Can I Be A Travel Bug?

mrtgr71

Well, basically many of us just activate a tag to use as Personal TB. I assigned my shadow to be the bug and while I usually take it with me I do have the tag attached to my car keys. (Hey, maybe it'll help if I should happen lose them)

No real trick to it. Just make sure the person (or thing) who is the travel bug actually visits the cache to be able to be log through it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well, basically many of us just activate a tag to use as Personal TB. I assigned my shadow to be the bug and while I usually take it with me I do have the tag attached to my car keys. (Hey, maybe it'll help if I should happen lose them)

No real trick to it. Just make sure the person (or thing) who is the travel bug actually visits the cache to be able to be log through it.

Hmmm, question about this then. If I were to make a TB as me -- to keep personal miles etc. Could I retro dip the TB into caches I've been to have a legit figuring of mileage? Or is that frowned upon. If I was to do that, how would I do it? Drop it in and out and then delete the logs at the cache?

Or, should this not be done? I'd want to do it on the up-and-up, but when I started caching, I didn't have a TB. I'd love to have a legit one that shows every cache I've been to and mileage.

Thanks for any thoughts on this one.

My kiddo, 8, has her own GeoJelly Geocoin. I am scanning it and printing it on transfer paper and ironing it to a t-shirt for her for the summer caching season. I'll be doing one for our youngest, 2 years old, too, so if we run into any cachers they can log them :unsure:

Easy to do and with photoshop I'll be adding a little text, like the tracking number and such :laughing:

Naomi :laughing:

. Could I retro dip the TB into caches I've been to have a legit figuring of mileage? Or is that frowned upon. If I was to do that, how would I do it? Drop it in and out and then delete the logs at the cache?

Yes you can. Just post a note on the cache using the date of your find explaining what you are doing and that you will delete the note. The delete option shows up immediately after posting the note and selecting delete option will not affect the bug tracking.

Warning- back-logging and logging a personal TB through every cache can be very tedious.

Yes you can. Just post a note on the cache using the date of your find explaining what you are doing and that you will delete the note. The delete option shows up immediately after posting the note and selecting delete option will not affect the bug tracking.

Warning- back-logging and logging a personal TB through every cache can be very tedious.

Yeah, that's why I'd like to do it now -- I've only found 44 caches. :laughing: I want to do it before I go on a binge and actually get a lot more in regard to finds!

Thanks for the help. I'll likely activate one of these TBs tonight and start trying to catch up. :laughing:

Yeah, that's why I'd like to do it now -- I've only found 44 caches. :laughing: I want to do it before I go on a binge and actually get a lot more in regard to finds!

Thanks for the help. I'll likely activate one of these TBs tonight and start trying to catch up. :laughing:

I'd like to do it also and try to play catch up. How long will it take to relog 3000+ caches? :laughing:

. Could I retro dip the TB into caches I've been to have a legit figuring of mileage? Or is that frowned upon. If I was to do that, how would I do it? Drop it in and out and then delete the logs at the cache?

Thanks. This answers my question also. With less than 200 finds it shouldn't take too long (crosses fingers)

I was wondering if I or my son be the travel bug so we can log ourself from cache to cach?

You can do this if you don't mind extended periods of being cooped up in a Tupperware container or ammo can (much darker in there than in the Tupperware) for long periods of time between visitors, and if you are willing to do some of the hiking it takes to get to the cache, as you or son might be too heavy to carry all the way to a cache. ;) ;) ;)

All kidding aside, there are actually a few people who have had tatoos of the TB bug and tracking number. And there are others who have made their vehicles a TB. You can be a TB if you want to.

But no virtual logging, or you could be locked! ;)

I dont really know how to make my son the travel bug

What you do is, you put the tag around his neck, and then you pick him up and stuff him into your caching bag and toss it into the back seat, and then a few weeks later you get a little asterisk reminder from Groundspeak saying that there's been no activity on the bug for a few weeks, so you hastily look for the nearest TB hotel to drop him off in, and then you start getting a lot of "discovery" logs saying what a cute little guy your son is, and they would have taken him out of the TB Hotel except that they didn't have another bug to trade for him, and the hotel rules said that they had to...

:laughing:

Oh my. I might have to take one of my TBs and turn myself into one. That would be wild stuff. Wear the tag like a dog tag from the military. Outstanding idea!

Check out this TB, and this one. :D

A good tattoo artist can make a nice TB tattoo for you . . . :laughing:

Just as I have had done.

i have the dupe tags from dead bugs, i can reactivate one of those and make it me? the weather crummy, i can stay home and put myself in and out of caches and get caught up. i have less than 200.

rsg

i have the dupe tags from dead bugs, i can reactivate one of those and make it me? the weather crummy, i can stay home and put myself in and out of caches and get caught up. i have less than 200.

rsg

Well, the thing is you can’t reactivate lost bugs but you can re-release them. You can change the name and mission and attached traveler but you should keep all the old logs intact.

You can use a lost bug as a personal TB but you might want to use one that hasn’t been logged through a bunch of caches already. Up to you.

As for your missing bugs still listed in caches you should mark them as missing so people aren't making a trip out to a cache thinking there is a TB in. On the bug page, under Travel Bug Owner Options is a pull down menu labeled 'Recalculate Distance', in there is the option "Mark Bug Missing". This will put the bug out to an Unknown Location.

You can always retrieve the bug back out at a later time if it is found or re-released.

Edited by BlueDeuce

rsg

Well, the thing is you can’t reactivate lost bugs but you can re-release them. You can change the name and mission and attached traveler but you should keep all the old logs intact.

You can use a lost bug as a personal TB but you might want to use one that hasn’t been logged through a bunch of caches already. Up to you.

As for your missing bugs still listed in caches you should mark them as missing so people aren't making a trip out to a cache thinking there is a TB in. On the bug page, under Travel Bug Owner Options is a pull down menu labeled 'Recalculate Distance', in there is the option "Mark Bug Missing". This will put the bug out to an Unknown Location.

You can always retrieve the bug back out at a later time if it is found or re-released.

thank you for telling me how to mark it missing, i was just going to look that up! one of my bugs never went anywhere. the guy picked it up and that was that. i may re-release that one and then take one of the other two and make it me.

thanks again! the two really missing bugs were in caches that were muggled or destroyed, so at least no one is out there looking for the bugs.

rsg

rsg

You can use a lost bug as a personal TB but you might want to use one that hasn’t been logged through a bunch of caches already. Up to you. ...

how do i zero out its mileage so that only my personal milage will show if i use a lost bug tracking number and tag?

The only way would be to delete all the logs. Of course that will remove the stat for all the people who had assisted your bug, not a nice thing to do.

ooh, ok, won't be doing that.

i had one bug that never moved before being stolen. so i grabbed it back from the guy that picked up and started afresh. takes a while to do all those pages!

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I am for the first time starting a travelbug of my own, actually two travelbugs. One I'm making my bicycle the travelbug (TB213GR) and the other one is a normal little stuffed animal dog(TB213JF). I have both of their goals to compete with each other.

On April 30th, my family and I will be flying down to Pensacola, Florida and then riding our bicycles to Owen Sound, Ontario following the Underground Railroad (it'll take about 2 months). Of course I will be geocaching along the way. I leave the dog travelbug in Florida and its job is to try to beat me and the Bike Bug to Owen Sound.

If you want to kept track of our progress just watch the bugs' webpages. There aren't pictures up yet, but their will be soon when I get around to it.

What do you think?

I am for the first time starting a travelbug of my own, actually two travelbugs. One I'm making my bicycle the travelbug (TB213GR) and the other one is a normal little stuffed animal dog(TB213JF). I have both of their goals to compete with each other.

On April 30th, my family and I will be flying down to Pensacola, Florida and then riding our bicycles to Owen Sound, Ontario following the Underground Railroad (it'll take about 2 months). Of course I will be geocaching along the way. I leave the dog travelbug in Florida and its job is to try to beat me and the Bike Bug to Owen Sound.

If you want to kept track of our progress just watch the bugs' webpages. There aren't pictures up yet, but their will be soon when I get around to it.

What do you think?

Sounds like a great Idea. I think you will beat the dog travel bug. :laughing: