UK Mega Event 2008

I've registered and will be bringing dalekdude..he's hooked and now he's got his own Laptop wanted his own Geocaching acct (Caching along with dad aint good enough! lol)

Are you still in need of Volunteers??

I'll gladly help out if required

Bilskirnir

i havent been able to at the moment (my money is tied up on this trip right now) would someone be able to save or order me one and look after it and i can paypal them for it at the end of this month?

please and much apprieciated.

heather

Don't worry, I'll keep you in mind.

The US cachers are now starting to snap up the silver supporters coin, so everyone else get in quick - but not too quick, as it's takes most of my evenings to process the paperwork :)

For any Holiday Inn Priority Club Members out there who are looking for FREE accommodation -

Holiday Inn have just added Holiday Inn Harrogate (just 1km from the event) to their PointBreak list, meaning that rooms are available for no money, just 5000 points. Unfortunately they don't have any family rooms available, so we won't be able to take advantage of this deal, but they do have several dual occupancy and even wheelchair accessible rooms up for grabs.

Hi Folks.

Our announcement for the Camping Event Hog Roast was slightly mis-worded, and seems to have offended a few Vegetarians. Our apoligies!

My wife is Vegetarian, so I'm used to eating meat alternatives (I can't tell the difference between Quorn and real chicken in some meals now).

I would imagine we would be able to set up a dedicated BBQ for meat-free products, but we need to hear what types of food people would like, and how many are non-meat eaters.

Suggestions please!

Hi Folks.

Our announcement for the Camping Event Hog Roast was slightly mis-worded, and seems to have offended a few Vegetarians. Our apoligies!

My wife is Vegetarian, so I'm used to eating meat alternatives (I can't tell the difference between Quorn and real chicken in some meals now).

I would imagine we would be able to set up a dedicated BBQ for meat-free products, but we need to hear what types of food people would like, and how many are non-meat eaters.

Suggestions please!

Mis-worded how? There was nowt there to say you had to eat the nice juicy succulent lickle piggy

:ph34r:

Just a bit of news.. The Mega Event Geocoins are in the country.. Seems I have given myself the job of posting the Silver Supporter coins out to those who requested postal rather than pick up at the event.. Note only the silver coins will be posted out, gold must be picked up at the event. First dispatch in the morning.

The coins are going fast so order quickly to avoid disapointment.

Anybody going to the Durham meet (GC1CDBB) Tomorrow 28.06. will be able to snafffle some from Either Harrogate Hunters (Robin) or myself at the event..

I think it's a pity that the very limited menu (especially the second course!) has to be ordered more than a month prior to the event and children are not catered for.

British mass catering at it's usual unimaginative best. :)

Anyone for a stilton and apple sandwich.Yum! :)

Further discussions with the venue on the matter are taking place.

Waited patiently for the results of these discussion, just realised the deadline for ordering has passed with no more news :)

Just a bit of news.. The Mega Event Geocoins are in the country.. Seems I have given myself the job of posting the Silver Supporter coins out to those who requested postal rather than pick up at the event.. Note only the silver coins will be posted out, gold must be picked up at the event. First dispatch in the morning.

The coins are going fast so order quickly to avoid disapointment.

Anybody going to the Durham meet (GC1CDBB) Tomorrow 28.06. will be able to snafffle some from Either Harrogate Hunters (Robin) or myself at the event..

Can confirm gold coin looks great!

Had one in my hands - only Robin HH snatched it back before I could pocket it! :):)

I don't know about these coins, but sometimes when new coins come out it takes a couple of days for Groundspeak to sort out the icon....

I know I had a couple of coins activated a year or so ago and the icon changed from a personal coin to a unique one in a day or 2.

Not wanting to seem paranoid or anything , but why is so much personal information required on the registration page :anitongue: ?

Surely all that is actually required is caching name, email address, and party size!

I'm pretty sure most of it was optional and was only needed if you wanted to order food from the hotel.

Not wanting to seem paranoid or anything , but why is so much personal information required on the registration page :anitongue: ?

Surely all that is actually required is caching name, email address, and party size!

I'm pretty sure most of it was optional and was only needed if you wanted to order food from the hotel.

Required info:

geocaching.com account name of party leader

Valid email address

Title

First Name

Surname

Town/City

County/State

Country

Group Details (includes details of age spread of children)

Number of Meals

There where many reasons for the detail none of which are or ever where of sinister motive.

Welcome packs where one, we needed to know whether people where family teams or individual cachers.

In the early stages we where not sure how the catering payment was to be handled. Hence the detail.

Also geocoin sales etc.

But one of the worries earlier on was confirming that we had the numbers to be granted the "Mega" status. It might have been that any person regardless of age was included in the numbers.

As it happens lack of numbers is not now a problem :anitongue:

As it was we where covering all angles in the registration process, better too much than too little.. :laughing:

May I please add that once the Mega Event has been finished I shall be personally seeing that all the data I have collected including Registration, Geocoin sales, Hog Roast etc etc that we have been sent will be destroyed.

If any cacher has a particular problem regarding data, please contact me personally.

Just to clarify my position on this, as I don't personally have a problem with supplying this info and had in fact done so just prior to my posting above. It just seemed like rather a lot of personal information being collected as a "requirement" of registration. In this day and age of people being concerned about identity theft etc, IMHO it would have been better if this info was provided on a voluntary basis along with an explanation as to why it would be helpful, i.e. location to put on a name badge. I don't mean to be critical (I hope it is not taken that way) as I do understand that a lot of time and effort is being put into this event along basically uncharted waters, but I do know that some people can be very touchy about personal data and may be discouraged from registering by this.

Hello,

I have made all reservations to join the fun at your mega event in august. I will travel from Holland on thursday and hope to meet some fellowcachers and find some great caches. Als do some cachemaintenance on my own cache Powlers Piece Picnicand see if i can find my own cache after 3 years and vist my family in Devon.

See you in august.

Delta123

The Netherlands

May I please add that once the Mega Event has been finished I shall be personally seeing that all the data I have collected including Registration, Geocoin sales, Hog Roast etc etc that we have been sent will be destroyed.

If any cacher has a particular problem regarding data, please contact me personally.

I'm ok as long as you dont let those people with them white jackets find me :huh:

:huh:

K

Hi to all,

I'm now getting more excited by the prospect of this great event. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any news on what,if any, presentations there will be.

As I'm keen on getting "hands on" info of paperless caching,especially as the mobile phone industry is virtually "sprinting" with new browsers and applications at the moment.

Thanks and see you there!

Kevin

I'm hoping to get the Event website updated as soon as time allows.

Sadly the person we hoped to help out with Paperless caching isn't available; unless there is anyone else who would like to volunteer at short notice?

I can have a go if you like, but I might have forgotten some of the Palm stuff from a few years ago.

My set up, if it helps you decide, is laptop with GSAK and memory map, Windows Mobile GPS PDA with cachemate and memory map, all fully integrated with icons where necessary, auto PQ downloads, exports to relevent programs, and so on. I was also a beta tester on BigWolfs brand new GSAK to CachematePPC export, which is fantastic, and now available on the GSAK forums for anyone who hasn't got it!

Happy to help though! I'll have all the stuff with me anyway. Do we have internet access at the event?

Dave

I'm hoping to get the Event website updated as soon as time allows.

Sadly the person we hoped to help out with Paperless caching isn't available; unless there is anyone else who would like to volunteer at short notice?

I'm sure there'll be dozens of fellow enthusiasts willing to show off their wares! :rolleyes:

Just in case there is still anyone who's in doubt about how "Mega" this event is going to be, here's the current state of the registration database.

350 teams registered

640 adults

61 0 to 6 year olds

92 7 to 12 year olds

51 moody teenagers

That's 844 heads so far!

Our international guest list continues to build. We now have people coming all the way from

- Australia

- Czech Republic

- France

- Germany

- Ireland

- Netherlands

- Norway

- Saudi Arabia

- Sweden

- USA

I think it's a pity that the very limited menu (especially the second course!) has to be ordered more than a month prior to the event and children are not catered for.

British mass catering at it's usual unimaginative best. :P

Anyone for a stilton and apple sandwich.Yum! :D

Further discussions with the venue on the matter are taking place.

Waited patiently for the results of these discussion, just realised the deadline for ordering has passed with no more news <_<

Still no news??? Looks like we're going hungry then...

Still no news??? Looks like we're going hungry then...

The hotel are providing a buffet style meal - for details see our web pages -

To order complete your details on the page.. The hotel will then contact you back for payment and send you a voucher.

From discussions made with the hotel the hotel are doing as much as they can to accomodate us (the Manager has been fantastic) and food WILL be availiable on the day (from their restaurant and snack menu's), BUT and this is a big BUT, if 800-1000 people all decide to turn up and eat you will be disappointed as it is physically impossible to serve this quantity over a 2 hour lunch time !

Even just finding a particular person who has ordered food in the hotel on the day would be impossible with 800 people wandering around ! Hence we went for buffet.

In fact the hotel said..."We need to have pre-bookings because even a hotel of this size does not keep cutlery and plates for 800 to eat at once... we need to get some from other hotels in the chain"

This is the reason we laid on pre-booking... yes a limited menu, but the hotel was worried that 800 people would suddenly order different menus in 2 hours ! Try catering for 800 - 1000 people over a two hour slot... This is not mass catering at this hotel, they pride themselves on good quality individual cooked meals.

When I had discussions over food the initial price for food was around £15 per head for a single course... normally these functions cost £20-£30 per head ! It took me a lot of persuasion to get the food cost down and a further course added !

There have been quite a few pre-bookings so far.

I would strongly recommend you pre-book from the menu given, that way you will be guaranteed to eat.

Last year when we held the North Yorkshire Meet here I siad to the hotel no one would be eating, however once the food started to appear well over half of the 120 cachers ate !

The food quality is fantastic as most of those will confirm.

There is a link on our web page to pre-order food, but if you have any problems or queries contact me direct.

Pre-ordering food will be availiable right up to a couple of days before.... I can confirm that pre-ordered food did not stop on 1st July ! (if our website is wrong we will get that altered)

Robin

One last thing... can I please ask you not to complain about the food arrangements, we have been so lucky in getting this venue in the first place... a lot of strings have had to be pulled !!!

After all the hotel is the experts in this sort of event and we have to go with their suggestions... I know from the numerous meetings I have had with the hotel they ARE trying to do their best to get this event off the ground.... after all we are not paying the normal room rents (£4000 for the hotel for the day !)

To try to get a venue to hold 1000 people, with all facilities in a busy part of the year is almost impossible, and I give my full thanks to the hotel who have allowed us to hold this event. In fact I do know they have turned away a wedding/ function due to us, which would have given them income !

Many Thanks to the hotel

Edited by UK Mega Event Committee