GPS protective case...

swales

Once I decide on which unit (Garmin 60CSx or Vista HCx) I would like to find a protective case for it... the plan is to mount it on my ATV.. handlebar mount would work to mount on the front rack...

I would like a hard plastic (clear) case. My other concern is leaving it in the sun... how well do these unit handle direct sunlight. If mounted on my ATV.. it would be in the sun all the time...

Thanks.

Once I decide on which unit (Garmin 60CSx or Vista HCx) I would like to find a protective case for it... the plan is to mount it on my ATV.. handlebar mount would work to mount on the front rack...

I would like a hard plastic (clear) case. My other concern is leaving it in the sun... how well do these unit handle direct sunlight. If mounted on my ATV.. it would be in the sun all the time...

Thanks.

Go with a RAM Handlebar Mount, they are a little more expensive but in the long run you'll be glad you did. About $40 for everything for the 60CSx.

I first tried Garmin's handlebar mount for $16. Used it for a while and was a little concerned about the amount of shock the unit might receive during a 1,200 mile ATV trip so I bought the RAM mount. The RAM mount works great, reduces a lot of the jarring throuh the rubber balls and if you'll mount it in such a way that the arm between the 2 rubber balls is in a horizontal plane it will help eliminate even more vertical shock.

They both have their problems.

The eTrex Vista, I had a problem with glue disolving, and the rubberband coming off.

The Map60Cx, I had a problem with so much vibration using the Garmin mount, that the metal prongs pressing on the circuit board on the backside of the battery compartment, were no longer pressing against the circuitboard, so that GPS got wrecked, when I tried to bend the contacts back, the screw posts shattered when I tried opening it up.

I believe that the Ram mount maybe better, but I would like to have a better cusion between the mount and the GPS.

Regardless of which unit and protective case you get, I'd highly recommend using an InvisibleShield (or some other such) screen protector on the unit.

I use the Garmin protective cases for both my 60CSx and Vista HCx. For the 60CSx the case is quite nice and does not hinder regular operation or viewing. For the Vista HCx, I find the case to be constantly coming in the way of my using the unit. So I don't use the case most of the time. I may try a Foarm case for this some day.

http://www.foarm.com/portfolio.htm

more detailed review -- http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=183887

Edited by chuntu