Hiding my first

juggalo30

The first thing I suggest to people is to find quite a few. Looks like you've found 35. Then I suggest that you read the guidelines.

I also doesn't look like the area you find caches in is all that dense. So at this point, I'd suggest finding a GREAT location - one that not many people know about. Then I suggest that you read the guidelines.

Then figure out if you need permission to place a cache there (state rules, local park rules, etc.). Then I suggest that you read the guidelines.

Finally, find a suitable container - one where the size matches the environment. Construct the cache in such a way as you'd like to find - trade items, size, hiding style, etc. Then I suggest that you read the guidelines.

Then with full knowledge of the other caches in the area (at least have them in your GPS), I suggest that you read the guidelines. Then go out and find a location for the cache and make it as concealed as possible. Remember that if you have dense foliage now, it might be gone in the wintertime.

Mark the coordinates of your hide - and make sure you've got clear views of the satellites. Then come back and submit the cache on the online form. Be sure to put any "extra" information that might speed the review process in the reviewer notes.

Wait 72 hours after you submit it. If the reviewer gets to it sooner, great. But that's the guideline. While you're waiting, I suggest that you read the guidelines and make sure that there's nothing that your cache would flag as a problem to the reviewer.

Did I mention that I suggest that you read the guidelines. :)

As others said, read the guidelines. The 10 minutes it takes you to do so may save you hours of extra work later on if you have to re-work the cache due to a guideline violation.

Next:

1. Find a good place for it. A good place is one that people would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there. Could be a nice view, an interesting geological feature, an historic site, a scenic spot along a stream, a quiet place in the forest, an out of the way or unknown park, an oddity or just a pleasant walk. Before you select a spot, consider why you are bringing people there. If it's just for the cache, choose another spot.

2. Determine if there are any regulations governing geocaching in your chosen area. I know NC state parks have a permit system with prohibitive fees. Other places may require permission. If it's private property, landowner permission is mandatory.

3. Choose an appropriate sized container for your selected location. A high traffic area will call for a smaller, more easily concealed container. Something a bit more out of the way can usually handle a larger container. Here is an article about containers that might be helpful.

Optionally camoflage the container to make it harder for non geocachers to spot. Label it clearly as a geocache and place contact info on the outside . If it's an ammo box, remove all military markings.

Make sure your container is durable and watertight to reduce the amount of maintenance you will need to perform. I don't think any geocachers like finding a cache with wet logbook and slimy, rusted contents.

4. Add a logbook and swag (trade items). You don't have to break the bank, but a few inexpensive items that might be useful to others are always appreciated. Maybe have a few things for the kids (Hot Wheels, water colors, boxes of crayons or colored chalk) and a few things for adults (emergency ponchos, insect repellent wipes, small tools). There are numerous threads here that discuss ideas for trade items. Use the forum search feature to call up a few old threads on the subject.

5. Hide your cache. Consider the potential impact on the area. Avoid caches in stone walls, as they are often pulled apart by searchers. I like to make my caches easy for people who are looking for it to find, but unlikely that someone will accidentally discover them. If you want to make a "clever" or difficult hide, try to chose an area with a durable surface (rock outcrops, paved or other hard surfaces) to reduce impact.

Choose a spot where searchers won't be readily observed if you want your cache to last. Spots outside office buildings, businesses or near homes are not good choices if you want to avoid problems with non geocachers interfering with your cache.

6. Mark the coordinates. Make sure you have a good sat signal and alignment (sats all in a row = bad), let your unit settle for 2-3 minutes and mark your waypoint. If your unit does waypoint averaging, use it, but if it doesn't, no need to manually average.

7. Submit your cache.

8. Maintain your cache. Be ready to respond promptly to reported problems and if you lose interest, please remove it and archive it. Don't leave geotrash behind.

Edited by briansnat

so what ya'll are saying is that i should read the guide lines right? :)

You'll be amazed by all the people who obviously don't read them, spend hours working on an elaborate cache only to find that it won't be listed because it was buried, or too close to RR tracks, or next to a school, etc.