Deleting found caches from the Garmin Colorado

Actually, you can't directly from the unit it appears.

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

Down about halfway in the "Waypoints & POIs" section, it says you cannot delete waypoints by symbol (that would kill me). :)

I think you would have to download all waypoints, manage them inside your computer, delete all waypoints from the GPS, then upload the new waypoints to the GPS.

Not quie as Mtn-Man states. Geocaches and Waypoints are completely separate things.

There is no way to delete or add Geocaches on the unit at this time.

You need to replace your Geocaching GPX file on the unit with one that has the caches you want.

Sheesh.... just one more reason I won't be swapping my 76CSx for a Colorado. I was sooooooo excited at the idea of a GPS the would let me get rid of the Palm and have all the info in a single unit. The more I read about the Colorado and the things it doesn't do the less impressed I am by the things it can do.

So let me get this right.

Option 1:

Deleting and copy 2 files to your GPS and have all the info at hand, on one device.

OR

Option 2:

Copy files to your GPS.

Copy files to your PDA.

Use GPS to get close.

Switch to PDA and look up cache to get more info.

Hmmm, let's see...

Maintain, carry, and read one device or two?

I think I'm liking my decision to get a Colorado more and more!

Edited by XopherN71

I love my new ColoradoNT but I can't figure out how to delete the found caches. Help, please.

I have had my CO since late Jan., but I am certainly no expert. This is a really easy process whether you are using GSAK or loading your caches on at a time, so here goes:

1) Connect your Colorado to your computer using the provided cable.

2) Wait on it to show up on the screen of your computer.

3) Just like on a USB drive, click the option to "Open Folder to view files" near the bottom.

4) Once you are viewing the files, double-click on Garmin, then double-click on GPX. If you have loaded the caches individually, you will see them listed here by their gc.com waypoint number, and you can delete them one-by-one by right clicking and choosing delete. If you send a Pocket Querie to GSAK, then to the Colorado, you will see that name listed there, and you just right click on the name (I named mine geocaches) and choose delete, and then run a new filter in GSAK and load it in the GPX folder on the Colorado.

This is the Reader's Digest version, but if you need more specific help, just email, and I will be glad to help.

bluemustangpride@msn.com

BMP

From the Field notes page under your account:

To upload your Garmin Colorado's Field Notes:

Plug your Garmin Colorado into your computer with a USB cable.

Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the Garmin directory on your Colorado's drive.

Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

We recommend that you delete the "geocache_visits.txt" file on the Colorado once your Field Notes are uploaded.

Once the Field Notes are uploaded you can return to the Field Notes list page to start logging your finds.

This is how you reset your "found caches" for field notes but I do not know if it also deletes the caches from your list. I just delete the .gpx file and install a new one after I log my caches vie field notes.

Edited by victorymike

If you are doing pocket queries, be sure to tell the query generator to ignore caches you have found. After you run the query and extract the new files, just delete the two old nnnnn.gpx and nnnnn-wpts.gpx files and copy the new ones to the unit.

This will work for the geocaches but for child waypoints you'll need to delete them first on the Colorado and reload the wpt.gpx file. Simply replacing the gpx file will get you new waypoints but it won't remove the old ones.

GO$Rs

I wasn't 100% sure about this myself but after running a quick test I think geocache_visits.txt is just an output of the Colorado for the purposes of field notes. Every time you Log Attempt on a Geocache an entry is added to this file. The found/unfound status is kept in internal databases and is not affected by changing or deleting this file.

I'm guessing that Groundspeak recommends you remove this file after uploading because they have a timestamp bug in the field note support that uploads duplicate field notes in some cases if you don't delete the file.

GO$Rs

I'm guessing that Groundspeak recommends you remove this file after uploading because they have a timestamp bug in the field note support that uploads duplicate field notes in some cases if you don't delete the file.

GO$Rs

If you don't delete it, the next time you upload your field notes, you will get all the same logs again.

Sheesh.... just one more reason I won't be swapping my 76CSx for a Colorado. I was sooooooo excited at the idea of a GPS the would let me get rid of the Palm and have all the info in a single unit. The more I read about the Colorado and the things it doesn't do the less impressed I am by the things it can do.

I don't see the problem????

When they are logged as found, they show up in a "found" list and do not appear as "unfound" geocaches on the unit. I do not really understand the "need" to "delete" a found cache in the field. What purpose does it serve?

Trust me, the Colorado is MUCH better when caching than the 76csx......

Edited by Red90

I would agree that not being able to delete a geocache isn't a big deal. And for the most part, yes, the Colorado is better in geocaching mode, but there are several areas where the 60/76 series is better:

1) Multis/mystery caches. I did a series of 12-13 multi/mysteries this weekend. Each had 2-3 parts. Laying down additional waypoints as cache stages is a pain on the Colorado because you have to leave geocaching mode. Over a 1/3 of the caches I do are either multis or unknowns and involve additional waypoints. The geocaching mode becomes more of a nuisance than a help. On the 60cs since geocaches are just waypoints you could add a new unfound geocache waypoint for the intermediate steps, complete the current leg as found and goto the next.

2) Working with child waypoints. Many caches around here have parking/trailhead child waypoints. Let's say I know the name of the cache I want to find and I want to check if there is a trailhead or parking nearby. You cannot, at least not easily, on the Colorado. On a 60cs this is a two step find, find the cache then find nearby waypoints, select the parking that matches the cache and off you go.

3) Switching between off route and autorouting mode. On the 60csx it was a matter of setting the routing mode to "prompted" and I could decide if I wanted to go on road or off road for every goto. On the Colorado you can do this by changing profiles but it isn't nearly as convenient.

4) Archiving found cache data. I like to archive my daily tracks and found caches. Unfortunately current.gpx has no record of your found/DNF caches. I have to manually add waypoints to the file after I'm done. The Colorado needs to dump a waypoint into current.gpx for each cache on the found list/dnf list.

There are others but these are the big ones that I'm still hoping Garmin will fix given they are all possible or easier to do on the 60cs.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs I could not agree more on doing a multi. With the Colorado its is a real pain in the... I have created a WP for this and edited the cords but its time consuming, or if its just a two stage, I just write down the cords (there goes paperless) and watch the Data field on the geocaching screen that has Locations Long/Lat on it till it matches the new cords and most of the time a can walk right to the cache. One other thing that was a waste of time was putting the profile selection on the shortcuts...I thought that wold be a nice way to switch profiles without as much button pushing....bad idea.... switching to most profiles switches the shortcuts and takes the profile selection out of shortcuts. Being able to switch between off route and autorouting mode sure would help when in the WP screen though. Garmin needs to fix this!!

Edited by WoodenShoe

I don't see the problem????

When they are logged as found, they show up in a "found" list and do not appear as "unfound" geocaches on the unit. I do not really understand the "need" to "delete" a found cache in the field. What purpose does it serve?

No kidding, what's the big deal? The caches that are marked as found ( or DNF's ) even show up as a different icon than what they were originally ... an open treasure chest. You can tell at a glance that you've visited the cache.

Sheesh ... just one more reason to say "Sheesh" to all the whiners who aren't paying attention.

Edited by nicolo

Apples and oranges.....

It is different.... I don't find any of this "harder" to use.... It sounds more that you want it the way it was. I've cached with people on multis and mysteries that have 60 series and I get the coordinates and the guidance in as quickly as they do. It is just done differently. You need to learn to spin the wheel.....

There is a MUCH easier way to go from auto-routing to off road and back.... :laughing: than what is explained above......and it is not really any slower than a 60csx.... There is no need to switch profiles......

Apples and oranges.....

It is different.... I don't find any of this "harder" to use.... It sounds more that you want it the way it was. I've cached with people on multis and mysteries that have 60 series and I get the coordinates and the guidance in as quickly as they do. It is just done differently. You need to learn to spin the wheel.....

There is a MUCH easier way to go from auto-routing to off road and back.... ;) than what is explained above......and it is not really any slower than a 60csx.... There is no need to switch profiles......

So what's the "MUCH easier way" to go from auto-routing <> off road and back?

(I just unboxed my 400t & the maps SD today and I'm at the very bottom of the learning curve.)

BTW- the owners manual Garmin includes should actually be called the "Quick Start Guide". It's basically worthless as a full owners manual for something so techniclly advanced.

No examples, no demos, and lots of info missing that I had to gleen off of forums such as this. (Thank god for Google!)

Such as: Where to put the Pocket Queries xxx.GPX files, or that you can have more than 1 .GPX file in the E:/Garmin/GPX directory, etc. I got that from posts from you all here. GARMIN - Are you listning????

I was hoping to do some hunting today now that I had one of my (very) rare days off. Instead I spent it on the computer searching the net & swearing up a storm at Garmin's document writers.

Maybe tommrow before I hit the salt mines for another month I can get out and snag a few with the Colorado (But I'm taking the 60 CSx as a backup for now.)

Thanks,

Tenevda

GPS-45, Nuvi 660, 60CSx & Colorado 400t owner

There is a MUCH easier way to go from auto-routing to off road and back.... :D than what is explained above......and it is not really any slower than a 60csx.... There is no need to switch profiles......

I know that all of us dealing with this issue would love to know what your solution is. I would bet that Garmin would also be interested since they have acknowledged that the Colorado lacks this function for going to a waypoint. Providing assistance to those of us asking questions about making the Colorado work better (or just to function as it should) would go much further in the forums than slamming people for asking questions. Waiting for the next update :D

Set your routing to "auto-route" in whatever profile you are running. Select the cache in the Geocaching utility. It will off road route in the utility. If you want to auto route, press left soft key and choose, "Go to Location". It will switch to the Map view and auto-route. When you park, shortcuts/geocaching and choose the cache which should be at the top of the list and you are off road routing.

Set your routing to "auto-route" in whatever profile you are running. Select the cache in the Geocaching utility. It will off road route in the utility. If you want to auto route, press left soft key and choose, "Go to Location". It will switch to the Map view and auto-route. When you park, shortcuts/geocaching and choose the cache which should be at the top of the list and you are off road routing.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I have to try this out sometime soon. I think that you explained this to me when I was home visiting but it wasn't clicking at the time.

Thanks.

That is exactly what I do and have no complaints with it working this way. I really like it. It is so easy. Much better than what I had to do with my 60CSX.

I think part of the problem is Garmin has not explained how the goeccaching mode works. You just have to figure it out by trail and error. For example, I thought the geocachng screen was really neat with the compass and map but wished I had more map, then one time I pushed on the bottom of the rocker button and discovered to my delight that there are 3 geocaching screens you can choose between.

Multicaches are a pain but workable. The biggest problen IMHO is a cache with a projection. You cannot project from a cache and you canot save a cache as a waypoint. I end up using my PDA to do the projection and then enter the projected waypoint.

The point of the issue brought up was for a multi or mystery cache where you have to input a new waypoint. There is a difference between finding a geocache and a waypoint. What you descibe works fine for caches and I use it that way. The same is not true for waypoints. This is what has been reported to Garmin and hopefully will be addressed so that the funtionality is the same for both.

I don't get it! It's now, basically, a one-step process, but you're unimpressed?

The Colorado needs at least one file to load the caches. I assume that you want the most recent information and maximum caches allowed for the pocket query (You are loading the file from the pocket query, aren't you?)

Now you're telling me that you WANT to have to delete found caches and then load a different file? Why go to all that work?

- Remove old file (previous gpx from pq)

- Load new file (current gpx from pq)

THAT'S ALL YOU NEED!

As I have stated before: Not all geocachers are sutible Colorado owners. Some don't like it. Some simply aren't ready.

I love mine. One laptop. One USB cord. One GPS unit. I'm caching!

...Assuming they are a premium member and can do a pocket query, rather than having a GPX file for each cache. And even then there are two GPX files that get transfered. One xxx.gpx file and a xxx-wpts.gpx file. Otherwise they have to use GSAK or some other program to build a GPX file of multiple caches and upload it.

At any rate, the Colorado is pretty cool for a paperless caching solution. We snagged another 8 caches today including a Wherigo cache. Didn't have to carry another device or kill a single tree to do them.

If you have a routable map installed, the easiest thing to do is to switch to the automotive profile, then look up the cache to navigate the roads to the cache. WHen you get close, exit the navigation, switch to a geocaching profile that does not lock to roads, go to the geocaching shortcut, pick the cache, then walk to the cache. The only caveat is the routing software assuming apartment complex roads are real roads and can be used to get to a cache.

I usually cache on the weekend, then on Sunday night I upload the field notes, log the found caches, then do a new pocket query and replace the existing on on the Colorado. Takes maybe 20 minutes, tops.

Edited by qlenfg

Coming from a newbie, do you need both gpx files from the pocket querie? I loaded the bigger one onto my CO and all the caches and info was there. Am I missing something by not loading the smaller file?

The smaller file is the child waypoints.

Coming from a newbie, do you need both gpx files from the pocket querie? I loaded the bigger one onto my CO and all the caches and info was there. Am I missing something by not loading the smaller file?

The smaller file is the child waypoints.

And those are.....?

People are trying to confuse you here. Keep it simple.

You need the larger file.

You can use the smaller file. Drag and drop it into the Colorado as well, if you like.

Those are ... other waypoints related to certain (but very few) caches. These are parking locations, trailheads, or other waypoints a cache owner wants you to be aware of before or while you are attempting their geocache.