Picture question?

I have been researching caches in Tuscaloosa Alabama for an up coming trip and noticed that none of them have a "Gallery".

How many of you take pictures of your finds?

Is it a regional thing? Most of the caches around Baton Rouge have lots of photos.

Depends on the cacher. If the area is something beautiful or memorable, i will use my cell phone camera to take a picture and add it to my log entry.

I don't see any reason to think it's regional, more likely just the interest factor and if anything noteworthy happened.

I LOVE to take pictures whilst caching but many times I don't figure they are relevant enough to publish or they just aren't that good. Then too, most caches (I have found) have nothing especially picture worthy in and of themselves so if pictures are taken they are coincidental, not necessarily cache related.

When I log online, I often DO add pictures. But that's just me.

I know of several cachers that post pix to every cache they log.

And I never cache without my camera. I'm a picture taking fool, and post them by the dozems. Check out my profile, or if you just want the highlights, visit my webshots pages:

http://community.webshots.com/user/tmcummings

A short while ago, I broke my camera in a fall while caching. and tho I couldn't really much afford to replace it, I promptly found that caching without it wasn't half as much fun. When I came upon a hawk or jumped a deer in the woods, all I could do was lament the lack of a camera. So I fixed that with my Mastercard and was rewarded with lion, tigers, loon, grebes, tons of deer and a very wet young bald eagle who is currently showing on the gc.com front page banner rotation (priceless).

I carry a camera too and post a lot of photos generally - if the site/cache warrants it.

I don't do many park and grab urban caches, so I think I likely have a high find-to-picture ratio.

I'm guessing that what you are seeing has more to do with the caches than the cachers.

CJ and I take our cameras everywhere.

Unfortunately, some caches don't have the views or scenes we'd like to capture.

The urban cache is sometimes problematic... Do you really want a pic of the homeless guy resting near the cache ? Pics of the syringes at GZ are sure to generate interest.

Often we have a great time out, but nothing really grabbed us a Kodak moment.

Sometimes, just a pic of a park sign/entrance is enough for other folks to get interested in a spot.

Since I do a lot of 4+ caches, the possibility of a spoiler comes into play. We send pics to the CO and ask for permission on those.

The photography aspect of geocaching is the most enjoyable for me.

I don't post a photo to every cache I find, but I do for a good percentage. I think I've become a better photographer as a result, and I've certainly learned a lot more about our local plants and critters.

I was looking around the site the other day and saw someone with *hundreds* of finds and not a single photo in their gallery...that seems pretty remarkable.

I have been researching caches in Tuscaloosa Alabama for an up coming trip and noticed that none of them have a "Gallery".

How many of you take pictures of your finds?

Is it a regional thing? Most of the caches around Baton Rouge have lots of photos.

Aloha Pat in LA!

I don't think no photos on a cache page is a regional thing but it "could be" a clue to a few things about the cache.

1. It's not a particularly scenic cache location.

2. It could be that it is not a cache that groups/families seek out as these seem to be the most prolific photo posters.

3. If it is older than a year and still has no photos.. it might be a good indicator that it might be one that you might want to skip. This is not 100% but it is something I look at.

4. It could be that there is something about the cache that the hider wanted you to experience first hand and he or she has deleted photos or asked that they not be posted.

4. If it is in an urban area.. it could be a lamp post hide or guardrail if it is in an area where this type of feature is used.