What are the limitations when using Garmin topo maps with a nuvi?

D0T-C0M

I am trying to find info on the nature of the limitations of the Garmin Topo Canada maps (I'm assuming all topo maps have the same limitations) when used with a nuvi 660 (or any other nuvi I am assuming)

Here is a FAQ I found on their site

Question: Will US Topo SD preprogrammed cards work in my nüvi®?

Answer:

The US Topo SD card will work in the nüvi. However, it will not give you as much detail as this information would in an outdoor or handheld unit. Also, you will need to make sure you set your Map View to North Up or Track Up to properly see this information. You do this in your Settings (wrench) and Map tab.

Now if less detail means I won't see the topo info regarding elevation, POIs etc. thats fine. I just want the trails , dirt roads and bodies of water to show up. I have the Ibycus maps but as luck would have it the roads are not competed for my area or else this would have been perfect for me.

Edited by D0T-C0M

I dont know much about the nuvi, but its interesting for a car unit....It would seem that most people enjoy using the topo maps with it for some reason other than the fact that the maps are not capable of autorouting, which I would think is the sole reason for having a nuvi in the first place (simply routing a car around).....if you havent read much elsewhere go here for more info

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6867

Edited by gratefulHIKE

I dont know much about the nuvi, but its interesting for a car unit....It would seem that most people enjoy using the topo maps with it for some reason other than the fact that the maps are not capable of autorouting, which I would think is the sole reason for having a nuvi in the first place (simply routing a car around).....if you havent read much elsewhere go here for more info

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6867

I would use the nuvi with the navigator or metro maps while it would be installed in my van but in my truck while hunting I would like to be able to use the topo maps while hunting or scouting new terrain.

Thanks for your reply

D0T-C0M,

You're getting some bogus information regarding the nuvi's and topo maps. I have a nuvi200W and a Vista HCx both show the same information with Topo 2008. I too was originally going to use the nuvi in the jeep for hunting but I decided against it since inside the jeep is really a hostile environment, mechanical shock and dust. So I decided to buy the Vista for the Jeep and for hunting, geocaching was just a bonus. The screen size is great on the nuvi200W but the controls are clumbersome for in the field. This winter we took a snowcoach into Yellowstone and I had the nuvi with the 24K parks and it showed all the detail my Vista does.

With my nuvi 660 (current firmware and detail set to highest) I get no topographic contours with either Topo 2008, the older US Topo, or the 24K National Parks maps. With the Wyoming maps from http://MiscJunk.org I get contours.

I do get all the roads and streams, etc., just no contours. I'd love to find out there was a simple fix for this. Maybe its a change from the 600 series to the newer models.

Topo_2008.gif Topo 2008

MiscJunk_topo.gif MiscJunk topo

I believe you also lose auto-routing with Topo. Right?

I use a Nuvi 660 at work, and my boss let's me use it for whatever I want. However, I don't take it caching much cause my Vista HCx can do everything I get out of the Nuvi, and then some. I would use the Nuvi more it if supported tracks, and if the customized POIs would show up on the screen further out than the 300 foot zoom level. What's up with that? Can Garmin re-program them? I'd pay a reasonable amount.

After considering my options I removed the SD card which contains the some of the Garmin topo maps, the MiscJunk maps, and some mp3s. At that point the US Topo and the Topo 2008 maps in the nuvi memory work as expected.

The initial indication is that the maps all work, just not all the time. The maps on the card work when the card is in, but apparently the maps in the internal memory don't work when the card is in. I'll try reinstalling the maps tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

Any ideas are welcome.

Edited by allory

After re-installing the maps on the card everything is working together nicely. In the original install I had some Topo USA in the nuvi internal memory and some on the card, same with Topo 2008. Now each map type is only located in one place, either internal or on the card. I can't say that is what was causing the problems, but the problems have gone away.

After re-installing the maps on the card everything is working together nicely. In the original install I had some Topo USA in the nuvi internal memory and some on the card, same with Topo 2008. Now each map type is only located in one place, either internal or on the card. I can't say that is what was causing the problems, but the problems have gone away.
Good to hear, that's reassuring. I'm considering the Nuvi 205W for mostly viewing topo maps. Much larger screen than the Colorado at 40% of the cost.