found; lost general

Wow, that's an odd place to find a travel bug!

Thanks for checking in, you'll want to view the travel bug section at:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugs.aspx

If you're not interested in getting into geocaching then perhaps there is someone close by you that can place the 'bug' in a cache and let it continue it's journey. If you ARE interested, you can find caches near you where you can drop it off by going here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Edited by XopherN71

Okay. THAT is an interesting one.

Welll, Geocaching is a GPS game. If you have a GPS, then you can go find a cache close to you to drop the General in, then go find 37 more. Welcome to the addiction.

If you don't have a GPS, then you go buy one, so you can find a local cache for the General to go to, then go find 37 more, welcome to the addiction.

If buying a GPS is not presently a viable option, or you find yourself completely uninterested in romping about the woods looking for tupperware, please see if you can find a local cacher who will take the General off your hands.

the best way to find a local cacher, is run a cache search in your zip code, and find a few placed by the same person, and contact them.

If you are unable to find a local cacher which you can give the General to, then contact a cacher on these forums and see if they would be willing to let you ship the General to them.

Also, make sure to log the General:

On the Main Geocaching.com page, click "trackable items"

then enter the random squence of numbers from his dog tag in to the spot labeled "Enter the Geocoin or Travel Bug tracking number:"

Then in the top right corner you should find a button that says 'log your find'

i found a travel bug at 2nd hand store, it had all of it's tags ("don't take me...", "log me in...") so i purchased it. it's info got me here i am now a registered user. what now? where does this thing go? :)

Does the tag with the bug include the Name of the bug? Don't post the number from the Travel Bug Dog Tag here - that is a nono - but, if the bug has a name, it would be interesting to know what it is. Heck, it could be one of my missing bugs...............

[Edit]

Oh, hmmmmmmmm....... perhaps the title of the post "lost general" already answers my question?

Edited by Thrak

Just wondering today's date is April 1st

Naw it wouldn't be an April Fools Joke, would it?

I thought that.

Oh, don't say that! I am hoping that somehow that is my poor little General, who wasn't exactly "lost" but has been in the hands of the same cachers since last September.

61566a4a-7243-4db6-b0b4-9390e60d2618.jpg

Edited by Neos2

i found a travel bug at 2nd hand store, it had all of it's tags ("don't take me...", "log me in...") so i purchased it. it's info got me here i am now a registered user. what now? where does this thing go? :laughing:

No April Fools joke. His name is General Speaky, he is a crafty little homemade guy. Thanks to everybody that replies. Another question; why no ID #s posted?

i found a travel bug at 2nd hand store, it had all of it's tags ("don't take me...", "log me in...") so i purchased it. it's info got me here i am now a registered user. what now? where does this thing go? :laughing:

No April Fools joke. His name is General Speaky, he is a crafty little homemade guy. Thanks to everybody that replies. Another question; why no ID #s posted?

The number from the travel tag is needed to log the TB. It's how you prove you have found it. If you post that online, then even people who haven't found it could post a found log for it.

And false logging is a big no-no that gets TBs locked out so no one can post found logs to them.

A "Muggle" is a non-geocacher. You don't want muggles to observe you retrieving a cache or returning a cache to its hiding place, in case their curiosity gets the best of them. Some might leave the cache; others might take or destroy it. :laughing:

You can put a Trackable in any cache large enough for it.

Those bowling pins with TB tags on them are a bit difficult to place . . . :P

There is a lost TB by the name of General Speaky, he's been MIA, last known location was near San Francisco in April 2007. Here is a link to his page (I hope) The General

How cool that you rescued him, but what a place to find him.

There is a lost TB by the name of General Speaky, he's been MIA, last known location was near San Francisco in April 2007. Here is a link to his page (I hope) The General

How cool that you rescued him, but what a place to find him.

Thank you to Dixiedawn, my little potholder is one and the same general. General Speaky will find a new cache to call home tomarrow

Wow, that's just crazy. Thanks for taking the time to come here and see what it's all about. Maybe we have a new geocacher in the making??

I'm guessing that this story will be mentioned on the boards for years to come....

Edited by PhxChem