Odd Finds When Caching?

New to the hobby, 16 finds to my name at the moment.

Went out Friday morning before work and find a great cache, along with a deceased black lab. :)

Think to myself, odd... but I guess I'm "in the boonies" where people might dump such a thing.

Head back out Saturday, found another great cache, along with a deceased yellow lab. :huh:

Is this common?

Do you post this info in the log to warn people that may be sensitive to such 'finds'?

Hopefully my 'luck' doesn't get any worse, not the most pleasant way to end a journey.

This topic might fit better under, 'the hunt, the unusual.'

It's not unusual to find oddities while out caching. I think two dead dogs is strange, but you should expect to find/see some different things. After all, you are out and about.

Recently, I found a bong, water pipe for marijauna, right near the cache. I've also come across persons engaged in 'adult activities.' I even encountered a naked hiker.

These experiences just add to novelty of caching. :)

So...just because I want to know :)

What caches were they that you went after and found those...considering that you are close to my area of the state...especially considering the caches you have found are within 25 minutes of me :huh:

Again...just curious...

PS...you should come out to a local event some time and meet some of you fellow cachers in SE MN ;)

I even encountered a naked hiker.

Edited by Ljay

lol i'm going to hell cos i find this hillarious... worst i've ever found is good xcuses to CITO.

You're not going to hell. When I tell the story, I'm usually laughing. At the time, I was speechless. :)

Went out Friday morning before work and find a great cache, along with a deceased black lab. :)

Think to myself, odd... but I guess I'm "in the boonies" where people might dump such a thing.

Head back out Saturday, found another great cache, along with a deceased yellow lab. :huh:

Is this common?

Do you post this info in the log to warn people that may be sensitive to such 'finds'?

Hopefully my 'luck' doesn't get any worse, not the most pleasant way to end a journey.

i hope you don't start finding dead human bodies!! ;)

I know certain people who truly enjoy hiking naked.

Not something I'd up for, but to each their own.

They say that it gives them the experience of being "closer" to nature. They're also very adamant about doing it in very remote areas, so not to scare any unsuspecting hikers. :huh:

Seems you're off to a great start finding 2 dead dogs already, with only 16 finds!

Welcome to Caching in Minnesota. :)

The worst thing I have come across while caching was human feces. It was about 15-20 feet away from the cache.

I've found it much closer to the cache than that! :ph34r:

Back on topic, though... were these two caches (where you found the dogs) in the same area? It could be possible that somebody is dumping off carcasses in places where they don't think they'll be found. When cleaning up a roadside area in Jackson, MS, we came across at least a dozen carcasses that (it turned out) had been dumped by a nearby shelter that just didn't want to deal with them. That's both sad and disgusting.

I recall a thread here about someone who found a large dead dog right on top of the cache. Turns out that the dog had been buried by its owner on a cliff above the cache, the was probably dug up by another animal then fell off the cliff onto the cache.

I recall the person who found it was pretty upset. He seemed to think a geocacher did it.

The worst thing I have come across while caching was human feces. It was about 15-20 feet away from the cache.

I found a cache with feces IN the cache. To make matters worse there was another cacher at there wiping them off the log book so he could sign it. When he offered me the log book I just shook my head no. I didn't need a smiley that badly! :ph34r:

I recall a thread here about someone who found a large dead dog right on top of the cache. Turns out that the dog had been buried by its owner on a cliff above the cache, the was probably dug up by another animal then fell off the cliff onto the cache.

I recall the person who found it was pretty upset. He seemed to think a geocacher did it.

Sure... blame the geocacher. We all know global warming did it.

Went out Friday morning before work and find a great cache, along with a deceased black lab. :laughing:

Head back out Saturday, found another great cache, along with a deceased yellow lab. :P

Is this common?

Adam and I had to walk down a long, long trail one time to get to a cache. We found alot of animal bones along the way. Very creepy!

Well, personally I would be very sad at finding a dead dog near a cache, so I would prefer if you recorded it in your log so that we would know not to go there. Also I would suggest emailing the cache owner and letting them know, as they may want to arrange for the pets to be removed from the sites and buried appropriately (They may not care, I guess, but I think at least you should let them know.)

Also imagine if a family found those caches - I didn't look them up, so I don't know if they are places families would cache, but all the same, not a very nice find with your kids with you.

Annie

A dead dog - about 2/3 decomposed - right at the cache site

A dead cat - just starting to swell up - right at the cache site

A dead deer - really nasty smell - at the parking spot nearest to the cache

A pile of deer bones - very near the cache site

A dead possum - freshly killed - very near the cache site

I've also encountered strange people with lights on their heads, in their hands, or both, and some sort of weird device in one hand. They were at the cache site, very near the cache site, and pretty far off from the cache site. They were jabbering in some weird kind of code about things like "muggles", "Garmin", "Magellan", "FTF", "$#@&^%& coordinates", etc. Really weird.......

I would say please add a note to the log if you encounter anything that could be traumatic for our youngest geocachers (or even our older). I think if my family had come accross the dead dogs, it would have been a long time if ever before I could get them to go back out again. The worse we have encountered was a road kill on the side of the road near a cache, but my 13 year old wasn't bothered by that, so I let him make the grab while I stayed in the van with my 5 year old daughter that is highly sensative to even road kill (and we left a log on the note as to what we found).

well thats the thing about the outdoors - noone tends to clean up!

I have found a wide variety of weird things in the last year alone, such as a dead human, a multitude of dead animals, i had a ufo sighting, a naked lady running through the woods, and a "snowman" made of distcarded nastiness

Outside is different then inside.. i like it better too :D

Note to self: Never cache with Juicepig!!!

We found a dead dog near a roadside cache. I can understand a roadkill dog, but this was partially enclosed in a plastic bag. There are better ways to take care of a deceased animal.

We haven't found so many odd things, but I am continuously amazed at all the discarded furniture, appliances, old roofing material, rotting clothes, and other trash that people dump. I have a few words to describe the dumpers, but this is a family site.

Strangely enough, I was out today at a local park. While in route to the cache, I saw a log.... with duct tape. It was out-of-place enough for me to snap this picture:

strange_vandalism.jpg

I marked it up to "strange vandalism"

You sure it wasn't the cache? :laughing:

Indeed - the real cache was about 20 feet away from it *laughs*... trust me, at first it was sooo out of place I thought it may be the cache but my GPS said otherwise. What the picture fails to show you is that this log was about 5 foot long LOL

Edited by Carbon_n_kids