VGA-support for Whereigo on Pocket PC

cache-checker

On my Fujitsu Siemens Pocket PC Loox 720 (480 x 640 Pixel) graphics and text is not shown correctly.

1. Splashscreen:

The image is shown in the upper left corner of a white box.

2. GPS Status:

The same issue => is shown in the upper left corner of the desired graphics box

3. Select a cartridge screen:

The textual index is noit shown correctly. of each cartridge name is only shown the upper half of the text.

As i haven't played a cartridge up to the end i cannot say whether the unlock code is also shown correctly.

It might be also be corrupted.

As there are many devices with other screen resolutions on the market (e.g. 240 x 240, ...) this seems to be a general issue for mobile devices.

The short answer is the current Player doesn't support 640x480 resolution at this time. Auto-resizing is something that is being worked on to eventually support a higher resolution. I don't have a good timeline for this additional support but it is on the short list.

Just to clearify, that Wherigo is not usable on a VGA-enabled Pocket PC i have added some hardcopies.

I hope this feature will have a chance to become implemented :)

On my Fujitsu Siemens Pocket PC Loox 720 (480 x 640 Pixel) graphics and text is not shown correctly.

1. Splashscreen:

The image is shown in the upper left corner of a white box.

2a.jpg

2. GPS Status:

The same issue => is shown in the upper left corner of the desired graphics box

3.jpg

3. Select a cartridge screen:

The textual index is noit shown correctly. of each cartridge name is only shown the upper half of the text.

1.jpg

4. Navigate to a POI:

The distanceand direction to the next waypoint is not shown correctly...

5.jpg

5. Broken texts:

4.jpg

As i haven't played a cartridge up to the end i cannot say whether the unlock code is also shown correctly.

It might be also be corrupted.

As there are many devices with other screen resolutions on the market (e.g. 240 x 240, ...) this seems to be a general issue for mobile devices.

Edited by cache-checker

Just to clearify, that Wherigo is not usable on a VGA-enabled Pocket PC i have added some hardcopies.

I hope this feature will have a chance to become implemented

Das ist merkwürdig!

Bei mir lief der Player anfangs überhaupt nicht: Das heißt mein Pocket Loox N520 hing sich fast komplett auf, wenn ich den Player gestartet habe - und mußte jedesmal resettet werden. Seit Optimierung (?) einiger Parameter in den GPS-Einstellungen des PPC und anschließend im Player läuft der Player dann doch problemlos. (Habe den PPC gerade nicht, da. Wenn ich die Parameter hier einstellen soll, bitte um Hinweis, dann mache ich es am nächsten WE)

Problemlos heißt aber nicht, dass ich damit nun einen Wherigo lösen konnte. Der Versuch "Geldregen" zu spielen, scheiterte kläglich, weil mich der PPC ständig in eine andere Richtung schickte. Ich vermute, dies liegt an der schaltbaren "Static Navigation"-Funktion, wie ich ergooglen konnte, habe es aber noch nicht überprüfen können. (wie oben: habe den PPC gerade nicht da ...)

Probleme mit der Anzeige wie von Dir beschrieben, gibt es bei meinem PPC nicht. Das Bild ist einwandfrei. Vorsichtige Frage: vielleicht hast Du den falschen Player erwischt? :laughing: wegduckend ... kann ja passieren.

M-A-P

Edited by M-A-P

Das ist merkwürdig!

Oops,

I beg your pardon. I didn't notice that this is an english speaking forum. (Sorry I just woke up!)

My comments mean: the player runs on my Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox N520 without any (?) problems.

However, this doesn't mean, that I was able to solve a Wherigo catridge. The first trial failed. I couldn't find the first stage of "Geldregen". There might be an issue with the "static navigation" option. I am working on it!

M-A-P

My comments mean: the player runs on my Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox N520 without any (?) problems.

M-A-P

The Loox N520 is a QVGA device (240 x 320 Pixel)

My Problem is the visualization on a VGA device (480 x 640 Pixel)

New devices are knocking at the door and QVGA seems to die out.

Have a look at the planned SONY Ericcson device Experia X1 with Windows Mobile 6 and a 3 inch display in WVGA-technology (800 x 480), which comes in Q2/2008. :laughing:

SONY Ericsson Xperia X1

X1.jpg

Greets, Joachim

Edited by cache-checker

The short answer is the current Player doesn't support 640x480 resolution at this time. Auto-resizing is something that is being worked on to eventually support a higher resolution. I don't have a good timeline for this additional support but it is on the short list.

Hai Jeremy,

how long is the above mentioned short list ;)

Do you have any idea when it will be running equitable on a VGA-PDA?

Thanx

Lunkelbaer

I hope this feature will have a chance to become implemented :D

Waiting for a new release of the WherigoPlayer, I found a workaround for the main display problems ... Have a look to RealVGA that allows you to switch to other dpi mode (192dpi, 128dpi, 96dpi / Changing mode needs a reset). If you want to try it, be careful : don't forget to make a backup of your device before installing it !

It works pretty good for me (HP iPAQ 214 - 640x480 - with windows mobile 6 classic). I've downloaded and installed these packs on my device :

- RealVGA_11.CAB

- ResPack128dpi.ARM.CAB (128 dpi)

- ResPack96dpi.ARM.CAB (96 dpi)

-
LangPackFRA.ARM.CAB.zip
(french for me, but choose the right pack depending on your language).

I hope this will help.

Hi - Jeremy

Just got the UK O2 version of the HTC Touch Diamond = XDA ignito.

The screen resolution is not compatible with Wherigo .... I just about managed the Tutorial but with difficulty.

I suppose that makes using Wherigo a Dead Duck :D

.. The lack of the Windows Mobile 6.1 support e.g. - GPS acquisition / sreen format makes it very unlikely that many, like myself, will bother to "revisit" the Cache type ...

I find that a great shame, as it has very good prospects of being useful in an educational environment etc.

I personally see this screen problem as a real barrier to the mode taking off, as far more devices WILL be high res. and far fewer VGA devices surviving ... 12 to 18 months ... maybe ?????

I respectfully suggest that this NEEDS to be a PRIORITY task if this mode is to survive.

Still no update on vga problem?

So the "short list" seems to be useless. :unsure:

On HTC Touch HD I get the same problems.

I also tried to switch between WVGA and VGA, but it doesn't help.

Please, could you add some setting possibility for other resolutions?

Given that more and more devices are coming out with VGA resolution, it's frustrating that this issue remains unresolved after so long. Really negates the time and effort required to put together a cartridge when it can't even be displayed properly in the Wherigo Player... :laughing:

Still no update on vga problem?

So the "short list" seems to be useless. :D

On HTC Touch HD I get the same problems.

I also tried to switch between WVGA and VGA, but it doesn't help.

Please, could you add some setting possibility for other resolutions?

Given that more and more devices are coming out with VGA resolution, it's frustrating that this issue remains unresolved after so long. Really negates the time and effort required to put together a cartridge when it can't even be displayed properly in the Wherigo Player... :lol:

VERY short sighted. There seems to be a serious inability within Groundspeak to grasp the technology advances. VGA is here to stay as a mainstream screen resolution. WVGA is here and will be mainstream by years end and beyond.

Unless they are attempting ot sandbox the player to whatever GPS manufacturer will partner with them. Which is not only an asinine strategy, but ultimately short sighted if attempting to build a user base. I have NO intention of buying a dedicated newer GPSR just to play. If the player worked on my Glofiish x500 VGA screen, I'd play....I love the concept. I would even enjoy learning the builder in an attempt to build my own Wherigo's.

Any update on this situation?...a 10 month and counting 'short' list (glad it aint on the 'long' list

Mikey

Any update on this situation?...a 10 month and counting 'short' list (glad it aint on the 'long' list

Mikey

Any updates Re VGA support?

:(

I have a HTC Touch Diamond and I installed the above linked RealVGA programs to change the DPI of the display. I used both the 96 and 128 DPI settings. While it did allow the full view of the text and graphics it made them so small that it was impractical. In the case of the 96 DPI setting the text was so small that it was painful to read for more than a few minutes.

The down side was the side effects on the rest of the phone. It wasn't worth it. I removed the RealVGA program.

What's disappointing is the fact that this thread, and Groundspeak's acknowledgment of the issue, is over a year old and yet there is still no solution. Wasn't it the PPC for which the original players were built? Why, then, does it seem that platform has been abandoned?

With this issue, and the fact they refuse to come out with a Palm-based solution, tells me they're not really that interested in this idea to take off.

Hello Jeremy,

You are talking from a short list! But since more than one year there is not a trace of a solution

of the VGA problem.

The last version of the player is from May 2008!

It looks like Groundspeak don't invent the player any longer and want Wherigo to become extinct, didn't it?

Sorry! Statements about a short list can I not take seriously as long as the latest version of the player is

older than one year!

Also nobody from Groundspeak gives a comment here for more then one year. I'm very displeased about

this behaviour.

If it is not possible for Groundspeak to give an adequate support for the Wherigo player on state of the art

mobile devices, it would be better Groundspeak never started this project!

Regards

geo-jockel

With everything said about the PPC and VGA problem with the Wherigo player and the lack of any updates.

My suggestion to Groundspeak is simply this:

Wherigo looks like it could be a lot of fun and a good addition to the Geocaching experience.

Why not "Hold All Rights to the Wherigo program" and set up a way that "Programmers" can get the source files and work on the Wherigo program then submit their updates to Groundspeak for their approval. I'm sure that Groundspeak can find testers to check out the submitted updates.

There are geocachers that are good programers out there that would probably fix the VGA problem.

It's not that Groundspeak charges for the Wherigo program! Why not open the source files you never know something good could come out of it. I just purchased a PPC and GPS for playing the Wherigo games and have the VGA problem. If I knew about the VGA problems and lack of support I probably would not have made the purchase.

WHY NOT?

:blink::):cry::cry::)

Why not "Hold All Rights to the Wherigo program" and set up a way that "Programmers" can get the source files and work on the Wherigo program then submit their updates to Groundspeak for their approval. I'm sure that Groundspeak can find testers to check out the submitted updates.
I'm wondering how projects in SourceForge and various Linux distros handle multiple people working on the same code and testing thereof. I'm also wondering how Groundspeak resource-intensive heading up such a project could be. How much control might there be over such a project? Would such a system look good to investors? If the underlying engine had to be updated every month, how would Garmin (who doesn't seem too enthusiastic about releasing updates to their receivers) take it?

There are a lot of questions, processes, and items that would need to be addressed for such a thing. It's not as simple as opening it to the masses. It does seem nice in theory, but I'm wondering about the gritty details. Not being a part of an open source project myself, I can't say.

It is now OVER a year since I posted my comments .....

Why has NOTHING been done ?

Let us call "a spade , a spade" !!

Garmin produce a 'device' with Wherigo = QED = Groundspeak take "their cut" = the PAYING GC.COM members 'sponsored' the DEATH of the PDA/smartphone based Wherigo player .....

Let us face it == we were the 'mugs' who road-tested it - wrote the caches for it - and now are tossed aside while someone else :D:D:D takes home the bacon :D

With all those winking smilies, I can't figure out if you're kidding, The Syllogiser. Any response to certain issues can generate "discussions" that best belong outside the Wherigo forum.

I'll only say these things:

-- It was a mistake/shortsighted for Groundspeak not to test their PPC Player on the most popular PDA at that time, the Dell Axim.

-- I believe Groundspeak is still in the hole with Wherigo and it'll take several years before it turns a profit.

-- Only investors and stakeholders should have grounds to be concerned with a business's expenditures. Besides, Groundspeak is absurdly generous with their giveaways. You'll recoup your premium membership by winning only two or three Groundspeak-donated door prizes a year.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Ranger Fox

I'm wondering how projects in SourceForge and various Linux distros handle multiple people working on the same code and testing thereof. I'm also wondering how Groundspeak resource-intensive heading up such a project could be. How much control might there be over such a project? Would such a system look good to investors? If the underlying engine had to be updated every month, how would Garmin (who doesn't seem too enthusiastic about releasing updates to their receivers) take it?

There are a lot of questions, processes, and items that would need to be addressed for such a thing. It's not as simple as opening it to the masses. It does seem nice in theory, but I'm wondering about the gritty details. Not being a part of an open source project myself, I can't say.

Not that I can address every issue, but I worked for a while on the Bugzilla open source bug tacker. Bugzilla was (and still is) the bug tracker used by the Mozilla web browser developers. As such, we based most of our development policies on what the Mozilla organization did. There were a few people that had write access to the code repository. These people were authorized to review user submitted patches and, if the held up to the review/testing, commit that code to the main repository. It was the reviewer's job to make sure that before they started their testing, the were running the most recent HEAD revision of the code. If a patch did not apply cleanly, it was not the reviewers responsibility to fix that (though sometimes they did anyway). The people that had commit access also tended to watch the checkins to the Bugzilla code to make sure that unauthorized code wasn't checked in (such as by somebody that had access to other parts of the Mozilla codebase). Later in the project, they also added an "approval" step to the checkin process. Once the patch was reviewed and ready for checkin, the reviewer would then have to get an approval from the project manager (or somebody he designated) before they could actually run the "cvs commit" command.

Translating that to Groundspeak, I'd say the lackeys would be the ones who have commit access. Before committing any major features, they'd probably have to get an approval from their boss (not sure how GS is run). Once they were comfortable with the development model, they may open commit access up to people outside the company, but I would certainly expect that this wouldn't be the case initially.

Not sure if this clears things up or muddies the waters :D.

Help. I would like to use this on my HD2. It sort of works but resolution is still an issue. Having got past the bluetooth GPS issue and put my cartridges in the correct folder the cartridge choice screen has real problems.

Is this still a project in train. Is anyone working on this.

I am not going to install realvga

The Java version did not run for me

When wil the PPC version work???

Help. I would like to use this on my HD2. It sort of works but resolution is still an issue. Having got past the bluetooth GPS issue and put my cartridges in the correct folder the cartridge choice screen has real problems.

Is this still a project in train. Is anyone working on this.

I am not going to install realvga

The Java version did not run for me

When wil the PPC version work???

welcome to the club. i gave up long time ago trying to get the Wherigo player to properly display on my VGA PDA. in the very few cartridges i did, i learned to read the shown distance by seeing only the top half of the numbers. the map screen is totally unusable.

that bug has been standing for years now and nobody's working on the player (nor the builder).

Played the Wherigo introduction tutorial on my PPC with my Garmin XT GPS-device, using an application called CSRD that I found on the XDA-developers forum to reduce the dpi on my HX4700 from 192 to 128.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=780149 is the link to the XDA-forum.

The player was not happy with the standard settings for authentication (on) and encryption (on) for my GPS, but after changing those all went well.

Agree auto-resizing would be preferable but in spite of the fact the print is smaller then I'd like it to be I don't think it is worse than on the screen of e.g. an Oregon.

regs