Where do I go from my Garmin GPS V

Is anyone else in love with their GPS V? I love mine, but feel like more memory and color would be a nice touch. I think it's time to upgrade. Which way should I go. I'm definately a garmin fan. I love mine now because I :) can use it on the road just like a streetmap 330, etc., and also for the trails and especially the caching function.

Can someone help me?

Hey The Tool,

I know what you mean, since I also own a GPS V. Now for the heads up :huh: .

I recently bought a 60CSx and I just love it :) . How many ways could I tell you why, well the first biggie to me is the sensitivity of 60CSx it makes the GPS V look like a Neanderthal maybe like going from a model T to a GTO. Transition when moving the pointer on the screen to adjacent maps is very fast and smooth. The 60 CSx works very well in my car for traveling. I really like the color screen I could go on and on, but I won't. Believe me treat yourself to a new GPS like the 60CSx if you can, you gonna like it.

Good luck,

Jeff of Barefoot One & Wench

It's hard to find anyone else that has the GPS V. I just really like all the features on it. Is there really that much difference to justify the money? Or if I am dropping money anyways should I just go with a Colorado 400T and be done with it?

I obviously don't update these much as you can tell. Should I just go for it and enjoy the paperless methods also, or is the 60 going to give me everything I want and then more?

Thanks for you input.

It's hard to find anyone else that has the GPS V. I just really like all the features on it. Is there really that much difference to justify the money? Or if I am dropping money anyways should I just go with a Colorado 400T and be done with it?

I obviously don't update these much as you can tell. Should I just go for it and enjoy the paperless methods also, or is the 60 going to give me everything I want and then more?

Thanks for you input.

I think you'll be impress with any of the handheld models with color screen and the sensitive chipset. It's going to come down to how much you wanna spend.

I would consider them in this order (all have color screen and the sensitive switch):

Venture HC - has 24mb of memory; supports detailed maps but does not auto-route

Summit HC - adds electronic compass and altimeter to the Venture

60Cx - the "x" means it has external media slot and supports auto-routing

Legend HCx - same as 60Cx in the Etrex line-up, they have different chipsets, but final outcome is virtually the same

60CSx - Same as 60Cx and adds electronic compass and altimeter

Vista HCx - the Summit and Legend HCx put together

I didn't include the Colorados and 76 line-up.

The Garmins with external media slots (the "x"s) support customized POIs, which are essentially waypoints stored on the media card. Each waypoint holds a combined 132 characters of information. I have 15K waypoints in my Vista HCx that only take up about 2.5 mb on a 1gb card (You'll have to get GSAK to take full advantage of the space limitations.). I have detailed maps and Topo for the entire western USA with room to go east a little bit.

Edited by Chuy!

I feel for you!!! I can't give my V up. I ended up mounting it on my bicycle; no problem with its now-limited speed and coverage there.

I went to a Vista HCx. It seemed like the best choice at the time (Colorado wasn't out yet) for a unit that would work for me both on my motorcycle and on the trail. I haven't yet found any real value for the altimeter and compass, but the storage capacity of the micro SD cards is pretty important to me.

I didn't think I'd find any use for the auto-routing at first, but it saved my butt last week when I decided it would be a good idea to take a shortcut from Durbin to Elkins, WV, on forest services roads through Monongahela National Forest last week, and ended up getting lost at night. I pulled the HCx out of my pack, turned it on, and had it direct me to Elkins. Worked perfectly!

Hey The Tool,

I know what you mean, since I also own a GPS V. Now for the heads up :( .

I recently bought a 60CSx and I just love it :ph34r: . How many ways could I tell you why, well the first biggie to me is the sensitivity of 60CSx it makes the GPS V look like a Neanderthal maybe like going from a model T to a GTO. Transition when moving the pointer on the screen to adjacent maps is very fast and smooth. The 60 CSx works very well in my car for traveling. I really like the color screen I could go on and on, but I won't. Believe me treat yourself to a new GPS like the 60CSx if you can, you gonna like it.

Good luck,

Jeff of Barefoot One & Wench

Actually, this makes me feel good. I have a 60CSx on the way to replace my GPS V which I just can't trust anymore. The reception is far too unreliable for me to deal with. I recently, after having some issues and trying to test to see if they'd gone away, completely lost signal in the woods on a clear day with only a moderate canopy. I couldn't get it back until I was clear of the woods.

If it weren't for the technical issues, I'd probably wait for an upgrade. Luckily I got a great price on the 60CSx and am hoping it'll arrive in time for the weekend.

Renegade Knight uses a Garmin V and he keeps saying hes waiting for the GPS VI, lately he's told me hes now waiting for the GPS VII. He looked at the Colorado thinking it would be the replacement GPS, but he was disappointed with the display. I notice that he looks longingly at my 60CX, but he is to stubborn to admit that this is the replacement unit he really needs.

:ph34r:

I too had a V that replaced a III+. I then upgraded to the 60cs, I had a bad day and accidentily crushed the poor 60cs with a tire (forgot it was on hood of Jeep). So that brings me to my current unit of Colorado 400t. I find the color screen and autorouting as well as all of the other features to be of great help. I truley do love the V but the new is a better thing!

Is anyone else in love with their GPS V? I love mine, but feel like more memory and color would be a nice ...

Can someone help me?

The 60/76 color GPSs are nice, but they are not GPS V's. When they hit the bargain bin I may upgrade.

I thought the Colorado had potential but when I looked at it, it was a PITA to navigate, was missing screens that I use, and the screen itself was dissapointing. Great potential, crappy implementation. Like a lot of GPSs that are bringing in the next generation. I keep waiting for the GPS VI but Garmin isn't hearing the call in their design section.

Thus far nothing is worth the upgrade for me. However if I had to upgrade tomorrow because my GPS V died. I'd get a 60Cx or a 76Cx. The 76 you could potentially wedge between the windshield and dash for stability when driving and not having to keep cliping it into a holder. Not quite as good as the V's form factor but less work than a 60.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Is there anything in the works for a GPS VI? If I could just upgrade to the higher sensitivity and possibly color screen It would be perfect.

HEY GARMIN!!!!!! BUILD US A GPS V+ OR A GPS VI, CALL IT THE WYOMING OR INDIANA, WHO CARES JUST UPDATE THIS PLEASE OR I MAY HAVE TO START LOOKING AT THE MAGELLAN SITE!!!!