Colorado 300 Battery Issue

I just got my 300 last friday. There are a couple of issues I would like to know what the rest of you have heard. I am sure these are answered on this site somewhere.

Sometimes when I turn the unit on it will not power up like it should. It will bring up the Garmin logo and at the bottom of the screen it says "loading maps" and it locks up like that. I turn it off then on and it will do the same thing. The batteries are fresh. I pull the batteries and put in a new set and it will work. If I turn it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on it will sometimes do the same thing.

I am using Energizer Rechargeables 2500mAH. They are the same ones I use in my 60cx and they worked fine in there.

Also the rear cover is a bear to remove, any secrets to removing the cover. If my wife ever needs to change batteries she will have a hard time doing so.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

I've not had any problem removing the battery cover.

I had a heck of a time with my cover when I first got it. Over time, it seems to just get easier to remove - either I get more savvy or something loosens up.

Edited by nicolo

I have a similar problem with my cover, its a bit tight although as noted in nicolo's post it has loosened up some. I also used a small amount of silicone grease on the o ring around the battery compartment. Don't remove the o ring its not necessary. Just put a small amount of the silicone on it. You can pick it up form some hardware stores or a place that handles bearings, like Motion Ind. Plumbing shops carry it for o rings also. Vaseline (petroleum jelly )is not a good substitute as it can cause an O ring to expand. I also had a start up (only once like you did) just cycling the power (removing the batteries) fixed it. If this happens on a regular basis you should contact Garmin.

Edited by WoodenShoe

have u check the system setup battery type to nimh?

mine did the same thing, but as soon as i change to nimh setting, it worked great. i have the 2500 energizer, but i found out the duracell 2650 works much much better than 2500 energizer.(my experience)

good luck

I have had 2 garmin colorado 300's with serial numbers very close to each other and the battery will only last for about 3 hours. I am using normal duracell batteries. What is the problem? Is there serial number series with known problems?

have u check the system setup battery type to nimh?

mine did the same thing, but as soon as i change to nimh setting, it worked great. i have the 2500 energizer, but i found out the duracell 2650 works much much better than 2500 energizer.(my experience)

good luck

It is set to nimh. What is the actual difference between a 2500 batt. and a 2650?