You know you're addicted when..

ilpellys

You start planning vacations centered around cache sites.

You begin every weekend day (or any day) with the words "you know what we should do??", sometimes accompanied by eye rolling of family members.

Your family hides your GPS.

Your family hides your GPS and you ask them for the coords (so you can use your backup GPS to 'find' it).

You think DNF is one letter shy of a naughty word.

You like winter (in the midwest) because it means you can get to a cache easier.

You hate winter (in the midwest) because it means you can get to a cache easier.

Sadly we are newbies and I came up with that many. Did I miss any?

I often have the instance of, me: Today is pretty... You know what would be fun to do?... Hubby: -sigh- lemme guess, you wanna go caching?

You know your addicted when:

You take your bag of swag, GPS and list of nearby caches when all you are doing is going to the store and have no intent of caching, but just in case...

You have memorized locations of some caches and point them out as you pass.

You plan an outing or trip and have to look up caches in the area, just in case you get a couple free minutes.

You want everything geocaching related, clothes, pins, keychains cuz you want to tell everyone about your cool new hobby.

When you have to lookup the caches on the way to a new job site out of town.

When your daughter asks if we are doing regular caches today.

The first thing you do in the morning is see if new caches got published

I could go one but i have to go find another cache!!!! LOL :laughing:

You spend $50 in gas just to go back to a DNF because it's driving you nuts, and wind up DNFing it again.

You have troubles getting an oil change done on your vehicle because you're too busy going caching.

You can no longer navigate normally using the maps on your GPS because there are too many geocache symbols all over the pages and you can't see the roads any more.

You purchase specific items and products because they come in a cool container that can be made into a cache.

I started this thread back in August on the South Jersey Geocaching Forums and I would love to share what they had to say. I will post this on the other thread here on Big Green too....

-you have a bag o' swag in your car, .....just in case

-you get up very early on your day off and hit the road.

-You can't walk past a pile of sticks or branches or a fallen tree without thinking hmmmmm.....

-you plan your vacations around it.

-When people at the Pic know what you do!

-when you check GC.com more than you check your email.

-Your entire wardrobe has sticker pull threads everywhere

-you have chigger scars up to your knees!

-you have no containers in your house

-when you need to go someplace to do something other than geocaching you find it by locating the nearest cache

-when you start giving directions by referencing the caches along the way.

-When you're a grown adult and you use words like Hidey hole!

-You turn on your GPS just to go down the street, just in case there's a cache along the way.

-You use your GPS to find a traffic-free drive.

-Auto-routing is your best friend.

-You wonder if there's a cache in a park you are driving by.

-You constantly think, "That's a great hiding spot."

-When you go to walmart, and instead of looking at clothes and other necessities, you head for the rubbermaid section

instead.

-When you keep hip-waders, head lamps, camo tape and a change of shoes and cloths in your 4x4...with a tow strap!

-You show up at a BBQ wearing a "how to identify a geocacher" T-shirt

-You know where all the Weird NJ locations are within a 25-mile radius of home

-You have to move the cache sheets, containers, swag bags, boots, etc. to make room for a passenger in your truck

-When planning a trip, the first thing you do is check for caches along the way

-You know that "classic hide" has nothing to do with leather

-You always have spare batteries in your vehicle

-When someone talks about searching for cash in the Northwest, D. B. Cooper doesn't come to mind

-when all your sentences start with... "one time, while geocaching"

-when you buy 70, yes 70, happy meal toys... because they make good trade items.

-When your friends names are Hens, Chickens, Dragons and Gipsies

-when you purchase a 4x4 to improve your cache-count

-when you start customizing your own jeep on the web according to cache locations.

-when you are very upset you can't find a snorkel kit for your 4x4 but you try to cross the lake/puddle in front of you anyway.

-when you have the Forrest Ranger's station on you cell phone's speed dial.

-when your husband buys you a camo back pack for your 4th wedding anniversary... and you are actually excited about it!

-if you've ever excused yourself from dinner because you feel a tick walking up your back

-if you schedule a yearly lymes titers test with your doctor, just in case

-when you break for lunch at McDonalds and you track mud in with you...

-And how about breaking at Mickie D's in the first place??? Always need a place with a bathroom

-When every shirt you own has these mysterious little holes in them... and then you remember that it's from all the briars!

-when you find yourself doing 4 caches between a wedding service and the reception...

-you surf yardsales for swag

-when you hit two caches on your way to a memorial service cause you where passing close by and they were there

-You're late for Christmas dinner because you had to stop and grab that nearby cache on the way, in the snow and freezing rain. And then grab one more at midnight on the way home

Great answers compiled from a great group of people....I am going to take the ones here and post them there too!

You know you're addicted when; You leave for work just early enough to grab a quick one and still be on time. You have a map with a circle with your work as the center and the outside edge as the farthest you can go to grab a cache and still be back before lunch is over. You eat your lunch during working hours so you can devote your lunchtime to caching. Your wife keeps wondering where all of her smaller tupperware containers went. Instead of going one way to a far away store and back you make a large circle to maximize your cache count on the trip.OK, I came up with those and I haven't even found 60 caches yet! I'm not addicted though. (denial is the first sign).

Edited by mallen131

You start planning vacations centered around cache sites.

You begin every weekend day (or any day) with the words "you know what we should do??", sometimes accompanied by eye rolling of family members.

Your family hides your GPS.

Your family hides your GPS and you ask them for the coords (so you can use your backup GPS to 'find' it).

You think DNF is one letter shy of a naughty word.

You like winter (in the midwest) because it means you can get to a cache easier.

You hate winter (in the midwest) because it means you can get to a cache easier.

Sadly we are newbies and I came up with that many. Did I miss any?

:D:D:D:DB)B):lol::wub::wub:;):P:):):):D:D

<_< When you think more about the caches round town more than you think about your significant other.

When you realize during class there's a cache down the block and start dreaming about whats inside.

When all you can think about is making name tags, cool trade items and other caches instead of the test sitting in front of you during 1st period.

When you hold off eating because you noticed there's a cache around the restaurant and just have to get it.

When it's late at night and you keep saying: "just one more... then we can go home" ... 10 minutes later... "just one more... then we can go home, I promise..." and so on.

Also a noob at geocaching. But I'm starting off pretty good. :unsure: Stuck inside because I'm sick - but I keep begging to go out to find that geocache around the block.

When someone's trying to give you directions and you shush them and tell them to just give you the coordinates.

When you're interviewing a job candidate and you chide them for listing their college minor, accusing them of "multilogging".

When someone's doing some hoity-toity namedropping at a party, you look at them with a conspiratorial smile and wink as you say "Ahhh...Terracacher, eh?"

You almost get arrested before you can explain to the officer that your answer of "FTF" to the question of why you were going so fast DOESN'T involve a synonym for "fornicate".

I think this may be the answer?

When you are getting ready to take your wife in for a heart procedure. She says she is getting into the shower at the same time you realize a new cache has been placed across town. You tell her you are going to warm the car up and be right back. You go get the FTF and return home just in time to head to the medical center 1.5 hours away.

By the way it was an LPC and the procedure went very good!

Great day

QUOTE(ilpellys @ Apr 7 2008, 06:39 PM)

Oooooo...sounds like Mr. Finch Farmer may have won at this point...as long as his wife doesn't find out (ouch!).

She knows. :D But all is well I think? B) I asked today if she felt good enough to go for lunch. :D She wants to know if a new cache is at the lunch location. :D Well of course! :P

Edited by The finch farmers

To make everybody's lives easier why don't we just make a list of things that tell you what indicates you are NOT addicted... it will be MUCH shorter.

:D Scare Force One

You know you're NOT addicted to geocaching when.......

.....you have no clue what geocaching is.

End of list.

YEP! :laughing::laughing::laughing::D:laughing:

We might have to 12 step this topic!

:laughing:

Hello, My name is Randy, and I'm a geocache-aholic.

I took my wife to the hospital today for some scheduled surgery and was told that it would be at least 2 hours before I would be allowed to see her after they were done. The nurse suggested that I go get something to eat while I waited. So, I visited 7 cache sites and made 4 finds in that 2 hours. I might have a problem with my addiction!

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L

You know you are addicted when you spend 2 weeks wages on geocoins in the first 2 months.

You know you are addicted when you convince your hubby to buy an RV just so you can find more out of state caches.

And being a home health RN, I'm always passing little parks while going to client's homes and wondering if I have enough time to place a cache in there.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

you know you're addicted when you get off a 10 hour shift, after having been awake for 20 hours, and still make the 15 minute walk to get a random cache a short ways from work.

Or!

You get off a 10 hour shift, and then join your parents fro an hour drive for several hours of caching in one random place or another, just because, it's a beautiful Sunday. Sleep? who needs it.

To make everybody's lives easier why don't we just make a list of things that tell you what indicates you are NOT addicted... it will be MUCH shorter.

:lol: Scare Force One

You know you're NOT addicted to geocaching when.......

.....you have no clue what geocaching is.

End of list.

YEP! :rolleyes:;):D:P;)

We might have to 12 step this topic!

:huh:

Hello, My name is Randy, and I'm a geocache-aholic.

I took my wife to the hospital today for some scheduled surgery and was told that it would be at least 2 hours before I would be allowed to see her after they were done. The nurse suggested that I go get something to eat while I waited. So, I visited 7 cache sites and made 4 finds in that 2 hours. I might have a problem with my addiction!

Well I don't look so bad now do I? :D:o:o:o

One problem. I had 2 hours and I figured I should be able to get 8 done. ;) Mine must have been closer. :D:D;):lol::lol:

When your truck contains:

Camo Duct Tape

Wire for repairing hanging caches

Spare small ziplock bags

Spare cache logs

Extra pens

Cache retrieval grabbing tool

GPS mount

GPS power cable

1 stocked ammo can cache

3 stocked small caches