Nintendo DS

Been caching with the Nokia N95 for a bit now, as per other threads on here, stunning bit of kit. Never thought the Nintendo DS would be capable as a caching device but with the advent of DS Navigator it's yet another way into the market, with a neat twist. The DS has a built-in wireless networking bit of kit, that is used for Pictochat, I don't know if it's WLAN or Bluetooth or something uniquely Nintendo, but as all DS owners know, you can chat to other DS'ers and file share, play games against each other, etc. Found out about it first at the camping events last year - the younger members of The Cache Hoppers, Great Redmondo, Ollies and others were all DS-mad! :laughing::ph34r:

It was debuted at the fab Talkin Cachin event earlier in the week, down in deepest, darkest Somerset, after a tip-off.

Anyway, the range of connection is something else - not necessarily to play games, but just to make a connection. By connecting to 3 other devices, and a bit of clever trigonometry / triangulation (whatever it is - did you ever need SOHCAHTOA after school?) it can pinpoint your location. Exactly. To within a couple of feet, surprisingly.

Those whizzes over the pond - ie, Norway - have harnessed this to create DS Navigator. I've tried it out tonight - admittedly to a previously found cache, and all I can say is WOW. It's not SIRF3, technically, but accuracy-wise, it certainly seemed to be as good as. Memory Map using PPC-Emu worked a treat, too, though we used the propeitary navigation software to point the way!! Screenshots attached.

getattachmentaspxcb6.jpg

getattachmentaspxos2.jpg

getattachment2aspxgj3.jpg

getattachment3aspxrk7.jpg

That's obviously Memory Map, and this is DS Navigator.

dscachefa3.png

We couldn't believe this when Popuppirate and The Cache Hoppers weren't aware the DS could do this! We tried it on little Berrow Cachers DS a while ago while I was testing my Wherigo cartridge. It takes a while to get a signal but it's perfectly usable. The accuracy was a bit suspect, but the kids are chuffed they've got "GPS" enabled maps on the DS! :laughing::ph34r:

I'm confused.... three other devices? You need four DS Lites?

Ideally yes.

You can get away with one but the signal received can be a bit iffy. Something to do with the fact that the bit of kit uses a reradiating antenna that will only pick up satellites that have a clear line of view and not obscured by tall buildings or rockfaces.

It is a case of 'the more, the merrier'.

P

Being able to pick up the required kit relatively cheaply, we found that equipping the yellow Labrador and letting her run off the lead a short way off, enabled even better triangulation when coupled with our own set-up. :laughing:

Unfortunately the Black lab wandered out of range of the wireless connection too regularly to be of any use...

Surely this would only work with an AF model or if you connect a Frail Loop (which I understand can be obtained for under a tenner from malpins or tandy) :laughing:

Indeed, due to the size of the screen you can only read a quarter of the CD at any one time, so it has to be rotated through 90 degrees to read each quarter in turn. Remember of course, if you are in the Northern hemisphere to rotate it counter clockwise as Region 2 CD's are recorded the opposite way to those for Asia.

J

A the joys of being a Radio Amateur....

I'm guessing with a Frail Loop connected to the DS's RF input you could use the loop in a DF mode and null out interference from other nearby re-radiating caches. If all caches had a small very low power Transmitter in then one could use a Yagi or Log Periodic to drive a suitable demodulated display on the DS's Upper screen with Memory Map running on the lower screen.

Ohh cache fox hunting - sounds fun and would only add about £30 to each cache you set.. Thanks for the ideas chaps.

A the joys of being a Radio Amateur....

I'm guessing with a Frail Loop connected to the DS's RF input you could use the loop in a DF mode and null out interference from other nearby re-radiating caches. If all caches had a small very low power Transmitter in then one could use a Yagi or Log Periodic to drive a suitable demodulated display on the DS's Upper screen with Memory Map running on the lower screen.

You've lost me a bit there.

All I know is that the way things are today if you don't have an AF you've got to have a Frail Loop :laughing:

P

The main problem with the DS system is interference from other DS Lite users who are not running the DS Navigator.

Even with the optional Frail Loop attenuator kit you can be affected by other DS users especially in urban locations. You can suddenly find the top screen suddenly changing to the game being played by a passing DS user.

Still a little work to do with the application stability I think.

The DS is already an essential device for us....

to keep our kids entertained in the back of the car as we trail them round endless caches :)

If you don't have one of these then I recommend you do some research. You won't regret it. :huh:

It is legal. :)

We've had those for a while but that's the cheapest I've seen them. Cost me nearly £40 for the first one, and £35 for the second. Well worth the outlay. I'm just looking into getting Google Earth to run on the DS Lites now and it's looking very promising. ;)

Edited to add: I have a DVD absolutely jam packed with games - I will run off some copies to give away at forthcoming camping events. :D

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

If any body wants an old BBC B for caching let me know.

Frail loop comes as standard on these along with a handy travel pack. :ph34r:;)

The only problem I have come across with using an old BBCB for caching was that you have to take the whole thing out caching with you. The trolley I use to wheel it about on isn't easy to get over stiles :( , but today I took it out caching in a park near to my office, and I managed to find the cache easily.

I'm waiting for the Spectrum (rubber keyboard) type to get some software so I can load it on that old tape recorder jobby, as that's FAR more portable than the old trolley that the BBC B comes on!!!

Never mind all that, referring to Mark's original comments, how sad do you have to be to remember SOHCAHTOA ?

I only know it because my step-son did his GCSEs last year. Back in my day, we used to have to remember such things without the aid of "sex on holiday..." :laughing:

:rolleyes::D What happened to the poor Old Hens?

Never mind all that, referring to Mark's original comments, how sad do you have to be to remember SOHCAHTOA ?

Yes I watched a program on Sky about that Indonesian volcano erupting in 1883 :o

Oh God, so did I... but what's even more disconcerting is that I found it facinating!

Hi this is Daniel,

Can some one explain the DS-navigator in a easier way as I'm only thirteen and I think it sounds interesting. Also does it only work for the DS-lite? Or does it work for the normal DS-es too? Thanks.

-D

Hi Daniel.

The easy way to describe it is it was an April Fools joke.

Would have been cool if it were true though.