Colorado comments have slowed down

Branky

Hello

I have been watching the various forums and noticed a drop in comments about the Colorado series.

I am thinking of buying a Colorado but I feel it is missing some features like waypoint averaging for one.

Do people think Garmin is going to fix some of these issues are just waiting for the user community to loose interest in complaining and accept things as they are?

Thanks for listening and I look forward to some comments

The last firmware update crushed many of the complaints. And people are getting more familiar with how it works. I own a 400t and am awaiting an averaging feature, hopefully, in the next update. But honestly that is all I can think of on my wish list...this unit is awesome! I finally sat my 76C on the counter...and it has been there for the last month or so.

Edited by victorymike

I wonder though, just how useful is averaging with the newer high sensitivity receivers. If you take a legend HCx or a 60/76 Cx and make a waypoint with and without averaging, I usually don't see more change then 1 or 2 in the least significant digit of the lat and long.

The lack of distance and bearing display when using the pointer arrow is a showstopper for me. (and not for geocaching but rather fieldwork). To be able to arrow over to an area and then search for waypoints/caches is also something that NEEDS to be fixed. Other than that I am very happy with the Colorado. Having all the geocache info on board is amazing! I am sure with an update or two concerns such as what I mentioned above will be addressed.

The lack of distance and bearing display when using the pointer arrow is a showstopper for me. (and not for geocaching but rather fieldwork). To be able to arrow over to an area and then search for waypoints/caches is also something that NEEDS to be fixed. Other than that I am very happy with the Colorado. Having all the geocache info on board is amazing! I am sure with an update or two concerns such as what I mentioned above will be addressed.

If I understand what you are asking you can do this with the Colorado by using the Compass page and change two of the data fields to distance and bearing.

GO$Rs

Hello

I have been watching the various forums and noticed a drop in comments about the Colorado series.

I am thinking of buying a Colorado but I feel it is missing some features like waypoint averaging for one.

Do people think Garmin is going to fix some of these issues are just waiting for the user community to loose interest in complaining and accept things as they are?

I am still very aggrivated that my Colorado 300 STILL can't keep time! If it is turned off for a couple of days it totally drops the ball on timekeeping.

Garmin did a band-aid fix on this issue by simply making the units do an automatic "Autolocate" when the internal clock has failed, which at least gets you located, but doesn't really fix the problem at all. I can't believe that Garmin can't remedy this issue once and for all! This now tells me that this ongoing clock headache must really be hardware issue after all. That's not good.

I had to send mine back to Garmin because it seems that the port on the Colorado is loose. When I hit a button or just touch it to adjust it while using it in the car I lose power for a split second. Garmin said they will send me a new one. I can't argue with that. I just hope I don't get one with issues as the one I had seem to do well. My only complaint is the freeze up on some cache descriptions. I am hoping this is fixed in the next update. I have noticed that the same descriptions that cause the Colorado to freeze up when imported witin a large GPX file seem to be vewable when imported with the Garmin Communicator. Then again, how useful is the Communicator when you want to import a few hundred caches????

Like others, I'm waiting for the next update, to see if they're going to bring it closer to the standard set by the 60CSx and Vista HCx. I'm currently using those models, but I bring the Colorado along on hikes to get entertaining 3D views. I have a subset of the big "list of missing features" that are vital to me.

Now that the list of missing features is clearly established (thank you, gocashers), and there's no hiding of Garmin's colossal fumble, I don't talk about it much. The deficiencies are out in the open and it's just a matter of waiting for Garmin to make the product function as they obviously wanted us to think it did. I can wait. I have their other excellent products, and they are serving me very well.

Edited by Manatee87

I'm just waiting to see what the next update brings before I pull the trigger. If they resolve some of the big items, I'll bite on a 300. Otherwise, it'll be a 60CSx. But I really think I'll be ending up with a 300. Garmin has too much to lose to drop this ball.

Was that enough cliches? :laughing:

Hello

I just want to get a unit that actually works...............waiting for third unit in 5 weeks..........then I'll worry about the lack of features.

I have the 400t and the 2.04 update did solve a lot of problems. Honestly most of the complaints I see now seem to fall in the "it doesn't scratch my ich the same way as my old XYZ" For me it is a quantum leap from what I had before. I was out today with people who had 60's and 76's and I felt no regret at all.

I'm planning on making the jump from the Magellan Explorist to the Colorado.

A lot of the complaints seem to stem from 60c series users, and what the Colorado lacks or omits from the 60 line. However, I know up front that the biggest complaint I'll have (and would've had with the 60 line) is that there's no ability to select a specific file of geocaches - thus I'll be stuck with the 2000 cache limit with the Colorado.

Magellan has had the option to select a specific file of caches from a list on their Explorist line from the get-go (2005?). The fact that Garmin allows me to use a 4GB card, and only allows me to use one geocache file is absurd.

So, I think the deficiencies of the Colorado all depend on what unit you're upgrading from. But after reading thousands of comments on the Colorado, this fix would be tops on my list.

So, I think the deficiencies of the Colorado all depend on what unit you're upgrading from. But after reading thousands of comments on the Colorado, this fix would be tops on my list.

Hi Dosido!

Even coming from a 60cs I would also put this high on my list of Feature "wants". Some sort of file manager (which Marky and others have suggested) on the Colorado so that you don't have to plug it into a computer would be nice. It shouldn't be limited to gpx files however, I'd like to be able to manipulate map img files as well, on both the internal memory and the SD card.

GO$Rs

If I understand what you are asking you can do this with the Colorado by using the Compass page and change two of the data fields to distance and bearing.

GO$Rs

No, what I was referring to is when you are on the map page say with a 60 and you activate the pointer arrow, the distance and bearing shows up on the top of the screen. It is critical to be able to do this with fieldwork by using this arrow to get the bearing to an object and then setting up your Silva compass to go over to it. Does that make sense?

It is critical to be able to do this with fieldwork by using this arrow to get the bearing to an object and then setting up your Silva compass to go over to it. Does that make sense?

Why can't you use the Colorado???? What is the necessity to use "another" compass?

Edited by Red90

I'm planning on making the jump from the Magellan Explorist to the Colorado.

A lot of the complaints seem to stem from 60c series users, and what the Colorado lacks or omits from the 60 line. However, I know up front that the biggest complaint I'll have (and would've had with the 60 line) is that there's no ability to select a specific file of geocaches - thus I'll be stuck with the 2000 cache limit with the Colorado.

Magellan has had the option to select a specific file of caches from a list on their Explorist line from the get-go (2005?). The fact that Garmin allows me to use a 4GB card, and only allows me to use one geocache file is absurd.

I made this exact jump and am still glad I did. Yes, I wish I could select a file, but I have decided that I can put more on another card if need be. The only time I can see a problem is if I were going on a long trip.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I am happy with my decision as a FORMER Explorist user that is now a pretty happy GARMIN owner.

Oh, I have experienced Garmin's CS and it is 2000% better than Magellan....wait...no....it actually exists!!

No, what I was referring to is when you are on the map page say with a 60 and you activate the pointer arrow, the distance and bearing shows up on the top of the screen. It is critical to be able to do this with fieldwork by using this arrow to get the bearing to an object and then setting up your Silva compass to go over to it. Does that make sense?

Hmmm. Are you talking about Sight'n Go? If so, this available from the compass page.

GO$Rs

As has been discussed, not much to be said until the next update is out. It is getting to the point that the next update could make or break the Colorado for many of us. For those of us that came from a 60 series and are missing that functionality in the Colorado it is yet to be seen if the platform change by Garmin to a Nuvi style platform will pay off for them or not. For me personally I think the refinement of the previous proven platform would have taken the 60 series into the next generation of GPSr. I can understand Gramin's attempt to standardize their newer platform and add layers (if you will) for trail units. The biggest problem I have is that they did not have much trail funtionality (let alone geocaching) when they released the Colorado. Now they are playing a game of catch up to make everything work like it should have to begin with. The final proof will be seen in the not too distant future if we see the Colorado remain the "new" and best, or is Garmin already working on the next new and best trail (and geocaching) GPSr? Once again, there are features of the Colorado that I like, so bring those new features together with what we already had in the 60 series and I would be much happier still. Waiting for the next update :laughing:

Hmmm. Are you talking about Sight'n Go? If so, this available from the compass page.

GO$Rs

Nope. If you have a 60 or pretty much any unit except the CO, from the map page activate the map pointer by using the rocker. If you look at the top of the map it says Map Pointer and indicates the distance and bearing from your current location to the map pointer. That's what I need. It is a very basic function that has been around forever, probably even the 12XL had it. Now it seems to be gone. It was also nice to arrow over to an area and then search that area for geocaches, waypoints, or whatnot. Can't do that either, it seems.

Nope. If you have a 60 or pretty much any unit except the CO, from the map page activate the map pointer by using the rocker. If you look at the top of the map it says Map Pointer and indicates the distance and bearing from your current location to the map pointer. That's what I need. It is a very basic function that has been around forever, probably even the 12XL had it. Now it seems to be gone. It was also nice to arrow over to an area and then search that area for geocaches, waypoints, or whatnot. Can't do that either, it seems.

Got it. The Colorado doesn't have quite the same feature although if you move around the map page and hit enter (the center button on the RnR) you'll get a distance, elevation and coordinates at the point you clicked on.

The Colorado does not have a way to search from the cursor on the map -- this is a common complaint. The only workaround is to drop a waypoint and search from there.

GO$Rs

It is critical to be able to do this with fieldwork by using this arrow to get the bearing to an object and then setting up your Silva compass to go over to it. Does that make sense?

Why can't you use the Colorado???? What is the necessity to use "another" compass?

Because generally when one is working in the bush, one relies on a real mirror compass, not the electronic one included with the unit. Maybe not necessary with today's generation of GPS'rs, but it is what is done. If you think about it, GPSrs haven't been all that reliable under heavy canopy until fairly recently anyways(i.e- the introduction of high sensitivity receivers) so that's why the old traditional compasses are still used. I never use the electronic compass on my unit, even for caching.

Besides, I would hope that you carry "another" compass when out in the woods, at least as a backup.

Got it. The Colorado doesn't have quite the same feature although if you move around the map page and hit enter (the center button on the RnR) you'll get a distance, elevation and coordinates at the point you clicked on.

GO$Rs

Unfortunately for me there is no bearing displayed to that point. (no elevation either with Topo Canada). I guess one just has to be patient for the next update and hope for the best. It's a great unit other than the odd thing here and there.

It seems that while garmin has added a lot of geocache features to the colorado it has lost some very basic and important navigation features such as trackback and as Malibooboo points out the ability to use the pointer to get a distance and heading to a point on the map, average a waypoint for increased accuracy, etc.

So while the Geocache people seem happy with the unit, those of us that use it for field work and navigation are less than impressed.

It will be interesting to see what future updates bring, but in the past the focus has been more on making functions work, than adding features, so I would not expect garmin to add a LOT of features to the unit, more likely work out the bugs on current features. As it stands right now, there's no way the colorado would go with me into the field to do work compared to my simple etrex legend hcx. However, no one knows till the firmware updates come out. I'd guess we have not heard much because most of the issues have been pretty well hashed over and until a new update comes out, the info is pretty well out there.

Edited by toddm

So while the Geocache people seem happy with the unit, those of us that use it for field work and navigation are less than impressed.

That's a good point toddm. I love the Colorado for geocaching yet I don't use it for work yet. Waiting patiently for improvements by Garmin.

That's a good point toddm. I love the Colorado for geocaching yet I don't use it for work yet. Waiting patiently for improvements by Garmin.

My opinion as well. My trusty 60Cx is what I use in the field with my work. I carry my 300 to constantly compare. As wisely said, for caching the 300 is awesome. We all wait to see how the Colorado will grow and mature.