle WA, with folks such as Moun10Bike along for the fun).

Anchorage Alaska - try it on for size!

I will make a case for my town, Birmingham Alabama!

Start with a search of 35210.

Thousands of caches of every description in every kind of location. Urban. State Parks. Lakes. Wildlife Management Areas. Miles and miles of forest where you will see everything from rabbit to deer and turkey to bear (yep, bears! Not many, but we got 'em). Caches in the seriously up-scale Mountain Brook suburbs ($5M mansions) to the most redneck (think Deliverance!) of rural Southern Culture ($200. trailers patched together with cardboard and duct tape).

A large and active geocaching community online and off (DixieCachers.com).

Every kind of overnight facility from an air mattress on my living room floor to swank hotels to beautiful woodland lakeside camp-grounds.

An ethical and self-policing community - the percentage of caches hidden without permission in places that really need it is quite low compared to many areas I have cached!

Every kind of terrain and topography - easy walks on paved trails to rugged 12-mile mountaintop multis.

Caches for every liking - evil micros that few find without help to nicely-stocked ammo cans for kids. Waterfalls and scenic views. Historical sights. You name it we have it!

And - did I mention that we have a wonderful caching community!? Attend an event while you are here.

Need a phone-a-friend because your car broke down or you can't find a cache? We have an extensive statewide phone-a-friend network.

Want five or six nice caches in cool places that you will always remember? Want 100 caches in a fast-paced day of excitement and laughter? We have both!

Want company while you cache? Post on DixieCachers.com that you are coming to town, you will find all sorts of great folks to cache with.

Don't want to rent a car, or just want to come here and see the best of what we have to offer? Call me or one of many of us that enjoy tour-guiding travelers, we'll be glad to take you around!

Y'all come,

Ed

205-914-6814

Vegas, caching during the day and shows at night. Drive 45 to 60 minutes outside of Vegas and the desert and mountains are amazing.

And if you time it right, you may catch someone from NGA that is headed out into the desert to explore ghost towns..

Edited by Moose Mob

I've cached in Nashville, Birmingham, and Anchorage :ph34r: , as well as many other areas, and I still prefer my home, the Seattle area. Incredible cache density and huge variety of interesting caches of all types - traditionals, clever multis and puzzles, even some cool micros, and earthcaches - something for everyone. In the summer, the temperatures are moderate, and in the winter, we have snowshoe and ski caches in the mountains. (OK, there's some precipitation, too, but that creates the lush vegetation and snow.)

For those who love scenic vistas and the great outdoors, this is nirvana. Seattle is a lovely city, and we have two major mountain ranges (Cascades, Olympics), lots of water (ocean, lakes, rivers), and islands (including the San Juans and Whidbey, site of our most famous scenic cache, Ebey Bluff). All filled with caches.

Not to mention we have Groundspeak HQ and the APE cache. Plus, it's three hours south to Portland and the Original Stash Tribute Plaque, or two hours north to Canada and the caching wonders of Vancouver and Victoria (actually, all of Vancouver Island).

To get a sense of the incredible cache bounty here, check out the NW Classics bookmark list. Oh, and I mustn't forget our famous Cache Machines, held 2-3 times a year. Last weekend, we had one in Yakima that drew folks from five states and Canada.

Plus an incredibly friendly, fun geocaching community that hosts lots of events and welcomes fellow geocachers with open arms (post in the NW Forums, and you'll get advice, offers to go caching with you, even meet-n-greet events).

Finally, your honor, I will note that the Seattle area is a Destination Trip for many cachers, for the reasons cited above. Just ask Team Shydog (Indiana, who called this his "wow" tour) or sTeamTraen (France), or any of the other dozens of cachers who've visited us.

I rest my case. :(

Edited by hydnsek

Vegas, caching during the day and shows at night. Drive 45 to 60 minutes outside of Vegas and the desert and mountains are amazing.

And if you time it right, you may catch someone from NGA that is headed out into the desert to explore ghost towns..

Just don't do it in August. unless you like the heat.

Suppose your spouse said to you, "I've got frequent flyer miles that are going to expire if I don't use them, why don't you use them go out to California and go geocaching with your brother". Now, I love my brother but a trip to California would use up a couple of days just for travel (I suppose I could take a red eye one direction) so I was thinking "where could I go for a weekend of geocaching." So where would *you* go?

Doesn't matter where you go. Your wife is just trying to get rid of you for a while. Wonder what she has planned for while you're gone............. :ph34r:

Fairport, NY look at google maps. :ph34r:

Don't need to. It's only about two hours northwest of where I live. I've driven through just south of it.

As much as I'd love to go to Anchorage, if I booked a flight there my wife would want *my* frequent flyer miles show she could come along. It's a bit far for a weekend trip.

Birmingham sounds really interesting and is likely going to be warmer than Chicago if I travel in the next month or so. I've never been to Alabama (one of the few Southern states I've never visited...Mississippi is the other). It looks like it would be just over four hours travel time each way (not counting an hour drive to the airport) with some reasonable departure and arrival times.

I've had layovers in Chicago many times but never actually been outside of the airport and it's someplace I'd like to visit so I wouldn't count it out either.

I had actually considered Seattle (and I have relatives on the Olympic peninsula) but it's a bit further than I'd want to go for a long weekend.

I really have never had any desire to visit Las Vegas.

Fairport, NY look at google maps. :ph34r:

Don't need to. It's only about two hours northwest of where I live. I've driven through just south of it.

As much as I'd love to go to Anchorage, if I booked a flight there my wife would want *my* frequent flyer miles show she could come along. It's a bit far for a weekend trip.

Birmingham sounds really interesting and is likely going to be warmer than Chicago if I travel in the next month or so. I've never been to Alabama (one of the few Southern states I've never visited...Mississippi is the other). It looks like it would be just over four hours travel time each way (not counting an hour drive to the airport) with some reasonable departure and arrival times.

I've had layovers in Chicago many times but never actually been outside of the airport and it's someplace I'd like to visit so I wouldn't count it out either.

I had actually considered Seattle (and I have relatives on the Olympic peninsula) but it's a bit further than I'd want to go for a long weekend.

If you want to spend a long caching weekend, come to NJ and save the frequent flyer miles. The variety of caches here is outstanding. Urban, suburban, puzzles, long hikes, paddle caches, challenging terrain, historic sites, beautiful views, interesting geological formations, we have it all. Well almost. The one thing we are missing so far are scads of lame caches in strip malls and big box store parking lots. Heck, the LPC here is still considered devious hide. If you are looking to rack up 50 finds a day consider someplace else, but if you are looking for a variety of caches in offbeat, scenic or historic spots come to Weird New Jersey.

Edited by briansnat

We think Palm Springs CA (our territory) is a great place to cache in California. We have the luxury of having unsual caches in the desert, good urban caches in town and 4x4 caches and hiking caches. We have many pieces of art, (with caches near) great places tourists are interested in (with caches near) and shopping and resturants (with caches near)

There are plenty of earth caches in Joshua Tree National Park an hour away, and caches on the top of the Tram in Palm Springs.

After all, we are a bit prejudiced, but we think all the Palm Springs Geocachers TRY HARDER! :ph34r:

Washington D.C. is fine caching destination for a weekend.

The key is to stay somewhere within walking/cab distance of a Metro station so you can take public transportation into town and then walk, because parking around the Mall is either impossible or outrageously expensive. You can find a bunch of virtuals and enjoy the Mall sightseeing. A half day across the river at Arlington National cemetery and 1 and a half days on the Mall - a really nice weekend of geocaching, and unlike anything else in the country. If you run out of caches ;) I hear some of the museums would be worth entering......

In Vegas's defense. I used to absolutely hate going there until I started caching. I live 400 miles away and always avoided it as much as possible (work and family forces me there from time to time). Along with many others, I really hate the underworld sleaze factor of the strip. Anyhoo, Vegas is one of the funnest caching areas I've been to. In 20 minutes (ok maybe 30-40 depending on traffic) from the airport you can be up in the mountians or out in the desert, away from the city. It's great, and actually the urban caching is pretty good too. There are actually quite a few interesting urban ammo can's which is rare anywhere in an urban setting. Just avoid it from June-Sept. The heat is miserable!

I'd have to say Lake Tahoe is my other favorite area to cache but you still have another month or so until the snow melts!

I will make a case for my town, Birmingham Alabama!

Start with a search of 35210.

Thousands of caches of every description in every kind of location. Urban. State Parks. Lakes. Wildlife Management Areas. Miles and miles of forest where you will see everything from rabbit to deer and turkey to bear (yep, bears! Not many, but we got 'em). Caches in the seriously up-scale Mountain Brook suburbs ($5M mansions) to the most redneck (think Deliverance!) of rural Southern Culture ($200. trailers patched together with cardboard and duct tape).

A large and active geocaching community online and off (DixieCachers.com).

Every kind of overnight facility from an air mattress on my living room floor to swank hotels to beautiful woodland lakeside camp-grounds.

An ethical and self-policing community - the percentage of caches hidden without permission in places that really need it is quite low compared to many areas I have cached!

Every kind of terrain and topography - easy walks on paved trails to rugged 12-mile mountaintop multis.

Caches for every liking - evil micros that few find without help to nicely-stocked ammo cans for kids. Waterfalls and scenic views. Historical sights. You name it we have it!

And - did I mention that we have a wonderful caching community!? Attend an event while you are here.

Need a phone-a-friend because your car broke down or you can't find a cache? We have an extensive statewide phone-a-friend network.

Want five or six nice caches in cool places that you will always remember? Want 100 caches in a fast-paced day of excitement and laughter? We have both!

Want company while you cache? Post on DixieCachers.com that you are coming to town, you will find all sorts of great folks to cache with.

Don't want to rent a car, or just want to come here and see the best of what we have to offer? Call me or one of many of us that enjoy tour-guiding travelers, we'll be glad to take you around!

Y'all come,

Ed

205-914-6814

You've probably just described every major metropolitan area in the country, including where I am from, the Twin Cities in Minnesota. We've got basically everything except high altitude mountains.

San Diego . . . ;)

The airport is right downtown and within a few miles of the airport, there are thousands of caches. Plus, there is the Southern California weather. ;)

If you like puzzle caches, then this is the place. There are some very smart "puzzle people" here who have created some of the most fun, challenging puzzles you'll ever find. Do a PQ of just the "Unknown Caches" for zipcode 92101. ;)

If you like to hike, then I've got some of those for you as well. ;)

San Diego . . . ;)

The airport is right downtown and within a few miles of the airport, there are thousands of caches. Plus, there is the Southern California weather. ;)

If you like puzzle caches, then this is the place. There are some very smart "puzzle people" here who have created some of the most fun, challenging puzzles you'll ever find. Do a PQ of just the "Unknown Caches" for zipcode 92101. ;)

If you like to hike, then I've got some of those for you as well. ;)

That's great to know. The folks from up here who were down for the big event last year came back with the impression it was all micros 20 feet from the car; they were a bit disappointed. Now that I know differently, I may have to come down for a visit with some good friends! ;)

I can only think of two awesome places to cache:

Wherever you are and wherever currently has good weather.

The idea is to travel somewhere new to go geocaching. Besides, I've found all but 2 of the geocaches within 10 miles of home and once the weather improves I'll get to those and lots of others within an hours drive.

To comment on some of the other suggestions.

New Jersey. It's about a four hour drive away but I was thinking of combining some New Jersey caches with a four day weekend drive through New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and back to NY some time later this summer. I;ll no doubt get to New Jersey sooner or later for some caching as I know some sea kayakers down that way that I haven't seen in awhile.

Palm Springs/San Diego; They both sound like nice places but are a bit far for a 3 day weekend. If I am going to fly to California, I might as well go visit my brother in the Sacramento area and go caching with him. I was there last August and introduced him to geocaching. He got a GPS for Christmas and already has 150 finds and a dozen hides.

Vegas: Okay, I'm getting convinced that it might be a great place to go geocaching. I just can't imagine convincing my wife about going to Vegas just so I can go geocaching. It's also a bit too far for a 3 day weekend.

Washington D.C.: I've quite familiar with the area as I worked on a project with the USDA for several years and traveled there on business 3-4 times a year. I haven't been there since I've been there since I've been geocaching but my wife has cousins there so it's likely a place we'll visit anyway in the near future.

Twin Cities: I'll be in St. Paul next month for business for four days and plan on spending an afternoon caching the day I arrive. I've even got a King Boreas 1000th hide geocoin I'll be bringing along that originated in Utah and has never been to the twin cities.

Colorado: I love Colorado and although I was in Denver last summer for business I had very little time for geocaching but managed to get up at 6:00am one morning and hop on a transit bus to a spot which had a cache with room for TBs I brought along, then back in time for 8:00am meetings. If I went back I wouldn't want to spend much time in Denver though. I spent 5 weeks in Summit County in the heart of winter about 30 years ago.

I considered Charleston, SC because I'd also like to check it out as a possible vacation destination but it seems to have a pretty low cache density.

I would probably want to be someplace I hadn't been to before, and of course in a State in which I hadn't found any geocaches. While I generally don't go after numbers I would want someplace that had a decent size airport so I could get there easily, and had a good mix of quick finds and interesting caches in interesting locations. I wouldn't want some place too rural as I'd only have a couple of days to go caching would probably not make any long hikes to find a cache. I also would want to go someplace that had lots of caches, but were mostly lamp post and guardrail micros.

My first thought was Nashville so I could go find "The Key to the Cryptonomicon" (I solved the puzzle awhile back but the cache is 700 miles away.

For those that have geocached in lots of different places where would *you* go?

I love geocaching in Northern California (Silicon Valley)... but if presented with this situation, I would fly to Portland Oregon and visit the "Original Cache Stash"... You would be able to visit lots of caches AND you will be so close to Washington, you could catch a few caches in Washington before heading back to the airport.

I was lucky enough to live this crazy trip this year with my college buddy who introduced me to geocaching.

How do the Florida Keys measure up? :laughing: I'm going vacationing for a week there in May! :P

Somewhere in Florida certainly crossed my mind. I've done a bit of kayaking in the keys but have never been further south than Indian Key. I can't really justify going for more than a 3 day weekend since I'm already going to be taking a week off in about a week and a half for a vacation in the Outer Banks, then coming home for a week and leaving for 5 days for a conference in St. Paul. I'm thinking of doing something the second week in May or so.

I love geocaching in Northern California (Silicon Valley)... but if presented with this situation, I would fly to Portland Oregon and visit the "Original Cache Stash"... You would be able to visit lots of caches AND you will be so close to Washington, you could catch a few caches in Washington before heading back to the airport.

I was lucky enough to live this crazy trip this year with my college buddy who introduced me to geocaching.

I live in/near Silicon Valley for 40 years, moved to upstate NY about 13 years ago and don't especially have a desire to go back. While living in San Jose took a similar crazy trip but didn't turn around until I was in Port Alberni on Vancouver Island.

I live in/near Silicon Valley for 40 years, moved to upstate NY about 13 years ago and don't especially have a desire to go back. While living in San Jose took a similar crazy trip but didn't turn around until I was in Port Alberni on Vancouver Island.

I hope you had as much fun on your trip as we had on ours. We only had 24 hours to get there and get back. We had lots of fun, laughs, and memories. I'm trying to do The Four Corners this summer (Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona).

I hope you have a great time when you go - and you let us know where you decide to go. Happy Caching!!

The Florida Keys are a great vacation spot, not especially cache dense. Key West has a bunch of caches for a small town.

Late May is well into the summer heat for a Florida trip.

That said, Lakeland offers both numbers and variety. You could fly into either Tampa or Orlando, which ever offered more convenience - either way, then drive up/down I-4 to Lakeland.

Numbers on the main drag U.S. 98, interesting stuff in the old and handsome part of town. Some "walk in the park" stuff,

central lakeland google cache map

and of course, NW of town, the easy series. Many folks come to Lakeland to do a 100 cache run.

Nice hiking caches NW of town in the Green Swamp as well as south in some large preserves, a few paddle caches around, though this isn't where I'd go to paddle Florida. I think May is too late in the season for an out of state cacher to enjoy the swamp caches. Some hard core locals will be working that stuff into mid June, but it's hot and buggy and wet....

What about Orlando Florida - central Florida actually - seems a lot of folks come to visit us from other countries and US states - perhaps it's Mickey they actually come for and just say it's for the Caches...lol

Seems like everywhere we go there's Caches to do - life is good! :D

Edited by Flatouts

If you want to get in shape WHILE caching, come up here to Pittsburg, PA. we got a few going down the mountain, up the mountain, in the mountain, around the mountain, whatever your desire. Did i mention the mountains?

Not just that, but on your way to Pittsburgh, you pass a small town called Moon Township, where there is a small park with 7 caches (four mine, one's a puzzle), one near your local Kmart, one near a graveyard, most near the airport.

We also got a nice LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG bike trail with a number of caches on it, most from the Leps. actually, the Leps have a heck of a lot of caches around here, a lot of them very devious, one of which took me 2 years to find (that's how long i've been caching)

There's at least 60 caches around Pittsburgh, and 146 more (that includes the 60)

The Florida Keys are a great vacation spot, not especially cache dense. Key West has a bunch of caches for a small town.

Late May is well into the summer heat for a Florida trip.

That said, Lakeland offers both numbers and variety. You could fly into either Tampa or Orlando, which ever offered more convenience - either way, then drive up/down I-4 to Lakeland.

Numbers on the main drag U.S. 98, interesting stuff in the old and handsome part of town. Some "walk in the park" stuff,

central lakeland google cache map

and of course, NW of town, the easy series. Many folks come to Lakeland to do a 100 cache run.

Nice hiking caches NW of town in the Green Swamp as well as south in some large preserves, a few paddle caches around, though this isn't where I'd go to paddle Florida. I think May is too late in the season for an out of state cacher to enjoy the swamp caches. Some hard core locals will be working that stuff into mid June, but it's hot and buggy and wet....

Flying into Baltimore on May 9, joining up with sibling cachers American Peasant and the Brother, and making a crazy 800 mile drive to St. Augustine, then a day or two later, moving on to the Keys. Maybe camp at Dry Tortuga State Park off the coast. :D So I imagine there'll be a lot of opportunity to pick off caches in the southern states as we drive, even if just PNGs at rest stops!

Man, I can't wait.

St George, Utah.

It's warm weather, not too far from Vegas if you want to go there, a lot of people fly into Vegas and drive up to St George, there's ATON of fun urban caches if that's what you like, if you're a numbers person it would be pretty easy to get a couple hundred finds on a weekend... or more. If you're not after the numbers there are some AMAZING things to see in the area, some gorgeous national parks and state parks... It's a great choice, the Salt Lake/Provo area would be great too as long as it's not winter.

There's somethign like 400 caches within a 12 mile radius of my house in sub-suburban santa cruz county in coastal central california. there's many 1000s more in a wider radius.. I've been casually caching a couple weeks now and found 30 or so. I suspect the greater SF Bay Area (of which I'm towards the southern extreme) likely has one of the highest density of caches anywhere.