Announcing.....The Pocket Decoder

The Caching Place

The Caching Place is pleased to announce our latest creation! It’s been a long time coming! The original artwork was sent to Bryan and approved back in June of last year. When we put the teasers on our website we had no idea of the complications ahead of us! We nearly gave up but with some encouragement along the way, we are glad we persevered because The Pocket Decoder is awesome!! Mass production has been in full swing for several weeks now and the coins are scheduled to ship from the mint the middle of April.

This is not your ordinary geocoin! It's a work of art and has the look and feel of a finely crafted pocket watch. Each coin weighs 4.2 oz and is over 14mm thick!! It is truly is a "collector" piece!

Designed to be a "functional" geocoin, The Pocket Decoder can be used by Geocachers to create mystery caches and enhance your caching enjoyment...or drive you crazy which ever way you want to look at it LOL! One of the coolest features about The Pocket Decoder is that the center wheel is interchangeable. During 2008 we plan to release a number of fun and interesting center wheel designs as well as encourage folks to submit their own designs for wheels. We will also be creating FUN games and contests to help you learn to use and enjoy your Pocket Decoder!

THE DETAILS:

The coin is actually the equivalent of 3 coins. Due to the complicated design and size, the coin was manufactured using the die casting method. We've set up a page on our website where you can read about the production process, the interchangeable center wheel and get a sneak peek at the next center wheel to be released in May...Poker fanatics are going to LOVE it!! :laughing:

SALE DATE: April 16 - we will update here in the forums, if this changes.

SIZE: 55mm diameter x 70mm high (excluding top ring) over 14mm thick, weighs 4.5 oz

REGULAR EDITION: Antique bronze case with Symbol Wheel, imitation hard enamel colors, packaged in a leather drawstring bag. Number minted; because this coin is designed to be a functional geocaching tool, it doesn't make sense to "limit" the number produced, therefore, the antique bronze edition with Symbol Wheel will remain as an open stock item at The Caching Place for all who want to enjoy and own this unique design!

LIMITED EDITION: We are making 25 "Golden" pocket decoders. These will all be given away in monthly drawings at The Caching Place.

PRICE: $19.50

TRACKABLE WITH CUSTOM ICON: iconpocket.jpg

More Information Here.

front.jpgpocketopen180.gifside-view.jpgside-back-view.gif

QUOTE(AtlantaGal @ Mar 30 2008, 11:51 PM) *

Not a bad price considering the work involved.

I don't see a price for the Pocket Decoder huh.gif I see the interchangeable center wheels are $3.50 Where is the price of the coin at ?

LIMITED EDITION: We are making 25 "Golden" pocket decoders. These will all be given away in monthly drawings at The Caching Place.

in the opening post

QUOTE(AtlantaGal @ Mar 30 2008, 11:51 PM) *

Not a bad price considering the work involved.

I don't see a price for the Pocket Decoder huh.gif I see the interchangeable center wheels are $3.50 Where is the price of the coin at ?

in the opening post

Wow time for sleep I totaly missed that and was looking all over there site for the price. Thanks

Is this really a "geocoin" anymore? Don't get me wrong, I love it and I want one. At $20 a pop, I doubt that many of of these will be found in a cache (though a hellavu FTF prize!). Much like these other functional geocaching tools that are becoming available (quadrant and planisphere come to mind) are we seeing a new category of traveler emerge? :laughing:

Is this really a "geocoin" anymore? Don't get me wrong, I love it and I want one. At $20 a pop, I doubt that many of of these will be found in a cache (though a hellavu FTF prize!). Much like these other functional geocaching tools that are becoming available (quadrant and planisphere come to mind) are we seeing a new category of traveler emerge? :laughing:

Geocaching Tools, lol.

At least the insert discs for this will be a coin. I look at it as a coin holder.

The Caching Place is pleased to announce our latest creation! It’s been a long time coming! The original artwork was sent to Bryan and approved back in June of last year. When we put the teasers on our website we had no idea of the complications ahead of us! We nearly gave up but with some encouragement along the way, we are glad we persevered because The Pocket Decoder is awesome!! Mass production has been in full swing for several weeks now and the coins are scheduled to ship from the mint the middle of April.

This is not your ordinary geocoin! It's a work of art and has the look and feel of a finely crafted pocket watch. Each coin weighs 4.2 oz and is over 14mm thick!! It is truly is a "collector" piece!

Designed to be a "functional" geocoin, The Pocket Decoder can be used by Geocachers to create mystery caches and enhance your caching enjoyment...or drive you crazy which ever way you want to look at it LOL! One of the coolest features about The Pocket Decoder is that the center wheel is interchangeable. During 2008 we plan to release a number of fun and interesting center wheel designs as well as encourage folks to submit their own designs for wheels. We will also be creating FUN games and contests to help you learn to use and enjoy your Pocket Decoder!

THE DETAILS:

The coin is actually the equivalent of 3 coins. Due to the complicated design and size, the coin was manufactured using the die casting method. We've set up a page on our website where you can read about the production process, the interchangeable center wheel and get a sneak peek at the next center wheel to be released in May...Poker fanatics are going to LOVE it!! :D

SALE DATE: April 16 - we will update here in the forums, if this changes.

SIZE: 55mm diameter x 70mm high (excluding top ring) over 14mm thick, weighs 4.5 oz

REGULAR EDITION: Antique bronze case with Symbol Wheel, imitation hard enamel colors, packaged in a leather drawstring bag. Number minted; because this coin is designed to be a functional geocaching tool, it doesn't make sense to "limit" the number produced, therefore, the antique bronze edition with Symbol Wheel will remain as an open stock item at The Caching Place for all who want to enjoy and own this unique design!

TRACKABLE WITH CUSTOM ICON: iconpocket.jpg

More Information Here.

front.jpgpocketopen180.gifside-view.jpgside-back-view.gif

Very, VERY cool! :)

Wow, THANKS everyone for the awesome comments! We're glad you all like it as much as we do! :)

As far as the drawing goes for the "Golden" LE's, there will be a card inserted with your Pocket Decoder with instructions on how to enter the drawings, there will also be additional information posted on our website once the coins are available. As with most drawings/contests, there is no purchase necessary to enter the drawing.....however, you will need to follow the instructions posted on the website in order to obtain what you need to enter so be sure to read that when it goes live! :P

Some of the links are not yet live because we're still working on stuff like the "Hobbit's Mystery Journey" - so please be patient!! :D

Wow, THANKS everyone for the awesome comments! We're glad you all like it as much as we do! :P

As far as the drawing goes for the "Golden" LE's, there will be a card inserted with your Pocket Decoder with instructions on how to enter the drawings, there will also be additional information posted on our website once the coins are available. As with most drawings/contests, there is no purchase necessary to enter the drawing.....however, you will need to follow the instructions posted on the website in order to obtain what you need to enter so be sure to read that when it goes live! :D

Some of the links are not yet live because we're still working on stuff like the "Hobbit's Mystery Journey" - so please be patient!! :)

It's about time!! I've been clicking those dead links for what seems like forever!! Can't wait to see these!!!

OhMyGosh!

That is a spiffy little device you guys have put together! Thank you so much for positing the "making of" - I love that kind of stuff! Needless to say, I am totally submitting a dial design when that "submit designs" link becomes active. Amazing work!

Tiki

PS - anyone up for a trade? :laughing: