New Postal Rate Enforcement May 12th

pghlooking

A couple times here and there when mailing some coins a clerk has asked me about what I was mailing. When they thought these coins were currency I was always told they had to go registered mail. I always explained they weren't currency but rather tokens for a hobby we played. Well that time seems to have come and gone.

Yesterday I saw an internal memo to the delivery supervisors which had a section about this. It appears the USPS has come up with a new way for them to generate revenue. Starting May 12th when the new rates take effect, all coins must now be shipped registered mail. Sure you can try to get around it by saying it is something else and packaging it differently, but is it worth being charged with fraud?

The costs are going to kill us for trading coins, not to mention what it is going to the small time vendors. Personally I am trying to get my GeoJellies done in time to beat the deadline as I stand to lose a ton of money in shipping.

The new rates will be $10.80 for the first $100 worth of coins sent. At least this includes them having to be signed for so delivery confirmation isn't needed so we will save there.

These are not coins - they are not and never have been a medium of exchange, they do not have a value attached to them - they are collectables.

Period.

Not coins. Tokens. NOT FRAUD to call them so.

I went to look at the regulations as they stand now - these items are neither money nor precious metal nor a medium of exchange (money). So collectable tokens don't fall in the category.

This is the closest thing I could find:

2.3.1 Full Value

Regardless of any insurance that may cover the article, the mailer must always declare its full value to the USPS when presenting it for registration and mailing (see chart below). The mailer must tell the USPS clerk (or enter on the firm sheet if a firm mailer) the full value of mail matter presented for registration. Private insurance carried on Registered Mail does not modify the requirements for declaring the full value. The accepting USPS employee may ask the mailer to show that the full value of the matter presented is declared, and may refuse to accept the matter as Registered Mail if a satisfactory declaration of value is not provided. Only articles of no value may be mailed as Registered Mail without insurance.

There is nothing in these reg's that say anything MUST be sent registered mail, just what MUST be done if the MAILER CHOOSES registered mail. (Mostly because of the liablity of the carrier for the mailed value declared - that is, if you register something, you say it is worth "x" amount. If it is lost, the carrier has to pay for the lost article.)

Maybe there will be a change - but this would be Government as Big Brother in a way I do not think will be tolerated.

Edited by ATMouse

Don't **** him off... can't have him going postal in the forums :)

Naomi :):huh::)

Aaawww I ain't skeerd of no stinking "postal" postal worker, can't compare to my change of life hot flashes/moodswings combined with pms......our kind can whoop butt anytime. ;)

(course agility is a "little" hampered by the ice packs we have to wrap ourselves in so we don't burst into flames) :D

Edited by Eartha

Don't **** him off... can't have him going postal in the forums :)

Naomi :D;):)

Aaawww I ain't skeerd of no stinking "postal" postal worker, can't compare to my change of life hot flashes/moodswings combined with pms......our kind can whoop butt anytime. :)

(course agility is a "little" hampered by the ice packs we have to wrap ourselves in so we don't burst into flames) :huh:

:D

:)

:D

That is just hilarious.... and anyone that has never had those things happen to them just cannot understand!!!

Edited by Eartha

Far too late for April fools..... already the 2nd here.

If true.... forget international for buying coins - we can pay up to 50% of the cost of the coins on top for postal rates.... then convert to our currency....

If pulling our legs..... then do you deserve a coin reward???? I'm sure I could find a non-trackable micro coin.

Don't **** him off... can't have him going postal in the forums :huh:

Naomi ;):):D

Aaawww I ain't skeerd of no stinking "postal" postal worker, can't compare to my change of life hot flashes/moodswings combined with pms......our kind can whoop butt anytime. :)

(course agility is a "little" hampered by the ice packs we have to wrap ourselves in so we don't burst into flames) :D

What she said (middleaged females unite!), besides, I live with a postal worker and I know the "worst" :)

Edited by Eartha

I smell an April Fool's rat...OP was made at 4:50 a.m. on April 1.

:(

Yeah, I was up when it was posted...and almost bit! Got to thinking about it and......

wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag though....

Yea most people decided it was more fun to watch people such as ATMouse scream and stomp. I got lots of emails and calls laughing about it, but I knew there would have to be one person who couldn't stay quiet and just enjoy..

And who wakes up this early in the morning thinking of April Fools Day jokes

<snip>

Aaawww I ain't skeerd of no stinking "postal" postal worker, can't compare to my change of life hot flashes/moodswings combined with pms......our kind can whoop butt anytime.

Obviously the mailman on his way to work. And BTW, I know where you live so you might want to be careful of what you say! :ph34r:

If pulling our legs..... then do you deserve a coin reward???? I'm sure I could find a non-trackable micro coin.

Yea I was pulling your leg. You sending me coins now? ;)

ATMouse. Send me your address and I will send you something. I can just imagine you sitting there at 6:30 this morning with fuzzy slippers and coffee screaming at the screen while researching postal rates and registered mail. That being said, I have been told several times by my clerks that coins had to be sent registered mail. I always clarify they are tokens not currency.

This was funny, would have been nice to see it play out for longer though... probably could have got some people pretty fired up.

ATM definitely deserves a coin for the morning stress you caused her although it was fun to see a couple 'I fell for it' posts :(

You're so devious :ph34r: I love it!

Yea most people decided it was more fun to watch people such as ATMouse scream and stomp. I got lots of emails and calls laughing about it, but I knew there would have to be one person who couldn't stay quiet and just enjoy..

Awww...cry me a river... :ph34r:

Yea I was pulling your leg. You sending me coins now? :(

SENT - I just released it into a local cache after today, complete with mission card attached to seek you out - it's tracking # is....

whoops sorry, it ain't got one....

So you won't be able to watch it after all....

:ph34r:

The OP has reported this thread as being off topic, which I am taking as a request to close the thread. Since tomorrow will be April 2, and someone may only read the first post and scurry away from ever buying coins (we couldn't let that happen now could we?), I am granting the request and closing it down now.