Dutch 12 Provincien Geocoin Race just started!

Twin Peaks

April 1 00.00 hr. the Dutch Geocoin Race has started.

More than 300 coins will be sent on their way, to race through all the 12 Dutch provinces.

You can see the list of participants here: Dutch Geocoinrace

Big winner is the coin who finishes first after visiting at least 1 cache in all 12 provinces.

The first edition was already a succes, with almost 150 contestants.

This year we more than doubled it!

The race will go on for a year, and there are bonuspoints to be earned for several challenges.

There will be monthly raffles, for cachers who moved a coin also.

Contesting in the race is free, but donations for the prizes are / were welcome.

Through the weeks, we saw the number of contestants growing, but we are / were falling a bit behind on the donations for prizes.

To this moment we don't have enough prizes for all categories and the monthly raffles.

I started emailing some of my friends, some of them in the US, and I send a letter to all the coin-companies (producers), coinshops, goodies-shops, Geocachers webshops etc. asking for donations.

About 15 emails to my friends, and 25 to the different coinshops, producers etc.

I must say: I am a bit surprised.

I got the nicest reactions from most of my friends, sending me coins, goodies etc. (well 12 of them)

Groundspeak has donated a number of their Lackey coins.

One of my friends even donated his Moun10Bike V3 !

BUT.....From the 25 mails I sent to the different companies..........I got 3 reactions. (you can read their names on the geocoinrace website)

I should say: I am rather dissappointed.

Is it only about making money with these companies?

A lot of us, cachers, are spending lots of money on coins, so a lot of these companies are making money I guess, and there is nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong, but......

Give them a chance to show their goodwill. To do something back for the community and what do you get?: a big ZERO

Of the 25 mails I've sent, 22 don't even take the trouble to send me an answer.

The same companies, who sent me their newsletters every week or so. announcing new coins by the dozens.

Can you understand my dissappointment?

By the way, the Dutch 12 provincien Geocoinrace is open for cachers all over the world.

There is only 1 problem: the site is in Dutch, but if you want to join: find a Dutch cacher (you must know a few) who will explain (translate) things to you and enter your coin in the race. Send him / her the coin and he / she will drop it in a cache for you.

You can enter the race untill April 14.

And Yes....we still need more donations too :laughing:

Edited by Twin Peaks

April 1 00.00 hr. the Dutch Geocoin Race has started.

By the way, the Dutch 12 provincien Geocoinrace is open for cachers all over the world.

There is only 1 problem: the site is in Dutch, but if you want to join: find a Dutch cacher (you must know a few) who will explain (translate) things to you and enter your coin in the race. Send him / her the coin and he / she will drop it in a cache for you.

You can enter the race untill April 14.

So, if you're interested I will help YOU too. Sent me your Racecoin and I'll release them.

My donation is organising the FINISH event at the end of the Race. And maybe some ammoboxes :)

The Dutch 12 Provincien Geocoinrace has started at April 1 , 00.00hrs. with an amazing 327 contestants.

Can you imagine that! 327 geocoins racing through a country as small as ours!!

That is more than double the number of coins in this years Premier Geocoin race in the USA, which has 149 contestants (so I am told)

(for your information: NL measures 41.528 square kilometres, while the USA measures 9.37 million square kilometres)

You can fit our country in the USA about ..eeehh....226 times.

For any of you that want to join our race: you can enlist untill April 14.

Just contact a Dutch cacher (preferrably one contesting in the race, as they know all the ins and outs) and they will be glad to help.

hello - i will add a prize to the list - you have always been so helpful when i email you! one of my coins is in the netherlands by accident so it can go into the race eh!

edit: there _ i think i signed him up ok - my dutch is not so good!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=403773

oops -I see it is not allowed ot start from a cache- perhaps you can change that rule just for international visitors who donate a prize ;) "Each coin is participating physically in the hands of the owner before the race start, this may not already in a cache sit before the start of the race."

I mean it is not physically in the hands of the owner - but a dutch cacher has got this coin before the race start on april 1st and is still holding it.

Edited by forthferalz

hello - i will add a prize to the list - you have always been so helpful when i email you! one of my coins is in the netherlands by accident so it can go into the race eh!

oops -I see it is not allowed ot start from a cache- perhaps you can change that rule just for international visitors who donate a prize :( "Each coin is participating physically in the hands of the owner before the race start, this may not already in a cache sit before the start of the race."

I mean it is not physically in the hands of the owner - but a dutch cacher has got this coin before the race start on april 1st and is still holding it.

Forthfealz, we wish you luck on the dutchrace, that the best may win :unsure:

Hope that i can help your coin move forward

oops -I see it is not allowed ot start from a cache- perhaps you can change that rule just for international visitors who donate a prize :( "Each coin is participating physically in the hands of the owner before the race start, this may not already in a cache sit before the start of the race."

Thank you for your participation and support, Carolyn!

I will try to locate your coin, it is not too far from my home (haha... living in the heart of the Netherlands it can never be more than 200km :unsure: )

I will attach a racecard and see to it that it gets a proper start!

grtz, Sjoerd

89f9219c-dd39-45e8-abc4-e97238ba4c1e.jpg

The Pit Crew of the Dutch 12 Provincien Geocoin Race 2008, would like to wish all International entries a great race through our country.

to this day we have 338 contestants!

May the best team win!!

Also, we would like to thank all those who support the race with donations!

With your help we got the prizes for the different categories covered.

Special thanks to:

Groundspeak

CoinsandPins

Oakcoins/Geoswag

Landsharkz

Worldcaching_com

Rothstafari

Team OleOmi

Forthferalz

....and a few others, who wish to remain anonymous

for all the coins, grab-bags, goodies, gift certificates etc.

You're the best guys, we love you!!!

Your Pit Crew:

delta123 - franky639 - Wilg - Twin Peaks - Professor X - Martijn & Martine

Edited by Twin Peaks