Corzine wants to close NJ parks

Wayfinders

I'm at a loss for and family-friendly words, so here's a copy of the article in the Courier:

By The Associated Press

The list of nine New Jersey state parks that would close under Gov. Jon

S. Corzine's proposed budget:

— Monmouth Battlefield State Park, 2,928 acres, Monmouth County. Visitor

center, restrooms, closed.

— Stephens State Park, 805 acres, Warren County. Camping area closed.

— High Point State Park, 15,827 acres, Sussex County. Swimming, camping,

interpretive center, office, closed. Trail access limited.

— Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (formerly Lebanon State Forest), 36,647

acres, Burlington County. Camping, group picnic area, Indian King Tavern,

office, closed. Trail access limited.

— Round Valley Recreation Area, 3,684 acres, Hunterdon County. Swimming,

camping, Wallace House, office, closed.

— Parvin State Park, 1,952 acres, Salem County. Swimming, camping,

interpretive center, office, closed.

— Jenny Jump State Forest, 4,288 acres, Warren County. Camping and

— Worthington State Forest, 6,584 acres, Warren County. Camping and

— Fort Mott State Park, 104 acres, Salem County. Hancock House, historic

sites, office, closed. Access to ferry service, open.

The list of three New Jersey state parks that would partially close

under the proposed budget:

— Ringwood State Park, 4,044 acres, Bergen and Passaic counties.

Shepherd Lake swimming area closed; Ringwood Manor, reduced hours. State

Botanical Gardens and Skylands Manor, open.

— D&R Canal State Park, 5,379 acres, central New Jersey. Bulls Island

Recreation Area closed to campers. Rockingham Historic Site and towpath,

open.

— Washington Crossing State Park, 3,126 acres, Mercer and Hunterdon

counties. Significantly reduced hours at Clark House, Johnson Ferry House

and the museum.

Winter hours at all remaining parks would be reduced. All but Liberty

and Island Beach state parks would be closed Mondays and Tuesdays from Nov.

1 through March 31.

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...RONT01/80401009

It's a shameless ploy to get people to buy in to his toll and tax scheme. He needs to cut the budget, so he makes the cuts in high visibility places that will annoy or inconvenience the most people.

A after a few months of it, he expects people to come crawling to him, begging for him to implement his plan.

Know what the most gut-churning part is? Here on campus, there are protests and mass form-letter mailings, rubber-stamped by the students, demanding that college funding not be cut... and they still run all sorts of frivolous programs that seem a blatant waste. Not long ago, we had 'Higher Education Week', devoted to 'awareness' of the budget cuts and what we could do to ostensibly prevent it; that same week, they ran not one but two free recreational programs within a hundred yards of my dorm door, including the rental of aqua-massage machines and non-gambling slot machines, free food, and DVD-player and iPod giveaways. How much longer could they have kept High Point or Round Valley open for the cost of giving some frat boy a video iPod? Please, folks, include this in your letters to the state. I can't be the only one disgusted by it.

Yep, another shameless ploy. Remember the last one didn't work, when he made the State Workers come in the Day after Thanksgiving or take a vacation day. :) The people did not rise up and demand that he restore the day off.

There will be more of this. But really, how much service do you need to hike in a State Park.

The Entirety of the Passaic County Park System , outside the Golf Course, is 3 people.

Wayne Township, with the largest Municipal Park in the State provides no services to that park---NONE. All services are provided to the soccer fields and playgrounds. So folks if you want to come help out. See our Sunrise Cito page and come out and join us on April 20th . Now , Brian Snat that is a real shameless ploy. :huh:

Shameless Ploy--Sunrise CITO

Edited by Packanack

Figures, half of those are our favorite places to play.

Maybe us out-of-staters can write a few letters also, on the LOSS of TOURISM DOLLARS...

Writin' when I'm done here. Sometimes these are a bit stretched, but if it MAY come true, gotta write.

One of the uncomfortable (for us) statements made on that info page was a letter stating, "PA is looking better and better..."

Unfortunately for us in the Poconos, the tax base is already showing what happens when a very large upper income group migrates and turns an area into a "bedroom community." My 70+ year old mother is (has to) working at home depot to pay the (tripled in just six years) property taxes.

In PA, state parks were already announcing last year that there would be no life guards on most properties this summer, with more cuts in the works.

We don't even have decent roads. Wonder where all the new gambling money's goin' to ?

At risk of sounding like a Corzine appoligizer, that's a poor article snipped by the Courier News. A list without substance. Typical!

And we wonder why the state is all fubar.

A little better article with some details regarding the decision is here.

The excutive summary:

The Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Lisa Jackson is proposing the cuts.

The closing will save about $4.5 million in salaries and maintenance. This is in response to Corzine's mandate of cutting $8.8 million from the $34 million Parks Management General Fund, the DEP could not reach this goal without proposing closures.

Perhaps the best solutions is to increase the tolls on roads leading to the parks! :)

Hard to interpret the news articles. I'm sure that they are not going to barricade the parks. It sounds like elimination of personnel. Closing camping, swimming and visitors' center at High Point. Not sure what 'Trail Access Limited' means. Obviously, they cannot close the AT.

But, this has been going on for years. 'Carry out your own trash' is primarily due to staff cut-backs. It takes two to carry the garbage can. They did not have the staff available.

State Parks usually get hit first. Very unfortunate. But I don't think that they're barricading them. Just eliminating personnel and services.

This is a fairly outrageous list of proposed closings. No doubt, in part, to provoke some outrage. The elimination of camping and swimming, especially at Ringwood, High Point and the like are especially maddening. The state parks are busy places during the summer. Sure, cut the services that make life a little more tolerable for those who might not be able to afford a trip to the Caribbean, or even Wildwood. How about cut the job of some useless bureaucrat who is nothing more than a political appointee? No, I don't have anybody specific in mind at the state level, but I bet there are more than a few. Enough to pay some lifeguards anyway. I'm sorry, useless bureaucrat. I realize you have a family too but...

There is no doubt that the fiscal houses of both the state and federal governments are in great disorder. It has taken a lot of years and much effort to get that way. There are no simple solutions but it seems there is no end to bad solutions.

Guess I better write my State Senator and Assembly-people before this idea gets too far.

Corzine is plowing the short rows. If he were really interested in addressing the situation, he would look to a system that allowed State/Government Employees to leave their jobs and be unaccountable. There is a guy in my neighborhood who has made a very successful business out of building houses--all while on the payroll of the government. He checks in in the AM and is gone. Ancectdotal, yes, but isolated--no. It has simply become a system that lacks accountability.

By all means make your views known.

"Lisa Jackson, commissioner of the state Department of Environmental Protection, said those found using the parks would be asked to leave by state forestry police and possibly even ticketed if they resisted."

http://www.pennlive.com/news/expresstimes/....xml&coll=2

These are the public lands your tax dollars pay for? I wonder how "arrested for hiking" will look on my record....

I agree this is a ploy to push the toll increase, so in an effort to squash this proposal I just put $50 dollars on my ez-pass account. That should get me down the shore. One way.

It's a shameless ploy to get people to buy in to his toll and tax scheme. He needs to cut the budget, so he makes the cuts in high visibility places that will annoy or inconvenience the most people.

A after a few months of it, he expects people to come crawling to him, begging for him to implement his plan.

As said, It's a common political tactic.

To the OP.

The answer (thought most wont') is to access the states budget, and present a citizen plan that works. There are always things that can be cut. If the state has a fleet of airplanes and it's cheaper to fly commercial that can be cut. Vice versa works. If the state buys vehicles both larger and more expensive than needed that can be scaled back They can look at replace them on a more econimical schedule. There are a ton of things that most people would cut long before they closed their parks.

"Lisa Jackson, commissioner of the state Department of Environmental Protection, said those found using the parks would be asked to leave by state forestry police and possibly even ticketed if they resisted."

http://www.pennlive.com/news/expresstimes/....xml&coll=2

These are the public lands your tax dollars pay for? I wonder how "arrested for hiking" will look on my record....

I agree this is a ploy to push the toll increase, so in an effort to squash this proposal I just put $50 dollars on my ez-pass account. That should get me down the shore. One way.

Following up on my other post. You can also suggest cutting the budget spend on enforcing a "closed" park policy. After all you don't need to spend money on land to enjoy it. Money spent on enforcement for a closed could better be spent on park staff.

More fuel for a scare tactic.

Who do you think wrote Lisa Jackson's speech, and how much do you suppose he/she was paid? ;) If politicians were required to write and deliver all of their own statements, as it was way back in the day, how much room under the budget could be cleared with the firing of all those speechwriters and PR spinners? As a bonus, we'd get to see a real measure of the intelligence of the people who're running the show. They'd put reality TV out of business.

<RANT>

Here in Portland, when they need money, they cut police and fire (while maintaining the office of Cultural Diversity). They figure if they close down a prison and release all the inmates, it will scare everyone into giving them more money through taxes. It should be criminal. The politicians that use these tactics should tossed into prison.

But unfortunately, we the people continue to elect them to office.

</RANT>

WE CAN make a difference!!! ploy or not this is an important issue!!!

please call, write or email (or ever better all three) your State Senator and Legislators and Assembly-people.

contact info can be found here

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp

more contact info

Lisa P. Jackson, DEP Commissioner

401 E. State St.

7th Floor, East Wing

P.O. Box 402

Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

phone: 609-292-2885

fax: 609-292-7695

Lisa.Jackson@dep.state.nj.us

Little known fact, legislators do not have to open, respond to or even acknowledge E Mails. If you want them to hear you, it must be in the form of a good old fashioned sent through the postal service letter with a signature . The law makers claim that E Mail is spammed at them. Same thing applies to congress (US) . But I don't know what all the complaining is about, it is real simple, You folks just don't pay enough taxes.

I have found that state and federal legislators do respond to INDIVIDUALLY written, thoughtful emails. The form-generated, issue-of-the-day, spam mail is likely to make no impression, nor should it. If you can't spend ten minutes to write about an issue in your own words, don't bother. I do think that a traditional, USPS delivered letter does still have the most impact.

Our new state senator, Kevin O'Toole, has pronounced this proposal to close the parks to be most foolish. I always like it when I can agree with a Republican. My favorite stupid remark is the one by our esteemed DEP Commissioner to "close" the trails. Perhaps they have plans to barricade the roads leading into the parks and the parking areas. That'll teach us.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release:

April 1, 2008 Joanna Wolaver, NJ Audubon Society, 609-712-3622

NJ Parks Now Closed for Business

Budget Cuts Force Closure of Popular Parks, Swimming and Camping Areas

Trenton – The State of New Jersey announced today that budget cuts will result in the closure of popular parks and recreational areas throughout the state just in time for the busy summer season. These cuts will severely reduce recreational opportunities for our residents, resulting in a decline in overall quality of life in New Jersey as well as harm to our economy. These closures come just after voters approved ballot question #3 last November, sending a clear message to our leaders that investing in open space, parks, farmland and historic sites is a priority even during fiscally challenging times.

The Keep It Green Campaign, a coalition of over 100 organizations from throughout the state, urge state leaders to listen to New Jersey residents and restore funding for the NJ Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Parks & Forestry and Fish & Wildlife in the budget. The devastating impact of these cuts and decades of similar cuts also highlight the need for stable funding to ensure that protected lands are well-maintained and accessible and to continue acquiring threatened lands through the renewal of the Garden State Preservation Trust this year.

12 Parks Slated for Closure or Reduced Services

Due to the $8.8 million in cuts to the Division of Parks and Forestry, nine parks will be either closed or have their services fully eliminated, including Monmouth Battlefield State Park, Stephens State Park, High Point State Park, Brendan T. Byrne State Forest, Round Valley Recreation Area, Parvin State Park, Jenny Jump State Forest, Worthington State Forest and Fort Mott State Park. In addition, three parks are slated for partial elimination of services and facilities, including swimming at Ringwood State Park, camping and interpretive services at D&R Canal State Park and severe reduction in hours at Washington Crossing State Park.

"This is the worst April Fool's joke of the year," said Dena Mottola Jaborska, executive director of Environment New Jersey. "But it's no joke --- if Gov. Corzine doesn't lift these draconian budget cuts, New Jersey residents will be locked out of enjoying some of New Jersey's state park jewels."

“No governor at any time, even during the Great Depression, has ever closed a state park,” said Jeff Tittel, Director of the New Jersey Sierra Club. “There was always an understanding that during troubled times, parks are a place for people to get together to enjoy their families and forget about their troubles. That the Corzine Administration would close these parks that the people of New Jersey purchased for their own use is unconscionable.”

-More-

As a result of these closures, New Jersey residents and families will experience a severe reduction in swimming and camping opportunities, the closure of many interpretive centers and the end of popular educational programs for public school children, Boy Scouts and other groups.

"These proposed closings make the budget cuts very real for all of us who treasure New Jersey's outdoor resources," said Alison Mitchell, Policy Director, New Jersey Conservation Foundation. "We hope the legislature will restore the funding for these important facilities when the final budget is adopted."

Residents Across the State To Be Impacted

These closures will negatively impact all of New Jersey’s residents by reducing recreational opportunities to all families as well as harming the many economic, environmental and quality of life benefits they provide.

“These park closures will impact all New Jersey residents, but the hardest hit group will be the urban and working class that have limited access to the outdoors and depend on these state areas for recreational opportunities. We are calling on our state leaders to reverse this socially unjust, economically-regressive policy decision,” said Joanna Wolaver, Director of Government Relations at New Jersey Audubon Society.

"Saying that the state will 'close' trails and facilities in a park like Brendan Byrne State Forest doesn't mean people will not keep going into the park. It just means there will be even fewer park rangers taking care of the forest or helping those who get themselves in trouble. It means an open season on the public's land for those who abuse the forest through activities like illegal off-roading, collecting rare species, dumping trash and drinking parties," said Carleton Montgomery, Executive Director of Pinelands Preservation Alliance.

“It is outrageous to close a park named after Monmouth County, which has such important historic value to our entire county and state,” stated Judith Stanley Coleman, President of Monmouth Conservation Foundation.

“The Highlands Act not only recognizes the importance of the Highlands as the source of drinking water for nearly all of northern New Jersey, it also recognizes its value as one of the most visited regions of the state. Hundreds of thousands of tourists and residents use its parks and natural areas, and appreciate its history and cultural attractions. Highlands parks are at the heart of why people love and visit the region, and this budget cuts out the Highlands' heart,” said Julia M. Somers, Executive Director of the New Jersey Highlands Coalition.

“The closure of any parks in NJ is a tough blow to our many volunteer members who work hard to build, maintain and protect hiking trails on many of the state’s public lands. But the closure of High Point,” stated Brenda Holzinger, New Jersey Coordinator for the NY-NJ Trail Conference, “is an even more significant issue and of much interest to people outside NJ’s borders because the Appalachian Trail, which is part of the US National Scenic Trails System, runs directly through the park.”

Closures to Worsen New Jersey’s Deficit

Not only will these closures harm New Jersey’s quality of life, but they will also damage our state and local economies and result in a decrease in state revenue. For more information on the many benefits of parks and open space, please visit www.njkeepitgreen.org/benefits.htm.

“Of all the mistaken things to do because you are short of revenue, the worst thing is to close revenue producing parks. Parks produce revenue not only through the collection of park fees, but also by supporting ecotourism, including bringing business to local restaurants, encouraging the purchase of bikes and other outdoor equipment – all of which support our state economy,” said Jim Amon, Former Executive Director of the D&R Canal Commission.

By reducing our investment in our parks, we will lose the many significant economic benefits they provide, such as spurring urban revitalization, decreasing health care cost associated with childhood asthma and obesity by promoting health lifestyles and supporting our state’s nearly $4 billion a year wildlife-related recreation industry and significant heritage tourism industry.

“The Administration's proposed budget cuts in the DEP Parks & Forestry division will result in complete closure of or significantly reduced public access to historic sites all over the state. At a time when heritage tourism has finally been recognized as a vital economic development tool, it is short-sighted to be closing these major historic attractions and further depressing local economies,” Ron Emrich of Preservation New Jersey.

“By closing the people's parks, the Governor is punishing the victim! Instead of balancing the budget on the backs of citizens and blocking their access to the open space they've already paid for, the Legislature should make gas guzzlers and other polluters pay more of their fair share, expedite more ethics reforms, stop subsidizing sprawl so much, which should be done anyway," said Dave Pringle of New Jersey Environmental Federation.

Again, the Keep It Green coalition urges our state leaders to listen to New Jersey voters and restore funding for the Divisions of Parks & Forestry and Fish & Wildlife and to create a stable funding source for preservation and operation of our natural and historic treasures through renewal of the Garden State Preservation Trust this year. This investment is not only a priority for New Jersey voters, but helps increase our state revenue during difficult budget times.

There is only one way out and that is market economic salaries. You want to be a Judge, how much will it take. Guaranteed you would have people lined up to take that job for 100K, as opposed to the 180K they get now. Want to be a Gym Teacher, ok 50K as opposed to the 90K now being paid. No pension after 20/25. You get your pension at age 65. If you take it early it gets reduced, just like private sector. It is a systemic problem, not amenable to quick fixes.

Edited by Packanack

I have found that state and federal legislators do respond to INDIVIDUALLY written, thoughtful emails. The form-generated, issue-of-the-day, spam mail is likely to make no impression, nor should it. If you can't spend ten minutes to write about an issue in your own words, don't bother. I do think that a traditional, USPS delivered letter does still have the most impact.

Our new state senator, Kevin O'Toole, has pronounced this proposal to close the parks to be most foolish. I always like it when I can agree with a Republican. My favorite stupid remark is the one by our esteemed DEP Commissioner to "close" the trails. Perhaps they have plans to barricade the roads leading into the parks and the parking areas. That'll teach us.

I imagine that when you do type your own words into online forms to email them, all they look at is where it comes from even if you wrote your own words.

I somehow got onto a mailing list for some wacko group that I totally disagree with on just about everything, they send me links to pages to write letters all the time. A couple of times I was outraged enough to use their form to write a letter to the senator completely disagreeing with what the group had told me to say and opposing whatever it was they were trying to encourage the senator to vote for.

The letters I got back told me not to worry, the senator was planning on voting for it. Clearly the body of the email was not read. Guess I won't do that again.

SUNRISE STEPOFF--AT A TIME AND PLACE TO BE DETERMINED

I SHALL LEAD THE GROUP INTO THE FIRST STATE PARK THAT IS CLOSED TO USE. WHO WILL COME WITH ME. :laughing: It does not cost the state anything for us to hike, and there should be no mistaking that , it is a shame that a family without access to a pool or beach or lawn will be denied a swim, or cookout.

I will too. Ramapo's notes about the well expressed individual E Mail is more properly getting to the point that I was trying to make. They do not respond to the spammed e mails.

I'm still trying to figure out the impact of what will occur. Swimming and camping eliminated at all twelve listed parks. With elimination of personnel, that I can understand. But "Access to some trails would be limited" in High Point, Brendan T. Byrne State Forest, Jeny Jump, and Worthington State Forest??? The state does not maintain any trails in north Jersey! The volunteers from the NYNJTC do all the maintenance. Doesn't cost the state a cent. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the Applachian Trail gets closed through Worthington State Forest and High Point State Park.

I was curious to see where the my tax money goes to.

I just spent about 2 hours reading NJ State Budget FY 2008 - 2009 particularly the citizens' guide (133 page PDF)

The good news is about 75% comes right back to me.

I'm still trying to figure out the impact of what will occur. Swimming and camping eliminated at all twelve listed parks. With elimination of personnel, that I can understand. But "Access to some trails would be limited" in High Point, Brendan T. Byrne State Forest, Jeny Jump, and Worthington State Forest??? The state does not maintain any trails in north Jersey! The volunteers from the NYNJTC do all the maintenance. Doesn't cost the state a cent. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the Applachian Trail gets closed through Worthington State Forest and High Point State Park.

Those a good points.

Similar scenarios are brought up in the Star Ledger Article.

Corzine's lost in the woods on park closings

The head of the DEP should figure out how to keep these parks open and run them efficiently. Isn't that what WE are paying her for?

The State charges for camping spot, access to swimming, and entrance to many of the parks. Heck, they already got my 50 bucks for a park pass this year ... will I be getting an extra $25 in my homestead rebate this year? :laughing:

Edited by ekitt10

I SHALL LEAD THE GROUP INTO THE FIRST STATE PARK THAT IS CLOSED TO USE. WHO WILL COME WITH ME. :laughing: It does not cost the state anything for us to hike, and there should be no mistaking that , it is a shame that a family without access to a pool or beach or lawn will be denied a swim, or cookout.

I will too. Ramapo's notes about the well expressed individual E Mail is more properly getting to the point that I was trying to make. They do not respond to the spammed e mails.

Consider it "on". I'll be right next to you, carrying a Gadsden flag.

Closed will mean closed!!

users will be asked to leave by State Park Police if you access the closed parks. That is what the DEP Commish said.

It does not cost the state anything for us to hike, and there should be no mistaking that

That is just NOT true!!!!!!!!

who picks up trash? who maintains the roads and parking lots??? who cleans the bathrooms or pays for the port-a-johns?? who pays and installs trail signs? who coordinates Vols? who pays for the NJ ridgerunners along the AT? Who provides maps? who provides the carry in/out bags??????????

get my point.

Closed will mean closed!!

users will be asked to leave by State Park Police if you access the closed parks. That is what the DEP Commish said.

Thoreau said it well when, in Civil Disobedience, he wrote: "The only obligation which I have a right to assume is do do at any time what I think right."

He also wrote, in the same essay, that "Unjust laws exist: shall we be content to obey them, or shall we endeavor to amend them, and obey them until we have succeeded, or shall we transgress them at once?"

Just because the land/trails are closed does not make it right. To make a point, one should passively resist the unjust law. A letter writing campaign may work; but also doing what we do (hike) may also work.

I will be there. And I will assume responsibility knowing full well the possible outcomes.

-- does it matter if I am from New York?!?

Please forgive my ignorance but what does it really mean for the parks to be "closed"? Will someone be in charge of stopping you from entering trails and wooded areas? Most of the caches that would be in these parks would be just off of a trail somewhere so as long as you are not concerned about having a park ranger available and you realize the risk, is that going to be okay? I'm just wondering. I am sure that there are a lot of caches in these parks that I haven't gotten yet and I would really hate it if I didn't have a chance at them because of the politicians playing these games because that's what it is - a big game! As long as they have money in THEIR pockets they are okay - we really need to start thinking more about who we put in office! 'nough said.

:o-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Apr 4 2008, 09:29 AM) 3405816[/snapback]

I will be there. And I will assume responsibility knowing full well the possible outcomes.

-- does it matter if I am from New York?!?

We'd love the support, thank you!

Of course, you have heard YOUR goverment is planning for us Jersey-ites!? :o

It does not cost the state anything for us to hike, and there should be no mistaking that

That is just NOT true!!!!!!!!

who picks up trash? who maintains the roads and parking lots??? who cleans the bathrooms or pays for the port-a-johns?? who pays and installs trail signs? who coordinates Vols? who pays for the NJ ridgerunners along the AT? Who provides maps? who provides the carry in/out bags??????????

True, but this doesn't mean that the DEP and the Parks Deptment can't figure out to run things smoothly and ecconomically.

Please forgive my ignorance but what does it really mean for the parks to be "closed"? Will someone be in charge of stopping you from entering trails and wooded areas? ....

From the link I posted above.

Corzine's lost in the woods on park closings

Don't worry, though. The enforcement by park police "won't be Gestapo-like," Jackson told reporters. "They'll just tell you to move on," she said.

{regarding Brendan Byrne State Forest} Trying to close this forest makes about as much sense as trying to close the ocean. The same is true to a lesser degree of the rugged Jenny Jump State Forest in Warren County and even of the relatively small Stephens State Park, also in that county. That park is along the Musconetcong River, which has a path along its bank used by hundreds of people every day. When a reporter asked whether those people would be re quired by law to turn back at the park limits, Jackson said yes.

Sierra Club is supplying the following information to interested parties.

1. Contact the governor's office and tell him you are not happy with this at: http://www.state.nj.us/governor/govmail.html

2. CALL the governor’s office at: 609-292-6000.

3. Contact your representatives: If you’re not sure who they are, go to: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/municipalities.asp

I

A) Most NJ State Parks went over to carry in/carry out a few years ago. So trash had largely been disposed of (puns intended) by dumping it into the lap of the consumer.

:o Bathrooms ? In some locations solar/ composting facilities have been installed, but for the most part there are few. The bathroom at Long Pond State Park is state of the art, I must say , as are the ones in Norvin Green.

C) NJ Ridgerunners --http://www.nynjtc.org/trailwalker/2003/ja03.pdf

http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/AT/index.html

Fact is that the NYNJTC, blazes, maintains, and coordinates volunteers. The State has in many instances ceded all of that to the Trail Conference.

Now as to who maintains the roads and parking lots. Apparently no one has for several years. One need only look to the condition of places like Wawayanda--the Barry Lakes Drive Parking area is a potholed mess, as of one week ago. Similarly, Ringwood State Park is full of buildings that are of historical significance and they fall to ruin. The guradrails there are wooden, so old that they rot on their stanchions. Parks and Recreation in NJ have long been the red headed step child. This is a political expedient. Maps and carryout bags were eliminated from purchase awhile ago.

And in many State Parks there are user fees, so in addition to taxes, the people of NJ are paying user fees to access the park . Go to Wawayanda during the summer. Where do you think the user fees go. User fees in governmental parlance is another name for a tax.

Edited by Packanack

Close a park to save money? hmm so now it will cost more to enforce closures, and when illegal dumpers turn it into a trash pile and/or toxic waste dump...do you think that will be cheap to clean up?

It is probably just another discusting ploy for this low-life to open up these lands for developers of those crappy eye-sore condos, so he can line his pockets with even more kick-backs. This is NJ, with a long history of corrupt, backroom dealing, lying, cheating, shady, pompus, useless, TAX HAPPY, nothing of real value to show, sleeze-bag Demonrat Gov's. !!!!!

Dont forget to tag onto the park closings.... he also wants to kill the Dept of Agriculture.

But I am sure all of those crackhead, non-American, criminal supporting, con-artist, "inner-city", kick-back perpetuating, under the table, useless, money sucking, programs will get a nice influx of cash.

Dept of Ag closing = $300k. Which is a fraction of the Office of the Gov's annual "Entertainment" account.

One thing that scares me.... I was going to and probably still will, post a rant on, is ;

There is a guy around here who takes it on himself to post public lands as a "Wildlife Santuary", and I am sure he/they are just drooling at the chance to hijack more areas with his false posters. All this little ____ is, is an eco-terrorist, anti-hunter. Every year his posters creep onto adjoining lands to "stake claim" to them. Some or even many may have seen the posters : "Wlidlife Preserves Inc" out of Parssipany PO Box. As it would pertain to Geocaching= he/they will consider it littering or something just as lame, as according to him: you cant even pick flowers, camp, boat, ATV etc... and it is NOT HIS LAND!! If anything, he has a few suits in some towns where he owned small lots (then hijacked surrounding ones) and HAS NOT PAYED THE TAXES ON THEM!!! but this special interest hippie will probably get a pass, because on the surface it will make a good sound bite/ snippet for "Conservation friendly Gov...."

ABSOLUTELY SICKENING!!!!

64874797v3_240x240_Front.jpg233419027v3_240x240_Front.jpg

I SHALL LEAD THE GROUP INTO THE FIRST STATE PARK THAT IS CLOSED TO USE. WHO WILL COME WITH ME. :lol: It does not cost the state anything for us to hike, and there should be no mistaking that , it is a shame that a family without access to a pool or beach or lawn will be denied a swim, or cookout.

I am SO with you. Announce the time and place, and I will be there!

Simply Amazing. I live in Ringwood in a lake community. This year, we decided not to renew our lake membership because we spend more time at the state parks than we do there; we went to our lake 1x last year - we went to state parks every weekend. Access to the state park is 5 houses down. I can walk or ride my bike to Shepherd's Lake from my house. Not that I really care to swim in a lake, that's not for me, but one of the reasons we moved here was because we had "full access" to the parks. So many kids in my neighborhood are employed during the summer by the State Park - lifeguards, maintenance, greeters, etc. My son grew up having full access to these parks along with his friends. About 2 mos. ago he applied to the State Park for a job this summer - his first real job. He sent the application out 1 1/2 months ago and got a letter back 2 weeks ago saying they're not hiring for Ringwood but they are for Wawayanda. Well for a 16 year old kid who will have to bike it to work - that's not going to work!!!! How can they take this away from us.

Now as to Lisa Jackson's half-witted comment that if something is closed people shouldn't be in it, how is the state going to police us being on the trails? They don't have the staffing or financial resources to police that. Sure they can lock the gates for the parking areas but if they are already in a financial mess they're certainly not going to be sending park personnel to patrol the trails.

The NJ State Budget Citizen's guide shows how many people certain line items serve. State Parks, was in fact, the largest line item, serving 17,300,000 people! Holy cow where is everyone going to go??

We must do everything we can to save our parks, send emails to the state officials - give the links to your friends to do so as well (even if they don't use the park system).

Corzine

Lautenberg

Garrett

Menendez

Find your local representative here click on a district # until you find your town-

Local Representatives

Let this be a start.

HELP SAVE OUR PARKS!!!

Edited by DammitNanet

I SHALL LEAD THE GROUP INTO THE FIRST STATE PARK THAT IS CLOSED TO USE. WHO WILL COME WITH ME. ;) It does not cost the state anything for us to hike, and there should be no mistaking that , it is a shame that a family without access to a pool or beach or lawn will be denied a swim, or cookout.

COUNT ME IN!!

Now as to Lisa Jackson's half-witted comment that if something is closed people shouldn't be in it, how is the state going to police us being on the trails? They don't have the staffing or financial resources to police that. Sure they can lock the gates for the parking areas but if they are already in a financial mess they're certainly not going to be sending park personnel to patrol the trails.

HELP SAVE OUR PARKS!!!

This is the part that I haven't understood yet. Does 'closed' mean 'no facilities available'? Or does 'closed' mean 'Keep out. No trespassing'? Is Farny State Park 'open' or 'closed'? It has never had any facilities.

The state parks hae been woefully understaffed for decades! ATVs go where ever they want, destroying trails. Not enough staff to prevent those gross violations.

Protest the Park Closures

Nine state parks are slated for closure due to cuts in the Governor?s budget. Camping, fishing and swimming, kids programs threatened.

We need to resolve our budget issues in other ways ? not by closing our parks!

Peaceful Rally at the Trenton State House

Wednesday, April 23rd

12:00 noon

Show your State Leaders you care, wear your outdoor gear. Families welcome!

Visit www.NJKeepItGreen.org for more information.

HELP SAVE OUR PARKS!!!

This is the part that I haven't understood yet. Does 'closed' mean 'no facilities available'? Or does 'closed' mean 'Keep out. No trespassing'? Is Farny State Park 'open' or 'closed'? It has never had any facilities.

The state parks hae been woefully understaffed for decades! ATVs go where ever they want, destroying trails. Not enough staff to prevent those gross violations.

Closed means closed. NO ACCESS!!

Com. Lisa Jackson if you are in an area that is closed your will be asked to leave by the NJ Park Police.

HELP SAVE OUR PARKS!!!

Com. Lisa Jackson if you are in an area that is closed your will be asked to leave by the NJ Park Police.

Yeah but the NJ park police will be elsewhere... this park is closed. Harry's point is that anyone will be able to do what they want, where they want, on ATV's or larger off road vehicles comfortable in the knowledge that the Governor has sent the police to the beach.

How does this save money... does he factor in the money people spend when they go on a camping trip? That money will just as readily be accepted in NY or PA.

I do not use NJ Parks, my husband does. He usually works 5 1/2 days per week, he often brings work home. Last night working from 6 to 10 in the family room. His recreation is geocaching and the outdoors a couple of hours per week. I work full time. We work to meet the demands of life in NJ, the state with the highest taxes in the Country. It is offensive to me that another quality of life issue is used to jam down on the taxpayer, when we have arenas , shopping malls and golf courses for private concerns being underwritten by the taxpayer, and which served to enrich politicians. Prudential arena, Xanadu, Encap for those unfamiliar. I think if we are to have cuts they must be across the board. Every State and Local employee must be included, every town, village and city must be included. Targeted cuts do offend the sense of fairness. I note that two months before this all came about, State Court Judges received an almost 12 % raise. My last raise was 3.% , my husband has made less each of the last 3 years despite working longer and harder. I will be writing to the governor. It is small wonder why people are fleeing NJ in droves. My neighborhood is looking like everything is for sale.

HELP SAVE OUR PARKS!!!

Thats what I thought at first, but it was announced that only the facilities would be closed with no staffing.

The parks would still be open and have access for hiking and finding caches. The use of the word "closed" is misleading.

The parks that currently do not have faciliities or staffing would not be affected.

The list of nine state parks that would close:

– Monmouth Battlefield State Park, 2,928 acres, Monmouth County. Visitor center, restrooms, closed.

– Stephens State Park, 805 acres, Warren County. Camping area closed.

– High Point State Park, 15,827 acres, Sussex County. Swimming, camping, interpretive center, office, closed. Trail access limited.

– Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (formerly Lebanon State Forest), 36,647 acres, Burlington County. Camping, group picnic area, Indian King Tavern, office, closed. Trail access limited.

– Round Valley Recreation Area, 3,684 acres, Hunterdon County. Swimming, camping, Wallace House, office, closed.

– Parvin State Park, 1,952 acres, Salem County. Swimming, camping, interpretive center, office, closed.

– Jenny Jump State Forest, 4,288 acres, Warren County. Camping and office, closed. Trail access limited.

– Worthington State Forest, 6,584 acres, Warren County. Camping and office, closed. Trail access limited.

– Fort Mott State Park, 104 acres, Salem County. Hancock House, historic sites, office, closed. Access to ferry service, open.

The list of three New Jersey state parks that would partially close under the proposed budget:

– Ringwood State Park, 4,044 acres, Bergen and Passaic counties. Shepherd Lake swimming area closed; Ringwood Manor, reduced hours. State Botanical Gardens and Skylands Manor, open.

– D&R Canal State Park, 5,379 acres, central New Jersey. Bulls Island Recreation Area closed to campers. Rockingham Historic Site and towpath, open.

– Washington Crossing State Park, 3,126 acres, Mercer and Hunterdon counties. Significantly reduced hours at Clark House, Johnson Ferry House and the museum

The last time this happened it was more temporary. I cannot locate the original news article which reported that the trails would still be open, but this article states "limited", which appears to mean to me that some parking areas close to the trails would be closed, but the trails would still be open.

I'm also guessing that Corzine dreamed up his plan to increase the tolls while he was in the hospital recovering from his car accident... :)

here is Lisa Jackson's quote about closed areas

"When parks are closed, "we intend to not have access . . . to those parks," with some limited exceptions, Jackson said.

People who come across a police officer would be asked to leave, she said.

"We're going to have to mothball buildings . . . do our best to keep things in a maintenance mode," she said.

Asked if the park closings will affect the fall hunting season on state lands, she said the state "may be able to allow some . . . use later in the year."

Link to full story

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../NEWS/804020451

Closed means closed!!

The parks would still be open and have access for hiking and finding caches. The use of the word "closed" is misleading.

Actually the last time this happened, the trailheads were posted with "closed - no access" signs.

Brian, and they will be posted again "Area Closed"