UK Mega Event 2008

On behalf of the committee I would like to give the Uk an update on the event.

Plans are progressing well and hopefully within the week our dedicated web site will be up and running. We shall let you know as soon as this happens

On this web page you will be able to :-

1. Pre-register your caching team name with numbers of adults and children attending. For this you will be getting a welcome pack on the day.

The welcome pack will include a large number of items including new caches to be released on the day, vouchers, information on whats happening and a large number of free items, cache box stickers, car decals, items for the kids etc etc etc

No pre-register... no welcome pack !

2. Purchase your pre-event geo-coins

A specially minted coin for general pre-release is availiable to purchase. Either these can be posted out, or can be availiable for collection on the day

3. Purchase your attendee geo-coin

A different type of coin is availible for purchase which is only collectable if you attend on the day

4. Links to other associated events

Links to the associated camping event, to pre-register for the BBQ on the saturday night, and also links to the "They came from the north" event in which you will register you interest in the event and also if you require our specially laid on food "Haggis !"

BUT

The reason for todays announcement is two fold :-

1. We understand that there are various regions around the country that have their own meets. Do you have a region flag, or would you like a special area put to one side for your region to meet and to promote your region...

If so, could you please contact me on my email address via my profile "Harrogate Hunters" or via the "UK Mega committee" profile

2. We also need volunteers for on the day to man and look after stalls, registration etc etc

We are asking for volunteers to take on a one hour slot !

I know a great deal of names have already been sent to me in emails.... can you and any other people who would like to help us please now contact me, so I can allocate a slot !!!

We are looking for slots from 10am to 4pm... if you have a preference please notify me

Thank you for your continued support and we all look forward to see you on 3rd August !

Robin

Harrogate Hunters

Edited by UK Mega Event Committee

On behalf of the committee I would like to give the Uk an update on the event.

Plans are progressing well and hopefully within the week our dedicated web site will be up and running. We shall let you know as soon as this happens

On this web page you will be able to :-

1. Pre-register your caching team name with numbers of adults and children attending. For this you will be getting a welcome pack on the day.

The welcome pack will include a large number of items including new caches to be released on the day, vouchers, information on whats happening and a large number of free items, cache box stickers, car decals, items for the kids etc etc etc

No pre-register... no welcome pack !

2. Purchase your pre-event geo-coins

A specially minted coin for general pre-release is availiable to purchase. Either these can be posted out, or can be availiable for collection on the day

3. Purchase your attendee geo-coin

A different type of coin is availible for purchase which is only collectable if you attend on the day

4. Links to other associated events

Links to the associated camping event, to pre-register for the BBQ on the saturday night, and also links to the "They came from the north" event in which you will register you interest in the event and also if you require our specially laid on food "Haggis !"

BUT

The reason for todays announcement is two fold :-

1. We understand that there are various regions around the country that have their own meets. Do you have a region flag, or would you like a special area put to one side for your region to meet and to promote your region...

If so, could you please contact me on my email address via my profile "Harrogate Hunters" or via the "UK Mega committee" profile

2. We also need volunteers for on the day to man and look after stalls, registration etc etc

We are asking for volunteers to take on a one hour slot !

I know a great deal of names have already been sent to me in emails.... can you and any other people who would like to help us please now contact me, so I can allocate a slot !!!

We are looking for slots from 10am to 4pm... if you have a preference please notify me

Thank you for your continued support and we all look forward to see you on 3rd August !

Robin

Harrogate Hunters

mollyjak has kindly volunteered to stand with me for an hour on the calendars stall/table (what ever I get :) ) so that Graham and Daniel can have a look around for an hour, could anyone help us out by standing with Graham for an hour so I could have a look around?

Let me know please :huh:

Mandy ;)

All sorted thankyou :):D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

mollyjak has kindly volunteered to stand with me for an hour on the calendars stall/table (what ever I get :) ) so that Graham and Daniel can have a look around for an hour, could anyone help us out by standing with Graham for an hour so I could have a look around?

Let me know please :huh:

Mandy ;)

EMail on it's way Mandy

CallieB

It is possible that I maybe able to attend after all so is it OK to pre register but with the off chance that we may not be able to attend after all :ph34r:

I think I understand what you are asking....

The answer is "YES !" :D

You could always let us know if you change your mind :(

Edited because I is fick ;)

Edited by Matrix

It looks like transatlantic fares into Manchester are outrageously expensive so I might have to fly into Dublin, Stansted or Heathrow.

That being the case, a lift from Harrogate to London on the Monday might be required.

Is there a thread anywhere to coordinate lifts that people might need or lifts that people may be able to offer???

It looks like transatlantic fares into Manchester are outrageously expensive so I might have to fly into Dublin, Stansted or Heathrow.

That being the case, a lift from Harrogate to London on the Monday might be required.

Is there a thread anywhere to coordinate lifts that people might need or lifts that people may be able to offer???

Hi Alex. We've adopted this thread as the "official" mega event discussions thread, so folks feel free to arrange transport sharing here.

Over this weekend we hope to start up the registration process, and to start building up a map of where everyone is travelling from.

I'll be around all day (once I get there from the campground) so I'll be happy to help out on a stall or whatever. I guess I won't be doing any questions and answers on reviewing now :)

Don't think that gets you out of 'throw the wet sponge' though!!!

:):D:D

aha!!! I think you might have put your finger on the real reason for their retirement!

:):)

I'll be around all day (once I get there from the campground) so I'll be happy to help out on a stall or whatever. I guess I won't be doing any questions and answers on reviewing now :D

Don't think that gets you out of 'throw the wet sponge' though!!!

:DB)B)

aha!!! I think you might have put your finger on the real reason for their retirement!

B):D

Erm if you do a search you'll find both of them refused to take part if it came off :D I was the only one insane enough to be prepared to stand/sit at the receiving end B) . Mind you No ones offered to take the project on and organize it [or is it going to be a surprise on the day for me :) ]

Hi folks

If you are not one of the 210 people currently watching the Mega Event cache page, you might like to know that we've started up the registration process.

This is separate from just making a Will Attend log. With currently an estimated 900 people expected to turn up; I'm sure you can appreciate the need for us, and the venue, to have a more exact number to work from - just imagine the chaos if we didn't get enough printouts made for the new caches placed for the event :lol:

Registration is open at our own Mega Event Website.

I feel I do need to point out that you only need to disclose your full address should you wish to arrange food. If you don't want food, then just your nearest Town, County and Country is all that we need.

We are also getting very close to being able to start making the Geocoins available - we would appreciate if anyone who wants one could take part in the poll on the Geocoins page until we are in a position to start taking proper orders (as currently we don't know if we need to have 500 made, or 4000).

It's less than 3 months to go, and we want to hear what you would like to see happen on the day, and we are also still needing plenty of volunteers to help out on the day!

Thanks,

Jamie (on behalf of the whole committee, who are all rapidly losing any hair they still had).

We are also getting very close to being able to start making the Geocoins available - we would appreciate if anyone who wants one could take part in the poll on the Geocoins page until we are in a position to start taking proper orders (as currently we don't know if we need to have 500 made, or 4000).

Many thanks for the update.

Not that I usually collect them myself (ahem!) but I have a query about the Attendee Geocoin.

I notice that if someone pays for the coin in advance and then doesn't show up at the Event, that the coin can be posted to them. How does that make it an "Attendee" coin?

Surely the Attendee coin should only be available to people who actually attend the event, rather than anyone in the world who might want to log a "Will Attend" log and then send for the coin later (almost by mail order, and having no intention of attending the event anyway).

I know the coins are important for the fundraising side of things, but shouldn't the Attendee coins be only sold to those there, otherwise there's little point in having two coins?

Thanks,

Russ

Thanks Jaz.

I can see your problem with this one.

On one hand you need to sell the Attendee coins in advance, firstly to help provide funds and secondly make sure there are enough minted.

The other side of the coin (excuse the pun!) is how you cater for the genuine people who have stumped up the money, but can't attend for various reasons.

No real answer to this one, unless you limit attendee coin orders to people who have already registered a "Will Attend" log, and sell a small number of coins on the day to those who attend at short notice?

Just a thought..

Thank you for your understanding on this one...

Whereby the attendee coin is only for people who attend on the day we have to ensure that due to outside influences should someone have a valid reason for not turning up on the day (of which there are many) but were 100% going to attend that they do not suffer any further !!!

As you quite rightly said we need pre-orders mainly so we can bring with us the required number of coins, we dont want to under-order... that would be disasterous, and likewise with limited funds we can not over order.

It is our intention to review all cases as they appear, but at this moment in time, we have anounced our intention !

There have been a hugh number of hurdles to overcome organising this event for 1000 people and we hope that we can cater for 99% of peoples needs and we are trying to acheive 100% enjoyment for all !

After all its for your enjoyment and pleasure this is being held.

"We need you !"

I think it's a pity that the very limited menu (especially the second course!) has to be ordered more than a month prior to the event and children are not catered for.

British mass catering at it's usual unimaginative best. ;)

Anyone for a stilton and apple sandwich.Yum! :D

I think it's a pity that the very limited menu (especially the second course!) has to be ordered more than a month prior to the event and children are not catered for.

British mass catering at it's usual unimaginative best. ;)

Anyone for a stilton and apple sandwich.Yum! :D

Further discussions with the venue on the matter are taking place.

Any hints on how to get to Harrogate from York by public transport on a Sunday morning?

We're hoping to combine the Mega Event with a weekend visiting York, but all I can see at the moment is the train at 12.18, which means we'd miss half the day...

Any hints on how to get to Harrogate from York by public transport on a Sunday morning?

We're hoping to combine the Mega Event with a weekend visiting York, but all I can see at the moment is the train at 12.18, which means we'd miss half the day...

Check out: http://www.transportdirect.info Looks like there might be a bus, but it only goes up to July. Other than that there must be a friendly cacher heading the same way?

Transport planner I usually use only goes up to the end of the month but this is a Sunday route given:

Bus
(27m)
Leave11:00	Rail Station Stop J, York City Centre, York	Service Number120ProviderFirst York 	
See details for journey leg #0
Arrive11:27 	The Paddock, Carmires, Knaresborough 
Walk
(9m)
Leave11:27	The Paddock, Carmires, Knaresborough	 	
See details for journey leg #1
Arrive11:36 	King James Road End, Carmires 
Bus
(19m)
Leave11:51	King James Road End, Carmires	Service Number100ProviderHarrogate and District Travel 	
See details for journey leg #2
Arrive12:10 	Hgte Bus Stn Stand 9, Harrogate 

The Trainline site I use shows that train to arrive in Harrogate at 12.50 so you would be at the event by 13.00 even if you walked very slowly from the station to the hotel.

At present there is no time table in place for the event but most things will be taking place after 13.00 if current planning pans out so I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on things.

Trains back seem to run at about 17.30, 18.30, 19.30 & 20.30.

There is also a new bus service being run by Harrogate & District Travel, ( X54 ) but unfortunately this does not currently run on a Sunday, things may change though if demand is there as the route has only be going for about 1 month - 6 weeks as a a trial

Edited by fat boy slow

I'm in the process of creating a map of where everyone is travelling to the Event from on the www.megaevent.org.uk site. From memory I think there is at least one other person coming from York so far.

The slightly more round-a-bout way of taking the train route would be to go via Leeds. It might take a while longer, but there might be more trains running in the morning.

After investigating public transport from Sheffield to Harrogate and finding that there is one train there that relies on the Sheffield/Leeds train NOT being its usual half an hour late :) , I've investigated the car parks.

b.gif

Hopefully here's a map I got from here

From cheapest we have

C + H £2 for 4 hours or £4 for 12 hours :)

D, E + G 60p per hour

A 90p per hour

F £1 per hour

B £1.20 per hour

A, B + C are multistory, but C has no lift.

C + G are the closest.

All open 1000-1900 on Sundays

On street parking on the red streets appears to be free on Sundays but please check the signs if you manage to get a space.

On street parking on the red streets appears to be free on Sundays but please check the signs if you manage to get a space.

There is a mass of free on-street parking on the parts of the Stray either not shown, or covered by the legend on that map.

After investigating public transport from Sheffield to Harrogate and finding that there is one train there that relies on the Sheffield/Leeds train NOT being its usual half an hour late :) , I've investigated the car parks.

.....From cheapest we have

C + H £2 for 4 hours or £4 for 12 hours :D

D, E + G 60p per hour

A 90p per hour

F £1 per hour

B £1.20 per hour

A, B + C are multistory, but C has no lift.

C + G are the closest.

All open 1000-1900 on Sundays

:)

That looks like the beginnings of an interesting puzzle cache :D

MrsB :)

There is a mass of free on-street parking on the parts of the Stray either not shown, or covered by the legend on that map.

Just to confirm that there is no need to pay for parking in the various car parks around Harrogate on Mega Event Day

Most of the street parking is free on Sundays and all the roads in the vacinity of the Hotel around the 200 acre stray are completely free !

Even with expected 500-650 cars turning up there should be no need for paying to park... although you may need to park within 10 minutes walk... but for geocaches who's hobby is to walk this should be not a problem !

There isn't a little blue balloon on the interactive map for Durham :D:D

M B)

I haven't got one either. There are 2 others near Towcester (AKA Lactodorum) but not mine. Hope my registration got through.

Don't worry it did go through.

I've quite a backlog of Geocoin orders to go through, so updating the map has gone on the backburner.

I hope to have caught up by the end of today - you never know, I might actually find the time to find a cache or two this weekend :D

There isn't a little blue balloon on the interactive map for Durham :D:D

M :D

I haven't got one either. There are 2 others near Towcester (AKA Lactodorum) but not mine. Hope my registration got through.

Don't worry it did go through.

I've quite a backlog of Geocoin orders to go through, so updating the map has gone on the backburner.

I hope to have caught up by the end of today - you never know, I might actually find the time to find a cache or two this weekend :D

Sorry Jamie I was only messing about, I did not mean nothing nasty B)

Go and find some caches we will let you, but only two :D

Can I have a pink balloon please :D

M B)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

At least the pink balloon shows up and I now know where you live on the map!!!!! :DB):D

:D:D:D

I did not know what you were on about Lilian, I had to go and have a look :D

Thats fab Jamie, ta muchly B)

Mandy :D

If you zoom right in to villages and street names it is great, the balloon does not take you to our street, but its not very far away :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

WOW we live in the "Valley Gardens".. How cool is that!! :D

I could cope with that :D

Thats another lovely area for folks to cache in whilst at the Mega if they are staying in Harrogate for a few days.....last time we were in the gardens there was a big "posh" wedding taking place.........the gardens are beautiful well worth a visit.

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess