How many times have searched for a local cache?

Have you ever had one of those caches that you just couldn't put your greedy little fingers on? I had one in a nearby town that I searched for 4 times. I felt like an idiot when I finally found it and realized that the last time I was there I had actually stood on the darn thing :laughing: It was hidden under a root system that was covered by leaves.

How about the rest of ya, have you searched for a single cache multiple times to finally find it?

The Legend of Chinook was one of those caches for me. I probably went looking for that thing 6 or 7 times. Each time my GPSr would take me to a slightly different location because all of the trees messed up my signal. This was when I first started caching and didn't know to let my GPSr "settle down". I probably stood on the darn thing about 3 times.

It was a great hide though and had really interesting history about a dog named Chinook. The sign for the 'tale' was at the Humane Society.

I've been to Grace Lord Park in Boonton, chasing after the second stage of Amazing Grace, at least three or four times so far. It's an MKH stuck somewhere out of view roughly halfway out on an abandoned metal-frame rail trestle, fifty or sixty feet above a raging stream. Once it was slippery with frozen rain and the rest of the time I just ran out of time; the GPS is pretty much useless within ten feet or so, and there are a hundred little metal underhangs to check. I'll get it sooner or later.

GCPB0V

A Chameleon in Lutheran Park

This cache is a local cache that is within a 5 minute bike ride from my house.

I have been out to look for this so many times i have lost count in the last 2 years. It is a puzzle cache that just isn't working for me.

Someday I will beat this cache...

If i were superman (which i am not even close to...LOL) this cache is my kryptonite.

There are two within walking distance of me, I went out on my very first day caching and tried to get those two. BIG BUMMER!!! Both escaped me, my hubby was coming home from work so I had him swing over and help me look, no luck. Next day returned with hubby and two friends, no luck. Returned again after a while with hubby, STILL no luck! We emailed the owners asking for additional help, one never responded, the other went out and checked, said it was still there but we certainly can't find it.

Normally I don't feel the need to clear up a DNF, but there was one cache, that isn't even local to me -- it is in Colorado -- that I visited five times before I finally found the ammo can! :D

Turns out, the coordinates were off enough that I was searching behind the wrong building, on the other side of a six-foot tall fence. :)

It depends! Some I will not go back to more than once other I will go back several times until I find it. One I went to about 6 times before I found it of course my GZ was off about 50'. There is a saying around that went hunting one of this hiders caches you take a "Hidders Name" offest I did that but I took it the wrong direction once or twice then he finally changed the coords and I found it with in 2 minutes. The only help I got from him was go find this cache I hid which I did and still could not find it. I wanted it for my 100th find but I could not hold up my finds for this one.

This is my last DNF log - Well I failed to find it again. This was my 5 try at this and I spent over an hour out there today and a total of over 3 hours so I quit you beat me! I looked at everything in a 35’ radius from GZ. I found lots of bag worms, 3 wasp nests (good thing is was cold today) and 1 bird nest with at least 1 egg but no cache. I wanted to use this as my 100th find but it is not to be so I will finish one of the multiples that I have found the first stage on. I have found a piece of ½” vinyl hanging in a tree with the next stage coordinates on it but not this. I am glad they are all not this @&*# hard!

"Rocky Trail" GCNCZ2

It is the 3rd closest cache from my house And there is enough tree cover there that I have searched a huge area and still come up dry. I havent DNF'd it yet as Im sure its just me. Im still a little new to caching and I want to make one more attempt before I DNF. Have made 3 attempts so far and its only a quarter mile from my house.

Edited by Mike and Mitya

There is one near me named No No Ernesto that tok me FIVE trips to find (I forgot to log one DNF).

It's very close to the place where my son goes for golf lessons, so I figured I would swing by there for a quick PnG...no way. Ended up coming back again and again and...

Here are a few of my log entries:

"Wow, I had an experience similar to Wayfinder, except I walked up to it and then spent about 2 hours climbing and poking and...meh." (Wayfinder had a log entry that said he found it in about 10 seconds!)

"Well I should get some kind of Honorary Doctorate for this cache...I took the kids out there, and even posted a $10 reward, but we were unsuccessful. Another 45 minutes."

"Well, I think I just have to let this one go. Three trips, one with 3 helpers, a good hint...nothing. I think that someone could put my HAND right on the container and my brain would refuse to see it at this point."

Even when I found it I said "I was already mentally composing yet another DNF on the way to this one. I was thinking, why torture yourself?"

:)

Theres a local one that I "found" today after about 6 trips there.

Here's my log:

"I'm logging this as a found. I was there today and searched exactly where the cache owner said to look. On the ground I found the log, no container, no swag, just the log. I took the log home and emailed the owner, so that if she wants the log she can have it back.

Who would take everything but the log?"

-Tom

Here's my log:

"I'm logging this as a found. I was there today and searched exactly where the cache owner said to look. On the ground I found the log, no container, no swag, just the log. I took the log home and emailed the owner, so that if she wants the log she can have it back.

-Tom

Someone found one of my caches like that yesterday. No container- just the log. Weird!

Here's my log:

-Tom

Someone found one of my caches like that yesterday. No container- just the log. Weird!

I found the log and and when it dries I will sign the log should I have counted this as found?

Edited by hardkoretech

Here's my log:

-Tom

That's so odd! Someone found one of our caches yesterday that was just the log. The container and everything else was gone. At least whoever took it put the log back in the hiding place. :laughing:

There is one cache that we have looked for at least 3 times(for about 30-40 minutes each time). Other cachers who have found it have told us how easy it was and one even told us exactly where it was. We still can't find that AMMO BOX.

"Rocky Trail" GCNCZ2

It is the 3rd closest cache from my house And there is enough tree cover there that I have searched a huge area and still come up dry. I havent DNF'd it yet as Im sure its just me. Im still a little new to caching and I want to make one more attempt before I DNF. Have made 3 attempts so far and its only a quarter mile from my house.

Now why wouldn't you DNF it? Part of the fun for a hider is to watch people trying to find their cache! DNF isn't meant for just logging it if you think the cache is missing. Give the hider some fun in repayment for all the work of coming up with a good hide. As you read various cache logs you will find that many of the most humorous ones are DNFs! There is no shame in not finding it. I have DNF'd a couple of 1/1 caches 2 or 3 times, and then met the hiders at events, and they have laughed with me over my troubles. One, I still haven't been able to get my eye on it! :laughing:

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Yes several!!

Geocaching Hazards 101, is a multicache, have now completed it but visited each waypoint on average 3 times. Lost a light off the front of the car driving out of a dry river bed. One of the waypoints I was on my probably 4th visit, hubby sitting in car I state 'I give up!!! I am just going to ignore this cache. BEEP BEEP BEEP!! (I did say that I had children in the car)' Hubby says would you like me to look. Duh! He finds it in less than a minute.

Another cache that almost put me off going to events called Little Erratic is a small cache hidden in a pile of stones. Have found it at last! We had an event last October which the owner attended, he kept getting cachers to come up to me and just say 'Found it first visit in under 5mins, its so easy!' then walk of smiling.

Another that I have not found that someone else found in seconds is a magnetic nano in a park. All I know is that the coordinates are spot on. About 5 meters from a corrigated iron fence. GZ is grass with a tree nearby and the clue is that it is magnetic. Already visited twice.

Yes I log all my dnfs, otherwise some days you have nothing to log.

When I was introduced to geocaching a couple of months ago, I found out there was a cache about 30 feet from my front door. My wife and I searched for it for hours. 3. .. 4. .. 5 times? Then, after I happened to run into another cacher while out one day, I relented and he gave me a hint. Yes. I had actually stood on the cache for several minutes while trying to figure out my new gps unit. Turned out to be a micro attached to another item that looked totally freakin natural!!!! micro hiders are evil!

I had a DNF one time on a cache and a few months later I was in the area and we DNFed it again. When we got home we saw that there was a long string of DNFs and even a few SBA logs. So I logged an SBA log and then watched the cache. It took another two months and it finally got archived. The entire time the cache owner never once even posted a note on the cache page. That was before we had the ignore button. If it happened again, I would ignore it.

I agree one of the bits of fun as a hider is the DNFs mixed with the fines. I recently put one out a poor woman searched for 30 minutes in the rain and couldn't find her, she returned within a couple days with her mother and her mom found it within minutes hehehe

For me, there is a local one called the Tin Camel which is just an altoids tin with a log....... yeah... several tries for that one. One try I was on the OTHER SIDE OF THE HILL climbing a mud embankment and balancing my fat arse on tree roots that stuck out (no, there are no pictures of that fiasco)..... several tries later, my son hopped out, walked up to the first few trees in the woods and said "found it"

GAH!

lol

Have you ever had one of those caches that you just couldn't put your greedy little fingers on?

I have several in my area. Some are 1.5 difficulty. :rolleyes:

Waller By Night :laughing:

And it's second on my finds filtered out closest to home list (3rd overall)

Edited by Taoiseach

There is a cache in a park in my home town that kept Renegade Knight and myself flustered. We spent every weekend for a whole summer. We took our whole families to help us look. I finally found it one morning before I had to leave town to go to work. There was already a skiff of snow on the ground. I know for a fact that the cache owner took great joy in our misery.

There is one not too far from me and about 3 minutes from my work. I have been on 4 separate occasions, with 4 separate helpers and have yet to find it. The cache owner has offered to go with me to find it and I just might take her up on it. Neusiok Trail Hideaway #1

Have you ever gone for a cache that you have already found and not been able to find it?

We pulled this one the other day while taping for the show. We went to a cache that we knew was there. We had actually been there a while back so we should have known exactly where it was. Well as luck had it we were not able to locate the cache before the sun went down.

That night I pulled up geocaching.com and found that yes the cache was still there, and that someone came that day and found it right after we were there. We felt so small when we read the comments they left. It was something like, "easy cache, we found it at night"

Oh well you can't find them all.

Derrick & Kendra Perrin

Lets Go Caching, A Video Podcast About Geocaching

"Dam Monk" GCRZJ1

It's an evil little parking lot micro that I have to pass by twice a day coming to and from work. It's a scenic overlook and it usually has a muggle or two hanging around. I pull in if the lot is empty but that's rare. I lost count how many times I've looked. It has almost as many DNF's as finds so I don't feel too bad about it.

We have a "local" cacher here who take great glee in people DNFing his caches so I put all of his caches straight into the Unavailable section of GSAK so they don't even get loaded onto my unit when I go out. I am not the only one who has hunted high and low for some of them just to walk off muttering. I like caching and hunting for caches and hate it when I see the container before I crawl out of the truck but also have to admit that when I know I am not gonna find the thing before I leave the house that is not worth it either.

Ron

GCT150 What a View!

I've looked for that 3 or 4 times, a couple by myself, one with my mom, and another time with my caching partner. Hint helps a little, it's one of those fake bolts. me, being still fairly new having only found 55 caches so far and been caching for 2 years, have never found a fake bolt, so i "found" the cache after i unscrewed one of the "regular" bolts. "Found" it Jan 7th, came back Feb 1 with two, i guess you can say, experts at caching, i was around 50 feet off of actually finding the cache, which was in disrepair. Owner is busy with stuff, so that cache may not be back up till sometime in May

that was my 44th "found"cache

Before I gave up being so anal at finding a cache, it took me six weeks to find one, and another 4 weeks to find another. I decided I wasn't quite having the fun I wanted to have because the frustration level grew at every visit to the area. The end result is, finds or no finds... I'm in it for the adventure now. I may or may not revisit the cache regardless if I found it or not.

Before I gave up being so anal at finding a cache, it took me six weeks to find one, and another 4 weeks to find another. I decided I wasn't quite having the fun I wanted to have because the frustration level grew at every visit to the area. The end result is, finds or no finds... I'm in it for the adventure now. I may or may not revisit the cache regardless if I found it or not.
I'm the same way now.

My first cache as a newbie took me six tries with no find. Was a micro (at that time I had no idea what a micro was) and was hidden on a foot bridge going into a mall. Lots of security guards chasing everyone around and tons of muggles. Felt like a total idiot when on my seventh trip my then 7-year daughter found it in under 2-minutes!