How do you organize your backpack?

softball29

Funny this topic came up, I just got my first ever backpack today and it's purpose?

Geocaching.

I use it to carry pencils, swag, gps, camera and geocoins/travel bugs but will not also carry some wipes, towels and extra log sheets as well. Gonna have to watch this thread for more ideas.

Since most of my geocaching is suburban, I use two small shoulder bags. The main bag is about 9" tall by 8" wide by 4" deep. I have a second bag a bit smaller with bigger swag in it ( (this Victorinox Fanny Packis similar - mine does not have the water bottle carrier; I found it at the thrift store). My first geocaching bag was earthtones; but I found that I was having a hard time locating it in tall grass when on the final hunt (within 10'), so I switched to a bright red bag. I have found the local thrift store is a great place for geocaching bags. Often, the freebie bags people receive at conventions end up at the thrift store for pennies compared to the hiking stores. Your purchase also helps the organization that runs the thrift store (ARC, Salvation Army and DAV in my area).

In my main bag I carry my GPSr, digital camera, PDA, tweezers, flashlight, hand wipes, nitrile gloves, small swag, pen, pencil, handouts about geocaching, a few bandages, compass, extra batteries, extra key for truck (yes, I locked myself out once!), and cell phone. The other bag carries larger swag and leather gloves. If I am mainly looking for micros or small caches, then I only take my primary bag. If I am going after larger caches, then I also take the bag with bigger swag. Although I don't really care about swag that much anymore, I do like to leave goodies for children who may be out caching with adults. People were nice to me when I was a kid, so I am trying to pay back.

When I do have time to go into the woods, then I put my main geocaching bag in my daypack with food, water, dog treats (for my dogs--not me), first aid, sunscreen and other hiking-related goodies.

Also, by having my geocaching bag so compact, I can keep the bag with me in case I get a few minutes in a different part of town to grab a few caches.

Have fun,

Outspoken1

I have a Mountainsmith Lumbar pack that has three main compartments. I keep specific things in each of those compartments to have things more organized. I keep my cell phone, spare pen, spare PDA stylus, and spare car key in the smallest compartment.

I also use ziplock bags to keep things together. Matches, tweezers, mirror, etc. in one, first aid items in another, etc. The spare batteries are in another small zippered container. My swag items are in a neoprene camera case on the belt and my camera is in another case on the belt.

I like the idea of the ziplock bags.

I have all my pencils/pens, notebook etc. in the front pouch. In the middle, bigger one, I've put a pair of gloves and a few things like that. But then there's the big one, where I have a bunch of other things usually bouncing around. Maybe the ziplock bags would be a good way to keep things organized better. :unsure:

Maybe the ziplock bags would be a good way to keep things organized better. :laughing:

I started out using ziplocks but switched to nylon ditty bags with drawstrings. They compress down to the size of what they are holding, and I have them in different colors for different things, green is swag, gray is travelers, etc.

Maybe the ziplock bags would be a good way to keep things organized better. :laughing:

I started out using ziplocks but switched to nylon ditty bags with drawstrings. They compress down to the size of what they are holding, and I have them in different colors for different things, green is swag, gray is travelers, etc.

Hmm, I like that idea. Where'd you pick those up? At a Wal-Mart or something?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I set out with a gps, camera, a few pens in my pocket and hand-written notes, and that's it. Everything I need fits in my pockets.

That's how I did it before too but found it there's more to it... Things to help keep the cache in good repair (pencils, paper, replacement/stock up swag, towel to dry it), flashlight, etc, etc, etc. For quick park and grabs you don't need much but if you have to walk a distance it's nice to have it all with you.

I use a medium sized bag that buckles around my waist. Two compartments.. one with zip locks of swag, and my camera; the other is for pens, TBs and GeoCoins, a mag light, a calculator, and a couple spare compasses. But, like neckom, if it is a short walk I often leave that in the car and go with a pen, compass, aerial photo and a trade item.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I set out with a gps, camera, a few pens in my pocket and hand-written notes, and that's it. Everything I need fits in my pockets.

It depends on the kinds of caches a person prefers to look for . . . :) For the kinds of caches I like to find, the most important things I take with me are food and water. :D

It depends on the kinds of caches a person prefers to look for . . . :D For the kinds of caches I like to find, the most important things I take with me are food and water. :)

Well that's very true. If I were out to find a cache that involved a substantial hike I would want to bring food or water along. Most of the caches around here, however, involve no more than a mile or two of walking round-trip, so I really don't need anything besides the clothes on my back and my GPS to find 'em.

I have a Mountainsmith Approach II which is full of pockets for organizing.

It has two long and narrow side pockets where I keep an emergency bivy in one and a flashlight, headlamp, ClifF bars and my mini camera tripod in the other.

On the front is a fairly large, wide, flat pocket. Inside that pocket is a smaller, mesh pocket. Inside that mesh pocket go extra batteries, lighter, waterproof matches, water purification tabs, Leatherman tool a survival whistle and other very small items. In the larger pocket go a first aid kit, fire starters, a length of parachute cord, compass, maps, insect repellent and headnet. Also any cache swag I bring goes here.

IIn the large, main compartment goes extra clothing (rain parka, fleece pullover, extra socks and in winter, a down vest and hat). Lunch will also go into this compartment, which also has a sleeve for a hydration bladder (I use Camelbak Unbottle or Platypus Hoser). Anything that goes into this compartment goes in stuff sacks and ditty bags. Clothing in one, food in another, miscellaneous other items in even another. This way I can just grab the sack containing the items I want (they are different colors) rather than digging through everything in the main compartment.

These stuff sacks and ditty bags are the key to organization. I used them for years when backpacking and only recently started using them for day hikes.

My digital camera usually goes in one of the side water bottle holders, allowing me to reach it without taking the pack off. Because I have a hydration bladder I don't need to carry water bottles.

Organize???

I just stuff things in there and head out. Some base items are always in there but I don't have any special places for anything.

Glad I'm not the only one... :)

Some stuff lands in the bag, some stuff lands in one of my many pockets, and it's never in the same place twice in a row. At the cache I probably look like Columbo, the way he used to pat every single pocket of his coat while looking vaguely puzzled as he searched for something. "I know it's here somewhere..."

Here is what I have: Outdoor Research Helium Ditty Bags. You probably could find something similar cheaper elsewhere, these were an impulse buy.

Hmm, I like that idea. Where'd you pick those up? At a Wal-Mart or something?

I just purchased a Maxpedition Fayboy bag. Way too cool....lots of pockets for organizing stuff. I've started using it as my "everyday" bag...being a nurse I carry a bunch of stuff with me and like a bag that allows me to organized everthing well. Mazpedition makes an entire line of bags from fanny-packs to larger backpacks with something for everyone. Some of the bags, mine included, are designed for concealed carry of a handgun.

On longer caching trips that include hiking, I have a pack from Northface that has a hydration pouch and just enough room/pockets for those longer trips where you might need a jacket or more food.

Right now, since I'm stuck in West Texas (Air Force) where most of the caching does not involve much hiking so my "urban" bag works great. I guess you have to set up your rig based on where/how you cache.

I bought some of those "bank bag" style pouches at Walmart. I wrote on them with permanent marker, labeling them "first aid", "tools", "supplies", "travel bugs", etc. If I'm going on a short cache run where I don't need the full kit (i.e. not far from the car) I can just grab the bag that I want to take. Otherwise they are all in my backpack.

One word of caution on the first aid kit...put each item in a ziplock bag before it goes into your pouch. That way if something leaks it only messes up the inside of the ziplock (can you tell I learned this one the hard way?). Good luck! ;)

I'm about to give up on the back pack idea completely. I tend to hit the hard to get to caches that require a lot of bushwacking. As soon as I can find a suitable pair, I'm switching to cargo pants that have a lot of pockets. I'm tired of the backpack getting hung on limbs and thorns. If you're doing a series of caches that swinging a backpack up onto your back just becomes a pain.

Any suggestions for pants? I might even go with military-style leg bags.

It depends on the kinds of caches a person prefers to look for . . . ;) For the kinds of caches I like to find, the most important things I take with me are food and water. ;)

A lot of times a backpack gets in the way and can get kinda heavy. I dont believe if you are out on the hunt you really need to take food. Run back to the car and go get a sandwich at Jasons Deli and get back to caching. Everything fits in my pockets. Get a belt attatchmend for your gps and your good to go. Just take water in hand and pens in pockets. I think if you absolutely need a bag, get a waist pack to put the essentials in ;)