GPS Units With Built In Software For Paperless Catching

have heard that the Triton didn't, did, and then didn't again.....at least that is what I have read in the Forums. I have actually seen it as well. However, I have experienced Magellan's lack of CS and went for the Colorado. It is great for paperless caching and after another update I think it will be perfect for me.

Another consideration is the Delorme PN-20. I love mine. A cheaper option and almost totally paperless caching (800 character limit).

I was looking at the Garmin 60scx and for less money and the bonus of paperless caching the choice was easy and I'm glad I made it. Do some research. Of course there are pros and cons to all of them. If you've got specific questions on the PN-20 feel free to email me.

Beware...my PDA was stolen and I just never realized how handy that thing was. The PN-20 will not be a PDA subsitute. I'm sure there are some more expensive models that will do both, such as the Colorado.

I actually own the Triton.

And yes, it makes a fine paperless geocaching unit... gives the description, hint, and loads of other data. The only thing it doesn't give is the last five log entries.

If you buy a Triton, make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware via VantagePoint. It makes a great low cost alternative to the Colorado if you are going to use the unit for geocaching mostly.

One feature I would love is a gps that you can download the cache gpx files into it so you have the complete cache info with you. My pda battery has died and I don't want to replace it since I don't use it for anything else anymore.

So any of the newer gps have this feature? Thanks in advance!

Personally I'd recommend you get a replacement battery for your PDA or just go grab another cheap PDA from Ebay. The last time I checked there weren't any GPSr units on the market that are "fully paperless capable" and by that I mean a unit that holds the cache info, hint, past logs, AND has an ability for me to enter data INTO the unit once I've found a cache. This I feel is an important part of paperless caching especially if you're going after a bunch of caches on a single outing.

There are some commercial "ruggedized PDA/GPS" combos out there that would be awesome Geocaching units, but the prices are scary! Please someone PLEASE make a cheap (relatively) rugged PDA GPS soon!

One feature I would love is a gps that you can download the cache gpx files into it so you have the complete cache info with you. My pda battery has died and I don't want to replace it since I don't use it for anything else anymore.

Personally I'd recommend you get a replacement battery for your PDA or just go grab another cheap PDA from Ebay. The last time I checked there weren't any GPSr units on the market that are "fully paperless capable" and by that I mean a unit that holds the cache info, hint, past logs, AND has an ability for me to enter data INTO the unit once I've found a cache. This I feel is an important part of paperless caching especially if you're going after a bunch of caches on a single outing.

There are some commercial "ruggedized PDA/GPS" combos out there that would be awesome Geocaching units, but the prices are scary! Please someone PLEASE make a cheap (relatively) rugged PDA GPS soon!

As soon as they come out with a GPS that does wireless connectivity, I'll interface it to my iPhone. In all other respects you can do it all with the iPhone.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mcmpE6YjdE

for a movie of mine. The only thing you mention that I haven't yet added is the ability to VIEW log info. I already added the ability MAKE log entries in the field. The log info is there in the GPX's so I just need to go ahead and add that part. Should have that done by this weekend sometime.

I WISH they had opened up BlueTooth on the iPhone. I have a Wintec unit that is spot on and very sensitive. It also has serial data output so that is a possible option as well. Wireless would be the cat's meow for the iPhone though because that's how they clearly want you to work in the Apple world. I'm expecting someone to do an external GPS for the iPhone any time now. But other than only using one unit, I'm paperless now with my eTrex Legend and the iPhone. I have all of the required info at my fingertips and Google maps for driving directions to boot.

-dB

http://www.ayefon.com - Unique software for your iPhone

As soon as they come out with a GPS that does wireless connectivity, I'll interface it to my iPhone. In all other respects you can do it all with the iPhone.

There are tons of wireless GPS units. Lots of people run wireless GPS dongles and PDAs.

I just recently went paperless - considered the Colorado but got a 60CSx and a used Palm instead.

How well do the dongle-equipped PDAs work for caching? I doubt they're as rugged of course, but what about software? The car GPS's are nice, but lack the abitlity (at least mine does) to do the bits needed to find a cache.

I thought about the PDA/gps route but was afraid I'd be swimming upstream alone trying to get it to work for caching.

I just recently went paperless - considered the Colorado but got a 60CSx and a used Palm instead.

How well do the dongle-equipped PDAs work for caching? I doubt they're as rugged of course, but what about software? The car GPS's are nice, but lack the abitlity (at least mine does) to do the bits needed to find a cache.

I thought about the PDA/gps route but was afraid I'd be swimming upstream alone trying to get it to work for caching.

You can use Garmin's mapping program on the PDA and Cachemate for cache maintenance. Works fine....but...PDAs are not sturdy or waterproof.

The Colorado will do this for you. Just download your PQ's in GPX format and not only will the Colorado show the description but recent logs as well. In Geocache Profile if you have CityNav loaded it will show you the road route as well.

Bazzer