Quick question about mapsource and custom maps

Bit of a nob question but here goes. I have downloaded several of the custom map sets for Mapsource as listed here in these forums and others. And they all work great, but is there a way to open more than one at the same time. For example I have a set of topo maps loaded for Utah and a set of trail track maps as well. Is there a way to open both so that I can see were the trails are relative to info on the topos (roads, cities, ect.) Overlaid as it were. All I have as official Garmin product is the Trip and Waypoint manager but I have seen screen shots of these custom trail maps overlaid over other map-sets in Mapsource. Thanks for any help PG

The quick answer is no.

This is not entirely correct for Garmin maps, since your are talking about "Custom Maps".

Most individuals make their custom maps "transparent" meaning that they will appear even if other maps are also visible on your GPSr map screen. The map maker does have to make it "transparent". To go into more detail... as the opening post question asks, yes you can have a Garmin Topo Map or any another Garmin map or another custom made topo map and another custom map all appear on your GPSr screen at the same time and do just what you're wanting... to be able to see your custom trail map in proximity to everything else on another map. This is just one of several reasons why custom maps are so beneficial.

I personally use up to 3 different maps all visible at the same time on my 60CSx. I have showing on my map screen page CN N.A. NT v8, plus a custom made topo map plus a custom made trail map with a lot of hunting, woods roads, and other info. all showing on my GPSr screen at the same time, and the nice thing about the 2 custom maps being seperate is that I can toggle any of the 3 maps off if I want less information on my GPSr screen.

Edited by eaparks

Bit of a nob question but here goes. I have downloaded several of the custom map sets for Mapsource as listed here in these forums and others. And they all work great, but is there a way to open more than one at the same time. For example I have a set of topo maps loaded for Utah and a set of trail track maps as well. Is there a way to open both so that I can see were the trails are relative to info on the topos (roads, cities, ect.) Overlaid as it were. All I have as official Garmin product is the Trip and Waypoint manager but I have seen screen shots of these custom trail maps overlaid over other map-sets in Mapsource. Thanks for any help PG

You can not overlay two maps in Mapsource. If your "trail track map" is not too extensive you could trace the trails with the Track Draw Tool then view the resulting track file by changing over to your Topo map.

Edited by rws
Bit of a nob question but here goes. I have downloaded several of the custom map sets for Mapsource as listed here in these forums and others. And they all work great, but is there a way to open more than one at the same time.
As others have noted you can only see one map at a time within MapSource.

...but I have seen screen shots of these custom trail maps overlaid over other map-sets in Mapsource.
Either you're seeing a custom map that includes the trails or you're seeing a map with the trails loaded in as tracks...