Stealth Tactics

Caching this past weekend there were 5 of us doing an urban run. We located GZ right beside the visitor's dugout at a softball field with warmups in progress. We read the hint and figured it was in the top cap of the fencepost of the field near 3rd base. After much debate we decided to throw in the towel until I had that urge to leave no cache unfound so I walked up to the dugout, asked if anyone ever heard of geocaching. When no one knew I said it was high tech treasure hunting with GPS's and sometimes you have to make a fool of yourself looking.... like now. And I immediately climbed the fence, tossed down the cache, signed, replaced, and told them if anyone else comes looking they'll know what's going on and can have fun with them. They laughed, we left. All is well.

Sometimes the best stealth is no stealth at all :(

Perhaps it was best for you because you logged the cache. However, as the owner of a cache like that one, I would say that your actions certainly were not in the best interest of the cache, the cache owner, or future cachers.
If the cache owner wasn't so stupid as to place it in a highly visible area then there wouldn't be a problem. Don't blame the finder. :(
The finder is the one who makes the determination as to whether the area has too many muggles or not at that moment. The finder is the one who uses this information to determine whether the cache can be found at that time without jeopardizing it. The finder is the one to decide whether or not he will use stealth or expose the cache to muggles. These things combine to make the finder the one responsible. The finder is to blame for his actions.

If a cacher does not like these types of caches so much that he believes that the owners of them are stupid, he should not attempt these caches. That way, he doesn't have to suffer through finding a cache that he doesn't enjoy nor does he risk causing the disappearance of the cache, thereby ruining the game for others.

There are some locations where muggles are present 24 hours a day. Is that the finder's fault?

Yes, some caches are better found after business hours, but I shouldn't have to go caching at 3am just because the hider has no consideration for those seeking his cache.

You don't have to find it, at all.

Certainly if you don't wish to use stealth and/or do not like these caches anyway you could just move on down the road to a cache that you would like to find. Toss the cache placed by the 'stupid' cacher on your ignore list and be happy. Why do people feel that they must log every cache? This is especially true of those that they have such contempt for that they are willing to risk exposing it.

Wasn't 'Protect the game piece' part of that other geocreed?

Edited by sbell111

I really do not like urban micros in muggle rich areas that require a lot of searching, so all of our urban micros are in plain sight and we give detailed instructions on the cache page re. where and how they are hidden. That way all the person has to do is use some stealth grabbing and replacing, and not spend time hunting around in shrubs in a parking lot.

Caching this past weekend there were 5 of us doing an urban run. We located GZ right beside the visitor's dugout at a softball field with warmups in progress. We read the hint and figured it was in the top cap of the fencepost of the field near 3rd base. After much debate we decided to throw in the towel until I had that urge to leave no cache unfound so I walked up to the dugout, asked if anyone ever heard of geocaching. When no one knew I said it was high tech treasure hunting with GPS's and sometimes you have to make a fool of yourself looking.... like now. And I immediately climbed the fence, tossed down the cache, signed, replaced, and told them if anyone else comes looking they'll know what's going on and can have fun with them. They laughed, we left. All is well.

Sometimes the best stealth is no stealth at all :yikes:

Perhaps it was best for you because you logged the cache. However, as the owner of a cache like that one, I would say that your actions certainly were not in the best interest of the cache, the cache owner, or future cachers.
If the cache owner wasn't so stupid as to place it in a highly visible area then there wouldn't be a problem. Don't blame the finder. :mad:
The finder is the one who makes the determination as to whether the area has too many muggles or not at that moment. The finder is the one who uses this information to determine whether the cache can be found at that time without jeopardizing it. The finder is the one to decide whether or not he will use stealth or expose the cache to muggles. These things combine to make the finder the one responsible. The finder is to blame for his actions.

If a cacher does not like these types of caches so much that he believes that the owners of them are stupid, he should not attempt these caches. That way, he doesn't have to suffer through finding a cache that he doesn't enjoy nor does he risk causing the disappearance of the cache, thereby ruining the game for others.

There are some locations where muggles are present 24 hours a day. Is that the finder's fault?

Yes, some caches are better found after business hours, but I shouldn't have to go caching at 3am just because the hider has no consideration for those seeking his cache.

You don't have to find it, at all.

Certainly if you don't wish to use stealth and/or do not like these caches anyway you could just move on down the road to a cache that you would like to find. Toss the cache placed by the 'stupid' cacher on your ignore list and be happy. Why do people feel that they must log every cache? This is especially true of those that they have such contempt for that they are willing to risk exposing it.

Wasn't 'Protect the game piece' part of that other geocreed?

I must not be the only one concerned about how these caches may be perceived by non-cachers...it's even in the guidelines:

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line...

...Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.

When I find a cache that can't be found without attracting the attention of muggles, I don't care if my actions compromise the cache location. The cache owner should have actually read the guidelines and not just checked the box that says he did.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

as far as i'm concerned, if i have to search through juniper bushes to find a film canister thrown casually in, i search however i search.

if you want me to b subtle in a public place, i better be able to figure ou where it's hiding in a few minutes. otherwise i just pull on my gloves and begin the systematic search.

When I find a cache that can't be found without attracting the attention of muggles, I don't care if my actions compromise the cache location. ...
Well, there you go.

I do care about my actions. I guess that's our primary difference on this issue.

Edited by sbell111

Being a compulsive birder I always have binoculars around my neck whenever I'm in a park or on a trail so they are good camouflage.

For caches in high muggle traffic areas I just do what others have described. I go for it, I'm usually ignored and if anybody asks I tell them what I'm doing.

I used to take great care in not drawing attention to myself.

By my philosophy has changed. If a cache placer decides to put a cache right out in the open or where it is in direct sight of many muggles, then they have no expectation of it remaining any length of time without being muggled.

I now just go and get a cache, and maybe sign it 10 or 15 feet away, then return it. I do not WASTE any of my precious time trying to extend the lifespan of lamp-post caches or guarded caches or so on..

I like to hide in plain sight. I act like I know what I'm doing and furiously take down notes at what I'm looking at.

Please elaborate! For example how do you look like you know what you are doing when you are in the parking lot of Walmart looking underneath a light post?

Get your self a clip board with paper and a pen.

But don't get my words wrong.

I do not call attention to the cache in view of others. I do use the clipboard method, tying your shoe, sitting down...

But at many a guard rail cache in shopping malls right where truckers park to rest I have been observed by them.

I even have an engineers hardhat which I use as my bike helmet and have used that on occasion.

By my philosophy has changed. If a cache placer decides to put a cache right out in the open or where it is in direct sight of many muggles, then they have no expectation of it remaining any length of time without being muggled.

My philosophy has changed too. I used to think that it was a shame to see any cache get muggled. Nowadays though, too many cache placers think it's "fun" to place a cache in full view of muggles, where the seeker is going to be noticed. These are the caches I don't care about getting muggled.

A week ago I was waiting in a park like area to photograph my daughter before homecoming. A man, his wife, and child were there. They were walking aroung the area, dad looking at his phone and mom and child wandering around. soon they got in there car. I just walked over and asked, "are you geocaching?" The look on their faces was precious.

No one else noticed the type of behavior. Having found 2 caches in the same spot, of course I knew. They had found it, but didn't want to attract attention. Good call. I went over and looked at the cache, all around me were oblivious to what I was doing. Stealth is good if radar is working. Dullards may never notice anything if they are preoccupied. ;)

My $.02

A week ago I was waiting in a park like area to photograph my daughter before homecoming. A man, his wife, and child were there. They were walking aroung the area, dad looking at his phone and mom and child wandering around. soon they got in there car. I just walked over and asked, "are you geocaching?" The look on their faces was precious.

No one else noticed the type of behavior. Having found 2 caches in the same spot, of course I knew. They had found it, but didn't want to attract attention. Good call. I went over and looked at the cache, all around me were oblivious to what I was doing. Stealth is good if radar is working. Dullards may never notice anything if they are preoccupied. ;)

My $.02

Great story.

Maybe part of the puzzle could be muggle avoidance? Just a thought from a noob. I work in a major airport, when I need to walk to another area and want to avoid questions like "Where can I get a taco?", I have carried a piece of paper and had a look of annoyance on my face. Never been bothered once. Nobody wants to talk to someone who is going to chew someone else out. Other times, like near the end of a shift and I am heading to punch out, I often do get questions, which I am usually happy to answer. Attitude sells it. I am still figuring out how to get this to work, I have a safety vest and would like an official looking iron on to really sell it. Any ideas?

Hang the biggest yellow tape measure you can find from your belt. If you're going to use it strictly as a geocaching ploy you can open it up and remove the tape which will make it considerably lighter.

I haven't actually used this trick for geocaching yet because I'm brand new at it, but I've worked in several trades where I had to carry a tape and having one on my belt usually seemed to satisfy people's curiosity when they caught me closely examining something.

If you really want to look the part, add the previously-mentioned clipboard to the disguise. :unsure:

Pete

My dog covers most of my tracks of sketchiness for me.

I did burst out on this couple walking a trail once with my dog.

I wouldnt normally have cared, but the cache location was close and they were startled by me. I just looked them right in the eye, shook my head and said, "That was NOT a shortcut." They left laughing.

I guess my only stealth tools are my dog and wit.

I realize this post is quite old, but this is perfect! I too, do a lot of caching with my dog. I have never been asked what I've been doing but I have gotten some strange looks as I come trampling out of the woods. I usually just act like I know what I'm doing and keep on walking.

For the most part, I don't search if there is any people around. I would probably have a lot less DNF's if I had a little more guts. I use the 'GPS-as-cell-phone' trick almost every time I go caching.

If, and when I get asked (because I'm sure it will happen soon), I plan on just being honest. Like everyone else has said, it's not illegal. I'll just say I'm geocaching, participating in a world-wide scavenger hunt!

My dog covers most of my tracks of sketchiness for me.

I did burst out on this couple walking a trail once with my dog.

I wouldnt normally have cared, but the cache location was close and they were startled by me. I just looked them right in the eye, shook my head and said, "That was NOT a shortcut." They left laughing.

I guess my only stealth tools are my dog and wit.

I realize this post is quite old, but this is perfect! I too, do a lot of caching with my dog. I have never been asked what I've been doing but I have gotten some strange looks as I come trampling out of the woods. I usually just act like I know what I'm doing and keep on walking.

For the most part, I don't search if there is any people around. I would probably have a lot less DNF's if I had a little more guts. I use the 'GPS-as-cell-phone' trick almost every time I go caching.

If, and when I get asked (because I'm sure it will happen soon), I plan on just being honest. Like everyone else has said, it's not illegal. I'll just say I'm geocaching, participating in a world-wide scavenger hunt!

:( I always find it amusing imaging what people are thinking when they see my husband and I coming out from the trees or bushes. :D:P

Have one person stand by a nearby tree and act like he/she is getting sick. The other person looks around for the cache and if someone asks what you are doing say you are looking for the dramamine you dropped in the bushes.

Okay tell me this. We have a cache in a nearby town that is right smack dab by one of the busiest streets in the big city. You have to do the electric slide and when you are done doing the dance you should be standing in front of the cache. How can you be stealthy on that one?