cheaper prices on garmin?

I have been looking at buying either a vista HCX or the 60CSx and most places I have looked have comparable prices but they are both on walmarts website and available to order for way less. the vista is $228.88 and the 60 is only $280.00 but best buy and basspro shop is $299 and $399. so if any one is in the market i would try wally world.

I have been looking at buying either a vista HCX or the 60CSx and most places I have looked have comparable prices but they are both on walmarts website and available to order for way less. the vista is $228.88 and the 60 is only $280.00 but best buy and basspro shop is $299 and $399. so if any one is in the market i would try wally world.

Just on personal principle, I would never shop there regardless of price difference.

Ignoring the Walmart bashers.....

Plus you can have it shipped to your nearest Walmart for free pick up if you want to avoid shipping charges. And you can return the unit to **ANY** Walmart within 90 days (I think it's 90) for a full refund or exchange if something is wrong or even if you don't like the unit. (provided you don't do something like drop the unit)

It's a great deal.

I just wish they'd honor the online price in the stores. I wanted immediate gratification, but the 60CSx was a bit more than $200 more in store so I had to buy online. I opted to have it shipped to work because my time is valuable to me and it saves me a trip to a store.

I just wish they'd honor the online price in the stores. I wanted immediate gratification, but the 60CSx was a bit more than $200 more in store so I had to buy online. I opted to have it shipped to work because my time is valuable to me and it saves me a trip to a store.

I went to the bass pro shop and they would price match me on the 60Csx down to 299.99 which is their cost. walmart was 280 but I figured that was good enough not to wait for it in the mail.

Unfortunately it turns out they gave me a returned unit that was already bought and returned and I was unable to register it with garmin. but they offered to swap it out... a minor inconvience but still quicker than ordering online

Unfortunately it turns out they gave me a returned unit that was already bought and returned and I was unable to register it with garmin. but they offered to swap it out... a minor inconvience but still quicker than ordering online

Someone had the same experience with REI. It must becoming more common.

I went to the bass pro shop and they would price match me on the 60Csx down to 299.99 which is their cost. walmart was 280 but I figured that was good enough not to wait for it in the mail.

I ordered my Vista HCx from TheNerds.net. It arrived at my house two days later, and I didn't even request expeditied shipping. ;)

With the price of gas these days, online shopping is more economical than running around town trying to find the best deal . . . ;)

Dang. Sounds like they are trying to capitalize on the Fry's Electronics experience. At least Fry's puts the Sticker of Death on items that have been returned and restocked.

I just wish they'd honor the online price in the stores.

Ditto. The Aiken SC Walmart had the Legend HCx but it was $233..... and they won't price match their website price according to the clerk.

Holy cow - I have 4 Wal-Marts within 20 minutes of my house, and NONE of them carry handheld GPS units.

So far I've only been able to find ONE store in my entire county that sells handheld GPS units, and their selection was fairly small.

Ignoring the Walmart bashers.....

Plus you can have it shipped to your nearest Walmart for free pick up if you want to avoid shipping charges. And you can return the unit to **ANY** Walmart within 90 days (I think it's 90) for a full refund or exchange if something is wrong or even if you don't like the unit. (provided you don't do something like drop the unit)

It's a great deal.

PLUS LOCAL TAXES

Holy cow - I have 4 Wal-Marts within 20 minutes of my house, and NONE of them carry handheld GPS units.

So far I've only been able to find ONE store in my entire county that sells handheld GPS units, and their selection was fairly small.

What they carry depends on where you live. Some sell guns, ammo and hunting stuff, others don't. Or they could put them somewhere else in the store than what you would expect.

I went looking for camo tape in the sporting goods section, and found none. Went to the paint department and found various colors of duct tape and an empty bin for the camo tape.

Might try Sports Authority (formerly Oshman's). They occasionally dump stuff cheap -- knives, GPS's, etc... that are old stock or out of production.

Sports Authority (at least in my area) has dumped the 'outdoors' sections almost entirely. Have gone fully sports, almost no hunting. They had 3 GPS units when i was there, all a brand I hadn't heard of.

Gander Mountain is the only place around that had any, but there prices are not competitive.

To even SEE a Garmin Colorado in person, and touch its smooth exterior, I had to drive 45 minutes to Bass Pro, and all they had was the 300i. To see a 400 t I had to drive an hour-and-fifteen to the nearest REI.

It's not all that fun living in an area that put all its eggs into the manufacturing basket...

I read somewhere else that the digital compass and altimeter aren't worth the extra money. If this is so, I'd be leaning toward the Venture HC. It seems this is the least expensive unit that has both USB connectivity and a high sensitivity GPS chipset. Any advice?

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on TheNerds, Miragee, that's the lowest price I've seen anywhere!

I read somewhere else that the digital compass and altimeter aren't worth the extra money. If this is so, I'd be leaning toward the Venture HC. It seems this is the least expensive unit that has both USB connectivity and a high sensitivity GPS chipset. Any advice?

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on TheNerds, Miragee, that's the lowest price I've seen anywhere!

I searched the forums to gather advice before I bought my 60Csx and most everything I read said that the 60 and vista where equally sensitive ....well all I know is that the vista could not get a signal in the store and the 60 had no problem with a good connection in the store so I went with the 60

the customer service guy that exchanged my unit said they have alot of people buy them and return them after a planned trip taking advantage of their 30 day return policy to use it for free for a while. Like people that buy clothes and leave the tags on to wear and return later

the customer service guy that exchanged my unit said they have alot of people buy them and return them after a planned trip taking advantage of their 30 day return policy to use it for free for a while. Like people that buy clothes and leave the tags on to wear and return later

So THAT'S why my prom date still had the sticker on his underwear...

I recently got a 60CSx from Walmart online. They have very good return polivies on everything, except GPS. They specifically say GPS must be returned within 15 days.