Smiley Buy-back

I'm kind of strapped for cash these days, but I really want a new Garmin Colorado. I'm wondering if Groundspeak would be willing to re-purchace my smileys. Does anybody know how much I might get for them? And, if Groundspeak won't do it, do you think that I could auction them off on eBay ?

Of course, I'd then need to start all over, but with the experience I've gained, and my new GPS receiver, I figure I should be able to get back pretty quickly to where I was before I cashed them in.

:laughing:

Edited by knowschad

I'm kind of strapped for cache these days, but I really want a new Garmin Colorado. I'm wondering if Groundspeak would be willing to re-purchace my smileys. Does anybody know how much I might get for them? And, if Groundspeak won't do it, do you think that I could auction them off on eBay ?

Of course, I'd then need to start all over, but with the experience I've gained, and my new GPS receiver, I figure I should be able to get back pretty quickly to where I was before I cashed them in.

:laughing:

This has already been implemented by Jeremy but unfortunatly, the rate is at 25% of the original smiley plus a restocking fee of 30 cents. With the price of fuel these days, I would wonder if it is worth it.

Ouch!! Only 25%? That really makes me think twice about my plan.

Tell me... if I do sell them back, does that mean that I can re-find the caches that earned me those smileys, or do I need to go find a bunch of new ones?

Also, is this available for everyone, or only for Platinum members?

Ouch!! Only 25%? That really makes me think twice about my plan.

Tell me... if I do sell them back, does that mean that I can re-find the caches that earned me those smileys, or do I need to go find a bunch of new ones?

Also, is this available for everyone, or only for Platinum members?

Open to everyone, HOWEVER, the Platinum Members will get a smiley kick back of 5% of the total at the end of the year. Subject to not being in arrears for the current year of Platinum Membership. I guess Platinum has its perks, eh?

As a Platinum member, I am allowed the privilege of selling some of our finds/smilies on Ebay, so long, the rules stiulate, as the bidding starts at $21 or higher per smiley. I have already sold seven smileys on Ebay in this fashion; the hottest one reached a winning bid amount of $128.40.

Hey,

Sorry I haven't sent payment yet...still working on finding someone that will allow a wire transfer!!!

Best cache I have ever "found"...thanks for the smiley!!!

Later,

ArcherDragoon

As a Platinum member, I am allowed the privilege of selling some of our finds/smilies on Ebay, so long, the rules stiulate, as the bidding starts at $21 or higher per smiley. I have already sold seven smileys on Ebay in this fashion; the hottest one reached a winning bid amount of $128.40.

That's a good point. But buyers beware that some people, and I am not implying anybody here, will have "fake" smilies that they will try to sell. In other words, log a smiley and not have signed the log at the cache site. Don't forget to ask for documentation when buying smilies especially from somebody that you don't know.

Keep in mind that the value Groundspeak puts on log buy-back is directly related to your total forum post count. The higher the count, the lower the value since you spend more time in the forums than actually geocaching.

Someone with like 5,000 posts probably has worthless logs.

:)

Wait, let me get back to you on that. :huh:

Keep in mind that the value Groundspeak puts on log buy-back is directly related to your total forum post count. The higher the count, the lower the value since you spend more time in the forums than actually geocaching.

Someone with like 5,000 posts probably has worthless logs.

Wait, let me get back to you on that. :huh:

Oh no...

What about those OT posts???

I don't get to cache much, so I'd be willing to buy some previously-owned smileys at a better rate than the GS buyback. Send me a PM if you're interested in selling a 3.5 difficulty or higher. I like a good hike, so I'd pay extra for high terrain as well.

And if anyone wants to unload a Tube Torcher smiley -- definitely, let's talk!

Edited by Dinoprophet

I'm kind of strapped for cash these days, but I really want a new Garmin Colorado. I'm wondering if Groundspeak would be willing to re-purchace my smileys. Does anybody know how much I might get for them? And, if Groundspeak won't do it, do you think that I could auction them off on eBay ?

I have, on occasion, been tempted to ask for a refund or at least a rebate on a few hunts I have attempted.

I'm not in the smilely market right now but if you ever need an agent to help sell some of those infamous hides you've put out, lemme know. We'll make BIG money cuz that level of ingenuity cannot be purchased.

Hope all is well with you and yours out in Minnie my friend.

TGB

Hey,

Sorry I haven't sent payment yet...still working on finding someone that will allow a wire transfer!!!

Best cache I have ever "found"...thanks for the smiley!!!

Later,

ArcherDragoon

No problem. I am happy to wait for your payment from the auction; Paypal remains my favored means of payment. My favorite auction of a smiley on Ebay remains my sale in June of last year (2007) of a find/smiley on our Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations to a class of fourth graders, in Kiev, Russia. While the price per smiley was only $76 apiece, since there were 66 kids in the class, we sold the 66 smileys for a bit over $5,000! And, their teacher was able to pay immediately via Paypal, and so they all had their smileys by the close of the day on the same day that they won the auction! That was a truly win-win situation for everyone! :)

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I too have been saving up my smileys to buy a Garmin Colorado. But I just found out that because some people have been logging fake finds my smileys are now worthless :huh: At least I still have my Bear Stearns stock :)

Groundspeak's next service pack should fix many of the problems you're currently having with your smilies.

I'm not in the smilely market right now but if you ever need an agent to help sell some of those infamous hides you've put out, lemme know. We'll make BIG money cuz that level of ingenuity cannot be purchased.

Hope all is well with you and yours out in Minnie my friend.

TGB

How have your Team Geoblast Rocks been selling these days? If you can sell those, I'm sure you could sell my smileys!

I don't get to cache much, so I'd be willing to buy some previously-owned smileys at a better rate than the GS buyback. Send me a PM if you're interested in selling a 3.5 difficulty or higher. I like a good hike, so I'd pay extra for high terrain as well.

And if anyone wants to unload a Tube Torcher smiley -- definitely, let's talk!

Unfortunately, most of the smilies available for sale are at 2/2 or lower. Most people like to keep the smilies from pleasant walks and featuring amazing views or historical lessons, even just those obtained at an interesting location. The ones most people try to sell off are the LPC's and GRC's. I know I have quite a few of those from my early caching days, and from attempts to complete "Challenge Caches". Most of these can be purchased at huge discounts.

Because of extreme levels of counterfieting, 1/1 Virtual and Event Caches are worthless and you usually can't even give those away.

Expect to pay top dollar for a rare Tube Torcher or Psycho Urban Cache smiley!

Edited by J-Way

Be careful! Having read the threads regarding the "high find" users it's important to realize that all people with high numbers of smileys obviously cheat and log caches multiple times, log caches they've never found, log them for their entire "team" no matter who was actually at the cache site, etc. You don't want to end up buying bogus smileys do you?

Of course Platinum members do get the buyer protection plan so they're safe. It's just all the other folks I worry about.