DNF logging etiquette

~Mark~

I log every time I have a DNF. I was reading some other topics that noted they looked for the cache a few times before they logged a DNF.

I thought that by not finding the cache and logging a DNF that you are actually helping the owner of the cache. If I have 2 DNF's on my cache I will make sure the cache didn't somehow grow legs.

After I log a DNF, I put a watch on that cache. As soon as I see someone has found the cache I am back out looking.

How do you handle DNF's?

I have a bookmark list of the caches I DNFd to let me know the ones I need to get back to. I don't wait til someone else found it, tho. I DNFd a cache two days in a row, and the owner went to check on it and found it missing. Made me feel better knowing it wasn't me :) I have gone back to the area once, but the muggles have chased me away so I haven't searched.

DNFs can help the owner, but they need to be taken with a grain of salt. I doubt anyone is "expert" enough that they only DNF on caches that are missing.

I log every time I have a DNF. I was reading some other topics that noted they looked for the cache a few times before they logged a DNF.

I thought that by not finding the cache and logging a DNF that you are actually helping the owner of the cache. If I have 2 DNF's on my cache I will make sure the cache didn't somehow grow legs.

After I log a DNF, I put a watch on that cache. As soon as I see someone has found the cache I am back out looking.

How do you handle DNF's?

I handle them basically the same as you do - if I looked for the cache and didn't find it I'll log a DNF to help the owner. Sometimes I put a watch on the cache if its local, but if I'm just traveling through I don't bother to watch it.

How do you handle DNF's?

I will usually only log a DNF if I gave the cache a good search or if I am not able to get to it the next day. Because the only way I give up is if I get interupted by muggles or mother nature or I have given it enough time to think it has gone missing or in some cases been moved.

Same as you. I DNF if I approach GZ and start looking. If I don't approach or don't look then maybe just a note.

Then I add it to my private "Try, Try again" bookmark list with notes as to what happened.

I usually don't log multiple DNF's for repeat trips, unless I give it a REALLY serious search or something else noteworth happens. Otherwise I just wait until I find it and note how many trips it took.

For me it's a DNF if I start the hunt and don't come up with the cache. When I key in the coordinates and hit GoTo on my GPS I have started the hunt.

Each unsuccessful visit will get its own log (unless it's multiple visits in the same day, which I will just combone in one log). There are caches that I have 5 or more DNF logs for.

OK, I am glad that I am not the only one doing this. I never thought of making a DNF bookmark list (GOINK!) I am going to go through my DNF's tonight, and make a bookmark and watch list.

I have gotten an e-mail about one that Z-Man and I looked for an hour and a half. The owner said it was missing, and there is a new one in it's place. Rain or shine I am going to get that one before Friday.

I have 3 more DNF's that I am seriously not sure if they are there or not. We spent a long LONG time looking for each one of them, so I am just sitting back waiting for a log to be posted one way or another.

I carry some bison tubes in my pocket and any time I can't find a cache I know it must have been muggled, because I have been at this game quite a while and if it was there I would have found it.

For urban cache sites carry a bit of camouflage-colored string to hang the tubes in a shrub or flower bed near where the cache used to be, in the woods you can hang them on a tree limb.

By replacing missing caches you do the owner a favor and save him a maintenance trip, plus anyone else that looks for the cache will have something to find.

There is never a good reason to file a DNF, just give the area a good look-over and if you don't see it, replace it.

Geocachers will thank you.

Same as you. I DNF if I approach GZ and start looking. If I don't approach or don't look then maybe just a note.

Then I add it to my private "Try, Try again" bookmark list with notes as to what happened.

I usually don't log multiple DNF's for repeat trips, unless I give it a REALLY serious search or something else noteworth happens. Otherwise I just wait until I find it and note how many trips it took.

I sometimes go back a few times before I log a DNF. Specially if the logs indicate a cache that is well hidden, I wouldn't want the cache owner to waste his time checking on a cache I could not find because of my inexperience. But if I see DNFs already posted (I still give it a good search) I'll add mine to the count.

I carry some bison tubes in my pocket and any time I can't find a cache I know it must have been muggled, because I have been at this game quite a while and if it was there I would have found it.

For urban cache sites carry a bit of camouflage-colored string to hang the tubes in a shrub or flower bed near where the cache used to be, in the woods you can hang them on a tree limb.

By replacing missing caches you do the owner a favor and save him a maintenance trip, plus anyone else that looks for the cache will have something to find.

There is never a good reason to file a DNF, just give the area a good look-over and if you don't see it, replace it.

:):huh:;)

With the exception of the bookmark list, this is my general method.

Vinny, is this another one of your socks?

He's joking. I think.

If I'm pressed for time and therefore cannot give a thurough search then I don't log, I'll return soon to try again, if still can't find then I'll log a dnf. I do sometimes log a dnf with a didn't look long enough for x reason, I'll try back in a couple days.

If I gave the area a full search for a good amount of time and still can't find it then I'll log a dnf with the comment that I looked for a long time and nothing so I question if it's still there.

DNF the cache every time you can't find it.

Everybody, PLEASE LOG YOUR DNF's!

Reference my coin for more info: TB25VAZ

The key is logging them when you "can't find it." This is very useful to the owner and what should always be done. Sometimes I read DNFs on my caches and wonder whether the people even tried or not because so many DNFs are frivilous. Some people are actually competing for who has the most DNFs. :anibad:

A few weeks ago, my wife and I couldn't find a simple (1/1) cache on a big, green electrical transformer box. The cache had been in existence since since 11/2/05 with no DNF's and here we come and can't find it. Well, I logged my DNF with my tail between my legs and, sure enough, the owner verified that the container was missing! Without our log, he would not have known.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I couldn't find a simple (1/1) cache on a big, green electrical transformer box. The cache had been in existence since since 11/2/05 with no DNF's and here we come and can't find it. Well, I logged my DNF with my tail between my legs and, sure enough, the owner verified that the container was missing! Without our log, he would not have known.
If you can't find a 1/1 it probably is missing. B)

I think if you actually look for it and don't find it, you should log it. Our first day out we logged our only to date dnf (of course the kids still like going for easy ones, so we're bound to have more as we increase the difficulty). We looked hard and long, so I logged it with an explanation that we are newbies and it was our first micro attempt, as to not discourage others from seeking it. 3 more dnf's later and the owner has disabled it until he can get out to check on it. Point is, sometimes the owner needs to know that several people have looked before the alarm goes off that maybe something IS wrong.

Now on the other hand, on the same day we were determined to to grab one more, and found the parking area, got out and scouted the top of an 8-10 foot hill we had to go down before getting anywhere near it, and decided it was just too late and getting too dark to attempt it at that time. I didn't log that one, because I didn't feel like we really looked for it, we just scouted the area, and didn't want to alert the owner of a non-issue.

I log all my DNFs and after that I Bookmark the cache, putting it on a Private "DNF" Bookmark list. If someone finds it, then I might look for it again . . . or not, depending on whether I care to return to that location. B)

One time I ran into someone who mentioned he looked for one of my caches and didn't find it . . . but he didn't log a DNF. I asked him to please log all his DNFs. Some of my caches are quite lonely. :D Even if someone doesn't find the container, it would be nice to know someone climbed up that hill or walked that trail and looked for it.

If I get two DNFs in a row, by different cachers, I'll Disable the cache until I can go check it out. If people don't log their DNFs, how do I know when to check on the cache . . . ?

So . . . . people, please log your DNFs. B)

I log all my DNFs and after that I Bookmark the cache, putting it on a Private "DNF" Bookmark list. If someone finds it, then I might look for it again . . . or not, depending on whether I care to return to that location. B)

One time I ran into someone who mentioned he looked for one of my caches and didn't find it . . . but he didn't log a DNF. I asked him to please log all his DNFs. Some of my caches are quite lonely. :D Even if someone doesn't find the container, it would be nice to know someone climbed up that hill or walked that trail and looked for it.

If I get two DNFs in a row, by different cachers, I'll Disable the cache until I can go check it out. If people don't log their DNFs, how do I know when to check on the cache . . . ?

So . . . . people, please log your DNFs. B)

They should always log it if they "really" look for it. The longer I walk the longer I spend looking for something. I don't I've heard anyone say that they refuse to log a DNF when they really got stumped. I think people forget to do it because you can't mark DNFs as found with your GPS, so you have to just remember them. Edited by TrailGators

If I look I log. If I run out of time I put that in the log, so others don't shy off the hunt. I also made a bookmark list of DNF's. Just hoping someone else finds it. If this happens I will usually head to that cache the next day.

Edited by Bigdaddy Mark

If I look I log. If I run out of time I put that in the log, so others don't shy off the hunt.

<snip>

I agree. If I look, even if I only had a few minutes to search, I log a DNF, but in that log, I will mention that I had to cut the search short for one reason or another. If I arrive at the location, and cannot search at all because of some reason . . . like the car parked in front of the hiding place with someone sitting in the car . . . B) I might log a "Note" just to let the cache owner know someone was "thinking" about looking for their cache. B)

All of my logs, whether they are "Found it" or "Didn't Find It" or "Notes" are part of my Geocaching experience. :D

As a cache owner, I do not mind getting a DNF log in my email InBox, even if the person says they only had a minute to search. I can judge by the content of the log whether I need to be concerned about whether the cache is still there, or not . . .

If I look for a cache & I dont find it I log DNF period. If for some reason I have to stop looking (like the time the police came because I was on a huge sign B) or because the crack head was sitting on the bench where the cache was & wasnt going anywhere) then I will write a note with the story.

As a cache owner I use DNF's as indicators that thee is the possiblity the cache is gone so I do an extra site check. I would like folks to log their DNF's so I know whats up.

I have had a couple of cachers email me & ask for an extra hint because they had tried, sometimes a couple of times, & couldnt find the cache. Then with the hint they found it but never logged the DNF. I have sent them a reminder that if you're gonna take a smile (plus an extra hint) for the find then you also need to take a DNF. If not then I will remove the log all together.

Yes its a game but rules go both ways. MW

Sorry about my little soap box dance. B)

Edited by Mother Wolf
If I look for a cache & I dont find it I log DNF period. If for some reason I have to stop looking (like the time the police came because I was on a huge sign B) or because the crack head was sitting on the bench where the cache was & wasnt going anywhere) then I will write a note with the story.

As a cache owner I use DNF's as indicators that thee is the possiblity the cache is gone so I do an extra site check. I would like folks to log their DNF's so I know whats up.

I have had a couple of cachers email me & ask for an extra hint because they had tried, sometimes a couple of times, & couldnt find the cache. Then with the hint they found it but never logged the DNF. I have sent them a reminder that if you're gonna take a smile (plus an extra hint) for the find then you also need to take a DNF. If not then I will remove the log all together.

Sorry about my little soap box dance. B)

That is exacty what I do. I log a note if my search was cut off because I didn't really get to look at it. I don't see what difference it makes if you log a note in cases like. That's what notes are for. If log log a DNF then it's probably not good news for the owner. It seems like the biggest reasons for DNFs are muggled caches or bad coords. If the coords are good and the cache isn't hidden in a high muggle area then the cache will get found for a long time.

Here's one of my post from another thread. DNF can save you some trouble.

It bugs me that some cachers won’t log a DNF, when clearly they Did Not Find.

A DNF doesn’t take away a smilely. I fact it can help you and the cache owner.

Example in point: I placed a kid themed cache this weekend. The container is a fairly large Rubbermaid container. It is placed on the ground, back in some bushes, without anything covering it. I did give it a good camo paint job. The cache is in a greenway in town along a sidewalk. The tree cover at the site consists of two parallel rows of trees and bushes with a small grassy area between. The cache is in the row closest to the sidewalk. Due to the leaf cover the cords are a little spotty.

Anyway, one of our friends and his wife went out looking for it. They were the first to try for it. The next day, after the FTF was claimed, the man’s wife was complaining that he got into stinging nettles while hunting for it. There are no nettles near the cache. A few days later she complained that he got into poison oak while looking again. There is no poison oak near the cache.

After talking to them we found out they were looking in the wrong row of trees. The wife said that they never log a DNF, “We don’t like them”. If they had logged one, I could have saved them a lot of grief.

Not only could you save yourself some grief, but if there is a problem with the cache, a DNF is a good way to alert the owner. Maybe you just can’t find it, or maybe it’s been muggled.

Does it hurt that much to log a DNF? Do you log your DNFs?

Here's the thread.

If I look for a cache & I dont find it I log DNF period. If for some reason I have to stop looking (like the time the police came because I was on a huge sign :) or because the crack head was sitting on the bench where the cache was & wasnt going anywhere) then I will write a note with the story.

Sorry about my little soap box dance. :o

I totally agree. I won't give a hint to anyone that hasn't logged a DNF. I have one cache that is off the trail. 4 people have logged a find there, but it looks like a game trail to GZ... yet NO DNFs have been logged. What is so hard about logging a DNF? Did you look? Did you find? It's that simple; either I find or I do not find; what's the big deal? I enjoyed your soapbox!

It's a game for me, too. But all games have rules. What's the problem with a DNF? IMHO that's like failing to count your penalty strokes and mulligans in the game of golf. This is a game of integrity, and the people that hide caches deserve to get feedback for their hides even if the feedback is a DNF. What is the problem with being honest about the fact you looked and didn't find a cache? To me it is just a simple pride problem. I don't feel that I am militaristic at all, just honest and want the same from other cachers. Why log a find if you're not going to log a DNF? If it doesn't matter; if it's just a game; why not just hunt, sign the log, and don't bother with a log? Why? Because it DOES matter!

It's a game for me, too. But all games have rules. What's the problem with a DNF? IMHO that's like failing to count your penalty strokes and mulligans in the game of golf. This is a game of integrity, and the people that hide caches deserve to get feedback for their hides even if the feedback is a DNF. What is the problem with being honest about the fact you looked and didn't find a cache? To me it is just a simple pride problem. I don't feel that I am militaristic at all, just honest and want the same from other cachers. Why log a find if you're not going to log a DNF? If it doesn't matter; if it's just a game; why not just hunt, sign the log, and don't bother with a log? Why? Because it DOES matter!
Like I said before I don't know anyone that is arguing against logging a DNF when they really "tried" to find it and didn't. That seems to be universal. What isn't universal is whether people log notes or DNFs if they cut the search short because a muggle shows up and they only got to look for a minute. Of course those people wouldn't be thinking of asking for a hint. So maybe the need for a hint is a good litmus test of whether or not you really looked and didn't find it. Edited by TrailGators

I have started to DNF when I have reached what I perceive to be "ground zero", have some time to look for the cache and come up empty.

I try to make each DNF note clear: if I took a good hard look and couldn't find it, I say so, and if I simply didn't have time to search, I say so as well.

There are a couple where I realized that looking hard would put me in a position to compromise the cache (like lifting a flag pole skirt at 4:30 pm in front of a public ice rink), so I mention that as well.

DNF'ing is good - I appreciate those who do, becuase it helps me decide if I should try myself.

Just imagine if someone had searched for the cache a day or two before you and didn't log their DNF. Had they done so, it would have saved you from wasting your time and would have allowed the owner to replace it sooner.

Some times I don't feel like I looked good enough to justify a DNF - because of not having enough time or just didn't want to crawl in the briar patch or PI to get it. So I don't always log a DNF. But if I think finding this cache is a bad Idea for some reason (getting hurt, PI, nasty bog of filth, Animal trama). I might log one as a reason so others can choose to use caution. I will, if I think it is missing or if I know I will be back to try again after a good 1st effort. I don't want my logging a DNF to be mistaken for an "It's not there!"

Edited by GPS-Hermit

We give up! We confess! We have not been logging our DNFs! :) Our system was to give it 3 tries before logging a DNF. We learned this from other cachers. Some folks do not log DNFs since it is hard to admit defeat. We now realize from this thread that a DNF is not an admission of defeat. A DNF is an honest assessment of your hunt that can aid other cachers and the cache owner. From this point on, we resolve to post a DNF after a thorough search.

We give up! We confess! We have not been logging our DNFs! :) Our system was to give it 3 tries before logging a DNF. We learned this from other cachers. Some folks do not log DNFs since it is hard to admit defeat. We now realize from this thread that a DNF is not an admission of defeat. A DNF is an honest assessment of your hunt that can aid other cachers and the cache owner. From this point on, we resolve to post a DNF after a thorough search.

Good for you!

A DNF is just a record that you looked for, but didn't find! Some of the most fun logs (both to read, and to write) are DNFs.

That is good . . . however, as a cache owner, I don't care if you log a DNF, even if you couldn't give the area a "thorough search." I'll be able to tell from the details of the log whether I might need to check on the cache, or not. If a cacher arrived at GZ and looked for the cache and did not find it, it is worthy of a DNF log.

Some of you are getting a bit militaristic with your DNF philosophies. Let's not lose site that we are playing a game here.... :)

As a cache owner I wouldn't mind one bit if someone logged a note if their search was cut short. However, if you didn't log a DNF then ~50 people would brow beat you in these forums. :)

Just curious, if someone looked for a cache and didn't find it, what is your "time criteria" for a "Note" instead of a "DNF"? Seems pretty cut and dried to just log a DNF if they looked and Did Not Find. B)

A DNF is not a demerit.

Why add confusion about when someone should log a DNF on a cache if they looked and didn't find it -- especially when people are already hesitant to log DNFs?

How do you handle DNF's?

My DNFs are some of my best adventures. I'd like to think I learned from one of the best known DNFers in our state. I had to go back a bit to find a linked DNF, but this was pretty typical of his logs. Find logs can be fun, but being able to read DNFs can have a higher entertainment value.

Some of you are getting a bit militaristic with your DNF philosophies. Let's not lose site that we are playing a game here.... :)

As a cache owner I wouldn't mind one bit if someone logged a note if their search was cut short. However, if you didn't log a DNF then ~50 people would brow beat you in these forums. :)

Just curious, if someone looked for a cache and didn't find it, what is your "time criteria" for a "Note" instead of a "DNF"? Seems pretty cut and dried to just log a DNF if they looked and Did Not Find. B)

A DNF is not a demerit.

Why add confusion about when someone should log a DNF on a cache if they looked and didn't find it -- especially when people are already hesitant to log DNFs?

I never said it was a demerit. That has nothing to do with it. To me a DNF means that I looked all over for it and didn't find it and I gave up! If I ran out of time then I'll log a note. It is not confusing at all. It is very simple. So what the heck is wrong with that? :mellow:

It seems pretty simple.

If you look & dont find guess what? thats a DNF

If you looked but ran out of time then gee sorry about that. thats a DNF

Not all caches are C&D.

I even a DNF on a cache I looked for for 1/2 then when I got home discovered it was a multi & I only transposed part of my notes. Oh well, my bad, I looked, I didnt find so I took the DNF.

Yes its a game but play fair. I enjoy some of the DNF logs more than the smileys. I have shared several of my adventures of why I didnt find a cache. (Almost busted, encountered slithers, did a stop, drop & roll down snowy bank). Being able to reflect & laugh was almost worth the DNF. Its all good. MW

If you looked but ran out of time then gee sorry about that. thats a DNF

Yes its a game but play fair.

The brow beating continues. Now I'm not not "playing fair" by posting a note on a cache that I am "in process" of finding but haven't given up on... ;)

OK let's play it your way: Show me the "official rules" that state what you just said... :D

Edit: I've done 16 stage multis where I took me all day to get through the first six stages. I didn't post a DNF when I got home. Instead I posted a note saying that I had made it to waypoint #7. It doesn't make sense to say that I didn't find it because I wasn't done looking for it...

Edited by TrailGators

It seems a nerve has been hit. I have reread these logs & NO WHERE did I see anything to indicate the hunter was in the middle of multi multi. Obviously if yo are looking for 16 part multi, unless you are on a suicide cache run, there is a good chance of not finding all parts in 1 run. I dont think that was the idea here. My interpretation was 'If you go out & look for a cache & dont find it you should log a DNF.

If you see its a 16 part cache of course you dont have to log a DNF because you havent completed looking for all stages but if you get to part 16 & cant find it then you dont get part credit unless the owner feels generous or it was set up that way. Its fine & even good to log a note that you are doing it & where you are.

As far as 'official rules' I dont believe I have ever seen anywhere that you 'HAVE' to do this or that. It's common sense thing & rule of thumb. If you hunt & find :laughing: If you hunt & dont find :laughing:

Playing fair is a morality thing. Found it, didnt find it, logged it, didnt log it. Intirely up to the individual & based on what is & isnt the right thing to do. Some things just dont need rules & for those people that feel it has to be in writing probably arent going to follow the rules anyhow. MW

I used the example of the multi to clearly illustrate that there are occasions where logging a note makes more sense than logging a DNF. If you are in process of seraching for a cache and don't finish then a logging note is perfectly acceptable. So it sounds like we are in agreement on that point. :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators