GLO monument stamping question

Mesa Mike

On the closing corner survey disk pictured below, what does the 'C' stamped after each section ID signify?

"CC" stamped onto a Public Lands Survey System (or General Land Office aka GLO) monument stands for "Closing Corner". Closing corners generally fall on township boundaries, or where townships or PLSS lands are adjacent to other, non-PLSS lands, such as Spanish Land Grant Ranchos or Indian Reservations. In this case, the land West of the monument is identified as the Baca Location No. 1 on the USGS topo maps.

This mark is identifying the Closing Corner (CC) for the Southwesterly Corner of Section 34 (S34), Township 19 North (T19N), Range 5 East (R5E), and the Northwesterly Corner of Section 3 (S3), Township 18 North (T18N), Range 5 East (R5E), New Mexico Base & Meridian, adjoining the easterly boundary of Baca Location (BL) No. 1.

- Kewaneh

Thanks, I thought the 'C's stamped on the disk might have to do with closing corners....

A little closer in:

I found the mark where the red section line intersects the Baca Location #1 north-south boundary line.

It looks like the topo map has the closing corner offset a little bit to the west. (??)

b7823926-c126-45af-a1b2-9a8f90b263c7.jpg

...It looks like the topo map has the closing corner offset a little bit to the west. (??)

That's possible. Closing Corners are generally used for section line alignment only and not for true position of the boundary line being closed on. The boundary of the Baca Location would be defined by the property monuments for the Baca Location. The true position of the westerly end of the Section Line would be where the Baca Location boundary line intersected the East/West section line (in this case, it's actually a Township line) as defined by the Closing Corner and the next PLSS monument to the east. A Closing Corner could be either west or east of that true position.

- Kewaneh

I also think that it might be a Corner for each section specified.

Closing Corners on PLSS,GLO are in the Township Corner SE at Sections 31-36, 1-6.

This is a closing corner for a National Boundry for Bandelier.

It is also a County Line Division with Mile Posts going north,if you look around Chicoma Mountain you will also see a Grant Boundry.

The numbers can also be used to find your distance from the New Mexico Initial Point.

Is this considered a closing corner?

It's the next mark to the east along that same township line...

Closing corners are to be stamped "CC" per the PLSS Manual of Instructions. This corner is, as CallawayMT stated, a Standard Corner.

Interior sections within a Township are, by design, laid out from the southeast corner of the township to the North and West. Error in exterior Township line alignment are accounted for within the most northerly and westerly sections within that Township. Closing Corners generally only fall on the northerly line of a Township, (and along the westerly Township line in some of the earlier laid-out [early 1800's] Townships). As such, it is not uncommon for the lines of the Northerly Sections of one Township to be mis-aligned with the lines of the Southerly Sections of the adjoining Township to the north. Closing Corners are used to define the Section Lines lying south of the Township line, where Standard Corners are used to define the Section Lines lying north of that Township line.

As I said in my earlier post though, closing corners can fall on lines where PLSS lands are adjacent to other, non-PLSS lands. That means, by exception, they can be just about anywhere within a township, placed from any direction, not just the South or East. Correct stamping per PLSS instructions, along with properly executed mapping proceedure, can be very critical on corners where exceptions are the rule. By looking at the topo map for the area of the corners Mesa Mike is showing, it looks like there could be many rule exceptions around there.

- Kewaneh

...Closing Corners on PLSS,GLO are in the Township Corner SE at Sections 31-36, 1-6...

A corner common to four Townships, common to Sections 1, 6, 31, & 36, would never be a Closing Corner. They are positioned prior to any interior Section Corners and control the position of any and all interior Section and Closing Corners.

- Kewaneh

OK thanks for the help. You all are great.

If I understand you all correctly, then what I have in the following map fragment is a standard corner on the left and a closing corner on the right.

SC-CC.png

Next question:

What do you call the type of corner illustrated here, where a section line takes a bend. What kind of marker might I expect to be able find, if I looked for it?

corner7379.png

For more context, look here.

If I understand you all correctly, then what I have in the following map fragment is a standard corner on the left and a closing corner on the right.

SC-CC.png

Yes, that is correct.

Next question:

What do you call the type of corner illustrated here, where a section line takes a bend. What kind of marker might I expect to be able find, if I looked for it?

corner7379.png

For more context, look here.

This is also a Standard Corner, but it's also an exception as it is also an angle point. It may be labeled as such with an added "AP". In theory, there aren't angles in townships. In reality, they are common, particularly at the quarter corners immediately south and east of township lines, but they are not always labeled or identified.

It should be said here that it is very common to find exceptions rather than rules when dealing with the Public Land Survey System. In some areas more than others. Those exceptions are not the result of poor surveying, in fact they are (usually) quite the opposite. The exceptions are the result of applying a theoretical square figure (township/range/section) onto a circle (the earth's surface) subdivided by parallel lines of latitude and converging lines of longitude. Combined with many natural obstacles (rugged mountainous areas, rivers, etc.) and manmade political obstacles (ie. reservation and rancho lines) this proved to be a difficult task. The PLSS Manual of Instructions was developed to assist the Government surveyor combine that theory to the world's reality. As confusing as some of it may be, there is a rhyme and reason to all of it. (That rhyme and reason also applies to the development of benchmark systems and triangulation networks.)

Given the working conditions many of the surveyor's endured, and the tools they had to use (when compared to modern equipment), and the rules they had to apply (theoretical, mathmatical, and physical, and legal) in order to get their work completed, what they accomplished was nothing short of miraculous, and in most cases, perfect. Modern equipment cannot replicate what they did any better (but it does make it easier).

- Kewaneh

Domain Qualifiers Description

CLOSING - "Closing corners are intended to be established where a closing line intersects a

boundary already fixed in position. While the closing corner thereafter controls the direction of

the closing line, a failure to place it at the true intersection does not alter the position of the line

closed upon..." (BLM 1973, paragraph 3-73).

From here:

PLSS DATA BASE DEFINITIONS

See also:

GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATER